Kippon adaptor nikon lens light meter??
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    If I buy a Fuji sexy 1 just for the body. I mean body only. A kippon adapter and then a Nikon 50mm 1.8 for 100 bucks will I then have a beautiful small camera with a 75 1.8 lens on a small body and great sensor ? Will the light meter work ? How will the manual focusing be ?
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejayceeveejaycee
    I've just got the Kipon adapter for Nikon F mount lenses and use it with (amongst others), the Nikon 50mm f1.8. You can use the camera in full manual mode - setting aperture and shutter speed yourself and letting the auto ISO take care of the exposure (within bounds). You can - as I did today set the aperture and put the shutter on "A" auto (you can use auto ISO or manual ISO).
    Focus is manual. With a 50mm legacy lens/adapter setup I found it easiest to use the EVF and 3x zoom on a small focus box. The 50mm is probably the easiest to use and gives fantastic results. The longer the lens used in this fashion, the more difficult it becomes to get critical sharp focus with a wide aperture. I found that with my 85mm f1.8 it was difficult to hold steady when using the 3X EVF zoom and that a slightly larger focus box worked better along with an aperture around f2.8 - f4. I expect to use my 50mm and 85mm only when low light makes it necessary.
    So, you will be able to use the camera but the 50mm (75mm), focal length is not great for general use. If you intend to use only legacy lenses due to financial constraints then I would advise you to save your money. In those circumstances, there is no doubt in my mind that the current offer of XE-1 + 18-55mm f2.8 zoom is the best value by far. If you really feel you need a setup of XE-1 + legacy prime, then search the used columns and ebay for M42 mount 35mm lenses (for a 50mm equiv). The adapter for M42 is a little shallower than that for Nikon and the lenses are cheaper with a vast range of makes and models to choose from. If you already have a 50mm Nikon and it is your intention to purchase a Fuji lens or 2 at a later date then fine but you will not get as good a deal as is currently on offer for body + lens. I know you've been agonising for some time and yet I believe you already have an X body and a D600 so my final piece of advice is this - either buy the body+lens offer or forget about buying right now and use the excellent gear you already own. I get the feeling you are spending more time agonising and on this forum waiting for someone to force you to buy the sexy one and that you are not taking any pictures while doing so. There is a possible bonus in waiting - there will be a fair proportion who don't give the XE-1 focus a fair go and sell off their new gear and you will be waiting to take their almost new gear off their hands at a reduced cost.
    BTW. I only took my XP1 and 35mm f1.4 plus 50 and 85mm Nikon lenses to a Festival of Remembrance service today and guess what - I should have taken my Nikon FX/DX gear! If you want to take shots quickly you need Fuji lenses - if you have time compose and focus then legacy lenses are fine but the manual focus is not as fast as the old rangefinders because these X cameras don't have true rangefinders. Legacy lenses are ok for street only if you use zone focusing IMO.
    Vic
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, Fuji XF 60mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Thanks for your comments and time and help.
    You are right I am agonising about this camera and the xpro 1 and it is mainly due to the fantastic looks as well as the IQ not to mention the smaller size.

But actually I think my Nikon D 600 (which replaced the D7000 ,(D90 ) Lumux FZ30 was it ? Nikon film FE2 Fg20 ) is fantastic and I am lucky to be able to afford one. And as my back up I have the X10 which also looks retro and amazing and is really small. I keep the X10 in a custom made leather pouch along with my second hand iphone. I have it with me day and night. I use the micro a lot. I have the black and white set on one of the modes. The filters actually are effective and fun. Then I have a fast lens that saves me carrying a 35, 50, 85, and a 100. And its metal !And with IS .

And the reason or one of the reasons I wanted the XE1 is for the Boker and if I weaken I would get the 35mm lens and not the kippon adapter now . $1,300. I have been quoted. Or what I should do is go and buy the nikon 85mm 1.8D which is selling for 300 here in Cambodia.

But despite all these nerdy camera cravings I am using my gear. I love the wire less SB600 with the Nikon. I have heard I can use this with the X10?

I think I will wait. Wait until the xpro 1 comes down a lot and then maybe have it as a special camera to drool over. I love it with the ovf.

Anyway I used to carry my Nikon every where and I include all night parties in the Australian bush and the weight in my low pro back back was never too much.

Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejayceeveejaycee
    The 35mm f1.4 is a superb lens, I'd go so far as to say that matched with the XP1/EX-1 it is the sharpest setup I've used. Even so, I suspect that if you get the EX-1 + 35mm you will end up buying the zoom as well. That may be the kiss of death for your X10. (Don't go lining all your X cams up a shelf to admire - as good looking as they are you're supposed to use them not gaze at them. :)
    I got the XP1 rather than the XE-1 simply because I got a great deal on new body and 35mm (same as the special deals offered on XE-1 and lens). However, since then I've realised I got an extra lucky break since I'd never handled either and found even the XP1 just slightly small for my average sized hands. I've ordered the handgrip which has dropped in price here and it should then be perfect. I use also D300 and D700 but with encroaching arthritis in my hands (maybe why I need the XP1 to fit), I find I can't walk around holding the Nikons for long so they'll be used when I have a particular shoot in mind or when I don't need to carry them for long - I shall sell one of them anyway. That sale should help buy me an XE-1 with grip and I'll then have a light dual setup. Since trying the XP1 with adapter mount I would not use longer than 85mm without a monopod and no longer than 135mm unless I can pick up a cheap lens foot for my 180mm.
    If you're interested, my own lens map is 14mm, obviously to cover the wide angles and to allow for some creativity, 35mm f.4 as my low light choice along with Nikon 50 + 85. The 18-55 zoom for general purpose and when it comes on line the 55-200mm. By then I may feel able to sell my remaining Nikon body and zooms. I just wish I could process Fuji raw in my favourite Capture NX2.
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, Fuji XF 60mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    If I carry the zoom I might as well carry the D600. I have shied away from zooms for a while now. It is true if I did purchase the zoom my x10 would be dead in the water.

I like shallow depth of field for portraits and this is something I have trouble getting with the x10. This morning I woke with lust for the XE1 I shall take a cold shower .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejaycee said:

In those circumstances, there is no doubt in my mind that the current offer of XE-1 + 18-55mm f2.8 zoom is the best value by far.

18-55 is not f2.8 it is f2.8-f4.0. At 50mm it will be f4.0 when nikon lens is f1.8. That might be important difference to OP because he say.

I like shallow depth of field for portraits and this is something I have trouble getting with the x10.

"I can only agree with your first sentence." Quote karlbown
  • Dup
  • I love the wire less SB600 with the Nikon. I have heard I can use this with the X10?

Only on camera with SB600 in M mode. Will not work off camera as slave unless you have pocket wisard or similar. No TTL for flash available.

• veejayceeveejaycee

veejaycee said:

In those circumstances, there is no doubt in my mind that the current offer of XE-1 + 18-55mm f2.8 zoom is the best value by far.

18-55 is not f2.8 it is f2.8-f4.0. At 50mm it will be f4.0 when nikon lens is f1.8. That might be important difference to OP because he say.

I like shallow depth of field for portraits and this is something I have trouble getting with the x10.

I know that - you know that - he knows that!
    Think about this - if I had simply typed "18-55mm zoom" would that have mislead him into buying and thinking it was a fast lens?
    Why are you so negative, argumentative and unpleasant on this forum? Do you police all comments for typos? Your own response says "at 50mm" when we all know the long end is 55mm - it just doesn't matter really.
    I'm sure your you're a nice chap really - you are knowledgeable and you share that knowledge (but remember, you don't know everything).
    If you and just a few others were less argumentative and intolerant towards other members offering their opinions - or if you just changed the manner of your responses - this would be a far nicer place to visit.
    Your response above might be written "It should be noted the max aperture of the Fuji 18-55mm zoom is f2.8 at the wide end but f4 at the tele end".
    That's a correction of the facts and not a condemnation of the person making the comment.
    Vic

• Sorry for my english not being correct.
    I love you too
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    Wait. The kit lens solution is the best value for money from how i see it.

Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • veejayceeveejaycee

If I carry the zoom I might as well carry the D600. I have shied away from zooms for a while now. It is true if I did purchase the zoom my x10 would be dead in the water.

I like shallow depth of field for portraits and this is something I have trouble getting with the x10. This morning I woke with lust for the XE1 I shall take a cold shower .

A cold shower won't work my friend.
    I understand your desire for shallow depth of field in portraits - the 35mm will give you that but as you know it is not the ideal lens for portraiture (although waist length should be okay), so that brings us back to the Nikon 50mm f1.8 and Kipon adapter. This will probably be my setup for posed portraits and maybe the 85mm f1.8 too (but I already own these). Surely though, you will not only be taking portraits - that's where the excellent kit zoom comes in - probably the best "kit zoom" ever made, so good that it really doesn't deserve such a title.
    If you can get the kit with zoom you can then look around for a used 50mm lens of your choice. I guess it makes sense to get a Nikon as you can use it on the D600 but there are other superb lens out there - just get the adapter to fit. If you only expect to buy 1 or 2 legacy lenses and you want Nikon then my advice is to go for older AIS lenses or early AF non G lenses since you can set the exact aperture you want on the lens rather than rely on guesswork with the Kipon slide control (those older lenses are cheaper and more numerous).
    Then of course, you could wait for the XF 56mm f1.4 - now we're talking shallow DoF - now we're talking bokeh! Of course we haven't seen the results yet, my bet is that it will be stunning on all counts - but pricey.
    Vic
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Maybe the Rogerrabbit should change his name to Argy bargy and its not the lack of english he knows full well he is stirring.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• pominpocketpominpocket
    I think the zoom (that has an aperture of 4 at the 55 end of the zoom (as we both know) and have been reminded of in case we forget will be too big and too slow. I wanted a little carry around only that looks beautiful. I did carry the D7000 with a 50mm for about a year.

As Roger will tell me 50mm on a DX format is really 75. Funny but I like this for day to day use. So yes I would love to get the 56 1.4. .

But then again the zoom is a temptation . But the x10 has a zoom. This might sound stupid but at low ISO can we really spot the difference between the iq of x10 and X-e1?

Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• pominpocketpominpocket
    I have 2.8 at 112 mm but small sensor on x10 so not really shallow depth of field
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejayceeveejaycee
    Yes it is indeed the smaller sensor that has a great effect on DoF - about 1 stop of DoF from FX down to DX and the same from DX to Micro 4/3. I guess the X10 is about the same as the latter? This puts the long end of the 18-55mm f2.8 - f4 at the equivalent of 83mm f5.6. That's fairly close to the effective minimum DoF of the 112mm end of the X10 - not bad but I agree it's not ideal for low light portraits.
    From the comparisons I've seen of low ISO images and keeping size down, you would have to actually look for the difference twixt XP1 and X10 to see it. If an image looks good at what should be its correct viewing distance then that's good enough for me. I will say that XP1 (and EX-1) images at full resolution stand up well whereas those from the X10 tend to fall apart at full size and are best shown at 1 or 2 sizes down (I'm talking about the sizes on Flickr here). At higher ISOs, as good as it is compared to others in its class, the X10 doesn't compare so well against XP1 - XE-1 nor should we expect it to.
    Only since reading your piece above do I realise how often I've used my 85mm on full frame as a walkaround people shooter. I'm not an "in your face" wide angle shooter for street, I prefer to stand back a little and avoid offending my subjects whom I like to capture as candidly as possible (the mirror slap of a D700 frightens children 2 streets away).
    So, your 75mm f1.8 may indeed do the job required. I saw somewhere recently a roughish test of different legacy lenses used on the XP1. The Oly Zeiko f1.8 S came out best but Pentax was next (all were very close actually). Pentax m42 uses a much slimmer adapter than Nikon F making for a more compact unit, the Kipon adapter for F mount is about the same size as the 50mm lens so it's not a pocketable setup even on the XE-1.
    Vic
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Well I am exhibiting prints and have photos in shops and hotels here in Cambodia and am making money from it albeit no a small fortune. How do you make a small fortune in Cambodia ? Arrive with a big fortune.

I made a black and white of some chess players on the x10 and this I blew up pretty big. But later I see detail is going at this size. So I want the good quality X-E1 body only $780 here. I have decided against the kippon now as I do not like the sound of the manual focus method and weight.

If I could carry the X-E1 in my waist pouch with the 35 and later buy the 56 I might be set. But then I think why did I buy the D600? I think I should buy the Nikon 85mm 1.8 for the D600. But most of my time I am on dusty streets on a motor bike.

You can check my photos on x10therawfiles (word press blog) or David Hollidayraw face book .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    pominpocket. Cambodia? Would I interest you on taking a group of us on a tour?
    Featured:

• pominpocketpominpocket
    yes I could do that. As it happens I am setting up some photographic tours .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejayceeveejaycee

pominpocket. Cambodia? Would I interest you on taking a group of us on a tour?

That's called "serendipity" guys.
    Vic
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I have contacts who already do tours. Sorry did not see the movie . Serendipity is that aa movie? Photographic tours ? The real deal
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejayceeveejaycee
    Sorry Pom. Serendipity is fate - when everything comes together smoothly as if it was meant to happen - Wilz asking about photographic tours and you just about to set some up.

Vic
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Yes of course . Sorry to be slow on the uptake. Yes could work out fine . And we can use Fuji X cameras if I could decide between X-E1 and X100 .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• veejayceeveejaycee
    The only advantage I see for you in the X100 is the silent operation. An XE-1 with the 35mm f1.4 has all the other advantages. You can if you want later get a 23mm f1.4 - when it arrives and have narrower DoF than with X100. The 35mm at max aperture has very narrow a DoF. With the 18-55mm I think you'll still be happy with the Dof at the long end f4 but maybe just wait a couple of days until members begin uploading their pictures to see just how it looks to you. I predict that you will buy the EX-1 and 18-55mm zoom.
    Briefly - your getting the XE-1 with zoom pretty much kills any reason for having the others except the X10 is smaller and the x100 is quieter (and very pretty). How important are those things to you.
    Unless you need to sell to finance the XE, your X10 is still the camera that fits in your pocket.
    Vic
  • veejayceeveejaycee

Yes of course . Sorry to be slow on the uptake. Yes could work out fine . And we can use Fuji X cameras if I could decide between X-E1 and X100 .

The first picture in this series is the XE + zoom at 55mm wide open.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3336885

• pominpocketpominpocket
    Yes the x100 is pretty. But so is the X-E1 I think.
    I would love to get the X-E1 but as I just bought the D600 Nikon (trading the D7000) I thought I could use that when IQ is really important and the X10 as a walk about. But after comparing the files from the two I almost put the x10 to one side. If I can get amazing IQ on XE1 then I would leave the nikon and x10 at home. As it is I leave the nikon at home !!
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• pominpocketpominpocket
    Its a lust thing and a guilt thing . I lust the XE1 but would feel guilty to leave the 2 k Nikon behind .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7

Great. Do let me know.

wilswong@wilzworkz.com
    Featured:

• WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7

I may interest Fujifilm Singapore to help along if we can give them a good reason

Featured:

• WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7

Its a lust thing and a guilt thing . I lust the XE1 but would feel guilty to leave the 2 k Nikon behind .

I am STILL a Nikon guy. The D200/D70 has been sitting pretty with far more frequency than the X100, which has not visited the dry box for the past 2 days...have to soon no thanks to the humid weather.

D200/D70? Yup...D200 i feel has no good successor in the form of D300/D300s. D600? I feel the Image Quality of XP1/X100/XE1 is close to of even match the D700 and so D600 is not a huge leap IMHO. D800/E? I think I can put better use with that kind of money.
    Featured:

• ArtPhotoArtPhoto
    I have been doing a lot of research and evaluation of what I want in my photography and today I will be picking up the X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4. I am abandoning my Nikon DSLRs and its gear after a decade. I still have some old Ai lenses from back in the day that I plan on using on the X-E1 [the 50mm 1.8 Ai for portraitures] which will equal a 75mm equivalent on the Fuji sensor. I just have to find the best Nikon>XF adapter that will be spot-on with the physical fit and sensor distance to rear element. I am reading that some lower cost third party adapters will be off and can cause less than desirable sharpness than what the lens is capable of... Any suggestions???

Fyi, I do plan on the wide and mid range end to go with the voigtlander which requires the FujiXF-M adapter.
    For tele range I am looking into the new XF 55-200, gotta have the auto features at that range and the stabilization is a real plus.
  • AlbertAlbert
    I've got two cheap no-name adapters from Amazon 'partners'. I couldn't really justify to myself spending big money on an adapter. Unless the adapter is either too deep to get infinity focus or the mounts are not parallel there isn't much that it can do to harm IQ. There are no optical elements -- the whole thing is just a spacer.

My Nikon adapter is spot-on for depth, so I get accurate infinity focus with all my Nikon mount lenses from 28mm to 300mm. It also has a good, positive lens mount so I use one adapter for all my Nikon lenses.

The Pentax one is a tad short, so to get infinity focus I have to set my 55mm prime to midway between the 30' (10m) position and infinity -- I'd estimate at about 60 feet. This also affects the 28-80mm zoom. The Pentax adapter is also ropier mechanically -- I wouldn't like to keep swapping lenses on it.

From what I've heard many people have had similar hit and miss experiences with cheap adapters.
    Albert
    Baldi 29, Kodak 66 Model II, Nikon FM2, Pentax P30n, Canon PowerShot G15, Fuji X-E1 and sundry lenses from 18-300mm

Londoner living in France
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    All the named adapters are fine. I can vouch for the Kipon which I use with my Nikon primes 50, 85, 135 and 180mm. I agree with you about the long lenses. The 180mm f2.8 I use only if I can firmly brace, otherwise the 135 is my go-to long lens and to be honest the 85mm f1.8 is much easier still to use. I'm not sure I need a long lens for other than portraiture though so I'll probably continue to use my Nikons and not buy the Fuji zoom (unless I come into money then I'd use the long zoom on holiday).
    Vic

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter