Thumbs Up camera grip
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Thumbs Up is a popular accessory for Leica users that adds a thumb gripping point to improve the ergonomics of holding the camera.

Thumbs Up is an accessory thumb rest that enables you to hold your Leica M with improved balance, comfort, and security. You won't believe the difference that Thumbs Up makes! Your compositions will be more consistent, your photographs sharper; and the secure grip when holding your camera provides peace of mind. Thumbs Up users report being able to take hand-held shots at 1–2 stops slower shutter speeds.

Thumbs Up CSEP-2

Apparently the Thumbs Up CSEP-2 (for the Leica X1) is also compatible with Fuji's X100! Here's a screen capture from a Youtube video (With an oddly redundant viewfinder on top):

Thumbs Up CSEP-2 on Fujifilm Finepix X100 camera

Reportedly they're considering making an X100 specific model to better perfect the ergonomics, but current users of the CSEP-2 on their X100 seem content with the fit and finish.

I think anything that can improve hand held shooting in low light scenarios is exactly what I need! It's a rather expensive accessory though, at about $150 USD direct, and a little cheaper on eBay.

Has anyone here ever used one of these before?
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • Very unusual would like to try one before making that kind of investment looks as the thumb end sticks out and could catch things. Probably me being pedantic.
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    I agree with seaton. At that price, quite a risk to bring it outside and hook unto something and spoil the hotshoe
    Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • ChristopherChristopher
    It seems pretty well engineered though, I imagine the fit and finish would prevent damage to the hot shoe. I'll see if I can find some long term reviews of it from Leica owners.

It definitely adds a snagging point though, I can picture it getting caught on a camera bag strap and tumbling down. I wonder if it's easily removed?
  • seaton carewseaton carew
    I really don't see the point agree its a thumb rest, to me its a lump of plastic that just doesn't look right, my thumb fits fine without it.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    That's a clever little trick! I have a bunch of these from my art shows, perhaps I'll give it a try.
  • seaton carewseaton carew
    call_me_jc.
    Ok maybe i was i little quick to scorn without giving it ago, but obtaining one is another matter.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I wish they would make a cast plastic version of this at a lower price point, I think that would work equally well.
  • lllarsen8lllarsen8
    The link to the rubber bumper does not go to rubber bumper. What is the rubber bumper?
  • I'm a little late adding my two cents on this, but the thumbs up is great for one hand shots when using the LCD. Particularly for portrait shots as the Thumbs Up grip almost hangs from your thumb. This combined with my wrist strap, I have no concerns leaning over a ledge or something to get a shot.
  • There's now a dedicated Thumbs Up for the X100, the EP-5S.

http://matchtechnical.com/ThumbsUpEP5S.aspx
  • nice product , silly price
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • What he/she said ^^
  • Got an Thumbs Up CSEP-2. Yes, it is expensive for what it is but not for what it does. At least for me, who is used to a pro-size DSLR with battery-grip, the Thumbs Up allows me to feel solidly connected to the camera, which is important because I hate neck straps and such.
  • i absolutely love the product, but a tiny machined billet of non precious metal with no moving parts or electronic components should not cost as much as a decent aftermarket flash unit, or a 32 gb class 10 sd card, or an entire decent tripod or a 19 inch flat panel lcd monitor ,or a stainless steel swatch, or a 50 mm 1.8 lens or ...... you get my point
  • it should not cost almost 10 percent the price of an x 100 , that is simply silly ,i stand by my remarks ,even as i remain envious of anyone who actually has one of these sweet little thingies , i met a fellow x 100 shooter on 14 st union sq in nyc who had one mounted on his x 100 camera it relly does work
  • mattmabermattmaber
    £25 and its mine ;)
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • Ok, just bought AND received my Thumbs Up yesterday! The EP-5S that was designed for the x100. Frankly, I sold a lens and had some funds sitting in PayPal, and couldn't resist the urge when it wasn't too painful on my bank account. Cosina, again I'm not sure what it "should" cost, but the market will dictate that, not I. Does seem high, but have you held one?!

Yes, I'm probably justifying my crazy purchase, but this camera feels 6.8 times more secure in your hands with this thing installed. Ok, I'm stretching it. Probably only 5.3 times as much, but you get the point.

If I knew how to post a photo on here, I'd post one of my bee-u-tee-ful x100 with it attached. (Don't have flickr, or any hosting site, sorry and I don't think I can embed here, right?)
  • yes i have held it , i met someone who had an x 100 in union square in nycand he had it
    the one designed for the x100 i held it and shot a shot i unmounted it and examened the precision and quality , its really nice in person. i gave him my x 100 to hold and took a shot of 2 x100s together which i posted on the e-p1 .net forum

the camera on the left has the thumbs up , see it full sized on e-p1.net gallery

honestly id love to have it , but as i am not rich, i do measure the cost of thing and
    make a decision based on cost to benefit \product ....i simply think it it is a bit costly

because of its very nice quality and usefulness , a rich cosinaphile would have one for each of his 12 customized x 100s along with leicatime cases and really nice soft release buttons too in monigrammed sterling silver............... really i probably would!

but the cosinaphile who recently bought a 12mm f2 m zukio lens sith filter tax and an sd card ...950$ a new gxr to replace my really beat up one with a 28 300 module
    that was 500 dollars and the gxr m mount module with tax was 650$ my favorite recent purchse is the x 100 a little over 1400$ with tax plus 40 for a nice b&w filter... just got the wife a panasonic g2 micro 4\3 body and thruw my oly kit zoom on it .... she loves it special b&h price/ 299$
    its really adding up....

whats still on preorder?\ waiting to buy? i want an ep3, i want a pentax q [to use with my fd 200 2.8 adapted]

ive preordred the panny leica m4\3 25mm f 1.4 that 600 ive preordered the x 10 more money still!... yes im addicted to gear ....but for balance ive reduced my alcohol consumption 97%

as much as i like that thingie an extra 115 dollars is going toward my next camera or lens it represents about 20% the cost of an x 10 ,,,,i just cant get past that , but thats me

enjoy yours and enjoy the little bit of extra steadiness and grip that it truely affords ,im sure with practice it can add a stop or more , a valuable thing on a machine without ois like the wonderful x 100

cheers

• The Thumb's Up looks good. But I was wondering if one couldn't simply go to a Home Depot or other such store and get one of those little black bumpers / feet that you can put onto things. They have sticky stuff that you peel off. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, rubber or plastic. You could attach it to the back of the camera and perhaps shape it a bit with a knife and you would have a little place to push your thumb against. It would be very cheap and removable. Just a thought.
  • gipper im designing a copy cat custom thing for myself, ill post a pic if i ever finish it
  • Jeez @Gipper, you couldn't have joined this forum a couple month's ago and saved me $118?? Your idea is a good one. I did go a bit nutty and bought the Thumbs Up, X100 version, and I do love it. Was it worth $118, nah, but it does feel great and gives a really nice sense of security, especially since I use a wrist strap. The Thumbs Up and the Decamera Consultants soft release button are the best accessories I bought for my X100.
    Fujifilm Finepix X100 / Nikon D7000 / Canon G11
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancysproulcarter/
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • mattmabermattmaber
    @Gipper great idea! heres mine =D
    From instagram
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • nice .....im thinking of bending\ modifying a tiny spoon and fixing it to a sturdy hot shoe cover or something like that
  • Matt, very interesting. How does it work? Would you like it to be bigger or smaller or shaped different... or what?
  • Oh..oh...Seaton....close your eyes...don't look :-D
  • mattmabermattmaber
    @collierportraits could do with being a little bigger and Ive got used to not having it there so its not as useful as it could be i guess.
  • When I look at the gorgeous design and machining work on the Richard Franiec camera grips that I own (http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_s90)--knowing that the grip for each model requires extraordinary custom shaping to the camers's body shape in order to feel right--and further knowing that Richard has a profitable business selling them for about $33 each--well, it's hard not to look at the $145 price for the Thumbs Up without thinking, WTF?

That said, if the TU were at least returnable, I'd give it a try and see how much it improved handling of the X100. As one other poster noted, while there's no way to justify price based on what it is, the TU could be worth its cost based on what it does. But I wouldn't pay that kind of money and be stuck if I didn't like it.
  • What case are you using after putted the finger grip on?
  • mattmabermattmaber
    @sampswan me? or the thumbs up? Im using just the bottom half of the fuji copy on ebay
  • Oh I see!I am looking for a full case which could put in hood + thumbs up at them same time!
  • mattmabermattmaber
    @sampswan - that'd have to be quite a big case i think
  • Hmm, maybe the funds put to the thumbs up can be put into a 3d printer. Could make a copy of the thumbs up and print a few for less!
  • I looked into plastic molding a piece similar in thought to this but was told that the milling was so precise that it would be difficult unless you wanted to do extremely high volume, like 500,000 pieces. However, one piece could be cut out of plastic if you had the tools and patience. Might as well buy the TU as to do that, though.
  • The Thumbs Up works great on my M8 and I'd recommend it highly. Better than the Leica hand grip they sell. Will get one for my x10 as well....
  • I've got one on my M9 Leica and my Xpro1 and want it for my XE-2
    never gets caught on stuff and is very comfortable and helpful-

worth it!!!
  • Benmathes said:

I've got one on my M9 Leica and my Xpro1 and want it for my XE-2
    never gets caught on stuff and is very comfortable and helpful-

worth it!!!

• I have a Lensmate thumb grip for my X-E1, have never had any issues with it regarding catching on things or otherwise and would definitely recommend it at $60 (see http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/fujifilmX-E1.php)

The camera feels a LOT more secure using it.

They also make them for the X100, X100S, X20/X10 and the X-Pro1 (see .)http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/
  • One further thought;

I use the Lensmate thumb grip in conjunction with the DSPTCH wrist strap (http://www.dsptch.com/collections/wrist) and the combination seems to be bomb-proof for one-handed street photography, etc.
  • Fotodiox makes a version for $35. that looks so close to the Thumbs Up short version, Im waiting for mine. I'll post about it...
  • FJCFJC
    The ones I got were $13 each. Wrote it up here: http://bit.ly/1cZwp0J

I think it's a stellar accessory, no matter who makes them.
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2

Plastic but hard to tell..

I use a plastic one that I got in a set of two from ebay for the grand total of $5 the pair delivered. It works absolutely perfectly and I simply can't see the value in these $100+ ones that people buy.
  • FJCFJC
    I don't know what kind of pot metal mine are made from, but they're metal and they haven't broken yet. The only part of plastic I would worry about is screwing it down into the hot shoe, but I can't imagine it cracking unless it was styrofoam, or unless you really tightened it waaaaaay too much.

I just happen to prefer the way metal ages. Losing the paint is just a sign of good use and makes gear a bit warmer to my eyes.
  • TheShaheenTheShaheen
    I just bought this and it's made of metal and works fine... Good price too..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151215150645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter