What Mode/Settings do you use?
  • karlbownkarlbown
    I just got my X10 for my birthday on Sunday and I'm loving it. I usually use a dslr but I've been wanting a decent camera that I can carry around more easily for day trips etc. The X10 seemed to fit the bill!

With the exr sensor I've been a little confused about how to get the best out of the camera. I was attracted to it by the high dynamic range it allows and so far I've been using P mode with the image size set to M and DR at 400%, just shooting jpegs so far. This I believe gives a good compromise between image resolution and quality. But what do I know :-)

So what do you use? And why? Thanks in advance for your help

Karl
    X-E1, 16-50, 50-230, X100S. Canon EOS-1ds Mk II, 28, 50. Also Pana G5, BMPCC
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlbown/
  • FinePixCameraFinePixCamera
    First, Happy Birthday. Second, the settings you are using are usually considered the best to get the best dynamic range. I use those settings too. I also set noise reduction to the lowest level possible. Any noise reduction that I need I can add in post. Color you can adjust to taste. That is different for everyone.
    Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

And a freezer full of Fuji Neopan Acros and 400H film.

Clearly someone who hates Fujifilm and their products.

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 8 gigs RAM
  • nick_coolnick_cool
    I was wondering the same thing for a while...

My current set up for city trips is:

RAW + JPG medium Astia (700 shots on a 16Gb card)
    P mode
    ISO 200
    AF still & area
    Highlights low
    Exposure -1/3, but I change it according to the situation
    IS on in mode 2

Here are some tests and setups:

Your text to link...
  • karlbownkarlbown
    What about the EXR Auto mode, does anyone use that?
  • iansians
    I too have been been a little confused about how to use this camera, particularly the EXR mode. Up to now I've been using A mode, 12 mp, Auto ISO (800), JPG and I've been happy with that. Having just read the DPReview article on the X10 with it's very good (to my mind) explanation of how EXR works I'll give the 6mp setting a try.

ians
  • CincojoeCincojoe
    But why would anyone want to downgrade to 6MP?
  • RogerRabbitRogerRabbit
    Aperture mode f4 iso 200 or iso 100. I think DR is 200.
    "I can only agree with your first sentence." Quote karlbown
  • pjmsj21pjmsj21
    Here is some additional input on EXR cameras. Note I have not as yet played around with the suggestions:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html
  • DavoeDavoe
    EXR Auto.
  • karlbownkarlbown
    @cincojoe The idea being you get less pixels but also greatly reduced noise or enhanced dynamic range. A lot of people reckon its better to shoot at 6mp and then scale up. Personally I don't print my shots out, they're for viewing on web or iPad, so 6mp, but better image quality, is fine by me
  • poatkarpoatkar
    my opinion regarding :

6MP vs 12MP -

Scenes with lots of very fine detail can benefit from 12MP, when viewing images at screen size (say 1280x960 or so). Trees, grass, etc. at 6MP can appear a little chunky or coarse, while at 12MP will appear more fine and delicate. It's a subtle difference, and might not be apparent at all, depending on the scene. 6MP also benefits from less noise, especially chroma noise, though I don't generally notice the difference at ISO100.

DR100 vs DR400 (non EXR vs EXR mode) -

If the scene does not require greater dynamic range than what the sensor can handle without EXR DR, the downside of DR400 is less contrast, less 'natural' colors, and more noise. DR100 will look better, provided there aren't blown out highlights. DR400 has very strong highlight protection, so is a nice 'fail-safe' mode for times I am not thinking about every shot.

If the scene doesn't require high DR, I prefer the results at 12MP DR100, but a lot of my favorite types of scenes are with strong contrasts, so I end up using DR400 a lot, and quite enjoy the results it gives.
  • ci_leeci_lee
    I have 3 'go-to' settings:

A/S/P (general shooting, rarely us M mode anymore) - 12mp, Auto ISO 800, DR 200
    C1 (highlights) - 6mp/EXR-DR Mode, Auto ISO 400, DR400
    C2 (low light) 6mp/EXR-SN Mode, Auto ISO 1600, DR100 (default)

In all cases, I usually have the camera set to RAW+JPEG, single shot (Fujifilm please correct your silly Sxxx naming for continuous mode, it messes with my importing!!), AF-S, toggle between full info on-screen (custom) and the blank screen for 'critical' composure (zone focusing/street shots mainly), Fn button set to AF Mode and Raw button set to Face Detection. I play with EV compensation depending on the scene but typically find myself going from 0 to -2/3 with -1/3 prob being the most common.

If I have time I will manually change the AF point (ie landscapes) but most often focus/recompose. When I have the bug to snap tons of shots on the street, I'll switch to MF for zone focusing with the LCD info off...tho I'm just starting to explore the Face Detection capability.

Other modes I have set for quick access are: the SCN setting default to Text mode and ADV defaulting to 360 Panorama. When I hand the camera to my girlfriend or someone else to use, I defaulted the EXR mode to EXR Auto.
  • CincojoeCincojoe
    That's all great when you're just showing your photos on forums or Flickr at 800x600. But printing is another story. I enjoyed making 8x10 photo books many of them two page spreads. I want all the MP I can and paid for. I also want to have more mo for cropping too.
  • ci_leeci_lee
    Cincojoe said:

That's all great when you're just showing your photos on forums or Flickr at 800x600. But printing is another story. I enjoyed making 8x10 photo books many of them two page spreads. I want all the MP I can and paid for. I also want to have more mo for cropping too.

As mentioned above and also on the dpreview.com review, the lower noise achieved from shooting in 6mp w/EXR-DR (or presumably SN) may allow you to up-sample the image with little loss of resolution. I'll be interested in printing out some comparisons as I am now just starting to get into making prints.
  • My current X10 set up for city trips tested on more than 1200 shots is:

RAW + JPG medium Astia (700 shots on a 16Gb card)
    P mode, but few times I switched to auto EXP and Panorama
    Auto ISO 400 or Auto ISO 800 for night and interiors
    AF still & area
    Highlights low
    Exposure -1/3, but I change it according to the situation
    IS “ON” mode 2
    DR 200
    Screen brightness in +2 and grid on.

Moscow

Moscow
  • Nice. I treat the X10 like a point and shoot and it continues to impress me

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter