How To Ignore A User On This Forum
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Our forum is a wonderfully diverse community of photographers from all over the world. We're passionate about our craft just as we're passionate about our cameras and gear. This great combination allows for all sorts of interesting and wonderful discussions, but sometimes these discussions get heated, and devolve into bickering. Sometimes it's even hard to stay out of the crossfire, you might be tempted to jump into the brawl. I get it, we're only human after all!

Perhaps you would rather just ignore certain users, and never see their posts at all? That's a fine idea, let me show you how to do that!

Go to your profile page, and in the left hand column you will now see a 'Edit Ignored Users List' link. Click on that link and a text box will appear. You can place the usernames there, separated by a single space, for any users you wish to ignore.

Keep in mind that while you will no longer see these users' posts, they will still see your posts.
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • biscuitbiscuit
    thanks for that, didn't know it was an option; you may see a spike.
  • karlbownkarlbown
    Hurray!
    X-E1, 16-50, 50-230, X100S. Canon EOS-1ds Mk II, 28, 50. Also Pana G5, BMPCC
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlbown/
  • karlbownkarlbown
    Do you think Christopher, that enough people ignore certain individuals, that perhaps those individuals are doing more harm than good to this community?
  • mattmabermattmaber
    hurrah!
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • steve1401steve1401
    Please note Christopher's final note: not seeing users' posts isn't always in your own interest!
  • WestmillWestmill
    I do not hesitate in sticking Trolls and idiots on my ignore list. I do not bother with one offs. When or if I see the same person acting up or just being silly or trolling more than three times, especially on various subjects then you know you are waisting your time with such idiots. Its fine to have different views and opinions as we all do, but I think the trolls are normally pretty obvious. What I always try and do is not forget you are talking to genuine people. I think there are those that forget and just see words on a page.
    I think this site is a cut above a lot Ive been on. I do not have anyone on my ignore list on here yet. I have a few on the Pentax forums lol. I find most on here very polite :)
  • AlbertAlbert
    Thanks Christopher.

I suppose there is no way to stop seeing a thread in the list, the way you can a stickie? Some of them are of no interest to me but seem to drag on forever.
    Albert
    Baldi 29, Kodak 66 Model II, Nikon FM2, Pentax P30n, Canon PowerShot G15, Fuji X-E1 and sundry lenses from 18-300mm

Londoner living in France
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Not at this time @Albert.

I'm hoping to migrate our site over to more traditional forum software sometime in the coming months. That will give us a lot more options and customizations. I think we're starting to outgrow the simplicity of our current software.
  • francofranco
    Thanks @Christopher.
    It was only the one - and I suspect I'm not on my own here.
    X Pro 1 + Fujinon 35/27/18/60/55-200 OIS ( +EF20)
    Samyang's 8mm
    Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.4 / 100mm 2.8/ 300mm 4.5
    Tamron 90mm F2.5 macro (with 1:1 adapter)
    Manfrotto 360 LED midi.

Fujifilm X10. (old sensor)

• Not at this time @Albert.

I'm hoping to migrate our site over to more traditional forum software sometime in the coming months. That will give us a lot more options and customizations. I think we're starting to outgrow the simplicity of our current software.

Ack! I love the software this forum is running on. It is so unique compared to the others. Blazing fast too.

Such is progress though....I'm still on OS X 10.6.8, since I dont care for how that software has evolved.
    Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

And a freezer full of Fuji Neopan Acros and 400H film.

Clearly someone who hates Fujifilm and their products.

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz, 8 gigs RAM
  • sweezesweeze
    Please stick with Vanilla forums.
  • WestmillWestmill
    It would be nice if we could put pics on our profiles though :)
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I'm hoping to wait for the next release of Vanilla before deciding. It has a lot of new features that would help improve the site. Unfortunately it seems like the release is quite a ways off.

I like our community format now, but the more cameras we add to the forum, the less organized it may become. Moving to a more traditional forum layout will give us a lot more flexibility for future growth of the community.

It's not set in stone, I'm still exploring our options, but rest assured whatever software we use in the future, it will be equally user friendly.
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    what if we do vanilla forums for each model but the launching page can be the links to the model forums instead? that way we can keep this forum format and yet can have easy access to the cameras we own or have interest in.

Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • what if we do vanilla forums for each model but the launching page can be the links to the model forums instead? that way we can keep this forum format and yet can have easy access to the cameras we own or have interest in.

Very interesting idea. I'm all for anything that can keep the Vanilla forum intact.

Fujifilm Gear: F10, F20, F70EXR, XF1, X10, X100 (w/ Fujinon WCL-X100), S5 Pro, (w/Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.2 lenses), Fujifilm GA645

• karlbownkarlbown
    I don't necessarily think every camera needs its own section. X-Pro1 and X-E1 owners share a lot of issues and could easily be merged. The X20 is going to appeal to X10 owners etc. That would help stop too much section growth
  • AlbertAlbert
    Personally I just use the 'All discussions' view. Although there might be some technical matters to do with (e.g.) the X10 that don't interest me I like seeing the work that users of other cameras show.

I think you could merge the X-E1, X-Pro1 and XF lenses forums. Similarly i don't see a benefit in separating the X100 and the X100s, or the X10m and the X20. In each case the commonalities outweigh the differences in my opinion.

For me this is one of the easiest forums I have ever frequented. Open a thread and you go to the first unread automatically. Thread listings update in real time without needing to be refreshed. If we had to give all this up just to allow for more sub-forums or to hide unwanted threads (my own pet request) I'd be disappointed.

After this forum going to DPReview or Photo.net is a real pain in the bum.
    Albert
    Baldi 29, Kodak 66 Model II, Nikon FM2, Pentax P30n, Canon PowerShot G15, Fuji X-E1 and sundry lenses from 18-300mm

• mattmabermattmaber
    I do like this forum design. its clean, clear and uncluttered
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • steve1401steve1401
    This is the age old conundrum(s)...

1) pleasing all of the people all of the time
    2) functionality vs look & feel.

Personally, I like the Vanilla software. The lack of extra functionality is kind of what gives it its appeal. The colour and skin of it are clean, neat and pleasing to the eye. Simple is good.

However, I understand that it might be a nightmare to maintain, and as more and more users join, greater the administration strain.

Here's the thing from my experience with all things web related: people do not like change, but if done well and considerately, and the change can be proven to work for the best, people will stick with you and grow to appreciate the change.

Also, alternative CMS/Forum software packages do not have to be cumbersome. Often the vanilla (adjective not noun; as in straight out of the box) software is pretty neat and not over-cumbersome. It is how they are administered which ruins them. For example:

Some packages will allow you to alter the default design extensively, so, just because it's possible, the admin does just that and it's not always to everyones liking. A sound bit of advice here is to keep simple, uncluttered colour schemes (i.e. this forum) and stick with it. Breed familiarity.

Have some set, generic top level forum groups and do not start breaking them up into loads and loads of sub-groups, otherwise this will start to confuse users - as soon as a user has to think and make decisions about where best to post something, it will put them off. It will also reduce the amount of replies, which is why people post in the first place. One of the big advantages (IMO) of this forum is that while you can categorise a post, the default page shows the last post/update from all groups, encouraging people to join in and discuss in categories that they might otherwise not!!

@christopher - have you got any alternative software in mind?
  • Great to see so much support for Vanilla! Keep it coming folks!

• karlbownkarlbown
    I agree that the look and feel of the current forum are fine. I can't say I miss any of the advanced features that some other forums have
  • NettlesNettles
    I'm a fan of the layout here too, but when on the iPad especially I wish links through to continued post pages were at the top of the page as well as at the bottom.
    Random Thoughts On Photography
    http://theimageplane.wordpress.com
  • sweezesweeze
    Personally I've found that scaling a forum to address every possible category of your users is very difficult to do without diluting the userbase entirely.

I'd rather see a model similar to stackexchange's where posts and topics are tagged and people can easily sift things that interest them. I don't know that having a forum for every model of camera makes sense when so much of the content people post into those categories is applicable to any camera, not just one specific model from Fuji.
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    No doubt the time will come when a change must be made but for me it was the simplicity of this forum that first drew me in and it is that (and some excellent knowledge readily shared by the members), which keeps me here. Now I know how to ignore someone it will improve the experience further. A shame that the person's pictures will also be ignored because I enjoy them.
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 35mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.

http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/228/username/veejaycee
  • ChristopherChristopher
    It's great to hear everyone's support of our format! It was a big decision when I started this site, and I thought this alternative approach to forums would help make it more accessible.

I've been running online communities since 2001, as a graphic designer and web developer, the user experience has always been my top priority. One of my other communities is the Nano-Reef.com Aquarium Forum. The platform that I'm considering migrating to is the same as what's behind Nano-Reef.com. The aesthetic would of course be different, but that level of polish and detail would be there.

It's still a ways off, and like I said, not set in stone. I'm working with the developers to create the system necessary to migrate all of this data seamlessly, so we can minimize downtime. All site user accounts would transfer seamlessly as well. At worst, users who login via Twitter will need to have their account email updated, and users who login via Facebook would need to use the password reset feature.

The upcoming version of Vanilla does show some promise, it addresses some issues that concern me with the current platform, and adds a few nice features. My concern is the release timeline, I feel like we're getting closer to the limits of this software's performance.
  • sweezesweeze
    are your concerns about the performance of vanilla related to PHP? we don't need to go all neckbeard but another site I read uses vanilla and once they added a memcached server it perked up dramatically — but that was on pretty old and limited hardware (ppc/osx).
  • I am not sure I understand the comment on us reaching the limit of the software's performance. This site is blazing fast. Compared to a place like DPR, reading here is far quicker and far more enjoyable.

• ChristopherChristopher
    Glad to hear it's snappy for others. I find the site home page to be a tad sluggish, but by no means unusable. I've been working on making some further optimizations, I'll look into memcached @sweeze.
  • AlbertAlbert
    @Christopher

Does it make any difference if you log in as an admin or as an ordinary user? I don't find the home page any more sluggish than any other site I frequent, and quicker than many.
    Albert

• mattmabermattmaber
    seems fine to me. speedy enough.
  • Thank you!
    Fuji X10 • Nikon D200
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Excellent!
  • Not at this time @Albert.

Ack! I love the software this forum is running on. It is so unique compared to the others. Blazing fast too.

Such is progress though....I'm still on OS X 10.6.8, since I dont care for how that software has evolved.

I'm with FinePix on this. I find this the best forum software I've ever been a user of. I don't like web-forums at all. Mostly I detest and despise them, give me usenet any day of the week. If the software here was anything like most I've encountered I'd never have signed up.

I'm still in a few newsgroups that are down to almost no traffic because no one does usenet anymore. I've tried web forum alternatives for most topics but I can't do it, the UI is dire. Please don't do it!
    Justin C, by the sea.
    purestblue.com

X Pro 1, Ricoh GX200, Leica Digilux 2, Canon EOS 100 (Rebel), Mamiya C220, Olympus OM10, Zorki 4K, Kodak Retina
  • brickst3rbrickst3r
    I love the format of this forum, just don't make it with a black or dark background and white or light lettering font. I start to see lines once i stop reading something off of DPR. It could just be me lol.
  • ean10775ean10775
    I'm a user of several other photography/camera forums and as a new member here I have to say that while the layout, design and functionality of this forum is taking some time to get acquainted with, I really like the look and feel of it. I for one would be disappointed if it changed and started to look like all the others.
  • pcgpcg
    The current format is one of the charms of this site. Aside from its refreshing speed, the clean visuals are upbeat and a small pleasure.
    http://www.garnerimages.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phototropolis/
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
    Fuji X100S w/ 28mm Fuji conversion lens

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter