will there be an X-M1 and if so, what will it be?
  • ci_leeci_lee
    If it were to exist, I'm of the mindset that it would be an entry level ILC. Tho I hope it would have the following:

- same X-Trans II/EXR II setup like the X100s. Would be very surprised if a sensor between the 2/3" and APS-C were developed tho I wouldn't mind a slightly downsized sensor if it used the same mount as the rest of the system and the body were sized like an X10/20...

- body style ala X10/20. I own an XP1 & soon to be X20 (formerly X10) and while I enjoy the retro control, I do like the mode dial layout as well (C1 & C2 are great!!). Just add an extra command dial on the front of the camera (not like the X10/20 rear sub-dial) and control of aperture and shutter is still breeze. One nit pick I have with the hard dials of the XP/XE/X100 is the need to use secondary controls for 1/3 stop increments...

- Add-on EVF with flash pass-thru or built in flash like X100 (to wirelessly control my EF-X20!)

- same build quality as the rest of the X-series..don't dilute the theme of the line with plasticky toys, we're fans BECAUSE of the overall package not just IQ and looks!

- wouldn't mind a tilt-screen...having an X-P/E on a hand strap to use with VF and a secondary body on a shoulder strap with a tilt screen for off-the-hip street shooting = awesome!! I would have the upcoming 56mm on my XP and the 14mm or CZ 12mm on the hip camera. Street shooters dream

- price it @ $699/body or $849/kit ($249 for the EVF??) and that would bring a whole new demographic to the X-Series...and for us loyal existing ILC customers, a 2nd or 3rd Fuji body!!

What would you like to see?
  • veejayceeveejaycee
    What would I like to see?

You - walking down the street looking like a Christmas tree bedecked in several cameras whilst trying for the stealthy approach. How did you come up with this mythical X-M1? :)
    Nikon D700/D300, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 28-300mm, 50-500mm, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 180mm primes. Fuji XPro 1, Fujinon XF lenses - 14mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4, Fuji XF 60mm f1.4, 18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS, 55-200mm f3.5-f4.8 OIS.
  • K1W1K1W1
    The X-M1 has been flagged on rumour sites several times already most recently about 2-3 weeks ago.
    I firmly believe that there will be an entry level X series interchangeable lens camera from Fuji. It's a very logical and sensible step. The ideal would basically be an X-E1 without the EVF and maybe some slightly more auto oriented firmware.
    The already flagged May release of the 55-200 makes this camera a 100% certainty sooner rather than later imo. This will allow Fuji to market a competitively priced "twin lens kit" against the DSLR market and more importantly against the OM-D and Sony Nex cameras. Fuji need this camera to get more casual users into the X series system so they can then upgrade them with additional lenses and higher spec bodies.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Personally I would rather start with the high spec bodies in the first place.

I like the fact Nikon and Cannon users are down sizing to high quality Fuji. I do not think they should sell them selves cheap.
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• ci_leeci_lee
    veejaycee said:

What would I like to see?

You - walking down the street looking like a Christmas tree bedecked in several cameras whilst trying for the stealthy approach. How did you come up with this mythical X-M1? :)

Yes I do look rather like a Christmas tree sometimes...haven't had time in a while but if I'm going out just to shoot (not just going out and bringing a camera with me, just in case), I'll often be carrying the XP w/35mm, the X10 and iphone in a bag, compact tripod, and the EFX20 flash in my pocket...

As for the mythic camera, looks like Nikon tried something like it with that coolpix A but forgot to price it accordingly! If fuji can make an ILC or even fixed-lens zoom around that size with a tilt screen, I'd be pre-ordering my second item ever..X20 being the first preorder I've ever put in.
  • pominpocketpominpocket
    Do you think its worth the upgrade (x10 to x20) I am in the same boat choice wise. They are nice and small and very good to carry every where (with out looking like a Christmas tree.)
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

• ci_leeci_lee
    I did think it was worth it (even without final reviews, etc) for two reasons:

- I really do like using the VF and having the info in there is huge!

- with the recent improved LR RAW support, having a more unified all X-Trans workflow makes life easier for an amateur like me. Granted I was using Filterstorm Pro on my iPad a lot with the jpegs from the X10. Now if adobe could come up with a good iPad app or Apple support the X-Trans (where FSPRO gets its RAW support) I'd be happy as a clam!
  • jacjac
    so what does the 'M' stand for or denote? 'Mediocre'?
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Isnt the X-E1 already really the low end interchangeable camera in the X-series. Fuji will need to keep a slight premium surely to keep the X brand from looking too low class budgety?
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • jacjac
    I'm thinking fuji is releasing too many product lines. Gonna confuse a lot of people. Not necessary
  • mattmabermattmaber
    I think the lines in the X series are OK atm, the 'low end' compact fashion accesory I have no interest in, the X20 replacing the X10, the X100s replacing the X100 & the X-E1 and X-Pro1.
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • jacjac
    So is X-E1 = Entry level, and X-M1 = Mid range?
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Ill belive the X-M1 when i see it, until then im not convinced. Werent the rumours that the M1 would have a Lieca M mount? that seems highly unlikely.
  • NYCGoonerNYCGooner
    If you believe fujirumors there will be an X-A1, X-M1, X-E1, X-Pro1 as the line for interchangeable lens cameras.
    Personally I'd stick to improving what they have. I do worry about them "cheapening" themselves. Though, I suppose grabbing as much of the market as possible can only mean good things for the future?
  • jacjac
    So:

X-A1 = Amateur
    X-M1 = Mid
    X-E1 = Enthusiast
    X-P1 = Pro

• MarcusQuidoMarcusQuido
    jac said:

So:

X-A1 = Amateur
    X-M1 = Mid
    X-E1 = Enthusiast
    X-P1 = Pro

something like that i guess
  • jacjac
    Yet to come..

X-G1 = Gay
    X-K1 = Kids
    X-T1 = Traveller
    X-U1 = Underwater

• ChristopherChristopher
    K1W1 said:

I firmly believe that there will be an entry level X series interchangeable lens camera from Fuji. It's a very logical and sensible step. The ideal would basically be an X-E1 without the EVF and maybe some slightly more auto oriented firmware.
    The already flagged May release of the 55-200 makes this camera a 100% certainty sooner rather than later imo. This will allow Fuji to market a competitively priced "twin lens kit" against the DSLR market and more importantly against the OM-D and Sony Nex cameras. Fuji need this camera to get more casual users into the X series system so they can then upgrade them with additional lenses and higher spec bodies.

Agreed, it is inevitable!

I think the X-M1 is actually the X-A1, and there is no 4th body. In the history of rumored new X Series camera names, the first rumored name is rarely ever the final name.

That being said, if Fuji created an M mount body, they would find a lot of Leica owners considering a switch. The trouble is, this is probably too niche of a market, and Fujifilm addressed it with their M mount adaptor. Best of all, their adaptor will work on all 3 bodies.

The X-A1 makes sense as an entry level camera, the X-E1 without a viewfinder, but instead a pop out rear LCD. Putting a 4th body somewhere in between the two just doesn't make sense.
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • ChristopherChristopher
    jac said:

Yet to come..

X-G1 = Gay
    X-K1 = Kids
    X-T1 = Traveller
    X-U1 = Underwater

Hah! Now the X-U1 would actually be pretty awesome!
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • jacjac
    I think an X-AP2 - All terrain, weather sealed X Pro2 - would rock

• pominpocketpominpocket
    I will be sticking to the cream of the cream and the prime lenses .
    Fuji X100S
    Fuji XE1 35mm 1.4

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter