Is this F16?
  • GipperGipper
    While I am loving the X100, I think I may have the gimpy aperture problem. I am finding shots at F16 overexposed. I also find that if I have AUTO ISO set, I get more realistic images at F2.0 than at F16, where the exposure seems to be over. Anyway, since I only have one X100, I am not sure if F16 is really F16. I have read it described as a "pinhole." Look at my shot and tell me if this is what YOUR F16 looks like. I do get different openings at different F Stops, but if the blades are not functioning properly, how do I know any of them are correct? Let me know how mine looks in comparison. It may be I will have to send it off. Mine is a 13 series serial number.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • GipperGipper
    I forgot to mention I also tried exposures at a fixed ISO 200 and had the same problem. I find, in general, I must set the Exp. Comp dial down about 1 stop to get decent exposures. I have tried all three metering options and full P mode and manual, etc. etc. Seems for the price, I should get ALL the promised F-stops!
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @Gipper, I feel like my F16 aperture is much smaller than what you have pictured. I wouldn't call it a pinhole, but it's quite small. Perhaps we can get a second opinion to be sure?
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • I agree with Christopher - I do not believe that is f/16 - a little big bigger than a pinhole would be normal.
    Fujifilm X100 (just sold): Nikon D7000, Nikon D800 [on order] (Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, 16-35mm FX f/4, 24-120mm FX f/4, 70-200mm f.2.8)
  • GipperGipper
    I have already talked to Fuji repair. They looked at the picture on this site and agreed there was a problem. I will be shipping it back next week and they will replace the whole lens block. They say they have redesigned it. The guy I spoke to in NJ was very helpful and he promised to get it back to me within a few days (I will send it next week). I am glad I checked, as I figure for the price, I should get ALL the F-stops!
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile
    definately not f 16 ... as was said like the largish head of a pin, the hole looks the about diameter of a ball point pen tip

or a fighter jet

;-)
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile
    i want a redesigned lens block too
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • djanrddjanrd
    It might be nice for someone to post a picture of a correct F16 aperture, so others can check their cameras.
  • I believe this is the appearance of correct F16:

DSC_0896
    Fujifilm Finepix X100 / Nikon D7000 / Canon G11
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancysproulcarter/
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • djanrddjanrd
    Thank you for posting this. Mine looks just like yours, so I'll assume that for now, I don't have this issue.
  • PaulVPaulV
    So am I correct to assume that if your camera is behaving itself at f16 (i.e. you don't have to use exposure compensation to get properly exposed images) you are free of this problem?

Thanks!
  • OrwellOrwell
    Hi!

I have exactly the same problem. My F16 is even bigger than Gippers. :-/ I have also noticed that the size varies from time to time: When I set F16 and repeatedly half-depress the shutter and subsequently observe the aperture, it ends up at different sizes every time.

/N
  • gregvdsgregvds
    I was told every camera should be back to Fuji for a lens block change...

I hope future batch will be clean of that problem of bad aperture.
  • aquaCAaquaCA
    gregvds said:

I was told every camera should be back to Fuji for a lens block change...

Gregvds, can you please let us know who told you that? Was it a Fuji rep?

• Thanks to this thread and especially the shots of how the F16 should look like I've discovered that my X100 had suffered with sticky blades too. Luckily it's back from Fuji service, having replaced lens block and so far working well. According to other 'exposure problem' threads it seems that also new lens block series can have the same problem so I'll be checking my blades regularly and post here if it shows again.

P.S.: For those of you to whom it might be relevant - German X100 owners - I've sent my cam to German Fuji Service Center on 27.10.2011 and received it back on 7.11.2011. 10 days it's not bad for service repair but I must admit that I felt incomplete over these days without the 'always with me' camera :D
  • gregvdsgregvds
    A seller I know from a long time in a well known photo shop here in Brussels. I prefer not to give names as the guy told me that quite confidently.

It seems to be confirmed by a comment here that some parts in the body could be responsible for the malfunction of the lens block. So to change de lens block just gives you some thousand more shots of relief, then it will be back again, until the real source of the problem is cured.

It seems also some that had the problem fixed developed again it, twice or thrice even, still as reported by some members here.

If all this turns out to be true, this is very sad, as I really want that camera, for the nearly perfect work it can achieve in high ISO, the look and feel of the camera, the superb lens and even the quirkiness of the handling...
  • gregvdsgregvds
    Fuji HAS to find the fix, and definitely cure the camera from this plague, and I'll order as soon as I can.

I'm still wondering what is the real rate of sold camera that are affected. Of course internet forums are biased. Some dedicated and good person will report their camera is perfectly working, but a lot of users just simply use their camera, in fully working order, or just have increasing overexposed shots, not noticing it soon... Difficult problem to solve here.
  • AndreAndre
    Thanks for posting the 2 examples of F16! I always thought that the way I meter was the reason for the over exposures of my camera. I really stopped using the OVF all together because I couldn't trust the meter. Now I know better.

Is it maybe an idea to make this post sticky?
    If I wouldn't have browsed through this thread, I would still think I am stupid to use the camera correctly.

I mean this is really the fastest way to check if your camera suffers from the known issue or not.
    Maybe this is obvious for more experienced photographers but it wasn't obvious for me....

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter