Camera straps - What do you use?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Since I've been awaiting the arrival of my X100, I've had a lot of time to explore and consider what accessories I might like to use with it. Recently I've been thinking about camera straps.

In the past I've always just used the camera straps included from the manufacturer, and never really considered that there might be nicer alternatives. As I became a more active photographer, spending hours walking around cities with my Canon T2i and later 60D, my neck started to get sore from the strap rubbing against my skin. After some research I discovered sling straps, and decided to purchase a Luma Loop. After a few months of use, I'm pretty happy with it. I would often carry my DSRL in this manner before, and it's nice now that the strap never gets in the way. The only downside is the camera tends to shift and bounce a little when walking.

Luma makes a smaller strap for compact cameras that I've been considering, the LoopIt.

It seems like a nice simple solution. I've never really owned a compact camera though, where a traditional neck strap might not be such a burden. If I go this route I'd probably find a nice leather one to age well.

What kind of straps do you use with your cameras?
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • With camera bag, have no use for a another over shoulder strap too cumbersome, my preference is op/tech wrist strap soft cheep and strong, http://www.optech-online.co.uk/
    On the wrist means in hand and ready to shoot/ :)
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    wrist...best solution and I can put it anywhere, waist pouch etc etc
    If want to share a neck strap with DSLR...marry a neck strap to 2 C clips at the ends...that will allow you to change the cameras with the strap.
    Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Interesting, I hadn't considered a wrist strap before, I'm just so used to my larger DSLR! You guys make a very good point though, a wrist strap plus a simple sling bag or pouch might be just right. I had gotten in the habit of leaving my bag behind when I'm walking around the city with my 60D.

I bet the wrist strap makes the camera a little more inconspicuous too, which is perfect for street photography.

I could always buy an extra loop connector to use my Luma Loop strap on rare occasions, too.

Thanks guys!
  • ChristopherChristopher
    eBay has some nice looking leather hand straps that are pretty inexpensive. This one looks sturdy:

Or something a little more simple:

leather wrist straps
  • MacMac
    Live in Sweden and have just ordered my X100. Hope to get it May 5. I would love a leather strap and a leather wrist strap. Do you guys know any good seller that ships to Sweden?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community Mac!

It looks like most of the sellers in China and Hong Kong will ship to Sweden. Hopefully the import taxes aren't too high for items like this. I know a lot of eBay sellers will mark the customs forms as a 'gift'.

Leica users are a popular target for these nice leather straps, I usually search for 'Leica leather' on eBay to find new items.

A popular brand I've found is Cam-in, here's some of their simple leather straps:

white leather camera strap

brown leather camera strap
  • MarkBMarkB
    I have been using the X100 in its leather base and neck strap. However, I am now looking to switch to a wrist strap. I am looking at the Artisan and Artist straps made in Japan:

http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/acam290.htm

I have posted a couple of times on the subject:

http://www.x100photo.co.uk/getting-to-grips-with-the-camera/
    http://www.x100photo.co.uk/out-street-shooting-with-x100/

Regards,
    MarkB
    www.X100Photo.co.uk

• Have tried a leather wrist strap found them uncomfortable and chaff the skin being hard. the soft very comfy optech (see my post above) also comes in several colours. I have one on each of my 2 cameras. wonderful and reasonable priced.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    You make a good point Seaton, it must take a long time to break in a leather strap. My Luma Loop has neoprene as a base, like the Optech straps, it's nice not to have to endure the break in period.
  • I have a couple of the Optech straps that I've used with Micro 4/3 cameras and they are very comfortable as long as the weather is mild. When it's warm out, my wrist gets quite sweaty with the neoprene. Maybe I just have sweaty wrists or something.

I just got my X100 today and I knew I would never use the neck strap. I took a leather Gordy's wrist strap off my Leica M6 and put it on the X100. I think that will be what I stick with as its proven to be very comfortable over time. If you are interested in the Gordys line you can find them here: http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community @RustedChrome! I was checking out Gordy Straps today, photographers seem to rave about them. How long have you had yours? Do you feel like it had a break-in period before it was comfortable? After walking around all day shooting photos today with the neck strap, it's definitely not ideal.

I'd like to get a wrist strap asap and perhaps a sling strap for longer days.
  • MikeeNuMikeeNu
    I use a Gordy camera strap I've had on my E-P1. It's very comfortable once worn in and the style is clean and minimalistic. Very nice with the x100!
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community @MikeeNu!

I think I'm sold on the Gordy strap, seems perfect. The price is really reasonable too!
  • Welcome to the community @RustedChrome! I was checking out Gordy Straps today, photographers seem to rave about them. How long have you had yours? Do you feel like it had a break-in period before it was comfortable? After walking around all day shooting photos today with the neck strap, it's definitely not ideal.

I'd like to get a wrist strap asap and perhaps a sling strap for longer days.

Thanks Christopher,
    I've had the Gordy's strap for about 3 months. I didn't feel like it took any break-in period at all. I suppose it will get more pliant with age but it's comfortable right out of the box.
  • seaton carewseaton carew
    I agree with RustedChrome, have neck strap in a draw somewhere very uncomfortable.
  • RobnamoRobnamo
    Hi, this is my first post

I use an Annie Barton 1972 strap for the X100

http://cgi.ebay.ph/LEATHER-CAMERA-STRAP-LEICA-PENTAX-CANON-NIKON-SLRs-/220700813857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362cb2a21

The Gordy's Strap stays with my other Fujifilm camera, the Klasse S

Cheers
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community @Robnamo! Those Annie Barton straps looks really nice, they have some unusual details that are nice. Thanks for the tip!

I'm being really indecisive on what strap to use. Another day with my X100 and I didn't mind the neck strap quite as much. The wrist strap might be more inconspicuous for street shooting, but I might get tired of carrying it for hours.

Those of you who do use wrist straps, do you also carry a camera bag or pouch with you to put the camera in when you're not using it?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Flickr user garycruz posted some nice photos of the X100 with a Gordy strap, take a look.

2011-05-07-15-07-19 X100 Gordy Strap
  • Just got word from Gordy that my long natural color strap with red stitching has shipped!! I also ordered the rubber o-ring protector thing. Plan is to work the leather to darken it so it matches the luigi case, when it eventually arrives (sometime this year, hopefully).
  • I use a Domke Gripper.

I think it has a bit too many hard plastic pieces that can potentially damage some parts of the camera (the viewfinder, for example) if not stored carefully.
  • seaton carewseaton carew
    I also use a wrist strap stated before along with the "Lowepro Passport sling" very comfy and holds 2C/C cameras + momopod spare batts and cards.it also doesn't stand out as a camera bag.
  • superlumsuperlum
    I just got my Gordy wrist strap. Loving it so far.

The Gordy wrist strap on my X100
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Looks great, I like the red accent. How are you liking your soft release? Looks like a Tom Abrahamsson?
  • superlumsuperlum

Looks great, I like the red accent. How are you liking your soft release? Looks like a Tom Abrahamsson?

@Christopher I am liking the soft release and it is a Tom Abrahamsson. Maybe I should have gotten the red to match the strap :)

I tried the soft release and strap today coming back from work and both are really nice.

• kentfotokentfoto
    cool suggestions for straps on here...

I've been using a Up-Strap RF. Also used the Up-Strap RF with a Leica M3...great non-slip strap.

I've also heard the leather strap that comes with the leather case is pretty nice.
    Kent // Photojournalist based in Honolulu, HI
  • I have heard good things about the Gordy's Camera straps from a friend who swears by them and have just ordered one myself. I will no doubt blog my findings but already it appears good value for money.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community @Documentally, it's great to have you with us! I'm a big fan of your work :)

I don't think you can go wrong with the Gordy Strap, good choice.
  • garywhlygarywhly
    I use a Artisan & Artist neck strap (Red) it matches the viewfinder selector, what do you guys think?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community @garywhly! Big fan of the red strap!

It looks like twitpic's images don't embed well, but here's a link to your photo: http://twitpic.com/52i4zw/full
  • garywhlygarywhly
    Many thanks Christopher, I'm going the flickr rout from now on to show my files
  • Gordy strap

• xtianyvesxtianyves
    I just got my Artisan and Artist cloth strap for my X100 and I love it. It's wide, comfortable and best of all, adjustable in length! The one downside is the cost =( Then again the X100 wasn't cheap to begin with.

I got mine from Leica Boutique in Montreal since Popflash never has these in stock nor does PhotoVillage in NYC. I got the red because I plan on getting a red Tom Abrahamsson MiniSoftie this week. He's nice and close by so I'll just head on over to meet him for coffee and get a couple--maybe one red and one chrome or black!

Fujifilm Finepix X100 + Artisan and Artist Strap = Love
  • ChristopherChristopher
    That really is a great looking strap, a great match for the X100! Terrific photo too!

I've been tempted to get one myself, though I'm waiting to decide on a half-case first.
  • michaelmichael
    After ready this page im sold on a wrist strap over the neck strap. Gordy make is quite distictive.
  • skunkeingskunkeing
    I just purchased a black cloth Artisan and Artist strap from photo village in NYC. It's branded under Voigtlander, but it's definitely the A&A quality you'd expect. A beautiful neck strap that is a thousand time more comfortable than the stock X100 strap. It's not adjustable which cuts down on bulk and it's shorter than the fuji which I like a lot more. It seems to sit perfectly on my chest. Not too high...not to low and bouncy.

Spent the morning shooting in the heat with the Fuji strap and the afternoon with the A&A strap...no comparison.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welcome to the community @skunkeing! A&A's straps are really nice, I'm surprised there aren't more cotton webbing camera straps on the market. The Voigtlander strap is a definite classic!
  • Stephen_LStephen_L
    Question about the Tom Abrahamsson soft release.. is it loose for you guys? Because I lost mines a day after I got it.. I was super bummed out..
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I'm always careful to check that mine is secure, I've heard lots of stories of them coming loose. Some people use Teflon tape on the threads or even glue them into place.
  • bigboybigboy
    I just got the Gordy strap. I like the quality and looks, but does anyone find it uncomfortable? I feel like it's too thick and it gets in way, it affects my grip. I have the strap between my index and middle finger for best feel.
  • mattmabermattmaber
    I now want both the Gordy wrist strap & the sling in red & black =D
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • SamOSamO
    Am I the only that finds that the neck strap allows you to comfortably and most important inconspicuously to shoot from the hip? (well more from the chest, but you get gist)

I find that comes in handy when I really don't want to interfere my subjects
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Red Gordy wrist strap ordered!
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Welome @SamO! I feel like a neck strap is inconspicuous compared to holding your hand out and using a wrist strap, but I find it to be far more difficult to frame shots.
  • SamOSamO
    Good point @Christopher, I decided to buy a wrist strap and give it a try
  • mattmabermattmaber
    I plan on having both attached, but a dedicated wrist strap seems more secure and useful than my usual neck strap wrapped around my hand
  • jjgodjjgod
    I'm currently using a Gordy one, but I found that the CAM-IN straps also worth checking and I've bought one of these: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6699331785

They sell leather straps in all different flavors in here: http://cam-in.taobao.com/?search=y&scid=181271199&scname=Q0FNLWluINXmxqSxs7T4&checkedRange=true&queryType=cat (which is unfortunately not in English)
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    hi jj...

saw the chinese website. Nice..and the price...very nice.

Wish i saw this earlier..

Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • bigboy said:

I just got the Gordy strap. I like the quality and looks, but does anyone find it uncomfortable? I feel like it's too thick and it gets in way, it affects my grip. I have the strap between my index and middle finger for best feel.

I've been reading up on this forum for a few days now and today I finally got my X100. I went to check it out at my local seller and I find it too thick and uncomfortable as well though I really like how it looks.. but too bad I don't think I'll like how my wrist will look after hours of usage. To each it's own though.

• The Leica bog standard neck strap works very well with the x100
  • orrieorrie
    Any one with the Gordy strap, how long was your turnaround time in receiving it?

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter