X20 or x100?
  • Just a general question really. Which would you go for? The new x20 or the old x100? I know they are different cameras, used differently, with different capabilities but just pondering. I have an X10 which I love, but thinking of getting the X20 when available, but then got wondering about the x100 as they are much the same price. I use the x10 as my take everywhere camera when not using my canon dslr, and shoot anything and everything really. Ay thoughts?
  • gryphon1911gryphon1911
    #1 question - will you miss the zoom?

I too had the X10 and loved it as a take everywhere. The 28-112mm lens is a very versatile "walk around" focal length as you already know.

#2 question - Based on your shooting style, will only having the 23mm fixed lens on an X100 limit you?

Once you've answered those questions for yourself, you'll have your answer.
    Fuji X100
    Olympus OMD EM5, 17/1.8,45/1.8,40-150/4-5.6,12-50/3.5-6.3, 75-300/4.8-6.7

Nikon N90s/D300/D700/Df, 24/2.8D, 50/1.8D, 80-200/2.8D, 300/4, 28-85/3.5-4.5 Tamron 90/2.8 Macro, 70-300/4-5.6VC Rokinon 8/3.5 Fisheye

Mamiya C33 w/ 80/2.8, Kodak Signet 35, Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A 520, Graflex Speed Graphic, Voigtlander Brilliant
    Website | Google + | Facebook | Twitter | Visual Ohio Blog | Best Light Photo Blog | Visual Ohio Blog | Tumblr
  • depscribedepscribe
    The X100 is a more specialized camera than one might suppose. And if the improvements in focus speed and image quality are as claimed in the X20, the gulf in image difference will be narrowed considerably. If I could have just one of them, it would be the X20, because it covers a far wider range of shooting situations.
  • trustkill24trustkill24
    if the battery consumption of x20 is better than that of the x10, then I would start thinking about it.. otherwise definitely x100
    the x20 looks like it could be a nice cam with its improved ovf.. we´ll know in april..
    currently no fuji..
    M9 - Summicron-M 50
    www.flickr.com/photos/trustkill24

• pominpocketpominpocket
    I have no trouble with battery power for my x10. But if I do I slip out another battery from my wallet. They are tiny. Mind you it only cost $15.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• trustkill24trustkill24
    @pominpocket - maybe I had a "bad" example of x10 12 months ago, but for me it was a no-go..
    I got approx. 80-100 images out of the oem battery and even less out of the clone one..
    I shot with lcd showing only my settings.. never use as live view..
    it wasn´t about cost for a battery.. but it annoyed me always seeing the red blinking battery icon all the time..

If this is "not normal" then even I consider getting the x20.. because aside of that I think the x10 is a gorgeous cam..

then replace my 18-55 with the 35. then I am a .. how you say? .. happy camper..

x20
    x100 black
    x-pro1 with 35
    currently no fuji..
    M9 - Summicron-M 50
    www.flickr.com/photos/trustkill24

• pominpocketpominpocket
    I used mine at a wedding with flash (x10) and just carried on not needing to change the battery I was more concerned about filling the card. Maybe you had a dud one. So you like the idea of a 35mm lens ? I love mine. Mind you the x100 black is also tempting .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• rally200rally200
    I get a good 300 shots from a battery on my x10 and I'm a terrible chimper.
  • Not the best battery life in the world on the X10 I know, not likely to be any different on the X20. It's not something hat concerns me really, just carry a spare, realistically how many people go out and shoot their camera all day? I for one don't have time to. So back to the real world. Still can't decide on my original question. I know they are very different cameras, styles of shooting etc, comfortable with both concepts. Have in fact been consciously shooting X10 on 35mm to see if hat will be a problem, and it isn't.

Just get so tempted when I see the IQ of he x100, just wonder how close the X20 will be with the new sensor, and being able to shoot at full res, rather than 6mp on the x10.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Surely you can shoot at full res on the x10 if you do not use EXR mode?

I think because of the smaller sensor on the x20 there is no way it can match the X100.

But if I were you I would get the x100s
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• K1W1K1W1

It's not something hat concerns me really, just carry a spare, realistically how many people go out and shoot their camera all day? I for one don't have time to. So back to the real world.

I agree entirely. Those who insist that they need extra batteries for a days shooting must either use the machine gun approach to photography or be so unorganised that they can't keep batteries charged I suspect.
    On topic.
    I have been holding off on a X-E1 purchase to see what the real world reception for the X100s is. Fuji aren't batting too well in first up home runs at the moment but they do seem to be getting better.
    One of the reasons I purchased the X10 originally was that I wanted a good small camera with a zoom. I did not want to go to a complete new camera system of bodies and lenses to supplement my Nikons (Exit m4/3 system from the list). As I get to use the X10 and get over the silly OVF happier I am with its performance and abilities but I would still love an APS-C sized pocket or portable camera hence the weakness towards the X-E1. The more I read about the X100s though the more I'm thinking that a X10 plus X100s would make a very good combo in a bag instead of replacing the X10 with a X-E1 and what will no doubt become an ever increasing number of additional lenses.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Well I was in the same boat.

Got a Nikon ,but loved the X10 and used it a lot. Craved a smaller camera with better sensor bought XE1 .

When I go out I reach for the XE1 and end up taking the x10. If I take the X-E1 I am not happy with images with the 35mm. Well sometimes I am.

So now leaning to X100s and x10 as a team . If I need wider and closer X10. If I want 35mm better IQ X100s. If I want a system and more bokoh use the nikon .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• I'm tempted now to keep my x10, never had any problems with it, and get an x100 to go along side. Lots about now t a good price, people upgrading etc.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    I think I will keep my X10 its a great little thing.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• X100 brand new from a dealer £549 now. Same as the x20 at the moment. Oh, decisions decisions. Help.
  • pominpocketpominpocket

X10 this morning . If I had used the x100 I would disturbed the man reading. I was drinking coffee behind him and used the zoom and digital zoom and he did not know I took 4 shots. ISO 400 .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter