File size
  • A 20mb raf converts to 70mb tif, where's all that extra data coming from?
  • weisgrauweisgrau
    I am far from an expert but this is how that increase was explained to me in the past.

When you convert a 60mb RAW file to Tiff there are 3 color channels for each pixel. If you use 8 bit conversion you will end up with approximate a 60mb Tiff file (20 x 3). If you use 16 bit per channel you will end up with a 120 mb (20 x 3 x 2) tiff file. You are probably getting 70mb instead of 60mb due other factors, that is data, accompanying or in the image file.

Maybe we have a tech guru here who can confirm what I wrote or correct it.
    Richard Weisgrau
    www.drawnwithligt.com
  • StblankStblank
    It's along the line that @weisgrau explained. I'd like to expand on his answer.

Contrary to the common belief, RAW files do not contain colors. Camera sensor only sees and records intensities of light on its sensor. Imagine a black and white image, so to speak. That's the the 24MB in the case of X-Pro1 RAF file. Colors are interpreted afterwards through software algorithm. The extra data is not extra at all. It's in fact another set of data generated by the said algorithm rendering image into full color. That's 96MB for 16-bit TIFF in the case of X-Pro1's RAF file.
  • weisgrauweisgrau
    @Stblank,
    Thank you. I understand it better now.
    Richard Weisgrau
    www.drawnwithligt.com
  • Thanks for that.
    Time to replace my old donkey of a computer I think!

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter