Fujifilm X-Pro1 Firmware 1.01 Now Available For Body & Lenses
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Fujifilm has just released firmware version 1.01 updates for the X-Pro1 body and all 3 lenses.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Firmware Update

The firmware update Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:

1. Reduction of chattering noise from iris of lenses in shooting mode.
    2. Improvement of phenomenon that parallax compensation does not work under condition of manual focus with OVF bright frame mode.
    3. Improvement of phenomenon that OVF quality as low visibility due to too bright OVF under the condition of power save mode during pressing the shutter button halfway.
    4. Improvement of phenomenon that delete function does not work after viewing continues shooting mode images.

To activate the above fixes completely, an additional firmware update for each XF lens is also required.

You can download the individual firmware updates from Fujifilm.com at the following links:

More details to follow! Please share your experiences with the firmware update in the comments below.
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • PiTiLeZarDPiTiLeZarD
    2+3 => Alleluia ;-)
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I just updated my 18mm and 35mm lenses and the aperture blade chatter is gone! I heard it only once shortly after turning my camera on, and it was much more quiet. All attempts to provoke it to chatter failed, the aperture simply stays wide open. This is a nice fix!

One thing to note, upgrading your firmware will reset all of your camera settings. When you power on your camera after each update, even lens firmware updates, you will have to reset the date/time and all of your configurations. I suggest upgrading your body and all of your XF lenses at the same time, so you don't have to reset your camera more than once.
  • jacjac
    @Christopher - so is updating the lens FW the same as the body, ie. holding down the [BACK] button to start the firmware update process
  • Just updated the firmware and have to say the chatter is gone for me. Works a treat.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @jac, that is correct. The firmware update interface asks you to select the body or lens before proceeding to the upgrade process.
  • jacjac
    Cool thanks Christopher!
  • BdoneganBdonegan
    Awsome stuff Fuji ! ! ! Any feedback on other noticable improvements ? i'm at work and cant do much here.
    Brian Donegan Photography: http://bdonphoto.com
  • Waiting for a focus peaking upgrade... and it will be near perfect !
  • BdoneganBdonegan
    The fact they are updating lens firmware is HUGE ! ! ! We've got hope of the MF getting tuned... the possibilities seem endless ! ! !
    Brian Donegan Photography: http://bdonphoto.com
  • macmookmacmook
    Great stuff. One note: my 60mm was already at V1.01 - the upgrade brought it to V1.02
  • jacjac
    Bdonegan said:

The fact they are updating lens firmware is HUGE ! ! ! We've got hope of the MF getting tuned... the possibilities seem endless ! ! !

this seems plausible, a matter of tweaking the turn ratio..
  • yohaankyohaank
    just upgraded the 35mm and the 60mm, all lens chatter is gone but there is one HUGE difference, the 35mm is focusing much muucchh faster now. Although the focus speeds on the 60mm seem to be the same. Awesome stuff from the only company that listens to its customers and fans. Keep it up Fujifilm !
  • Excellent, will try and update this pm. Thanks. I think its interesting if you look at the focal plane on the top of the body, and imagine what would happen to image size if it was moved back slightly, and lens can be tweaked by software upgrades, a full size chip upgrade wouldn't be that hard...Any thoughts? Don't get me wrong I love the camera as it is...:) Any downsides to this upgrade that anyone is aware of?
    X-Pro1, 35mm, 18mm. Nikon D800, D300, D100, AFD 80-200 2.8, 105mm 2.8 macro, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 24mm 2.8, 12-24mm 4.0
  • I have noticed that most of the lag between hitting shutter and getting an image seems to be caused by camera calculating exposure and setting aperture, or setting evf brightness. Even with all settings set to manual and on ovf... I would have thought this could be fixed. After all once you half press and lock exposure etc firing is instant.
    X-Pro1, 35mm, 18mm. Nikon D800, D300, D100, AFD 80-200 2.8, 105mm 2.8 macro, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 24mm 2.8, 12-24mm 4.0
  • yohaank - I see what you mean, much faster. Small but significant update - No chattering
  • syntaxsyntax
    Hi I have been watching this site for a while a enjoying the discussions and eagerly awaited the firmware updates. I thought I'd better mention that the links for the lens updates don't download the same named files for example: 35mm f/1.4 xpupdate.dat actually downloads xfupdate.dat (just hover the mouse and read the link). Not sure how this might affect the updates but I have talked to Fuji and they have recognised the problem and are hopefully fixing it to avoid any confusion. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • StblankStblank
    Just updated mine. The chatter is gone. Can't wait to test the improved focusing speed tomorrow morning :) Great job, Fujifilm.
  • MikeeNuMikeeNu
    I only have the 35mm lens and it definitely focus much faster so long as your distance where you're focusing is similar. Makes sense though since the lens isn't moving as much as if it were going back and forth between close focus and what not.

Very happy!!! Feels just as speedy as the x100

And the chatter... I didn't mind it but people around me did. Glad that's taken care of so that I don't have to explain what the heck is going on lol
  • brickst3rbrickst3r
    So you have to update multiple times? Why not add all 3 lenses into the same update. Are they just giving people options to update the lens they have? Also how would you know if the lens has been updated instead of the firmware. Sorry for all the questions but I will be ordering my xp1 this week and don't want to be confused.
  • bernphysbernphys
    Very welcome firmware update. The click, click, click is now silent.

Great Fuji !!
  • MikeeNuMikeeNu
    brickst3r said:

So you have to update multiple times? Why not add all 3 lenses into the same update.

Don't worry, it's not a pain. Simply format a card and add all files into the root directory of the card from your computer.

Place card in camera and turn on while holding the disp/back button. It will give you options of either updating body and or/lenses one at a time and takes but a minute or less to update each.

• ChristopherChristopher
    syntax said:

Hi I have been watching this site for a while a enjoying the discussions and eagerly awaited the firmware updates. I thought I'd better mention that the links for the lens updates don't download the same named files for example: 35mm f/1.4 xpupdate.dat actually downloads xfupdate.dat (just hover the mouse and read the link). Not sure how this might affect the updates but I have talked to Fuji and they have recognised the problem and are hopefully fixing it to avoid any confusion. Has anyone else experienced this?

@syntax, the lens firmware updates work fine, despite the naming inconsistency.
  • brickst3rbrickst3r
    @MikeeNu, thanks that seems simple enough. I just hate anything to do with firmware updates.
  • brickst3rbrickst3r
    can you only update the firmware for the lenses that you have? On Fujix-forum, somebody said that you have to update each lens while it is attached. So no need to update the rest if you only have 1 lens?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    That's correct, you update each lens individually. If you attach any v1.0 lens to a v1.01 camera, the camera's display will ask you to update your lens firmware when you power the camera on, though the lens will still continue to function with its old firmware.
  • brickst3rbrickst3r
    I see, thanks christopher for confirming. I will only have 1 lens to update then.
  • GlennrayGlennray
    The instructions say that if the file size is not exactly the stated size to download them again. I have a Mac and all the update files are slightly larger than the stated size. Is this a problem?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @Glennray, you must be running OS X 10.7, right? OS X Lion reports file sizes differently, based on 1000 KB = 1 MB vs the traditional 1024 KB = 1 MB. Thus your body firmware file size will appear larger, 38.3 MB to be exact.

Confusing huh?
  • GlennrayGlennray
    thanks Christopher, you're right. And I was confused! I didn't want to make a mistake with the firmware. Thanks for your help.
  • LazarouINCLazarouINC
    All done, wish I had taken note of my settings 1st
  • cdlink1cdlink1
    Upgraded the body firmware, then the 35mm firmware... but for some reason it is not working on the 18mm. I have reformatted the card(s), downloaded the update, put it on my desktop, then onto the sd card... enter the formatting menu, choose lens, and it says no firmware found. Any sugguestions? Thanks!

-Chris
  • cdlink1cdlink1
    Oh, and I do have the 18mm lens attached...
  • djstebdjsteb
    Upgraded , no problems, Chatter gone on both lenses
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @cdlink1, make sure the firmware filename has not been changed. It has the same name as the 35mm firmware, so your operating system may have renamed it when you downloaded them both.
  • cdlinkcdlink
    @Christopher, thanks, so basic, I overlooked that little detail!!!

-Chris
    X-Pro1 & X100
  • robk47robk47
    I had no problem uploading and installing the new firmware for camera and two (35 and 18) lenses, but now, my beloved histogram is no where to be found in my OVF or EVF, just in the LCD...what gives?? HELP!!!
  • robk47robk47
    ooops...got it back by pressing display with the OVF and EVF on...sorry about that!
  • copperbeecopperbee
    Well, I loaded and upgraded the body then realized I had my 'cron 50mm on the body, not my 35 1.4. Now I get a message on my LCD display saying "upgrade lens firmware. Naturally when I try to do that, I get the screen message that there is no new firmware to install because I have the latest installed. Grrr.
  • When you update the software in camera you will need to reset all your settings, so if stuff in your OVF or LCD has disappeared it needs to be set up all over again.
    Gene Lowinger
    www.genelowinger.com
    genelowinger.blogspot.com
  • chrisjchrisj
    Updated my Fuji X-Pro1 and then 35mm lens to 1.01. I'm very happy to confirm the chatter is gone. Tested by moving the camera from a dark area, to bright light. Can't wait to try it out in real light tomorrow.
  • steve1401steve1401
    40 odd comments on and I can't be bothered to read them all, so I am guessing that this will be slight duplication of sentiment, but anyway...

@Christpher - yep, fixing the shutter chatter is a big deal for me too (I only have the 35mm). I thought I had a problem with the camera until I was told this was 'normal', so nice fix.

Focusing: for me messing in the office over my coffee break at least, seems not necessarily speedier, but more accurate in fluorescent light.

And once again, all those agitated comments about Fuji releasing stuff that's not 100% perfect have (temporarily) disappeared. Now what else can we demand of them???

Makes me laugh really. I have found that people can't wait for the new gear to come out and moan and moan about it being shipped late etc, yet when it is if there is the slightest thing wrong it all ""why do they release this until they have got it working properly". You ought to read some of the mobile phone forums lol.

In my opinion, well done Fuji. They got a product to market in line with the anxiously waiting masses, and whilst things like the software may not have been (be?) 100% perfect, they obviously understand the feelings and concerns of their customers and act on them.

Well done Fuji. You may be a tiny bit overpriced for your top end gear, but there is added value in there.

This was meant to be a one line quick post and I just went on and on and on... Peace out.

Steve
  • steve1401steve1401
    copperbee said:

Well, I loaded and upgraded the body then realized I had my 'cron 50mm on the body, not my 35 1.4. Now I get a message on my LCD display saying "upgrade lens firmware. Naturally when I try to do that, I get the screen message that there is no new firmware to install because I have the latest installed. Grrr.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this. Firmware upgrades are by their very nature, a risk in that you can brick your product if not careful. The lens firmware (I guess) will be an interface between lens and body and as such the software will reside in both places. Your camera will think it has upgraded, but the lens is still using 1.00 and therefore the software interface will not understand each other.

I hope not, and I'm sure Fuji will be able to provide an over the internet type fix, but this might be a trip back to the camera shop or Fuji support :-(

Thing is, I think if this is the case then more attention needs to be drawn to this before folk undertake such stuff...

All the best of luck with this.
  • g2622g2622
    Chatter is gone, and AF is faster, but still not where I would think it should/could be. 35mm/1.4 . Still, great to see Fuji improving the code!
  • Updated my XP1 and 35mm last night and chatter is gone but didn't really run it through it's paces. Then again the chatter didn't bother me. Still props to fujifilm for listening and pushing out a fix. Either past or present with this camera i still enjoy shooting with it. Hopefully fujifilm will just keep on making it better with every new release.
  • laszlolaszlo
    I ran the upgrades, pretty self explanatory and no issues. Chatter gone. It did annoy me, although it wasn't a deal breaker. Much nicer this way. Focus seems marginally faster, but I was OK with focus speed already; it does feel more crisp. Can they really add some sort of manual focus aid through firmware? I did not realize that was possible. That would definitely put this camera over the top, not that it isn't close to that as it is.
  • pernmootpernmoot
    I ran the firmware update for the body and the 18mm lens no problem...my issue is that the 35mm lens firmware downloader says its XPUPDATE.DAT but it infact points to the XFUPDATE.DAT...the firmware updater for the 18mm lens. I can't find XPUP anywhere. Suggesions?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @pernmoot, the link to the 35mm is incorrectly labeled, but it is the correct file. It has the exact same filename as the 18mm update.
  • toysmadmantoysmadman
    Can I update the body firmware with the lens attached?? And will the camera let me choose to update the body or lens every time??? Thank you!!!
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @toysmadman, you can update the body firmware with the lens attached. The camera will ask you to choose the body or lens at the beginning of the update procedure.
  • msrammsram
    I finally got around to upgrading the firmware... and managed to botch up the operation for one of the three lenses. So my most important lens, the 18mm, is now a just glass-n-steel artifact.

What happened was the firmware screen (switching on when holding BACK button) initially showed the lens' version as 8.83! After running the upgrade operation once, the version changed to 0.00. When I tried it again, it ate up the firmware. Now I get a FIRMWARE UPGRADE ERROR / CONTACT A SERVICE CENTER. The body no longer works with the 18mm lens on it.

The 35mm firmware upgrade went smoothly. The 60mm also reported "version 8.82" but managed to upgrade properly to v1.02.

HELP!

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter