Lens Hood + Ring Adapter; worth getting?
  • Are the lens hood and adapter ring worth getting? I've heard that the lens hood is shallow..
    Also the X10 won't fit the leather case if it has them on, nor the lens cap would fit:S
  • Your mileage may vary, but I'd not leave the house without a hood and UV filter on every camera and/or lens I own. Then again, I do not own, nor would I own, any of the never-ready cases made for cameras.

What I would do in the case of the X10 (or, later, X20) is get the small filter that fits on the lens itself -- there's at least one company that makes and sells them -- and then get one of the cheaper slotted hoods. Fuji's design is silly and its prices are extortionate, in my estimation, for these accessories.
  • weisgrauweisgrau
    I favor a lens hood for my X10 for 2 reasons. First it can block some light even though it is shallow enough to accommodate the 28mm end of the lens. I think flare is more likely when shooting at wide angles. Second, it offers some protection to the lens in the case of impact on the front of the lens. I bought the JJC model LH-JX10 for much less than the Fuji hood. It works the same way and it accommodates a 52mmm filter and you can use a 52mm pinch cap with the hood on. I never keep the camera in a case so no comment on that point.

• I don't care to put a filter on my X10, but I've been trying to get my hands on the LIM's design aluminum hood for a couple weeks (few US distributors). Looks great sans slight vignetting at 28mm.
    LIMS
    Fuji X10 • Nikon D200
  • gryphon1911gryphon1911
    I picked up the after market JCC hood and cap. It lived on my X10 when I still had it. It protected the lens and allotted my existing 52mm polarizer and ND filters to work.
    Fuji X100
    Olympus OMD EM5, 17/1.8,45/1.8,40-150/4-5.6,12-50/3.5-6.3, 75-300/4.8-6.7

Nikon N90s/D300/D700/Df, 24/2.8D, 50/1.8D, 80-200/2.8D, 300/4, 28-85/3.5-4.5 Tamron 90/2.8 Macro, 70-300/4-5.6VC Rokinon 8/3.5 Fisheye

Mamiya C33 w/ 80/2.8, Kodak Signet 35, Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A 520, Graflex Speed Graphic, Voigtlander Brilliant
    Website | Google + | Facebook | Twitter | Visual Ohio Blog | Best Light Photo Blog | Visual Ohio Blog | Tumblr
  • Get a generic adaptor on eBay for $7 and a collapsable rubber hood.
    Fuji X100
    Fuji X10
    Nikon D700
    Sony NEX 5
    Canon S95
  • Are the lens hood and adapter ring worth getting? I've heard that the lens hood is shallow..
    Also the X10 won't fit the leather case if it has them on, nor the lens cap would fit:S

Not much to add ... the price is indeed extortionate - retail in Canada is $70, just outrageous. And for that amount of money, Fuji should at least have included a lens cap that would fit over the hood, along with a 'Get Well' card.

But I'm certain that it provides the maximum amount of hoodingness without cutting off the corners of the image when at the widest angle, and the 52mm adapter is darn useful if you have 52mm filters such as many 35mm SLR lenses used; if you own 55mm filters, you just need a step up ring from 52 - 55mm.

I don't use camera cases, nor do I install filters on my lenses except when I'm wanting a particular effect, such as a polarizer - lens glass is a lot harder to damage than you might expect, and with a stiff hood on the camera you're even better protected (which is why I bought it).

But seriously, if anybody from Fuji is reading this, you owe all of us who spent the coin an apology - and a lens cap that fits the hood.
  • K1W1K1W1
    My X10 lens hood is permanently attached to the camera. I got a third party (JIC?) one at a fraction of the cost of Fujis and I doubt whether anybody could tell the difference. For lens protection I use a 52mm spring loaded lens cap that I purchased and had delivered from ebay for $1.66! I wish I had purchased a couple more actually the spring is far stronger than my Nikon ones.
  • K1W1K1W1

and the 52mm adapter is darn useful if you have 52mm filters such as many 35mm SLR lenses used; if you own 55mm filters, you just need a step up ring from 52 - 55mm.

I have found a bit of a problem with using step up rings. The slots in the filter adapter allow reflection to bounce off the back of the filter. You need to just put a little bit of black tape over the slots.
    I use 77mm filters with step up rings and they work okay but do vignette a little in the corners at the lenses widest setting.

• exaktaexakta
    I have one of the $10 Chinese third-party knockoffs, like others because $37 for a lens hood is ridiculous.

I never use the hood, I wanted the step-up ring because I have 52mm filters from my film days. The slots are an annoyance, I've already taken shots where there was flare form light reflecting off the rear of the filter. I really wish Fuji had just made a standard 40.5mm thread on this lens so I could fit filters properly.

I have the Fuji case (the hood will not fit, of course) but I always remove the top half once I start shooting so I'm thinking about a belt pouch instead.
  • I have an image taken through the X10 OVF showing the amount of obstruction present when using the original Fujifilm lens-hood, might be of interest to those contemplating a purchase, It is part of a very short X10 review on my blog which can be found here
  • weisgrauweisgrau
    MikeJB's photo on his blog is an accurate rendition of the OVF view with the lens hood on. I use the lens hood and i am not bothered by the obstruction. Probably because in the 1960s and 1970s I shot with Leica and obstruction in the VF was a given. One just learned to work around it. Because lens flare was a concern in those days before the superior coated lenses of today the hood was a real benefit. Also we shot with a lot of room around the subject because we cropped. I use the X10 lens hood all the time. I apply my Leica experience to the use.

• DennisDennis
    The hood is of course only "annoying" at the wide end, zooming a bit makes it disappear. Going off-topic (sorry about misusing the thread): @MikeJB, spent a bit of time on your blog - nice insight into your Linux based workflow. Maybe this belongs in a different thread (Free photography software - what do you use?)...
    Owner and user of a number of cameras...
  • weisgrau said:

MikeJB's photo on his blog is an accurate rendition of the OVF view with the lens hood on. I use the lens hood and i am not bothered by the obstruction. Probably because in the 1960s and 1970s I shot with Leica and obstruction in the VF was a given. One just learned to work around it. Because lens flare was a concern in those days before the superior coated lenses of today the hood was a real benefit. Also we shot with a lot of room around the subject because we cropped. I use the X10 lens hood all the time. I apply my Leica experience to the use.

Even now, if bright light is such that it can strike the front element, terrible loss of contrast can occur. I cannot imagine going without a hood.
  • Having read (hopefully) all the info here about the lens hood, I still wonder WHAT ARE THOSE SLOTS MEANT FOR??? I own one (not from Fuji, but almost identical) and I just don't understand why they put those slots in it which allow ligt and dust to enter the space between lens and filter (if attached). Can anybody tell me a reason for these slots? Necessary for ventilation of the zoom mechanism? Whatever?
  • Lessen the obstruction and make the lens hood look "cool", I am almost certain I have seen an image somewhere on the net that shows a Leica with a similar construction, therefore add copying to the list, but the hood does work so no major problems really, but I am surprised that Fujifilm hadn't come up with a better solution.
  • K1W1K1W1
    Yes purely visual to minimise as much as practical the obstruction in the OVF.
    If you don't use the OVF a couple of bits of black tape will resolve the issue and make your camera look way cooler because it will have a grunge pro mod on the go look. :D
  • I decided to fill the slots with mat black plastic which I'm going to cut out of an old PC-keyboard case. (A 3D printer would be perfect! ;-) ) There's not much surface to stick tape over the slots from inside. A little handicraft to do, but also fun. I'll show it here (in case I succeed!).
  • onthewall said:

Having read (hopefully) all the info here about the lens hood, I still wonder WHAT ARE THOSE SLOTS MEANT FOR??? I own one (not from Fuji, but almost identical) and I just don't understand why they put those slots in it which allow ligt and dust to enter the space between lens and filter (if attached). Can anybody tell me a reason for these slots? Necessary for ventilation of the zoom mechanism? Whatever?

Leitz had the slotted hoods for normal and wideangle lenses -- well, 50mm and 35mm lenses -- because in fact you could see through them fairly well. Leitz also knew that a filter should go right in front of the lens and not hang out there in space; certainly never would have put a filter in front of the slots, because it was and is a bad idea for several reasons. (Then again, I know of no working pro who used lens caps except when lenses were in storage; certainly no one ever stuck a lens cap on the front of a lens hood, unless trying to be funny.) The slots on the hood for the X100 make good sense; less so on the X10, because it is a zoom lens, so setting the angle of the hood itself is a little tricky -- you want it so that it will be as thin as possible when seen through the viewfinder.

The Leica hoods were marvels -- they had two sets of strong spring fingers that made it very difficult to knock the hood off, but made it possible to use filters and even stack them, because the fingers fit into a groove on the outside of the lens. They were also reversible for storage. An excellent system. Far superior to the Nikon system of the era and the clip-on hoods they offered. We'd spend half our time chasing hoods that had gotten knocked off -- they clipped into the filter threads and were also reversible. Then came Superglue and happiness -- we'd glue the little buttons that worked the interrupted threads. Then you could screw and unscrew them normally, but they could no longer be easily knocked off.

Had no one made slotted hoods for the Fujis, though, I would have had to make one. (I had a 50mm f1.2 Canon lens on a Canon P body a million years ago, and spent an hour with the Dremel tool cutting slots -- and with that big lens barrel, they really *were* useful!)
  • franoschfranosch
    Have just bought this, and cannot fault it in any way, including speed of delivery: "40mm NiSi DW1 WIDE BAND PRO MC UV Filter Multi Coated for Fujifilm FinePix X10 & X-Pro1 (No extra adapter ring is required)".

£14.29 from Amazon http://amzn.to/15ucKRk Check out the reviews, every one of the 18 reviews is 5-star.
    Fujifilm X-10 | Samsung EX1 (2) | Samsung WB 600 | Samsung WB 650 | Canon Powershot SX220 HS
    Nikon D5000 plus a few lenses | Manfrotto tripod | Hama "Traveller Compact Pro" tripod | £10 canvas shoulder bag, plus also Lowepro Passport Sling | 15" MacBook Pro, non-reflective(!) screen
    http://500px.com/MrTudor
  • franoschfranosch
    depscribe said:

What I would do in the case of the X10 (or, later, X20) is get the small filter that fits on the lens itself -- there's at least one company that makes and sells them -- and then get one of the cheaper slotted hoods. Fuji's design is silly and its prices are extortionate, in my estimation, for these accessories.

All I can say is that I bought this one "40mm NiSi DW1 WIDE BAND PRO MC UV Filter Multi Coated for Fujifilm FinePix X10 & X-Pro1 (No extra adapter ring is required)" from Amazon for £14.29. Fits like a glove, speedy delivery, and you can screw the below lens hood, which I also bought for £8.99, onto it. Again, a great fit. Total £23.28. You wouldn't even get the hood from Fuji for that. Oh, and the lens hood is indistinguishable from the Fuji one.

http://amzn.to/ZmnuMo
    http://amzn.to/Z6knJM

Fujifilm X-10 | Samsung EX1 (2) | Samsung WB 600 | Samsung WB 650 | Canon Powershot SX220 HS
    Nikon D5000 plus a few lenses | Manfrotto tripod | Hama "Traveller Compact Pro" tripod | £10 canvas shoulder bag, plus also Lowepro Passport Sling | 15" MacBook Pro, non-reflective(!) screen
    http://500px.com/MrTudor

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter