Wedding photography, X-Pro1 and X100
  • I have been using my X100 for weddings ever since getting one of the first cameras in the UK and to date it has been used on about 50 weddings. I got my X-Pro1 in late March 2012 and have used it on about 20 weddings.

My usual gear is a pair of Canon 5DmkII's with L series lenses, I love using a 50mm lens so the X-Pro1 with the 35mm F1.4 (equivalent to a 50mm on full frame) seemed like it would suit my work, I had hoped for an X200 with a 50mm lens before I got my X-Pro1.

I'm a documentary wedding photographer so I'm not looking for the usual groups and portraits but instead photographs that tell the story of the day. I love working with smaller cameras and especially love the silent shutter on the X100. Typically I will go to the bridal preps with just the two Fujifilm cameras as I don't need any long lenses at this stage of the day, then I will use my 5DII with a 70-200 F2.8 in the church as well as the X100 and X-Pro1, after the ceremony I often go back to working with just the Fujifilm cameras but I do like my 5DII for the first dance.

These are a few of my photographs taken on the X100 and X-Pro1, I only have the 35mm F1.4 lens for the X-Pro1 so everything wider is from the X100. ISO is typically up to around 3200iso -

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Great work Simon, and great application of the benefits of the X Series. Do you find people are more comfortable when you're shooting with the X100 or X-Pro1, compared to your 5D?
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • Since a lot of people bring cameras to weddings people don't tend to react to the 5D's anyway, but I do prefer the smaller cameras for bridal preps as I often feel it's intimidating for the bride to have a huge lens pointing at her in a small room.

The other advantage is I have photographed ceremonies where photography is not allowed but you can get away with on on the X100 as it is so quiet, in situations like that I shoot with the rear LCD without lifting the camera up.

I do have a few niggles with the X100 and X-pro1 especially with the build quality as it really isn't up to the standards of a Canon 5D. My X-Pro1 LCD is scratched and the lugs on both cameras are wearing through. The X-pro1 might be pro in name but really isn't built to stand up to professional use. However the images I get with both cameras more than make up for any issues and I have to say the X-Pro1 files are way way nicer than the 5D2 and require less processing.
  • hdahl100hdahl100
    Now, that is real wedding photography. Nice. RAW or Jpegs?
  • Do you use the wide angle converter on the fuji x100? Awesome pics, by the way.
  • Thanks guys, I shoot in Jpg only. The Jpegs out of the X100 and X-Pro1 are fantastic, I'm careful with getting the exposure right at the time of shooting, I then process in Lightroom to make minor tweaks.

I don't have the wide angle adapter for the X100 and don't see much point in getting it as I have the X-Pro1 and could buy a wide angle for that. When I want to shoot really wide I use my 5D2 with a 16-35mm lens. Most of my work is on a 35mm or 50mm lens.

You can see more of my work on my website - www.weddingphotojournalist.co.uk
  • FinePixCameraFinePixCamera

The other advantage is I have photographed ceremonies where photography is not allowed but you can get away with on on the X100 as it is so quiet

What kind of wedding ceremony does not allow photographers and why would someone hire a photographer to be at such a ceremony??
    Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

And a freezer full of Fuji Neopan Acros and 400H film.

Clearly someone who hates Fujifilm and their products.

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 8 gigs RAM
  • p3t3orp3t3or
    Those are fantastic. Love to see others using the x series for weddings. I've only done 3 weddings with my x100 but I have 5 more lined up, and I'm really loving the camera for this type of work. I was hired by this lady that saw my previous work and when I showed up she was very surprised to see my small camera (though I had my flash on). Later she told me she was a bit nervous when I showed up with the camera but then she thought about it and she had already seen my previous work and that is why she hired me. She ended up loving the photos. I hate having to convince people it is a legit camera.
  • rel="FinePixCamera">

The other advantage is I have photographed ceremonies where photography is not allowed but you can get away with on on the X100 as it is so quiet

What kind of wedding ceremony does not allow photographers and why would someone hire a photographer to be at such a ceremony??

It's fairly common here in the UK. Tomorrow I have a wedding and the vicar has said no photography at all in the church, nothing, not even the bride walking in. The couple hire me for the whole day and yes it's dreadful watching the ceremony and seeing things that would make a great photograph and not being allowed to take them. Obviously I will try to take a couple of photographs discreetly when the vicar isn't looking.
  • PurestBluePurestBlue

It's fairly common here in the UK. Tomorrow I have a wedding and the vicar has said no photography at all in the church, nothing, not even the bride walking in. The couple hire me for the whole day and yes it's dreadful watching the ceremony and seeing things that would make a great photograph and not being allowed to take them. Obviously I will try to take a couple of photographs discreetly when the vicar isn't looking.

The vicar is probably thinking about those photogs who have big SLRs with off-camera flash on a grip and noisy mirror slap and film winders - as you know most vicars here are about 180 years old, some will be expecting you to have a tripod and glass plates.... There are going to be (probably) dozens of family and friends taking shots with smart phones and other cameras on which they don't know how to turn off the flash. I don't see how he can object to you taking a few discreet shots with a compact camera. Unless, of course, you're gonna be bouncing around behind him trying to get a good angle, and giving directions for the couple to pose while he's asking them for their vows!

I'm sure if you're really discreet he won't notice what you're doing (don't forget to turn off the focus assist lamp!).
    Justin C, by the sea.
    purestblue.com

X Pro 1, Ricoh GX200, Leica Digilux 2, Canon EOS 100 (Rebel), Mamiya C220, Olympus OM10, Zorki 4K, Kodak Retina
    Just to be clear, the church says NO to a professional photographer during the wedding? No pictures on the single most important day of their life? I am no expert, but I would really question why anyone would use such a church if true.
    Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

• PurestBluePurestBlue

Just to be clear, the church says NO to a professional photographer during the wedding?

I'm talking about being in the house of God, and showing some respect for the sanctity of that place and the solemn vows the people are entering into. The most important thing is the ceremony, not whether they have photos of it. If the couple don't accept that then they shouldn't be marrying in church.

No pictures on the single most important day of their life? I am no expert, but I would really question why anyone would use such a church if true.

Just how long do wedding services last in your country?! Over here the service is usually over within about half an hour, if not 20 minutes.
    Justin C, by the sea.
    purestblue.com

X Pro 1, Ricoh GX200, Leica Digilux 2, Canon EOS 100 (Rebel), Mamiya C220, Olympus OM10, Zorki 4K, Kodak Retina

Just to be clear, the church says NO to a professional photographer during the wedding?

I'm talking about being in the house of God, and showing some respect for the sanctity of that place and the solemn vows the people are entering into. The most important thing is the ceremony, not whether they have photos of it. If the couple don't accept that then they shouldn't be marrying in church.

No pictures on the single most important day of their life? I am no expert, but I would really question why anyone would use such a church if true.

Just how long do wedding services last in your country?! Over here the service is usually over within about half an hour, if not 20 minutes.

The vast majority of people disagree with you as they have images from their wedding ceremony. I highly doubt God would be disappointed or upset with the sound of a shutter.

• flysurferflysurfer
    This is simple. If I wanted pics of my wedding, I wouldn't choose a venue that doesnt't allow taking pictures of the ceremony. Or, if I wanted a video, doesn't allow videography.
  • PurestBluePurestBlue

The vast majority of people disagree with you as they have images from their wedding ceremony. I highly doubt God would be disappointed or upset with the sound of a shutter.

Which particular "vast majority" are you talking about? 80% of the world's population live on less than 10 USD a day, how are they going to afford a camera or photographer at their wedding?

Your exaggeration aside, I'm not suggesting God would object to photos, but to the distraction from the very serious matter of the vows. If you cannot see that then I suggest you are lacking in sensitivity to the deeply held religious beliefs of others.
    Justin C, by the sea.
    purestblue.com

• SagitarSagitar
    I have just looked through our wedding photographs album from our marriage in 1956. Apart from a picture of the signing of the register, there is not a single picture inside the church. I think pictures in church are a relatively recent thing and part of the social changes that are tending to make church weddings into "events" rather than religious ceremonies.

• What kind of wedding ceremony does not allow photographers and why would someone hire a photographer to be at such a ceremony??

This is not uncommon, even here in the US. We have faced this in a few particular locations. Usually the result of some Amateur or Rude photographer(s) who doesn't have any respect or brains and causes some disturbance in the ceremony.

@SimonAtkins, These are incredible! I have yet to bring my X100 into my wedding arsenal, but hope to do so soon.

My wedding work: http://blog.westparkphoto.com
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    great shots.
    Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • Saturday, 18th August I took my 5D-m-ii, X100 and X-pro1 for a wedding-shoot. It was a full day shoot, from preps to midnight wedding waltz, including portraits etc. The full monty;-).

I got home with about 1.300 images which to me i kind of low.
    A month ago i would have shot around 80% on my 5D and 20% on my x-pro1. And i would have shot more than 2.000 pics. That's 700 less pics to go through. The amount i will be delivering will be around the same. A little less but not much.

This time i shot 135 pics with the 5D, 230 on X100 and some 950 on the x-pro1.
    I have also noticed a change in my shooting style. I tend to think more before I shoot, whereas before I kind of machine-gunned away on my 5D's. The pics are better, or at least I feel they are.

On my 5D I did not change lens once. It was mounted with the 70-200F2.8. I did change on the x-pro1, but not much. Mostly i shot with the 35mm. Damn that lens is sharp!

So @SimonAtkins. We seem to shoot almost exactly with the same gear, which i find kind of amusing, but not surprisingly. It just hit me how much your post here sounded like me;-)

And GREAT SHOTS btw!!! ;-)
  • How many battery do you carry for the Fuji cameras? How often do you need to change the battery? Great photos!
  • chaosboichaosboi
    Love your work, and great post, very interesting hearing your working style.
    www.chaosboi.com
  • p3t3orp3t3or
    For one day of wedding photography with my x100 I carry 2 camera batteries and 2 sets of batteries for my ef42 flash. I really only have to change my camera batteries after about 5 hours of shooting.
  • shotageshotage
    Great work. I'm shooting my first wedding this weekend since changing my gear, I used to shoot with a D700 and prime lenses, mainly 24mm, 35mm and 50mm. Now I'm going to be shooting with the X-Pro1 35mm and 18mm. Also manual 50mm f/1.4 super takumar lens with a tilt adapter - I'm hoping I can use that for some nice selective focus shots of the couple during the ceremony, nice and quiet too. Anyway, just wanted to say I enjoyed your photos and I'm looking forward to shooting the wedding at the weekend with the xpro.
    Andy
    Andrew Newson - Photographer and Photography Tutor
    andrewnewson.co.uk
  • Hello all,
    I'm new here and since I was often visiting this forum I decided to sign in.
    I bought recently an X pro 1 which I love. Very happy for the decision...I only hope the EX 1 will be not better because that is in my opinion not really fair considering the high price I paid for this jewel. Lets's hope in the new firmware.

I write here because tomorrow I'll go for my first wedding! I do photography since many years but this is a new experience for me.
    I would ask your suggestions considering fill flash use!

I've the Ef X20 and I'm not sure on how I could best use it.

Shall I go with semi automatism using diafram priority or speed priority! (I love go full manual but here I think it could be too slow)
    I saw that using diafram priority, the camera puts mostly 52/sec (the same as the 60/sec of my old film cameras). Is this enough for the flower bouquet launch and for dancing people?
    Or shall I just go with high ISO, but this could be not enough if I need 250/sec to shot dancing people in the dark.
    Txs in advance for all your advices you can share with me.

Greetings from Siena and if you have some minutes try to visit me at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vvignoli/

Ciao,

Valerio

• steve1401steve1401
    Very impressed with these photos - truly documentary stuff and does get a 'proper' feel for the day.
  • @vignoliv, i've done around 7 weddings now with my X-Pro1. Most of the day I have it set to auto iso from 400 to 3200. Dynamic Range varies between 100 and auto. Manual to control shutterspeed or AV to control aperature.
    When it comes to the reception and dancefloor, which is often dark, i try to use high iso and fill in with flash. Flash never pointing directly, but more upwards or backwards. Just for fill. I do not use the EF-20 since i find it unstable. I use an old Nikon SB-800 on full manual. Works great.
    I am not afraid of using iso 3200, but i try to stay below iso 1600. Dancefloor pictures are almost never printed in big formats, so iso 3200 is no problem at all. My Canon 5D sometimes has to go as high as iso 6400.

Lately I've been running on Manual a lot. Say I want F4 and a shutter of 1/250 for couples dancing, the ISO becomes your friend. Throw in some fill flash and all you have to worry into is the ISO.

The way i use the X-Pro1 on weddings is changing after each wedding. I guess it's still because it's new to me. I've been shooting with Canon's for years, so my way of working with these are pretty much the same.

I hope you find your style. I can tell you that i use my X-Pro1 and X100 on 75% of my shots. The last 25% is from my Canon 5D mark ii, mostly with a 70-200F2.8 mounted on.
  • @Lars, do you use your sb800 corded off camera or will it work in the hotshoe?
  • Nielsen, many many thanks for your suggestions! I'll use the one on ISO setting! I'm still worried about scenes where fast movements need to be captured...

Steve, Txs for your comments on my book.

Filmgypsy, no I've for now only the chance to put it on the hotshoe. I'll keep the flash with wide panel On.

I went to the places where the cerimony will be hold, both church and restaurant. They are the most dark places I ever seen!!!!!

I'll definitely keep the 35 mm on the camera and use the 60 mm only for some detail macros.
    Txs again.
    I'll have the opportunity to check ths forum again taday in early afternoon. Need to in place at 1800 Italian time.
    Ciao,
    Valerio
  • @Filmgypsy, works in the hotshoe. I do have a Nikon HotShoe-cord which i have also used with success. I have not tried with a pc-sync-cord of any kind.

I have been using AlienBee systems with great success. These are more for portraits etc.
  • Hello all,

...it was a fantastic and hard experience. Here my comments.
    At the end I have material to perform a book, but I missed many many shots due to lack in autofocus speed.Fortunately they asked for an extra-ordinary work so I can use some of the slight out of fosuc shots.
    I do not have experience in wedding photography but CANNOT understand how you can do this kind of job with the X pro 1?! I was alone and with only one camera body.
    I'll never ever do it again.
    It was dark in the city council wedding room, very dark and the 35mm in many cases just was giving red squares! Moreover, the cerimony was in total maybe 5 minutes all inclusive, it WAS impossible getting all steps shot (kiss, rings etc.)!

At the end:
    -I'm happy that I have done this experience;
    -I'll never do it again with X Pro 1 and without second photographer;
    -I still love the camera but from my point of view it's not the right camera to use for this kind of jobs. And for this reason I'm confused if I should think I did the wrong investment and at present I cannot spend again all that money to buy a D5 with lenses.
    -the flash ef x20 did a great job.
    -Now I'll try to save the situation working out a book and use my creativity as much as possible.

Ciao,
    Valerio

• Hello Valerio,

I wouldn't personally use the X-Pro1 on it's own for wedding photography, it's a great camera to use for weddings but I use mine with my Canon 5DmkII's as the X-Pro1 does have some limitations and also because it is dangerous to have just one camera for wedding photography just in case it locks up and you miss important parts of the day.

The auto focus can be difficult in low light and a trick I have found is to slightly rotate the camera if it won't focus and often this allows it to lock focus, you can then turn it back before you take the shot. I used mine on Saturday for the first dance in a very dark room (I was getting 1/52sec at F1.4 using 6400iso), the couple weren't moving very quickly so I managed to focus on the edge of the brides face which had higher contrast than trying to focus on her eyes.

Events happen very quickly at weddings and you do have to react quickly to catch the "decisive moment", for me this is the challenge that keeps me photographing weddings.

I never use flash at weddings as I really don't like the look of it, it's too clinical and clean for my liking so I work by available light only. Often this means 3200iso or 6400iso at F1.4.

Simon.
  • slamphoto said:

How many battery do you carry for the Fuji cameras? How often do you need to change the battery? Great photos!

I have 3 batteries for the X-Pro1 but usually only need to use 2 of them as I am not shooting the entire wedding with the camera. I get about 300 images per battery, by comparison my 5DmkII's have never even got through one battery despite sometimes taking 1500 exposures.

• Simon,
    if I would buy one lens for a second hand Mark II and without any intention to buy more lenses, since I could do the 5D investment only for weddings and cerimonies (I DO NOT LIKE DIGITAL DSLR's!), which one do you suggest me?!
    A medium zoom!?

I have a flash Canon 430 (if I remember well) could this be enough on the 5D to go to a wedding without worries?!
    MANY txs,
    Valerio
  • Valerio,

You could get the very popular Canon 24-70mm for the 5DII and that would cover a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 70mm. A lot of wedding photographers love that lens but I don't own it myself, I prefer primes as they allow me to work in low light without flash, so I have a Canon 24mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4 and my only zoom is a 70-200mm F2.8.

Here in the UK many churches only allow photography from the back of the church so a 70-200mm is essential for me, it will be interesting to see what Fuji come up with as a longer zoom lens but I can't see them ever making a F2.8 zoom of this length as it takes a lot of heavy glass to get the F2.8 aperture across the whole zoom range.
  • @SimonAtkins - nice shots - first time I have seen your work. Just getting comfortable with my X100 and X-Pro. I bought them this summer and barely have 500 shots on each.

One question about shooting JPEG's - I use the JPEG files most of the time as I am not happy with the ACR/LR RAW conversions. Do you shoot all color JPEG's and do your BW conversion in LR or do you use the camera's BW settings?

RB
  • ersanrersanr
    great works!

nice composition, lighting and the moments.
    Fuji X-E1 (35mm f1.4) • Fuji X100 • Canon 5D mark 2 (35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, 135mm f2) • Canonet QL G3 • 21.5" iMac

http://ersanrasubala.blogspot.com
  • AndrewVAndrewV
    Everyone needs to take a breath and just admire this man's fine work. The photos are beautiful.
  • Great photos. Really impressive work with the X-Pro and X-100. I've been using the X-Pro for a week and would be very scared to shoot a wedding with it but already I've nailed some of those shots that people talk about. I like your idea of rotating the camera to lock focus. I have found already that focussing slightly off the main point on something with higher contrast can get you there. Still ALOT of room for improvement though. Focus peaking in firmware 2.01 would have been nice.

Thanks for sharing your awesome work.
  • rwboyer said:

@SimonAtkins - nice shots - first time I have seen your work. Just getting comfortable with my X100 and X-Pro. I bought them this summer and barely have 500 shots on each.

One question about shooting JPEG's - I use the JPEG files most of the time as I am not happy with the ACR/LR RAW conversions. Do you shoot all color JPEG's and do your BW conversion in LR or do you use the camera's BW settings?

RB

I shoot everything in colour JPEG, I then use Lightroom for my colour work and Photoshop to create my black and white. I do not like the black and white from Lightroom and find black and white out of the camera is really lacking. One great thing with using a colour image to create the black and white from is you can use colour sliders to change the black and white tones.
  • rwboyer said:

@SimonAtkins - nice shots - first time I have seen your work. Just getting comfortable with my X100 and X-Pro. I bought them this summer and barely have 500 shots on each.

RB

I shoot everything in colour JPEG, I then use Lightroom for my colour work and Photoshop to create my black and white. I do not like the black and white from Lightroom and find black and white out of the camera is really lacking. One great thing with using a colour image to create the black and white from is you can use colour sliders to change the black and white tones.

@SimonAtkins - again great work and thanks for the input...
  • These are great wedding photo. Do you adjust anything in the camera setting like sharpness, high tone, low tone and colour? what film stimulation you use the most?

I am also a wedding photographer has been shooting with Canon 5D Mark II with 24mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.2. I just purchase a Fuji X-E1 with 18mm and 35mm. I already shoot portraits with it, love the colour. I will try to shoot at wedding for the first time this weekend. Your photo is very inspiring.
  • LodroLodro
    I'm really a documentary shooter, but was asked by friends to shoot their vedic wedding. I do have a 1Ds and L lens set, but instead packed my X-pro, the 18mm, the 35 mm, the voigtlander 15mm heliar and 50mm nokton. And I bought a EF42 Fuji flashgun.

Challenging stuff, but very happy with the shots, and the happy couple likes them too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rethinkingvisual/sets/72157631886177338/

• RB

Simon, first of all fantastic shots...I've only got an X10 but am looking to get the kind of contrast you're achieving on B&W images...

For B&W on the X10 I change the film type to B but would I be better shooting everything in colour and then converting?

Also are there any guides for the types of "tweaks" you make in Photoshop to improve your B&W photos?

Don't give lessons do you?
  • theselby said:

RB

Simon, first of all fantastic shots...I've only got an X10 but am looking to get the kind of contrast you're achieving on B&W images...

For B&W on the X10 I change the film type to B but would I be better shooting everything in colour and then converting?

Also are there any guides for the types of "tweaks" you make in Photoshop to improve your B&W photos?

Firstly shoot in colour, black and white straight from the camera never seems to look as good. Secondly get the colour image looking as good as you can before doing the black and white conversion. Images that have poor colour rarely make a good black and white so make sure the white balance is correct and the image is as good as you can get it in colour. Then do your black and white conversion by whatever means you like, I suggest using a method that uses the channel mixer as discussed here - http://www.bythom.com/bandw.htm

Then a trick to boost contrast is reversed unsharp mask, something like Amount = 50 or lower, Radius = 161, just watch it doesn't blow your highlights. Then a final tweak in curves should do the trick.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter