X10 zoom ring mechanically blocked. Can't turn X10 on
  • egcegc
    Good morning.
    Anyone has had this problem?
    I'm in holidays in Pantanal, Brasil, actually on my 2nd day, and the camera stopped working.
    The zoom ring is sticked to the off position and does not move. And believe me I tried hard.
    Maybe someone has had this problem and the solution is easy...

I love the X10. It has everything I need in a serious travel camera. But I think I will get rid of it very soon. From the photograpic point of view it has ruined my holidays.
    Very low reliability...
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Id suggest contacting Fuji at your earliest opportunity.
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • francofranco
    Sounds like an impact of some kind...be really surprised if it just locked like that on its own accord...
    X Pro 1 + Fujinon 35/27/18/60/55-200 OIS ( +EF20)
    Samyang's 8mm
    Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.4 / 100mm 2.8/ 300mm 4.5
    Tamron 90mm F2.5 macro (with 1:1 adapter)
    Manfrotto 360 LED midi.

Fujifilm X10. (old sensor)

• egcegc
    Thanks for your support. In fact I will contact Fuji as soon as I arrive home. Unfortunately after this trip has ended...

I am absolutely sure there has been no impact of any kind. Two minutes before I made a film. Closed it. And coulnot turn it on again. Upsetting...

There must be more situations like mine, but probably they gave the X10 away and do not follow these discussions anymore...
  • egcegc
    ---
  • francofranco
    really feel bad about your mis-hap...maybe you were just unlucky - I'm sure that doesnt make you feel any better, but may persuade you to keep the camera. It really is a fantastic piece. Best of luck.
    X Pro 1 + Fujinon 35/27/18/60/55-200 OIS ( +EF20)
    Samyang's 8mm
    Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.4 / 100mm 2.8/ 300mm 4.5
    Tamron 90mm F2.5 macro (with 1:1 adapter)
    Manfrotto 360 LED midi.

Fujifilm X10. (old sensor)

• egcegc
    Thanks Franco.
    Indeed I will follow your advice. But I feel so unhappy about the X10...
    Eduardo
  • nippanippa
    It's the first time I've heard of such a problem but now that it's happened you may as well get the new lens/sensor available late May. Talk to Fuji.
  • fiddlerfiddler
    Sorry to hear that you've had that part of your holiday go wrong.Fuji willput things right with the camera.
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile
    a sad happening but , you will get a new one from fuji or at least a new assembley
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • JeltzJeltz
    Hi,
    I have a similar issue. My X10 now will not turn off when I move the zoom ring to the off position, and the mechanical movement in last part of rotation to turn it off feels stiffer than it used to be. The problem just started one day and is not intermittent. At least it has not locked in place like yours. The unit has not been dropped or knocked. I would guess something in the off switch assembly is giving up the ghost, and in your case failed in such a way that part of it jammed the ring.

All in all a warranty thing and I am getting mine seen to ASAP as it is only a few months old.

Jeltz
  • nousyanousya
    I have missed a lot of photos during my last trip in Europe. The ring was most of the time impossible to turn to the zomm position, only after pulling it forward very carefuly, then rotating it.
    now i am back home, it feels normal. very frustrating !
    I will contact Fuji and hope a prompt repair
  • FinePixCameraFinePixCamera
    I HATE the X10's on off system. The X100's and XPro 1's is 1000000 times better.

Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

And a freezer full of Fuji Neopan Acros and 400H film.

Clearly someone who hates Fujifilm and their products.

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 8 gigs RAM
  • depscribedepscribe
    I agree re. the poor design. Would prefer X100-style switch, and let the zoom ring simply zoom. My replacement X10 suffers from the opposite problem: The detent to turn it off/on isn't very distinct, allowing it to turn itself on. With the X100, I leave it on all the time, then half-press to awaken it. No battery drain, fewer things to fiddle with. (Also wish there were a review setting that would keep the just-taken image on the otherwise unused LCD until the shutter is half-pressed. I do sometimes wonder if the Fuji designers have ever actually committed photography.)
  • WillHWillH
    I absolutely enjoy the Fuji X10 on/off scheme that's incorporated into the lens. It's natural to just twist the lens - that's where my left is when I start to photograph something. I've twisted my Lens barrel a few thousand times without the slightest hint of a problem. Never give it a thought, it's just an automatic operation now.
    depscribe said:

I agree re. the poor design. Would prefer X100-style switch, and let the zoom ring simply zoom. My replacement X10 suffers from the opposite problem: The detent to turn it off/on isn't very distinct, allowing it to turn itself on. With the X100, I leave it on all the time, then half-press to awaken it. No battery drain, fewer things to fiddle with. (Also wish there were a review setting that would keep the just-taken image on the otherwise unused LCD until the shutter is half-pressed. I do sometimes wonder if the Fuji designers have ever actually committed photography.)

Absolutely. Once you have shot with the X100, the design of the X10 looks even more stupid. I do the same as you, and leave my X100 on all the time. Shooting with the X10 is far more convoluted in comparison.

Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

• GreyelmGreyelm
    I don't have an X10 but I have read of this happening on other forums. It sounds to me that Fuji chose a mechanism that may not be as robust as it should be.

Having something like this happen is a bummer. Ever since I had a colleague lose all of his film shots on a journey of a lifetime I always take a backup camera. These days my 8MP smart phone takes decent enough pictures that all would not be lost.
  • I'm still in ignorance bliss, the X10 is my first cam bigger than a deck of cards and I find operating it feels very intuitive, the autofocus could have been a tad faster though. And seriously, as far as I've read, together with a decent sensor size and a cool design, the on and off switch is what makes the x10 differ from the rest. Its like buying a Gullwing mercedes and complain about the strange doors.

I'm still in ignorance bliss, the X10 is my first cam bigger than a deck of cards and I find operating it feels very intuitive, the autofocus could have been a tad faster though. And seriously, as far as I've read, together with a decent sensor size and a cool design, the on and off switch is what makes the x10 differ from the rest. Its like buying a Gullwing mercedes and complain about the strange doors.

No, it's like buying a Mercedes and complaining that the car won't start.

• RadiomttRadiomtt
    This system will give lot of grief to Fujifilm as the problem occurs in the warranty period. After three month my mechanism blocked from one day to the othert
  • depscribe said:

I agree re. the poor design. Would prefer X100-style switch, and let the zoom ring simply zoom.

My remark was in first hand concerning this post. As long as its a matter of design I always make sure I like it before buying.

No, it's like buying a Mercedes and complaining that the car won't start.

Still a pretty piece of design, right ;)

No seriously, I too was worried after being forced to repair the OVF, the cause was probably alens shaken loose from what I considered normal use. Guess I was hoping for something more robust.
  • KimeyKimey
    I've had the same problem. All of a sudden the lens barrel jammed mid way and wouldn't turn off. I used fujis online repair registration and to fujis credit the camera was returned to me repaired in under a week, excellent service. I really like the camera but if the same problem happens again I may have to consider a change.
    Flickr ° Twitter ° Blog ° Street Blog
    Canon EOS450d, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 - Finepix X10
  • I had a similar problem as Kimey. In the course of one day, my zoom function became gritty, and then worse, and then got stuck zoomed all the way out so I couldn't retract the lens or turn the camera off.

After sitting with a useless X10 for a month or two, I finally sent it in and got it repaired quickly and under warranty. That was a month and a half ago.

Last week the zoom function cracked up again near the end of my vacation and stopped working. Same as before, but with less warning and less of a gritty feel to the zoom action.

I love the X series, but am afraid for when my warranty runs out and the zoom keeps breaking.

I'm considering the X-Pro 1 for professional applications, but I think I'll have to wait until Fuji updates the series in a few years.
  • In one of the Fuji X10 reviews, the reviewer said "The X10 was probably designed by the marketing team, not by photographers". Another review said "you cannot turn the X10 on with the lens cap on". Hope that Fujifilm would respond to the issues & fix the problems for the gentlemen.
  • So dissappointed today when my X10's lens also got stuck 3 days before the holidays!!!
  • I personally enjoy the on/off system as it currently is. Sorry to hear that others are having issues with theirs.
  • RenoReno
    had this problem as well, I notice it happened because the lens slightly (very slightly) shifted from its position, that's the time I notice that the lens mechanism is not that robust. I noticed this since there's a slight gap (more than normal) between the ring with the lens and the lens is quite wobbly now.

What i did is shift the lens back to its "original" position (based on the gap location) and its working fine now. It happened twice and the second time i use the same approach and it worked out.

It probably happened since we're carrying our X10 inside our bag without any case (at least I think that was the cause for mine).
  • If you look at the mechanism, which is designed to be compact while maintaining the best optical quality (many characteristics coming into play there, including moving groups of lenses within the barrel as it is zoomed from wide angle to beyond portrait lengths), the twin goals of compact design and smooth operation are an engineer's challenge, to say the least.

Mine works fine, and although I'm a photographer who detests cases and paraphernalia (it lives in my jacket pocket half the time), the suggestion to keep it away from potential dust intrusion has to make sense. Also seems probable that if anyone has concerns, hey should send it into the local Fuji Distributor whilst still in the warranty stage; a simple teardown and re-lube may be all that's needed for a lifetime of happiness.
  • phoebusaphoebusa
    My Lens has seized a few days ago while switching it on, I felt resistance and heard a scraping noise but the lens is stuck and camera cannot be switched off. It has performed faultlessly for just over a year but has decided to malfunction four months after the warranty run out. It has not been knocked or dropped and always lives in its leather case when not used. I noticed this problem seems to be occurring to other people as well.
  • bkld10bkld10
    I had the same problem as phoebusa occur on my X10 recently. Luckily, it was one week before my warranty expired. I purchased my X10 in Hong Kong but I'm living in China so had to go through Fujifilm here. They don't have a quick turnaround and no one can speak English, even in their head office in Shanghai, so communication can be a bit of a hassle. However, after two months of waiting I did get my camera back repaired. The fax copy of the repair sheet was unreadable so I don't know what work was done to it, though I believe I got a new lens installed.
  • My x10 does this, very disappointed. Was going to get the x20. Not now
  • AlexxAlexx
    I sold mine because of White Orbs. Didnt want to send it for the repair.
    Just before that I've heard about X20 coming out.
    Logical thinking: this will be the next one.
    Reading all flaws & faults here on the forum about X-series makes me think:
    Let's go back to Nikon, it's heavy eq. but it works. Every time.
    Shame on you Fuji !
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    The only comment I have is that I always thought it the most ridiculous way of switching on the camera and it was probably more expensive to design and fabricate than a simple on/off lever. Almost every review had reservations about it - well proven reservations. Why on earth they carried it over to the X20 I cannot imagine.
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 35mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.

http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/228/username/veejaycee
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    The method works fine for me in practice. One less switch to worry about and as you have a manual zoom lens you are going to have to manually zoom it. It's actually one of the things that attracted me to the X10.
    "Well proven reservations"? I guess couple of dozen complaints on the internet amongst probably hundreds of thousands of cameras sold qualifies things as "well proven" these days.
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    We all know that whatever anyone else says is incorrect and that if I say black you will say white and vice versa just for the sake of it. Do you not ever get tired of being the most negative person on the planet? Is no one else ever allowed an opinion? You are still the most ignorant and arrogant poster here - not even a close run thing between you and owtafocus who is simply bad-mannered and can give criticism but not take it.

I have two friends who moved away from Fuji because of this exact problem with the X10 and they were the only photographers of my acquaintance who had bought the X10. That's - er, let me see - yep I doubled checked - a 100% per cent failure rate in my experience - unless of course - you know my experience better than I!
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 35mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.

http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/228/username/veejaycee
  • So interesting to read these posts. My camera has had a wacky sensor for a while now, and I have lived with it - thinking that I will send it in for repair at some point. I really love most aspects of this little camera. Today, however, my camera focus ring locked in place as others have experienced. No drops. No impacts. I had uploaded pictures earlier and placed the camera in its usual safe storage place. This is absolutely a design issue. It makes sense. Lots of unnecessary wear and tear because of the on/off design. I have had this camera for a year and a half. I want to love it, but right now... I have to say that I'm not very thrilled.
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2

Lots of unnecessary wear and tear because of the on/off design.

Not really.
    It's a zoom lens and the lens mechanism will rotate way more times being zoomed in and out than it ever will being turned off and on.

• Is this only happenings with the older models ? Mine did aswel, serialnumber beginning with 14.
    Fujifilm X 20
    Fujifilm XM 1 35-1.4R 16-50-3.5/5.6
  • My camera serial number begins with 14, too.
  • Word of warning to all you X10 owners: Something to watch out for when you're threading on a filter or hood to the front of the lens. Be very careful not to over tighten it because this can cause the outer sleeve of the telephoto lens to come unscrewed. This is because the outer sleeve of the lens barrel is attached to the front of the lens but with an anticlockwise thread. Simply by tightening a filter or hood onto the front of the lens can undo the sleeve. And as I found out to my cost, can create all sorts of problems with the telephoto mechanisms which, in my case, has ended up with a repair bill of over £300. ( The lens became stuck on it's 112mm setting and wouldn't retract back into the body of the camera. )
    Also of some interest is that when fujifilm sent me the ' estimate' for repair, they never included a breakdown of what they ' estimated' the problem to be! ( At this very moment I'm awaiting a breakdown of this cost. ) When I take my car into a garage they give me a breakdown of what they know or think is the problem along with an estimate of what it will cost me. Fujifilm repair centre seem to think that this isn't necessary or that we're all to dumb to understand the workings of a camera.
    The camera was in perfect working order but to think that the unscrewing of the outer sleeve could be responsible for such a hefty repair bill is difficult to accept. They are also very quick to offer me a trade in for a new X20 model.
    I've asked for a breakdown of the damage and await their reply.
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    I'm sick of this. Spam reported.
  • mattmabermattmaber
    yes, enough
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • I have a 3 month old X10 and my flash won't pop up and the zoom kammed half way through my holiday. I have never dropped it and take great care of it. Fuji say it accidental damage and are refusing to honour the warranty.. £350 for 7 parts .. I am disgusted.
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Keep at them
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    Ask Fuji to give you a written explanation of why they have come to the conclusion that they its accidental damage and not a quality control issue.
  • My X10 is with Fuji and I'm waiting their answer regarding warranty. The problem is probably in the image stabilization mechanism and or the focusing ring. The camera works ok but when zooming the image takes a jiggle about 1/3 of the way through the zoom. I expect one day the ring will jam stuck so I've sent it in. Wish me luck.
  • I just got it back after a month of patiently waiting and under warranty, no cost even for shipping, Fuji replaced the entire lens. Must be a modified version because the on/off feels different and the switching is much smoother.
  • Just 3 days into our trip to the Philippines and the X10 camera I borrowed from my son (because my Canon 5D MKII is heavy), just did the same thing. I was trying to turn the camera off when the zoom ring jammed between off and 28mm... Hoping that PH Fuji repair depot will respond to my plea for help but so far nothing. WISH I'D Brought the Canon! - Fuji should be ashamed of creating this problem!
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    timb_yyc said:

Fuji should be ashamed of creating this problem!

Yes I can see your point Fuji really should be severely chastised for causing you to have an issue with a $600 borrowed camera just when you needed it to work. After all it's perfectly acceptable for Canon to release the 1D MkIII with it's inherent QC issues at launch that caused major problems with professional photographers around the world or for Nikon to release the D800 with its suspect focussing issues or the D600 that would cheerfully cover the imaging sensor with oil if it could. I mean what on earth were Fuji thinking?
  • CrikeyCrikey
    K1W1_Mk2 said:

timb_yyc said:

Fuji should be ashamed of creating this problem!

Yes I can see your point Fuji really should be severely chastised for causing you to have an issue with a $600 borrowed camera just when you needed it to work. After all it's perfectly acceptable for Canon to release the 1D MkIII with it's inherent QC issues at launch that caused major problems with professional photographers around the world or for Nikon to release the D800 with its suspect focussing issues or the D600 that would cheerfully cover the imaging sensor with oil if it could. I mean what on earth were Fuji thinking?

Hey @K1W1_MK2, it looks like someone has hacked your account and is posting under your name. Last week your name was used to emphatically insist that good customer service shouldn't be limited to high-end products. From memory, that post said that you responded quickly to a query about a $2 cable, which was not just good customer service but also turned out to be good for business.

• K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    The post I replied to was not about customer service if you actually bothered to read it. I was a join to rant post by a person who borrowed a camera and had an issue with it. Shit happens as they say. If the poster had complained about poor customer service your post may well have made some sense but they didn't all they said they hoped Fuji would help without giving any information about what they had done or what Fujis actual response was. Their post was simply a rant saying Fuji make rubbish cameras and all I did was point out that their beloved Canon brand also has QC problems in way more expensive cameras and also Canons major competitor has similar problems in their area.
    FWIW Nikons handling of both issues I mentioned was appalling and should be a text book study on how not to handle customer service and I don't think Canons handling of the initial problems with the 1D MkIII was much better.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter