Over exposing
  • AndreAndre
    Hi all,

I have noticed that my copy of the camera is over exposing scenes in a way that you get a bright and detailed picture of the scene. So when I am shooting in low light, which I do a lot, the camera seems to try to expose everything as goog as possible to get the maximum of detail. But that's not what the actual scene looks like.
    I have had another x100 a month ago that didn't show the same behaviour.

I read about stuck aperture blades but I have tested mine through and didn't find them stuck.
    My images where also over exposed at F2.

I am so sad about this because I remember that my first copy was always spot on with the meter and white balance. Which let me to use the OVF a lot and trust the cameras metering.

It's also weird that half a shutter press doesn't show me a correct exposure preview.
    The images always end up brighter then the preview.

I am usually switching between multi and spot metering.

Is this something you know?

• Andre,

Did you get an answer to your question. I am having the same issue with my X100. It is overexposing images. when i hold the shutter halfway down for a few seconds the viewfinder go bright and the image records as overexposed.
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    I had the same issue over the weekend. It doesn't seem to happen all the time but I definitely think it's a bug. In my case I noticed the ISO would go to the MAX ISO allowed. I turned the camera off and back on problem went away for a few frames, then bam back to over exposing. When I tested this I was careful to make sure the camera position and scene were the same.

When I say over exposed I mean WAAAY over exposed.
  • Bigrobb2, Yes, that sounds exactly what I am experiencing. I am taking mine back to the store and see what can be done about this. I don't know if this is a mechanical problem or if it is a software problem. Have you been able fix yours?
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    Nope. I think you maybe waisting your time returning it. I have a friend with a X100 same issue. Hopefully it will be fixed with a firmware update.
  • Well that doesn't make me happy. I guess I better let Fujifilm officially know so they can add it to the list. This a bummer since it makes me not know if the camera is going to perform when I need it to. I wonder how widespread this problem and if it is a known problem to Fujifilm. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one with the problem.
  • I called Fuji support and it is a known issue. There is a problem with the lens and either the camera store can replace it or it has to be sent in for repair. They are supposed to be turning them around in 48 hours and ship back overnight shipping. There is no pattern to the problem, my problem started at just about 1,000 photos. It affects some cameras and not others. Sometimes the problem shows up immediately and sometimes it is after a while. Dissappointing! I will let you know how it goes.
  • All cameras do this. That's what the exposure compensation knob is for. No matter what the lighting conditions are, a camera will always try to expose for Zone 5.

As for over exposure, the X100 is not able to go above 1/1000th of a second if the aperture is set below f8. Use the neutral density-filter to compensate for that.
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    @gtrent733 Thanks for the info.
    @rymdimperiet This has nothing to do with your comment.
  • @bigrobb2 You are welcome. I will let you know what happens when I get it back. Hopefully over the weekend as I shipped it today.
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    I just confirmed the blade issue with mine too :(
    I put the aperture in manual mode and half click the shutter. You can see that the blades don't close properly. At the same setting sometime it closes a little some time barely at all. Ill have to call it in tomorrow or friday
  • @bigrobb2 Read that first paragraph of the OP again and tell me it has nothing to do with the camera over-exposing a dark scene automatically. My X100 does this too It's not broken.

Sorry to read about the sticking blades. First I've ever heard of it.
  • dole7dole7
    @gtrent733: would you be so nice to share some example pictures of the over-exposed pics. Just to have a comparison because mine might seem to have a similar problem...thx
  • I just got my x100 and took some night shots and realized it has been overexposing as well. Can you put some pictures up?
  • Hmm I think using the spot metering can fix the problem as well. Works alright for me :)
    I think using the multi/average meter forces the camera to bring all the light into the picture as much as possible. Just my 2 cents.
  • @dole7 yes. when i get home this evening i will post a couple.
  • If matrix metering is used then the exposure depends on light distribution in the frame. If most of the frame is dark then it would look like an overexposure. But that's the way metering algorithms work. So, without seeing the picture it's hard to tell whether there is a problem.

As for exposure strategies I would recommend an excellent book by Michael Freeman "Perfect Exposure" where he deals with all these issues. And, no, I'm not associated with the publisher.

• X100 test shot-0960

X100 test shot-0961

Thanks for all the viewpoints and input but Fujifilm Technical Support admitted there was an issue with the camera and are fixing it so I am going with their explanation and resolution. :)
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    @rymdimperiet Sorry thought you were commenting to gtrent733 and my self since Andre abandoned this thread.
  • @gtrent733 did they mention if the problem is with the hardware or the software?
  • tanpaxtanpax
    I'm having the same issue. I'm gonna get back to my dealer and see what's gonna be done.
  • @jaynamana I asked before I sent it back if this was a firmware issue (I really didn't want to send it back) but tech support said it was a hardware issue so off it went. The good thing is Fujifilm moves the X100s to the front of the line for 48 turnaround and ships overnight to get it back quickly. Looking to get mine back early next week.
  • jackkjackk
    I'm so confused now, after reading this thread. Does my X100 have this issue? Or it happens because of me being a newbie? Help!!!

I could not trust the OVF like OP because of the same issue. This issue gets worse especially when I try using "Multi" metering with ND on in A mode - most of the pictures look washed out.

I have to set camera to spot metering and move the focus around the subject until I see the correct/better exposure is shown in the EVF or LCD display before taking a picture. Otherwise I may get a bunch of over exposed (usually not focused at the same time) shots when using OVF only...

Here is an example, both pictures taken in A mode Macro enabled - F4. The room was fairly bright. For some reason the camera decided to use ISO3200 on both pictures. 1st picture turned out to be over exposed with 1/10 shutter speed. Then I manually set EV to -0.3 and moved the focus box around the turtle until I see a better exposure/look in the EVF. I then got a better shot... is it because of the -0.3 exposure bias or 1/30 shutter speed?!!!! Help!!!! (update: I realized that shutter speed would go from 1/10 to 1/30 when I set EV to -0.3. Will continue to test device w/ multi metering instead of spot)

practice focusing shots... i didn't get the focus right :)

Over exposed

Looks better

Thoughts? Thank you in advance for helping a newbie!

• I wonder how many x100s have a problem with the aperture blades sticking? My first unit had this issue and was replaced with a new one, but I'm hearing of this problem more and more as time goes on.
  • jackkjackk
    drmark05 said:

I wonder how many x100s have a problem with the aperture blades sticking? My first unit had this issue and was replaced with a new one, but I'm hearing of this problem more and more as time goes on.

When the aperture blades get stuck, did you hear any sound like a gear or something gets stuck inside the camera? It happened to me couple times when I turned on the camera. It made some weird "gearing" sound and LCD display showed "Please turn off and turn on camera again." I encountered the sound every single time I turned the camera on/off. I had to pull the battery in order to get the camera working again...

Had this happened to any of you who had the aperture blade issue? I just want to make sure my unit has this issue before bringing it to the camera shop i bought the unit from. Thanks.

• With mine, there was no gearing sound, just the blades clearly trying to get to where you had set them. It seems to me it is a mechanical issue, like the spring is not strong enough to do what it's supposed to do.
  • As promised, Fujifilm had my X100 back to me ASAP. FEDEX just delivered it this morning and so far it seems to work just fine. Out this afternoon to shoot and see what time will tell but they show that they replaced the lens assembly. Hopefully this is it for any issues. Love having it back in my hands again.
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    @gtrent733 Good to read that you got it back so quick. Sending mine off tomorrow. I am going on vacation next week, it would be a bummer not to have it.
  • jackkjackk
    drmark05 said:

With mine, there was no gearing sound, just the blades clearly trying to get to where you had set them. It seems to me it is a mechanical issue, like the spring is not strong enough to do what it's supposed to do.

Thank you drmark05. Guess I'll switch from Spot to Multi metering to see if how my X100 works when I use the OVF. Perhaps the issue i have is I'm not 100% familiar with how Spot Metering works, I learned that the shutter speed would go from 1/10 to 1/30 when I change Exposure Bias to -0.3 (so my example I posted above is not "sound" enough). Will see what gtrent733 has to say as he has his unit back now....
  • dole7dole7
    @grent733: thx for the sample pics above, seems that mine does not have this "extrem" situation.
    however @jackk it seems that we might have a similar "problem". maybe it is wrong handling, but I have not experienced this kind of washed out pics from my nikon.
    I am also curious how this turns out, because in the beginning my pics were spot on, but now it seems getting worse. I will keep u posted.
  • Interesting. I've seen this happen on my camera as well but always figured it was just a metering mistake as it does happen. But now that I start to think of it it always happened to me at smaller apertures and I mostly shoot at f/2 so I haven't seen it happen that much.

I just had a look at how it behaved and there is no difference in aperture size between f/2 and f/2.8 on my camera for example. And f/16 can vary in size so that it sometimes is double the size of other times. So I did one exposure per aperture step and adjusted the shutter time for each step which should produce images with the same exposure, but I got brighter and brighter exposures for each step down in aperture.

I will look into it more, but it seems to be the same problem and it might explain why I found it to behave strange sometimes.
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    @kennylovrin You have described my situation exactly, except yesterday the problem was even worse. I sent mine in today for repair. I just hope these faulty lenses aren't replaced with more faulty lenses.
  • @bigrobb2 same here, I sent mine away yesterday as well. I talked to Fuji Sweden and they said it definitely sounded like a hardware issue when I described it. The store where I bought and left it never heard of it though. But then again I don't think there have been as many X100 sold in sweden as in US for example. The Fuji guy actually came back to me and said a different custom have had his camera fixed for for a similar issue recently and that it took a week even though it had to be sent from Fuji Sweden to Fuji UK. I'm guessing that will happen to me as well.

On a side note, I think I read on the dpreview forum that some of the people with the problem had cameras in the 12xxxx serial number range. Mine starts at 12 as well. Don't want to spread any rumors as that might be totally unrelated. But i still found it to be an interesting coincidence.
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    @kennylovrin They should probably stop selling these cameras while they work out this issue. My serial is in the 13xxxxxx range, so that may just be a rumor
  • jackkjackk
    Mines is in 12A range. I'll perform the stop down testing when i have time. Thanks for all the information everybody!
  • @gtrent733 congratulations on getting your x100 back! :)
    Did they mention what was wrong with the hardware?
    Since this is my first DSLR I am having a hard time figuring out if I have this problem or not.

Exposure 0.125 sec (1/8)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Speed 1600
    Exposure Bias 0 EV

Exposure 0.033 sec (1/30)
    Aperture f/5.6
    ISO Speed 1250
    Exposure Bias -2 EV

I am so confused. Is it normal for DSLRs to behave this way?
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    @Jaynamana That looks pretty normal to me. If you had the aperture blade issue the exposure comp wouldn't really do anything. Try putting the camera in 100% manual. Take a properly exposed shot @ f2. Then shoot (leaving the settings the same) at f2.8 and so on until you reach f16. You should be able to see a big difference between f2 and f16. F16 should be really under exposed.
  • v_romav_roma
    I also have the aperture blade problem. I started getting overexposed pictures recently and immediately suspected this is was the problem since I had read about it from a few other owners. It was very easy to confirm by looking at the aperture blades while half-pressing the shutter button repeatedly in Av mode and seeing different apertures. For some reason, it seems to happen more at F4 than anything else but I'm not sure why. Seems like an unfortunate problem to have in so many cameras. I have yet to send mine in as I have an upcoming project that I need the X100 for (and for which I can work around the aperture problem if it doesn't get worse).
  • bigrobb2bigrobb2
    I received mine back and its working like a champ. I'm thinking it never worked properly in the fist place. Big difference in aperture hole size. Fix was "Replaced Lens assembly".

The camera is spot on now.
  • adanacadanac
    Here's another user hit by the sticky aperture blades issue.

If you get hit with this and need a short term work around, try assigning the Depth of Field preview function the the fn button; I was able to "force" the blades of my lens to move by hitting the fn button and then depressing shutter half way. If the camera was turned off I'd have to go through this step again.

This worked for a period of time until nothing would budge the blades from wide open.

Currently out for warranty repair. Sigh.
  • It's interesting to see this issue here on the community, we're perhaps a small cross section of X100 users worldwide, but clearly it's happening to a fraction of X100 users. I'd be curious to know everyone's serial numbers who have been affected by this problem, perhaps it's confined to a certain range of cameras, or maybe it's truly random.
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • I got mine back as well this week. I don't know in detail what they did, but it came with a service card which had "Checked" checked for every single thing on the camera and also "Adjusted" checked for aperture and shutter. If that means they actually adjusted or exchanged something in the lens I don't know.

I haven't had time to really test the camera since I got it back, but it seems to work without any issues in my brief tests.
  • On X100forum.com there seem to be a goodly number of folks who have experienced the sticky aperture blade issue; perhaps we are all the same folks here though! It does seem that regardless of which country one resides in, the Fujifilm office servicing that country is well aware of the problem.

Still waiting for mine back, fingers crossed that it is sent out by courier today...
  • Word of advice: include photos (in the camera's internal memory, for example) documenting your problem when sending it in for repair. Even though I enclosed a letter explaining the problem in detail and the person on the phone seemed to be aware of this issue, I just received my X100 back from Fuji NJ and nothing was fixed. The repair ticket said everything was checked and found to be within factory specs. Yet, the first shot I took after taking the X100 out of the box was overexposed (as were all others thereafter at apertures smaller than f2). I am sending it back tomorrow with 2 pictures saved to the internal memory taken within seconds of each other with equivalent exposure settings but showing significantly different histograms. Let's hope this does it and the camera actually gets fixed this time. I'm more annoyed at having gotten back the camera without it being fixed than when I discovered the problem in the first place, to be honest. It just seems like adding insult to injury. /venting
  • @v_roma Checking the aperture blade operation is easy. f/2 should close a little while f/16 should be about the size of a pin head. (very small). I can't see what they couldn't catch that.

When Mine had the issue F16 was close to the size of f2.8. Now the difference is like night and day.
  • My camera was shipped across Canada on a Monday, received at Fujifilm Canada's dock on Tuesday, repaired over Wed-Thursday, shipped back to me on Thursday, arrived back in Vancouver on Friday.

Service documentation said the lens assembly was replaced.

Prior to sending it in I sent via email a series of shots with EXIF data backing up the observation that the aperture was not closing properly.

PLEASE NOTE: In my case the problem was intermittent at first and grew progressively worse over time. As an example, by assigning the Depth of Field Preview function to the Fn button, I was initially able to force the blades to move. As more exposures were added on to the camera, that trick stopped working. Early on when I first thought I noted something wrong I wasn't looking for a physical blade issue and thought my X100 had a software problem. As the problem presented itself on a more regular basis, I quickly figured out that it was the aperture blades simply by looking at them while trying different aperture settings.

However I did note at that time that sometimes the blades would close, or almost close, to the proper opening. Again, the failure wasn't always 100% or regular, until the camera had more exposures. By 2500 exposures or so (I was on a multi-week trip) it was happening all the time.

If you think you have the problem but it seems intermittent, you may just be X exposures away from having a full time issue. Take the documentary photos to prove the issue and don't wait to get it repaired... much nicer now that it's fixed!
  • @bigrobb2 Much like adanac, my problem is intermittent (but getting worse) so it may have not manifested itself during the limited testing conducted by the Fuji technicians. I was led to believe that they were aware of this specific problem and it never occurred to me that they wouldn't try to fix it. At the very least, I should've gotten a call before the camera was shipped back to me saying they had not found anything. At that point, I could've probably dug up some old photos showing the problem to send to them.

EDIT: To be fair, since I did post here to complain, I thought I'd update this by saying that Fuji appear to be trying to make things right. They will pay for shipping back to the repair center and will try to turn around the camera the same day since they did not fix the problem the first time around. If the camera comes back fixed, I'll be a happy guy and can go back to taking photos with this otherwise amazing camera.
  • @v_roma Well that's good news, I hope they fix her up. I went through separation anxiety after I sent mine off.
  • gregvdsgregvds
    Is this still a current problem or past? Did new X100 owners had the problem recently?

I'm really bothered by this issue, I hate to send back new stuff I have, and usually, I always have problems with new stuff (maybe I'm picky...).
  • There are two seemingly similar, yet actually unrelated "overexposre" problems being discussed in this thread. Hopefully, the following info will prove helpful for both.

First: "Help! My X100 is overexposing nighttime/dark scenes."

Answer: Your X100 is NOT broken or malfunctioning. Its metering system is operating as it should. My Nikon D3s does exactly the same thing. Why? In simple terms, camera metering systems see the world as "gray" and set an exposure to render it that way. So very dark or night scenes will appear overexposed. (And very bright/white scenes, like snow, can appear underexposed.) In the case of cameras like the D3s and X100, which have highly light sensitive sensors, an evening/night scene shot with automatic metering can almost appear to be a well-exposed daylight photo. You must use exposure compensation to override the automatic metering. It's easy on the X100: just view the scene on the LCD, and dial in "minus" exposure compensation until the lighting in the actual scene and what's on the LCD seem to match. Take your photo and if it's still not quite right, adjust the exposure compensation again, either plus or minus. It may take a few tries before you're satisfied with the results. This is all perfectly normal.

Second: "Help! My X100 is overexposing many/most of my photos."

Answer: Your camera may have sticking aperture blades which require repair by Fuji. Here's an easy test to see if they're sticking. First, set your X100 to manual exposure. Then set the shutter dial to A, and the aperture dial to f16. Look into the lens and partially depress the shutter until the shutter blades close, but before a picture is taken. Do this repeatedly, perhaps a dozen or more times. In each case, the shutter leaves should quickly close down to exactly the same small-sized hole, no sluggishness or sticking, then pop open again as soon as you release the shutter button. Now work your way up the aperture dial, doing the same procedure for every f-stop. If you see sluggish or sticking aperture blades at any point during these tests, then make note of the f-stop where the problem occurred and contact Fuji for repair. If you don't see any problems, then I'd assume there isn't a mechanical issue with your camera.
  • nibenniben
    Well, I don´t think it is as simple as that.

My X100 also overexpose pretty often, and I dont seem to have sticky aperture blades as the pictures are consistant over the range.

However as I did some testing with my Nikon D7000 the X100 seem to overexpose 2/3 to 1 stop over the Nikon metering consistantly, and I feel the Nikon metering is more on target. As you say, both cameras don´t handle dark scenes perfect but I wouldn´t say my X100 is really operating as it should. 1 stop difference is pretty much compared to the Nikon.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter