Very slow write speed
  • anefanef
    I hadn’t been using my camera for a couple of months now, and today I noticed that suddenly it takes ages to write on the card (extreme pro 45mb/s), whereas before it would only take a sec. I formatted the card a few times but that didn’t solve the issue, although for a while it did seem to work but then it slowed down again after a few shots. Also, in the ovf, as soon as I press the shutter the frame moves down a bit. That doesn’t happen in the auto focus mode. I assume it may have to do with the firmware update I did a couple of months ago (v. 1.30), but it doesn’t allow me to reinstall the update.
    Has anyone experienced the same problem?
  • GreyelmGreyelm
    There are a couple of things you could try

Try a different SD card

Make a note of your settings and do a system reset
  • K1W1K1W1
    Do you have long exposure noise reduction turned on?

When you have this on the camera takes a second "black" photo that is equal to the length (in time) of the original photo then uses the "black" photo to map out hot pixels in the original image. What this does is more than double processing time in EVERY image.

Long exposure noise reduction should only be turned on if noise in long exposures is a problem and generally only for exposures over one second in length (camera on tripod obviously). It should not be on by default.
  • anefanef
    @K1W1 Thanks for your reply. I've tried turning the noise reduction off, but again after a few shots the camera hungs. Also, this doesn't explain why the frame in the ovf moves when pressing the shutter release.
    @Greyelm I've already tried the system reset and it didn't do anything. I could try with a different card but again it seems there's something wrong with the camera that a new card won't solve...
  • peter42peter42
    Hello,
    Here the same problem. Pictures in RAW time about 4 minutes and waiting again 4 minutes to see the result. Fuji, what is wrong here?

Regards, Peter
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    anef said:

I hadn’t been using my camera for a couple of months now, and today I noticed that suddenly it takes ages to write on the card (extreme pro 45mb/s), whereas before it would only take a sec. I formatted the card a few times but that didn’t solve the issue, although for a while it did seem to work but then it slowed down again after a few shots. Also, in the ovf, as soon as I press the shutter the frame moves down a bit. That doesn’t happen in the auto focus mode. I assume it may have to do with the firmware update I did a couple of months ago (v. 1.30), but it doesn’t allow me to reinstall the update.
    Has anyone experienced the same problem?

The SD card you use isn't a fast one - class 10 90mbs is considered the best - however - I also notice you haven't used the camera for a couple of months and that you updated the firmware a couple of months ago. Did you use a mac or ipad when you did the last firmware update - rather than a PC?
    Vic
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 35mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.

http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/228/username/veejaycee
  • anefanef
    Indeed, the card isn't the fastest one, but I didn't have any problem at all with it untill yesterday. I did the firmware update on a PC. I am wondering if there is a way to reistall the update, to see if this is causing the problem.
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    Fuji says no, you can't reinstall the old firmware.
    Do you have access to an alternative SD card (borrow one) so you can check the card itself is not the problem?
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 35mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.

http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/228/username/veejaycee
  • K1W1K1W1
    Card write speeds are a red herring and are not relevant to this issue.
    Photographers seem to have a fixation with having the latest and fastest card available but the truth is that for single shot processing the real world difference between a 45mb/s card and a 90mb/s card is virtually indistinguishable in use with the size of files that a X10 produces. Apart from anything else I doubt that the bus speed of a X10 would be able to take advantage of the speed of a 90mb/s card anyway.
    Continuous high speed shooting in RAW with a full frame DSLR is a completely different issue and there the card write speed is relevant.
    Try a different card, don't worry too much about what class or speed rating it has as long as it is not the same card.
    If that does not fix the issue maybe a trip to the Fuji service centre might be in order.
  • K1W1K1W1
    peter42 said:

Hello,
    Here the same problem. Pictures in RAW time about 4 minutes and waiting again 4 minutes to see the result. Fuji, what is wrong here?

Regards, Peter

That is a classic example of the sort of thing that happens when long exposure noise reduction is turned on. Double the exposure time to write the file. Is it turned on in your camera?
    As far as the first 4 minute period is concerned that is a little confusing. Did you take a 4 minute exposure?

• nippanippa
    I've read that 45 m/bs seems to be the optimum speed for the X100 so a faster card might not help.
    You've formatted the card in camera NOT on the PC , didn't use the card on a Mac/Ipad but have you also formatted the internal memory by doing another format with the card removed and the camera not in RAW mode?

I would try another card to eliminate a card error - even Class 2 isn't that bad.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter