Selling heavy DSLR + prime lenses - should I get X100 or X-E1, or both?
  • Hello there nice people, who use fuji X cameras!

I've chosen to sell my heavy DSLR gear (FF + Samyang 14, 35, 85 and around 8 M42 manual lenses) and get a lovely, light Fujifilm X100 or X-E1, or both.

(Why? After getting a micro four thirds camera for cycling I never took my gear with me anymore because of the weight and me being just a hobbyist. However I did find I just love manual focus and looking into viewfinder has certain magic for me and my micro four thirds didn't do that for me.)

I went down to the store and picked X100 + X-E1 up and played with them:

X100S: As an old manual lens lover I hated the feel and delay of manual focusing. I figured I'd use auto focus on this thing and think more about framing with this camera - an interesting twist, why not. The one lens and optical viewfinder is an excellent combo and I can see myself using just this camera for a while as a tool of focusing on composition over focusing (autofocus) and not obsessing over gear (one lens).

X-E1: Love the looks of the black stealthy camera. I couldn't try this camera with Voigtlander lenses I want to use with it (35, or 40mm f1.4 + 12 or 15mm f4.5/5.6), but I can see myself having two or three manual lenses for it tops and playing with their buttery focusing as well as getting more versatility.

So..

1. Having no other system camera, would you advise getting X-E1?
    2. Knowing that I have a bit of GAS, would you advise getting X100?
    3. Or, accepting who I am, should I just get the X-E1 and manual lenses?
    4. I might get both in time - X100 for the 35mm equivalient + ovf + silent shutter + zen and X-E1 as a system. But which one should I get first?

PS: Sorry for the long question - been researching both cameras for a week now. It was great to read about people here having both and using more of the X100, but a lot of them have another system camera and some may or may not be hobbyists.. so I though I'd state my situation, since the advice might be different for my case of having Fujis alone.
  • There's a strong rumour that Fuji will announce either a X-E1s or a X-E2 somewhere mid october... I'd wait a little.
  • Thanks Gilles, I am aware of it and if I was getting X-E1 I'd wait for sure.

According to the rumor I'd be more waiting for the price to drop than looking to buy the new version if the rumor is correct, the updates to the camera wouldn't matter much to me unless they speed up the viewfinder or do something I could use with manual lenses - maybe the focus peeking.
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    If you did not like manual focussing performance on the X100s I suspect that you will struggle with the X-E1 and indications at this stage are that the new X-E model will probably only equal rather than better the X100s performance. Maybe wait till the new X-E arrives and have a look at that before you commit.
  • I got the XE1 because of the versatility. I like being able to change lenses.

However for you, it really depends on what you shoot. I know a lot of Street shooters that get along quite well with just an X100 and nothing else.

I've shot the XE1 with a few of my Nikon Primes and found it acceptable. Much prefer using the Fuji lenses, though.
    Fuji X-E1 - Fujinon 18/2, 35/1.4 & 55-200/3.5-4.8 OIS(sold all), FujiFilm X10(sold)
    Olympus OMD EM5, 17/1.8,45/1.8,40-150/4-5.6,12-50/3.5-6.3

Nikon N90s/D50(sold)/D300/D700/Df, 24/2.8D, 50/1.8D, 80-200/2.8D, 300/4, 28-85/3.5-4.5 Tamron 90/2.8 Macro, 70-300/4-5.6VC Rokinon 8/3.5 Fisheye

Mamiya C33 w/ 80/2.8, Kodak Signet 35, Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A 520, Graflex Speed Graphic, Voigtlander Brilliant
    Website | Google + | Facebook | Twitter | Visual Ohio Blog | Best Light Photo Blog | Visual Ohio Blog | Tumblr
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    hakunin said:

Thanks Gilles, I am aware of it and if I was getting X-E1 I'd wait for sure.

According to the rumor I'd be more waiting for the price to drop than looking to buy the new version if the rumor is correct, the updates to the camera wouldn't matter much to me unless they speed up the viewfinder or do something I could use with manual lenses - maybe the focus peeking.

Speed up view finder? Pretty instantaneous.

Focus peaking, already present in the new firmware in X-E1. I am already using manual lenses without focusing peaking as the EVF is pretty good to find the edges. Now is definitely easier.

K1W1_Mk2 said:

If you did not like manual focussing performance on the X100s I suspect that you will struggle with the X-E1 and indications at this stage are that the new X-E model will probably only equal rather than better the X100s performance. Maybe wait till the new X-E arrives and have a look at that before you commit.

X-E1s or E2, main thing is to get the sensor on the X100s on the X-E1. So from that point of view i agree with Kiwi that the performance bump won't be huge unless Fujifilm did something we didn't expect them to.

If you are really into manual focusing, then X-E1 would be sufficient. However AF do help lots in situation so this is something you have to decide.

I definitely will keep the Samyangs for the X-E1

Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • Thank you all for the replies!

K1W1_Mk2 said:

If you did not like manual focussing performance on the X100s I suspect that you will struggle with the X-E1 ...

I didn't like it because of the fake digital manual focusing which translates the ring movement into AF motor changing the focus of the lens, on X-E1 I'd be using proper manual lenses, so there will be no such issue there.

Speed up view finder? Pretty instantaneous.

Maybe I was in suboptimal lighting conditions in the store, panning seemed to be a bit laggy so maybe thats just a feeling I got from the testing, shouldn't be a problem when shooting then.

Focus peaking, already present in the new firmware in X-E1. I am already using manual lenses without focusing peaking as the EVF is pretty good to find the edges. Now is definitely easier.

Thats great to hear!

If you are really into manual focusing, then X-E1 would be sufficient. However AF do help lots in situation so this is something you have to decide.

Yes, thats why I have so many manual lenses and no zooms. Only autofocus lens I have is 50mm 1.8 from canon, which makes the heavy FF much lighter and even though its practical I find that I turn it into manual mode often if I use it.

I definitely will keep the Samyangs for the X-E1

They're awesome, but heavy. I think I'll just do with Voigtlander's 50mm if I need something like the FF equivalent of sammy 85 and the 35mm 1.4 is so big and heavy I wouldn't consider carrying it over the Voigtlaner 35/40 1.4.

• gafergafer
    Both. Ha!
  • I second gafer!
  • Brossa8Brossa8
    I have both and prefer the X100. It's smaller, lighter and has amazing IQ. I like the X-E1 because I can use my Nikon glass on it - with an adapter.
    A word of advice: whichever you choose, test them thoroughly immediately after - or better yet: before - buying. Many Fuji cameras have faults right out of the box. I have the X10, the X100 and the X-E1 and I had to send all three back to Fuji for repairs within weeks after purchasing. Very annoying. X(
    Pieter W.
    Fuji X-E1 (18-55mm)
    Fuji X100
    Fuji X10
    Nikon D90, D70, FM2n, F70
    Canon G5, Ixus 105
  • Thanks guys, as I thought about it the X100 looked more and more appealing. But each time I got certain I'd go for the X100, I found new reasons to go for X-E1 argh!

So I did what everyone should do and got my ass to the camera store to play with them both again. I picked up the X100S and immediately fell in love with it and its optical viewfinder. Tried the manual focus again .. not so bad, definitely not as fast as manual lenses, but very usable for zone focusing or scale focusing. ... blah blah blah, the important part is I felt joy looking through the viewfinder and taking pictures.

When I looked at the back of the screen it looked pretty much the same as a picture taken with my GF1 that I take when I don't want to carry all the gear with me, but the process was much more satisfying and dare I say ... interesting!

Next day I bought the X100S, tested it at home and looked at the files - wow, the back screen doesn't do justice, they look great. Exactly as I wanted - film like noise, 3200 very usable, and still nothing to cry about at 6400.

The more I play with it, the the more I cherish the camera. I mean, there are some stupidities in the way it handles, but .. who cares? Once I set it into a style of shooting I pretty much don't have to touch anything and after looking at the world via the optical viewfinder it surprises me with a digital photo, that looks great!

And the framelines aren't exactly precise either, yay! I find the photo is often a bit wider and guessing where they move when I focus closer/further is just fun. It reminds me of using my minolta hi-matic rangefinder, but with much better OVF and all the hassle of developing and scanning taken out. Much more fun than "what you see is what you get" while looking at the back of my GF1 or a dslr viewfinder.

I'll stick with the X100S for as long as possible and try not to get another camera until I move my "photography" significant distance forward, or Fuji releases a FF equivalent of X100S :D
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    hakunin said:

Next day I bought the X100S, tested it at home and looked at the files - wow, the back screen doesn't do justice, they look great. Exactly as I wanted - film like noise, 3200 very usable, and still nothing to cry about at 6400.

Congratulations.
    Now use the camera for a month or so and get used to it and then you will be REALLY impressed. :D

• Thanks :) any tips on the settings? I played with them a bit and got some contrasty images.. any article / settings to play with to get started?
  • K1W1_Mk2K1W1_Mk2
    Start by having a read of this blog post by David Hobby.

For the naysayers I'm not saying that he is god or even that I agree with everything he writes. I'm simply saying that this article should give a thinking new X100s owner some ideas and information.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter