Fujifilm X20 Announcement & Hands On Video
  • ChristopherChristopher

The NEW FUJIFILM X20 reconnects style with substance, bringing the essence of photography back to life.

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is proud to announce the launch of the new FUJIFILM X20 premium compact camera. Following in the footsteps of the highly acclaimed X10, the FUJIFILM X20 inherits its high-precision lens and refined design, while featuring substantially improved performance. With an X-Trans CMOS II sensor, EXR Processor II and newly-developed Advanced Optical Viewfinder, the X20 is packed full of Fujifilm's latest technology. The X20 is available in both black and two-tone black and silver.

The X20's bright optical viewfinder features a newly-developed Digital Trans Panel. This displays the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focusing area and other shooting information perfectly clearly, even in low-light conditions. What's more, the X20's Advanced Optical Viewfinder synchs with the zoom lens, so that users can accurately compose shots using the viewfinder even when the focal length is constantly changing.

The newly-developed 12 million pixels 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II, which increase resolution by approx. 20%* and reduce noise by more than 30%**, have the ability to capture high resolution images. Thanks to the removal of the optical low pass filter and powerful processor, the FUJIFILM X20 will produce clear images with minimal graininess even at high ISO settings.

The newly-developed X-Trans CMOS II sensor has built-in Phase Detection pixels for high-speed AF in as little as 0.06 seconds***. Additionally, the EXR Processor II offers fast response with a start-up time of only approx. 0.5 seconds*4, a shutter time lag of approx. 0.01 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds providing advanced flexibility.

Main Features

1. Advanced Optical Viewfinder with real time shooting data for improved usability and a bright view

Despite its compact size, the FUJIFILM X20 sports a bright and clear optical viewfinder with a horizontal apparent field view of 20 degrees and coverage of 85%. It is synched to the zoom lens and comes with an eye sensor for enhanced usability. The X20's viewfinder also has a newly-developed Digital Trans Panel, which is less than 1mm in depth and highly transparent. It presents the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focusing area and other shooting information so that users can continue shooting comfortably without having to take their eye off the action. The Digital Trans Panel automatically switches the color of information in the shooting frame according to the scene and shooting conditions. Normally displayed in black, shooting information is automatically displayed by green LEDs for enhanced visibility in especially dark scenes. And when an error occurs, the displayed information changes to red to aid users shooting decisions.

2. Premium image quality with edge to edge clarity and minimal noise

The X20 features the newly-developed 12 million pixels 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor. The highly random nature of Fujifilm's unique color filter array eliminates the need for an optical low-pass filter, while maintaining high resolution images with edge to edge clarity. Optical low-pass filters have traditionally been used in conventional sensors to reduce false color and moiré effects, however this also means sacrificing image quality.

The camera uses Lens Modulation Optimizer to reduce optical effects such as lens diffraction, which occurs when light passes through a lens. Even at an aperture of F8, the X20 retains sharpness and texture in the fine details, drawing out the full potential of the lens.

The sensor's excellent sensitivity is coupled with the processor's advanced signal processing capacity to reduce noise by more than 30%** compared to its predecessor. Even shooting in low-light (e.g. indoors or at night) at a high ISO setting, the X20 will produce a clear image with minimal graininess.

3. High-speed features and AF in as little as 0.06 seconds***

The newly-developed X-Trans CMOS II sensor has built-in Phase Detection pixels for high-speed AF in as little as 0.06 seconds***. Furthermore, its BSI (Back-Side Illuminated) sensor structure means the Phase Detection pixels can gather sufficient light, whatever the angle of incidence, at a large aperture, to deliver high-precision AF. The Intelligent Hybrid AF automatically switches to Contrast AF when the subject or scene demands it to ensure that the camera always auto-focuses at the highest speed and precision levels possible.

A Focus Peak Highlight feature helps photographers by highlighting high contrast areas of your subject. It provides a guide for focusing in situations where it's difficult to tell whether the subject is correctly focused; allowing users to manually focus while viewing on the LCD monitor.

The EXR Processor II delivers performance twice that of the previous generation*5. The X20 offers fast response times with a start-up time of only approx. 0.5 seconds*4, a shutter time lag of 0.01 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds providing advanced flexibility. The X20 also delivers an impressive burst rate of 12 frames per second (max. 11 frames*6) at the full 12 million pixels resolution.

4. High precision F2.0-2.8 4x manual barrel zoom lens

Incredible attention to detail has been paid when designing this high precision lens. It is made up of 11 glass elements in 9 groups, including 3 aspherical lens elements and 2 ED lens elements. The result is an ultra bright lens with a wide-angle maximum aperture of 2.0 and telephoto maximum aperture of 2.8 FUJINON's proprietary HT-EBC coating is applied to the lens in order to effectively control flare and ghosting from appearing on images.

The optical 4x manual zoom lens allows users to determine precise composition quickly and instinctively, and the use of metal for the lens barrel and its internal structures provides a really smooth zooming action. In Super Macro mode you can get as close as 1cm from your subject, for stunning close-up shots.

The X20's unique image stabilization mechanism shifts 5 lens elements compensating for camera shake by up to 4 stops, it also effectively prevents motion blur while stopping vignetting and loss of image resolution that usually occurs during camera shake compensation.

Additionally, the X20's lens incorporates 7 diaphragm blades which enable you to create a beautiful soft ‘bokeh’ effect to make your subject stand out off the background perfectly.

5. Artistic photography

This exciting new camera features Fujifilm's proprietary Film Simulation modes. Users can choose from ten different modes which simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films. Including color reversal film effects (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA), professional color negative film (PRO Neg.Std / PRO Neg.Hi), monochrome filters (MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter) and SEPIA.

Also available on the X20 are the Advanced Filter functions; users can choose from 8 different artistic effects:

Pop Color — Emphasizes contrast and color saturation.
    Toy Camera — Create shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera.
    Miniature — Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
    Dynamic Tone — Create a fantasy effect by dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction.
    Partial Color — Retain one selected original color and change the rest of the photo to black and white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for dramatic effect.
    High Key — Enhance brightness and reduce contrast to lighten tonal reproduction.
    Low Key — Create uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasized highlights.
    Soft Focus — Create a look that is evenly soft throughout the whole image.

A separate Multiple Exposure function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo, perfect for adding people into photos that they had missed.

6. Full HD Movie Shooting

The X20's Full HD Movie (1920 × 1080) can shoot at 60fps for very smooth movie capture. Shooting at the high bit-rate of 36Mbps results in reduced noise and enhanced image quality that reveals every detail from individual leaves in the trees to subtle changes in facial expression.

Many of the features available when shooting stills are also available while movie recording. You can take advantage of a number of the Film Simulation modes and exploit the brightness of the lens to shoot movies with a dreamy ‘bokeh’ effect. The NEW Movie Scene Recognition feature can automatically recognize six types of scene and optimise the settings for beautiful results, under a variety of shooting conditions. What's more the Intelligent Hybrid AF feature is activated during movie recording and an optional Stereo Microphone can be attached to capture sound perfectly.

7. Elegant design and sophisticated operating system

Manufactured in Japan from strong, yet lightweight, die-cast magnesium alloy, the X20's upper control deck and camera base are superbly designed and add a real sense of style and elegance to the camera. The mode dial and zoom ring have been ergonomically placed and precision-milled from solid aluminium; the exterior is finished with synthetic leather, which is durable and resilient. The two-tone version of the X20 has a specially-formulated silver finish which is applied with a coating that creates the premium feel of thick steel.

Composing and viewing images via the LCD is a pleasure thanks to the X20's high-contrast, 460K-dot, 2.8-inch Premium screen, with a wide viewing-angle and an enhanced GUI menu system. The X20 also features a ‘Q’ button which can call up frequently-used menu items such as ISO settings and a ‘Fn’ (Function) button which allows users to assign features frequently used while shooting.

The camera's aspect ratio can be selected from 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square) to accommodate a wide range of photographic styles. The camera also features an ADVANCED SR AUTO mode, which recognize the face and every scene type from still portraits to landscapes and even detecting motion to automatically optimise the focus, exposure, ISO and other settings.

8. Key Features

• NEW Advanced Optical Viewfinder with a Digital Trans Panel
    • NEW 12 million pixels 2/3-inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor
    • Intelligent Hybrid AF in 0.06 seconds***
    • Improved EXR Processor II
    • High quality fast F2.0-2.8 lens
    • 4x FUJINON manual barrel zoom lens
    • 2.8-inch High Contrast LCD monitor (460K dots)
    • Pop-up Super Intelligent Flash
    • Fast start-up time of 0.5 seconds*4, shutter time lag of 0.01 seconds
    • Super Macro mode (1cm)
    • Motion Panorama360
    • 8 Advanced Filters, including ‘Pop Color’ for boosting saturation and ‘Toy Camera’ for a retro look
    • Q button for frequently used menu items
    • Function (Fn) button
    • Multiple Exposure
    • NEW GUI showing the focal distance, aperture value and shutter speed in sync with the zoom ring or command dial rotation.
    • ADVANCED SR AUTO mode with 64 shooting patterns
    • Full HD movie (60fps)
    • Manual focus during movie recording
    • Output for Stereo Microphone (sold separately)
    • Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
    • Available in all black or two-tone black and silver
    • 4 types of shutter sounds — Lens Shutter, Focal Plane Shutter, Mirror Up and Silent Shutter.
    • Film Simulation mode
    • Electronic level
    • Live histogram

9. Premium Accessory Line-up

• Leather case LC-X20 — made of premium genuine leather.
    • Lens Hood and Protector Filter LHF-X20 — a highly transmissive protection filter, applied with the multi-layer coating technology ‘Super EBC’. It is available in black or silver to match the color of the camera body. The dedicated lens hood features slits to ensure a full angle of view for the viewfinder.
    • Shoe Mount Flash — three types of Fujifilm external flash, capable of the proprietary high-precision TTL auto flash control: EF-20 and EF-X20 with the guide number 20, and EF-42 with the guide number 42
    • External stereo microphone MIC-ST1 — for recording real sound with impact to go with premium-quality images and full-HD movie

• * Fujifilm research. Compared with X10 and conducted in F8.
    • ** Compared with the X10.
    • *** Fujifilm research as of November 2012. Compared with other digital cameras equipped with 2/3-inch sensor or larger, based on CIPA standards, and conducted in High Performance mode at maximum wide-angle position with AREA-AF.
    • *4 Quick start mode
    • *5 Compared with the EXR Processor Pro.
    • *6 Max. number of frames can be shot in JPEG setting
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • ChristopherChristopher

MSRP is $599 USD

The new Fuji X20 is available for pre-order at the following online retailers. Purchasing your camera through one of the links below helps support our community!

X20 Pre-Order

Fuji X20 Silver Pre-order

Fuji X20 Black Pre-order

Hands on videos from around the web:

X20 Focus Peaking

PhotographyBlog.com X20 hands on photos
  • russellrussell
    Have I missed a price somewhere? I assume this replaces the X10 at a similar price point?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Oh yes, it is the same price as the X10 was, $599 USD.
  • SimonHoSimonHo
    thank you christopher for posting all these. i love my x10 much and not sure getting this x20 or not. seems like there are not much differences. the only feature that attracts me is the viewfinder, which's this time with shooting data. what other guys think about this model?
  • jacjac
    the VF with info overlay is quite a decent feature by the looks. but the question is the OVF larger and easier to view through? as my X10's VF is pretty poor..

Focus peaking looks like its only on the back of the LCD and not in the VF.
  • I bought the x10 a month ago.. If i knew about the x20 I waited to compare the two. honostly, the Optical Viewfinder of x20 is better! I feel like I am fooled.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I am also thinking of upgrading despite having just bought the XE1. That is if the X sensor shines over the x10 and I can blow my prints to 8x10 with no loss of detail
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• SimonHoSimonHo
    hi aliselvi please don't fed up. x10 in its own right is a brilliant camera that won't let you down. and i guess you've brought it at a lower price so you might take this as solace !?
  • The more I read the more I know I will get the X20 as soon as possible. I was very near buying an X100 limited edition refurb but suspect the new X20 will suit me more. Some great improvements. With the new sensor and processor will this mean that the L (12MP) format will be usable now? instead of the oddity whereby you get equal if not better results using the M (6MP) setting on the x10 at the moment?

My only dilemma now is all black or the new silver version. My daughter will take over my X10 so it won't be forgotten.
  • monowmonow
    @ aliselvi 2:08AM

I bought an iPhone 5 ... 2013 will be an iPhone 6 (5S whatever)
    I'm feeling folled too ;))
  • Please, people, don't get hung up on the latest consumer racket! Personally, I have an X10 and am very happy with it, I wouldn't dream of ditching it for the few trifling improvements that seem to be on offer in the X20. Just because it's new doesn't mean we have to rush round and buy the thing!
  • DennisDennis
    Will likely stick to my X10 - I have rarely been this emotionaly involved with a camera. However, should I end up loosing the X10 or should it be damaged beyond repair, I would not hesitate to get a X20 as replacement. Well it might end up being the X30 by then (don't want to be fooled)... ;-)

Really nice X10 evolution and with the advanced viewfinder it's really close to perfection.
    Owner and user of a number of cameras...
  • SimonHo, Dennis, Monow. You guys are right. thanks for your comments.
  • aliselvi don't feel like that, i also just bought x10 few month ago. i like my x10 so much.
    x10 will not disappoint you, its a tough camera :)>-
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Yeah I am not ready to ditch my x10 yet. But must say the XE1 feels and handles so sweet too.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• richoffrichoff
    I will buy X100s & X20 if someone will rid me of my Canon 5d mk2 w/85mm f1.2 lens
  • The X20 seems to be a real improvement to the already great X10. But it's a change in system, isn't it? No EXR functionality any more. I'm not sure if I would miss EXR.
  • richoff said:

I will buy X100s & X20 if someone will rid me of my Canon 5d mk2 w/85mm f1.2 lens

I give you a couple of hundred quid for them.
  • BarrySBarryS
    Any word on X20 availability date? I love my X10, but am still within BestBuy's extended return period. Also, should I presume that all of my accessories (thumb rest, leather case, and 40 mm filter) will still fit?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    All accessories should fit perfectly, none of the exterior dimensions have changed. The X20 is expected to ship in March or April I believe.
  • BarrySBarryS
    Thanks and oh! 2 to 3 months without a camera. Yikes.
  • All my excitement has been quashed by what they will cost in the uk. Which bears no resemblance to the exchange rate. Ridiculous. May just go back to canon who don't over inflate their prices, not this bad anyway. Shame.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I can't believe how they up the price of the cameras in the UK . How they can not do an honest currency conversion plus maybe 10 percent for tax and import.

They did this before the internet and forums and internet shopping but now we can all see as as clear as a full frame finder that they are stealing in broad daylight.

How can $1,200 = 1,200 UK pounds ?

Is it because despite having the busiest airport in the World the UK is in fact an Island?
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• jacjac

I can't believe how they up the price of the cameras in the UK . How they can not do an honest currency conversion plus maybe 10 percent for tax and import.

They did this before the internet and forums and internet shopping but now we can all see as as clear as a full frame finder that they are stealing in broad daylight.

How can $1,200 = 1,200 UK pounds ?

Is it because despite having the busiest airport in the World the UK is in fact an Island?

HRH wants her cut LOL and so does HRMC. VAT 20%, Duty maybe 5-10%, but yeah even with all this does seem a tad high
  • It is very expensive to have a royal family.
    Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

And a freezer full of Fuji Neopan Acros and 400H film.

Clearly someone who hates Fujifilm and their products.

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 8 gigs RAM
  • jacjac
    LOL :P
  • It is very expensive to have a royal family.

They bring more into the country than they cost for their upkeep. They are about the only thing decent left in the UK.
  • Interesting that Fuji have dropped one of the main attractions of the X10, its excellent, but quirky, EXR sensor. If the dynamic range of the new sensor at 12 megapixels can equal the DR of the EXR at six megapixels, then the X20 should be a superb little camera, with faster focussing, information in the OVF (especially getting the focus right), and what promises to be a very competent low light performance. I have an x10, it's great, but the EXR system does have trade-off for its benefits, with a lower pixel count and some continuing confusion in working out how to get the best out of it. I am disappointed though that the X20 still won't have an inbuilt ND filter, that would have been the icing on the cake. I would have also liked Fuji to have produced a filter set for the camera, not everyone would wish to use the somewhat clumsy arrangement of the X10. I doubt I'll upgrade though, but I'm really looking forward to the reviews.

PS I see from the pdf of the brochure, that a new accessory hood and filter are available, that looks rather better than the older version. Hmm...
  • mattmabermattmaber
    I guess theyre movng towards a unified sensor technology and also maybe the confusions you mention for customers about the EXR was just a trade off in their and consumers eyes that wasnt worth having. Mpixel war and all.
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    mattmaber said:

I guess theyre movng towards a unified sensor technology and also maybe the confusions you mention for customers about the EXR was just a trade off in their and consumers eyes that wasnt worth having. Mpixel war and all.

It was confusion over EXR and what it did and the fact that by using it the camera became 6MP (just like my first ever digital years ago) which stopped me buying the X10. It all sounds hit and miss to me (and many others) so the move to the new sensor technology may well increase the sales of X20 over X10.
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, Fuji XF 60mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.
  • nickcourynickcoury
    Pretty excited to get my X20 in the next day or two. Taking it with me to a concert on Friday night then a road trip on Saturday! I love my X10 so I'm sure I'll be pleased with this too.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter