Fujifilm X100S Announcement & Hands On Video
  • ChristopherChristopher

The FUJIFILM X100S: Fujifilm launches a high-speed successor to the X100 with the world's fastest AF of 0.08 seconds*

Two years ago, Fujifilm launched the renowned X100 with FUJINON 23mm F2 fixed prime lens and superb image quality in a beautifully designed compact camera body. Its unique style and international acclaim has carved out a niche for a new genre of Premium Compact Camera designed in pursuit of optimum operability. Today, FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is proud to announce the launch of the FUJIFILM X100S, the successor to the FUJIFILM X100, inheriting the X100's elegant design and high-performance lens, while evolving further to meet customer's demands with the introduction of a higher-definition Hybrid Viewfinder and a new sensor and processor.

The newly-developed 16.3 million pixels APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II, which increase resolution by approx. 25%** and reduce noise by more than 30%***, have the ability to capture high resolution images comparable to those taken on full-frame sensors. Thanks to the removal of the optical low pass filter and powerful processor, the FUJIFILM X100S will produce a clear image with minimal graininess even at a high ISO setting.

The newly-developed X-Trans CMOS II sensor has built-in Phase Detection pixels for the world's fastest AF in as little as 0.08 seconds*. Additionally, the EXR Processor II offers fast response times with a start-up time of only approx. 0.5 seconds*4, and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds. In addition, a shutter time lag is only 0.01 seconds, so you can capture the precise instant you wish to and enjoy a comfortable shooting experience.

Also new to the FUJIFILM X100S is the world's first*5Digital Split Image” feature, which displays dual images on the left and right to be lined up for manual focusing. This enables accurate focusing especially when working with an open aperture or macro shooting. And a handy Focus Peak Highlight function, which highlights high contrast areas of your subject for smoother and more precise fine tuning of focusing.

Depending on the subject and scene, users can switch between two viewfinder views: optical or electronic. The Optical Viewfinder (OVF) is useful when users want to see their subject in the same bright clarity that they see with the naked eye, or when time lag is an issue. The Electronic viewfinder (EVF) is useful to visually check focus, exposure, white balance and depth of field while users compose the shot.

Main Features

1. FUJIFILM X100S — Sensor performance comparable to full-frame output

The X100S features Fujifilm's newly-developed 16.3 million pixels APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor with a unique, highly randomised, color filter arrangement. The benefit of the new array is the elimination of the need for an optical low-pass filter; these are used in conventional sensors to reduce false color and moiré effects but they also reduce image resolution. The removal of the optical low-pass filter allows the X-Trans CMOS II sensor to maximise the light it receives directly, enabling users to capture much finer detail and optimise resolution levels as being proven by the X-Pro1 and the X-E1.

The camera uses Lens Modulation Optimizer to reduce optical effects such as lens diffraction, which occurs when light passes through a lens. Even when stopped down to F16, the X100S retains sharpness and texture in the smallest details, demonstrating the extent of the sensor and lens combination's capabilities, perfectly.

The excellent sensitivity of the X-Trans CMOS II sensor is coupled with the new EXR Processor II's advanced signal processing capacity which can reduce noise by more than 30%** compared to its predecessor. Even when shooting in low-light, at a high ISO setting, the FUJIFILM X100S will produce crisp images with minimal grain.

2. The World's fastest AF and High-speed Processing

With built-in Phase Detection, the X100S offers the world's fastest AF speed of just 0.08 seconds*. The Intelligent Hybrid AF can switch to Contrast AF, dependent on the demands of subject or scene, to ensure that the camera always auto-focuses quickly and with precision.

The EXR Processor II delivers processing speeds twice that of the previous generation processor*6. The fast responses result in an impressive start-up time of only approx. 0.5 seconds*4, and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds. In addition the X100S delivers a burst shooting rate of up to 6.0 frames per second (max. 31 frames*7) at the full resolution of 16.3 million pixels.

Also, a shutter time lag is only 0.01 seconds, so you can capture the precise instant you wish to and enjoy a comfortable shooting experience.

3. Enhanced manual focus performance with the world's first*5 ‘Digital Split Image’ display

Making use of the in-built phase detection pixels for AF action, the X100S is the world's first*5 camera to offer a “Digital Split Image” feature, which displays dual images on the left and right to be lined up for manual focusing. This enables accurate focusing especially when working with an open aperture or macro shooting.

In addition, the X100S offers a handy Focus Peak Highlight function, which highlights high contrast areas of your subject. It provides the photographer with a guide, even in situations where it is difficult to tell focusing accuracy, allowing users to enjoy manual focusing comfortably however challenging the conditions.

4. Hybrid Viewfinder for easy image composition

Offering users freedom when composing photos and adaptability for a range of shooting conditions, the X100S's Hybrid Viewfinder combines both an Optical and an Electronic Viewfinder.

The electronic viewfinder uses a 100% coverage, extra high resolution, 2,360K-dot High Definition LCD panel. It shows depth-of-field during macro shooting, as well as white balance settings, allowing users to accurately compose their shot while continuously looking through the viewfinder.

The premium quality optical viewfinder offers an easy-to-see magnification of 0.5 at a 23mm focal length and a horizontal apparent field of view of 26 degrees. The all-glass construction uses high-refractive index glass to minimise chromatic aberrations and distortion.

While in the optical viewfinder mode, users can make adjustments to shutter speed, aperture, ISO and other settings without having to take their eye off the viewfinder. The shooting frame (Bright Frame) and text brightness automatically adjust according to the ambient light available to ensure that the information on the display is easy to see at all times.

The system features an OVF POWER SAVE MODE, which activates the power-saving function in the optical viewfinder mode to double the maximum number of images per full charge from 330*8 in normal operation.

With FUJINON's proprietary coating, the viewfinder cleverly resists fingerprints and can easily be wiped clean, so that users can enjoy the optical viewfinder's clear display without compromise.

5. FUJINON 23mm F2 lens offering premium image quality in a compact body

Specifically designed for this model, the FUJINON 23mm F2 Single Focal Length Lens has a fixed angle of incidence of light into the lens which facilitates optimum optical design. Taking full advantage of this, the X100S demonstrates advanced levels of image clarity, not only in the center of the image, but also through to the edges of the photo.

The versatile focal length of 35mm*9 delivers an angle of view ideal for a diverse range of subjects, scenes and whatever captures the photographer's eye.

The lens consists of 8 elements in 6 groups, and includes a high-performance double-sided aspherical element and highly-refractive converging glass elements, which deliver a high level of detailed performance with minimal aberration, excellent sharpness and beautiful color reproduction. Moreover, FUJINON's proprietary HT-EBC coating is applied to effectively control image flares and ghosting.

Other benefits of this lens are the beautiful, soft, round-shaped Bokeh that is produced from the 9 blade lens diaphragm. In addition the lens allows you to get as close as 10cm from your subject in macro mode for stunning close-up shots. And its in-built 3-stop ND filter enables blurring of the background in portraits, or applies a gorgeous creamy look to flowing water even in a bright setting.

6. Elegant design and sophisticated functionality

The front of the X100S proudly bares the letter “S” as confirmation of its extensive evolution from the FUJIFILM X100. Down to the tiniest detail, the premium build and feel of the X100 is continued in the X100S. Fujifilm's top quality Japanese engineering is evident from the high precision components used and the perfectly optimised body.

The X100S's top and base parts are made of magnesium alloy to achieve a lightweight, resilient, yet delicate design. A specially-formulated coating is applied to give its surface a steel look for an added premium feel. All the dials and rings have been milled from solid metal, with attention paid to the finer details such as finger grips and enhanced operability. The exterior is finished with synthetic leather, which is durable and resilient to the environment yet reproduces the texture of real leather, while still offering the practical benefits of additional grip and comfort.

The layout of the dials and rings allows users to operate the aperture ring on the lens with their left hand and the shutter speed dial and exposure compensation dial on the top panel with their right hand, meaning all the settings can be adjusted comfortably without having to take your eye off the viewfinder. And to make you feel even more at home, you can even customise your shutter sound by choosing between the four different sounds available: Lens Shutter, Focal Plane Shutter, Mirror Up and Silent Shutter.

The menu system has been also updated to incorporate a Q “Quick” button which allows you to quickly call up frequently-used menu items such as ISO setting and Film Simulation modes. In addition, the Fn (Function) button allows users to assign functions frequently used while shooting, for convenient use at the touch of the button.

7. Artistic photography

The X100S features Fujifilm's proprietary ‘Film Simulation Modes’. Users can choose from ten simulation options which replicate the results achieved by FUJIFILM color reversal films (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA), professional color negative films (PRO Neg. Std / PRO Neg. Hi), monochrome filters (MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter) and SEPIA.

Also available on the X100S is an Advanced Filter functions; Users can choose from 8 different artistic effects:

Pop Color — Great for boosting contrast and color saturation.
    Toy Camera — Create shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera.
    Miniature — Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
    Dynamic Tone — Create a fantasy effect by dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction.
    Partial Color — Retain one selected original color and change the rest of the photo to black and white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for dramatic effect.
    High Key — Enhance brightness and reduce contrast to lighten tonal reproduction.
    Low Key — Create uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasized highlights.
    Soft Focus — Create a look that is evenly soft throughout the whole image.

In addition a Multiple Exposure function enables users to combine two separate images together for special creative effects. And for greater artistic freedom, the aspect ratio can be selected from 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square) to accommodate a wide range of photographic styles.

8. Full HD Movie Shooting

The X100S's Full HD Movie (1920 × 1080) can shoot at 60fps for very smooth movie capture. Shooting at the high bit-rate of 36Mbps results in reduced noise and enhanced image quality that reveals every detail from individual leaves in the trees to subtle changes in facial expression.

During movie recording, users have access to many of the additional modes available in still image capture; Film Simulation modes can be used, White Balance settings can be adjusted, you can even make the most of the fast lens to produce beautiful bokeh and also operate the Intelligent Hybrid AF for high-speed and high-precision focusing.

9. FUJIFILM X100S Key features list:

• 16.3 million pixels APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
    • EXR Processor II
    • Hybrid Viewfinder (OVF / EVF)
    • FUJINON 23mm F2 lens
    • Intelligent Hybrid AF (with the world's fastest AF speed of 0.08 sec.*)
    • Start-up time of 0.5 sec.*4
    • Shutter time lag of 0.01 sec.
    • Shooting interval of 0.5 sec.
    • High-contrast and wide viewing-angle 2.8-inch Premium Clear LCD (460K dots)
    • Super Intelligent Flash
    • Burst shooting rate of up to 6.0 frames per second at full resolution (max. 31 frames*7)
    • Focus Peak Highlight function
    • Digital Split Image display
    • Artistic filters
    • Full HD movie recording (60fps / 30fps)

10. Premium Accessories available for the FUJIFILM X100S

• Wide conversion lens WCL-X100 — designed specifically for X100 and X100S, shortens the lens' focal length from 35mm*9 to 28mm*9. It offers a broader field of view while maintaining the powerful performance equivalent to that of the main body's lens.
    • Leather case LC-X100S — Users can remove / insert a memory card and battery without having to take this case off. This is a practical ‘Quick Shot’ case, made of premium genuine leather.
    • Shoe Mount Flash — Three types of Fujifilm external flash are available, capable of the proprietary high-precision TTL auto flash control: EF-20 and EF-X20 with the guide number 20, and EF-42 with the guide number 42

• * FUJIFILM research as of November 2012. Compared with other digital cameras equipped with an 4/3-inch sensor or larger, based on CIPA standards, and conducted in High Performance mode with AREA-AF.
    • ** Fujifilm research. Compared with X100 and conducted in F16.
    • *** Compared with FUJIFILM X100
    • *4 High Performance mode
    • *5 Fujifilm research as of November 2012
    • *6 Compared with the EXR Processor Pro.
    • *7 Max. number of frames can be shot in JPEG setting
    • *8 Maximum shots from a fully charged NP-95 lithium battery pack, based on the CIPA test standard.
    • *9 35mm format equivalent
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • ChristopherChristopher

MSRP is $1299 USD

The Fuji X100S is currently available for pre-order at the following retailers. Purchasing your camera through one of the links below helps support our community!

X100S Pre-Order

Fuji X100S Pre-order

Hands on videos from around the web are posted below:

Online Previews:

DPReview.com X100S Preview goes through all the new details of the X100S and compares it to the X100. They note the following performance improvements:
    • Improved AF speed: 0.07 sec in good light (10EV), compared to 0.22 sec for X100
    • Quicker startup (0.9 sec vs 2 sec)
    • Faster continuous shooting (6 fps vs 5 fps)
    • Substantially larger buffer, 31 frames vs 10 frames (JPEG Large/Fine)
    • Improved shot-to-shot time in single shot drive mode (0.5 sec vs 0.9 sec)
    • Can immediately switch to playback mode after shooting (no need to wait for file to write to card)
    • Buttons that were unresponsive immediately after shooting are now fixed

Beyond the obvious changes in sensor, viewfinder, and focusing design, note are the following improvements over the X100 highlighted by DPReview:
    • 14bit RAW output
    • Max ISO in Auto mode increased to 6400
    • Auto ISO moved to shooting menu (from Set-up)
    • Protective coating on viewfinder window, to keep OVF clear of fingerprints
    • Minimum shooting distance using OVF reduced to 50cm (from 80cm on X100)
    • Minimum focus in normal shooting reduced to 21cm (from 40cm)
    • Shutter count function (updates every 100 shots, accessed from menu)
    • Battery chamber redesigned to prevent wrong-way-round insertion
    • 1:1 aspect ratio added (alongside 3:2 and 16:9)
    • Camera retains (as opposed to resets) all settings after firmware update
    • Eye-Fi card support
    • Improved support for SD cards used with Apple computers
    • Live histogram adapts to current settings in manual exposure mode
    • Strap lugs are double-plated for increased durability
  • A definitely worthwhile set of improvements but...

I am just fine with my old X100 so no reason for me to spend the money unless mine breaks.

Also...

XTRANS is fantastic at high ISO and acutance ummmmm for JPEG. Not so good in 3rd party software yet - maybe never? No Aperture 3 - LR has issues w/ some images etc etc. At least it does w/ my Xpro1...

I sure hope ACR gets better w/ xtrans and apple integrates support someday. Until then... maybe the X100 classic is in some minor ways a little better looking at it as a whole.

RB
  • ChristopherChristopher
    The X100S looks absolutely fantastic, the improvements seem to cover nearly everything everyone has asked for. I think I'm going to wait to replace my X100 for now too, at least until X-Trans RAW processing is improved by Adobe. I would have preferred to see the rear directional dial replaced by X-Pro1/X-E1 style buttons, but other than that, I'm glad they kept the exterior design the same. I am very curious to see how people like the new super fast AF with street photography. The new AF speed might be enough to convince me to upgrade early.

I absolutely love my X100, and the X100S looks to retain all of it's original spirit. If its images have that same beautiful soul, this camera will be a huge success.

I am hopeful that the X-Pro1 and X-E1 will receive a firmware update to enable focus peaking, but that may be too tied to the new phase detect AF. I sure with my X100 would be updated to have a Q menu too, but that's not looking good.
  • shangrishangri
    Although I am very happy with my x100, I must say I am very tempted to upgrade. These are rather substantial improvements and I applaud Fujifilm for having listened to the criticisms coming from the users of their cameras.
    As for the RAW support by 3rd party software companies, they might get their act together finally now that all the Fuji X Series cameras use the X-Trans sensor. Hopefully...
  • jacjac
    nice iteration and upgrades indeed. the only thing they missed was Image stabilisation..

..and f1.4..

next version of the X100S2, X200 or whatever they call it I guess..
  • pchangpchang
    the writing seems so cryptic. I'm wondering if there will be full manual controls for Video recording. The X100 churned out some beautiful quality stuff, just not being able to manually control shutter speed and aperture ruined many otherwise wonderful shots
  • mattmabermattmaber
    I was expecting RF style split focusing, interesting.
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • mattmabermattmaber
    isnt IS usually only on zoom lenses?
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • scouserscouser
    I think they should be applauded for making no cosmetic changes at all.

To me that shows a faith not only in the model, but also in the user base.

We all know that second generations often have changes for change sake, just to differentiate. And in a few years it is these models that are forgotten.

This is really is a long term commitment by them.

It shows a lack of cynicism and a good deal of imagination.
  • I like all the improvements they have made... but that 'S' on the front is ugly as sin!
  • mattmabermattmaber
    black tape! =D
  • robk47robk47
    I am hopeful that the X100 owners will not be forgotten and that non-hardware improvements will be forthcoming in a new firmware upgrade, but I have to admit that I am not optimistic that it will happen. They do, I think, owe their loyal X100 owners that at the very least!
  • applesapples
    it's weird. i still love my x100 and tell myself i don't need the s version because i really don't. but i'm still watching all youtube videos and keeping an eye out on all the news just to see how it pans out and because well, you never know... i do like the idea of a much more usable manual focus and the phase detection tech. that and the purported faster overall speed of operation is probably the main incentive for me personally to consider busting my bonus on it when it arrives in a few months. like many others, i'm still not 100% sold on x-trans because i like RAW flexibility. but i could change my tune about that since the JPEG results are so good.

unfortunately i doubt fuji will implement the Q menu and Auto ISO functionalities because it doesn't really make sense for them to devote resources to it (granted they'd make a ton of their existing base happy!). still, they're probably more concerned that they'd be cannibalizing future x100s sales as those are two handy functions that would probably keep many current x100 owners happy (myself included) and keep us from upgrading to the S.

to be fair, the x100 has been around for a while now, so maybe there should be some sort of "statute of limitations" in regards to expecting firmware updates (though i still hold out hope too).

the following is a list of the most minuscule niggles/points of confusion that would in no way prevent me from actually buying the X100S:

The S logo on front: i think it's a touch ugly too, granted easily covered by an x100 aki asahi skin or the aforementioned black tape haha! while talking about logos, i'm also not a big fan of the redesign on the top plate (big x100 with the red S detail on) -- i prefer the small type on the x100, even if it is wordy.

i'm confused about the viewfinder toggle: does it work exactly the same as the x100? the EVF and OVF arrows are going two separate ways in the press release (granted on the camera body itself the arrow only points one way, as it did before). the conflicting arrow directions in the announcement make it seem like you either flick the toggle left or right to switch between OVF and EVF -- seems kind of unnecessary and fiddly since there's only 2 viewfinder configurations and by default you'll be using 1 of the 2 at any point in time? i imagine it is the way it was, but i'm just thrown off. the stubbier redesign looks a bit more solid.

as for drive and AF being switched, not that big a deal to me? realize it might be for some people, but i don't know... also agree would much prefer the directional buttons as opposed to the scrollwheel.
    XE1 w/ 18-55mm; Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f1.9; OM Zuiko 50 f1.4

X100 sold but never forgotten!
  • mattmabermattmaber
    i think the arrows are just marketing flair
  • applesapples
    mattmaber said:

i think the arrows are just marketing flair

yeah looking at it again i think i read too deep into it. don't think the toggle's changed operation-wise at all, thankfully.
    XE1 w/ 18-55mm; Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f1.9; OM Zuiko 50 f1.4

X100 sold but never forgotten!
  • ChristopherChristopher
  • ManveruManveru
    whoa... I wish they would do a trade in, an x100 for an x100s! heheh! and I agree with @JeffPutty, the 's' in front is extremely distasteful!
  • JustinJustin
    I played with the X100s today at CES. The AF and start-up time is BLAZING!

The new MF Options are cool, but as I have said over and over again: Having these exclusive to the EVF is a nice step, but very disappointing. One of the many reasons why I got an X100 and now X-Pro1 is for the OVF. That is how I like to take pictures. I don't like looking at a screen, I deal with that enough in my professional life. With that being said, the EVF in this is one of the best I saw today.
    Filmmaker
    X100S
    Twitter: justingiritlian
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I would be more concerned about the pictures the little box took rather than the writing on it which I would cover with black or silver nail polish.

Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• pominpocketpominpocket
    I am sorely tempted to sell my XE1 and get used to the fixed lens on the X100 s.

This because of the fast focusing and small package as alas even the XE1 with 35mm is getting left at home.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• I am sorely tempted to sell my XE1 and get used to the fixed lens on the X100 s.

This because of the fast focusing and small package as alas even the XE1 with 35mm is getting left at home.

I feel the same way as you.
    I got the X-E1 + 18mm + 35mm just two months ago. I am happy with the image quality but not the focusing speed. I know to get X100s as fixed lens, I will give up on wide angle and telephoto.
    The only reason why I use the X-E1 is because I shoot portrait a lot.
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    I only hope Fuji believe that many XE1/XP1 users might revert to using the X100s instead because they will also realise that fewer sales of Fuji X interchangeable lens cameras means fewer sales of Fuji XF lenses - and lens sales is where their real profit lies.
    Hopefully that belief will encourage them to provide as much of the new improvements as they can by firmware to XE1/XP1 users.
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, Fuji XF 60mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.
  • I presume focus peaking works on LCD only. What about digital split screen (DSS)? Does it work only on LCD?
  • mattmabermattmaber
    afaik both of those are EVF only.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Yes I also like and do take portraits and like the shallow depth of field and blurred back grounds from 1.4.

But a few days ago I could not even find focus on my son's pet gunie pig.

I had it on macro as well.

I had to dig out the X10 that took the shot in a matter of seconds.

Fuji would have had the new system for the 'worlds fastest auto focus' when I purchased the XE1 but of course I did not know.

Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• mattmabermattmaber

APRIL $1299
  • mattmabermattmaber
    BTW, $1299 = £808 then £808 x 1.175 (for VAT) = £949.40
  • jacjac
    VAT is 20%, as in X 1.2. Has been for a while..
  • mattmabermattmaber
    shit, im old lol. so 808 x 1.2 = £969.60
    SO no more silly talk of rip-off britain please, the US price excludes state taxes as they vary by state.
  • Nice really nice! :) I like that Fuji didn't change the appearance and made some great improvements..... I have things like most of them do.... new model change the controls and buttons....
  • ChristopherChristopher
    It really seems incredibly fast. Upgrade temptation!
  • Here you go guys, the fuji stand at ces from Chris Dodkin ... I imagine you have seen it all by now ...?
    http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/1026-fuji-hands-ces-2013.html

fuji x100s
  • Haven't heard anyone talk about the Video mode changes. It looks like it's not shooting native 24FPS any more. That for me would be a deal-breaker. It should be 60/24, not 60/30.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Does that formula work with all UK rip off prices? I would buy on the Grey market before buying in the UK . Vat 20 percent ???
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• mattmabermattmaber
    @pominpocket you might get slammed for import duty, im not sure how it works.
  • jacjac
    @Whingingpom - [ camera value (based on insured value, not declared) + shipping cost + insurance cost ] + duty [ on cameras, not sure maybe 5-10%? ] + VAT 20% + processing/admin cost + credit card surcharge = Total import costs. I love Britain :))
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    This is not about loving Britain or your politics.

Just that buying a camera in Britain is far more expensive than Asia or the USA.

But if the British members of this camera forum do not mind then it is ok then .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• jacjac
    Em, if you live in beloved UK, then you pay VAT and related expenses and retail prices so the camera shops bricks or online can put food on the table. If you have a problem with that maybe you should buy from abroad? (and pay import duties + VAT + surcharges) or maybe even move permanently to Asia or the US. Just say'in.. O:-)
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I moved to Australia cos I did not like the British weather among other things including Vat.

Now I have lived in Cambodia two and half years and am happy I paid $1,250 for an XE-1 with 35mm lens with out putting money in the VAT coffers of Great Britain.

I would go back to the UK for for the scenery but not to buy a camera and I hope that does not sound anti British.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• VAT will come to America soon enough. Regardless. I'll probably wait till September/October to purchase this camera, as it seems (oddly enough) that I do more shooting during the fall-winter season compared to the spring/summer. Something about taking pictures during the Christmas and Autumn seasons.
  • Oh yeah, in regards to the "S" on the front. Nothing but a little black modeling paint can't take care of.
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    Not helping!! But is a good direction to go with a better focusing mechanism now in place. Most people would be happy. So what would the other brands do?
    Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • steve1401steve1401
    mattmaber said:

shit, im old lol. so 808 x 1.2 = £969.60
    SO no more silly talk of rip-off britain please, the US price excludes state taxes as they vary by state.

And in back to rip off Britain, remember $1,299 = £1,299 - or at least it seems to with mosts thing nowadays lol
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I said Britain was rip off and got a load of pissed off Brits denying this.

Yes its really true when it comes to cameras there is dollar pound parity.

But when you cash in your dollars after a trip abroad they give you pennies and whack you with a big bank charge . Then they add Vat. And tax you as well.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• sphexxsphexx
    But Fuji X series has so far had reasonably fair UK prices compared with $ prices once VAT is taken into account.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Fair enough but can you buy a X100 for $650? If not why can a shop in Hong Kong or Singapore sell at this price pay their taxes and still make a profit?
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• mattmabermattmaber
    Because hong kong and singapore have different tax structures.

its also probably made nearby, so far less shipping costs.
  • MSMMSM
    Looks like a nice upgrade. I wonder if the "S" stands for Sticky (aperture blades). Sorry I couldn't resist. :P
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    No but if it was a Fiat It would be fix it again tomorrow.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• ramsoramso
    It looks great . . but I am keeping my X 100 . . . I got it second hand for $650 dollars and after the latest upgrade it is a DSLR giant killer.
    My D700 has not fired a shot for months.
    If there is a big revamp of the X Pro 1 I might think about it, but really why.
    I get full raw support though Aperture 3 so Im a happy camper
    XT1 / X100s - Fuji XF 35mm F1.4
    Fuji XF 14mm / Fuji XF 55-200mm
    Voigtlander 75mm F2.5

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter