Fuji X100 & X10 Thumb Grip - HorusBennu TG-1 $45 Thumbs Up Clone
  • ChristopherChristopher
    A very interesting accessory just hit the market from HorusBennu, a Korean camera accessory manufacturer, that I think a lot of people have been waiting for. It is a HorusBennu TG-1 hot shoe thumb grip, an accessory similar in design to the MatchTechnical Thumbs Up grip. The TG-1 appears to be a bit more 'generic' in design and ergonomics, suitable for an array of compact cameras, but it is clearly well suited for the X100 and new X10. Best of all it's only $45 USD, well below the cost of a Thumbs Up. Available on eBay in silver or black.

HorusBennu TG-1 Fuji X100 thumb grip

I've just purchased a black one to try out on my new X10 and review here on the forum. It looks to be very promising, as if they designed it specifically with the X100 in mind. I'm a big fan of my Thumbs Up EP-5S, it truly improves the ergonomics of the X100, but the cost can be difficult to justify. At this price however, the HorusBennu TG-1 seems like a worthwhile purchase. I've really been missing the thumb grip when using my X10 too, so the timing is right!
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • Interesting, and certainly more reasonably priced! In the photos it looks like it sticks out a bit further from the back of the camera than the ThumbsUp, and may be a bit more likely to snag on things? I did splurge on the ThumbsUp, and I justify the expense by the great improvement to the ergonomics, for me anyway (I have ongoing issues with tendonitis, so anything like a ThumbsUp is a godsend for me). But a lower priced alternative on the market is really good to see.
    Fujifilm Finepix X100 / Nikon D7000 / Canon G11
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancysproulcarter/
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • Just bought it, I do agree that it looks like it may stick out a bit more but this may help protect the display should the camera tip over backward. I will let you know my thoughts once it arrives.
  • jackkjackk
    I want one too...will be interesting to see how you guys like it! I wonder if price will drop more just like the lens hood + adapter ring! I paid $50 when the copy version first came out... now it is only $9.98! ebay link
  • GreyelmGreyelm
    I am lucky that my large hands combined with the design of the Zhou half case means that I don't have problems holding the X100 however I can see the usefullness of this type of accessory. My main consern with this particular design is that it looks as if it will put a lot of twisting stress on the hot shoe. Am I over critical?
  • I don't understand the appeal of this. It seems like it'll be in the way of the shutter speed dial all the time, although I guess you could still use your index finder but still.
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile
    i will be looking at this , i tried the orig thumbs up for the x 100 for a few minutes and its awesome , i will not be buying one everatthe retail price , this however is a possability
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • persiyan, I've never understood the thumbs up, either. It also blocks the manual focus lock button. I can't think of conditions I personally could use it in.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I've never found mine to get in the way of anything on my X100, but I suppose we all handle our cameras differently.

The HorusBennu grip does appear to sweep upward and slightly away from the camera, different from the rather compact Thumbs Up EP-5S that fits in my X100 full leather case without needing to be removed. I'll be able to offer a direct comparison once mine arrives from Korea.

That difference should make it fit the Fuji X10 quite well though, I tried fitting the Leica X1 CSEP-2 Thumbs Up grip on the X10 and it bumps into the control dial, despite feeling great to handle, and the EP-5S is too thick to fit in the X10 hot shoe.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Mine shipped out today, hopefully I'll have it within two weeks!
  • mattmabermattmaber
    I saw the black versions ran out pretty quick
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • ChristopherChristopher
    They are selling very fast, but they seem to have replenished their stock already. Shipping from Korea to the US is pretty slow, but much faster to the EU and elsewhere, we should see some early reviews showing up in a week or so!
  • mattmabermattmaber
    yeah I noticed earlier.
    for my replacement X100 Imm be getting black lens hood and I think black thumbs up will go well.
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · Yashica 124G · BIllingham Hadley Small & Large
  • I ordered mine today. I have the Gariz half case that certainly helps with handling but this should make a big difference for me. If I don't get on with it I can easily pass it on as someone here will want mine especially as it will be in the UK. Anyway I'll report my findings.
    X100, X-Pro1 X-E2, X-T1, 14mm, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm lenses plus Extension tube set. X10, Nikon D700 & f/2.8 zooms.
    www.prophotonut.com
    www.lovegrovephotography.com
    www.lovegroveshop.com
    www.passionphotographyexperience.com
  • Have the ThumbsUp from Match Technical and it's amazing. After about 5 seconds of use, you forget it's there. It's just good. Mark2000, I have no idea what you're talking about and I use my x100 in MF mode all of the time. It blocks nothing, but maybe I just hold my camera weird or something. Really cool that now you have two options. I'd love to feel the difference between the two.

Christopher, do you have access to a TU grip so that you can compare them?
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    Looks like I will be ordering one to try. At least the cost is not that prohibitive.
    Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @collierportraits I have a Thumbs Up EP-5S to compare this to on the X100.
  • WilzWorkz7WilzWorkz7
    Hi Chris. Will be good to see side by side comparisons.
    Featured:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/en/wilson_wong_us/

Photo Blog + Projects + Gallery:
    http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com | http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz |

Photo Club Singapore Photography Interest Network:
    http://groups.to/SPIN
  • AndreAndre
    Christopher, you are saving me a lot of cash.
    I got my half case, the lens hood and adapter and now the TU all from your recommendations.

Thank you so much!
  • A favor, please...

If anyone that has one of these also has an M6, could you please give it a try for fit? I frequently use my M6 with a RW or a Motor M and could use the security and control that comes with a thumbrest.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    You're very welcome @Andre! Happy to help :)
  • Just recieved one of these for the Fuji X10.
    some crappy, mobile phone, pix of it on my X10:

HorusBennu TG-1 on Fujifilm X10

HorusBennu TG-1 thumb grip on Fuji X10

Well made, smooth finish with no snags, etc. Butts right up to the mode dial but doesn't actually touch/foul it. First impressions - wow what a difference. I like to carry the X10 with just a wrist strap and without this I never knew quite where to put my thumb - this solves that problem. Also helps when taking photos - enables a more stable hand-hold. I think I like it :)
  • mattmabermattmaber
    @DArmand looks good and just makes me more impatient for a replacement X100 >[
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @DArmand I updated your links to post your photos directly, thank you so much for sharing! It looks like it suits the X10 quite well. I've been missing having a thumb grip on my X10 after getting used to a Thumbs Up on my X100, I can't wait to get my HB TG-1!
  • Hey thanks for fixing my links :)
  • ChristopherChristopher
    @DArmand, how do you like using the thumb grip on your X10 thus far?
  • Hi Chris - I'm liking it a lot. I tend to use Aperture Priority mostly so don't need to change the mode dial very often. If you do you may find the grip does make it harder - really makes it a twiddly two finger job to change the dial as there is not too much space left. It certainly helps with hand holding.
  • What soft reese button is that on your X10 and where can I order one
  • jacjac

and the EP-5S is too thick to fit in the X10 hot shoe.

are you sure Chris? -- i thought the EP-5S was specially designed for the X10 and X100, based on match technicals site..

http://matchtechnical.com/ThumbsUpEP5S.aspx

have you received your TG-1 yet?!
  • ChristopherChristopher
    You are right @jac, it will apparently fit, and I've read others reporting the same. For some reason my EP-5S must have thicker paint, it seemed like a really tight fit into my X10, and I didn't want to force it.

I'm still waiting for my TG-1, I anticipate it will arrive in the next few days.
  • I now have my cheepo Ebay thumb grip on my X100 and it looks naff. It is well made but my camera looks pimped like a Suberu Impreza with stripes. I thought it would but I was hoping the Thumbs up replica would improve the X100 handling. I'm not sure it helps at all. I'm leaving it on for a week or so then I'm taking it off to see what I prefer. I shoot about 600 frames a week on my X100 so 1 week should be a long enough test. If It stays off I will put it on Ebay.
    X100, X-Pro1 X-E2, X-T1, 14mm, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm lenses plus Extension tube set. X10, Nikon D700 & f/2.8 zooms.
    www.prophotonut.com
    www.lovegrovephotography.com
    www.lovegroveshop.com
    www.passionphotographyexperience.com
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I received mine this afternoon. I haven't tried it out on the X100 yet, but it fits the X10 well. It barely bumps into the X10's mode dial if you push it in all the way, I positioned mine just slightly away from it before tightening down the locking screw, problem solved. It's quite functional and does really improve the ergonomics, particularly with a soft release installed. I wish it had a lower profile like the Match Technical Thumbs Up, but for the price it's quite functional. One nice thing is that you can still get a grip on the X10's mode dial with your thumb and index finger, placing your thumb behind and below the TG-1. It sticks out from the camera about as far as the eye piece on the viewfinder, it's no more likely to bump anything than that.

I'll be taking some nice photos of it soon and writing a more thorough review.
  • jacjac

I now have my cheepo Ebay thumb grip on my X100 and it looks naff. It is well made but my camera looks pimped like a Suberu Impreza with stripes. I thought it would but I was hoping the Thumbs up replica would improve the X100 handling. I'm not sure it helps at all. I'm leaving it on for a week or so then I'm taking it off to see what I prefer. I shoot about 600 frames a week on my X100 so 1 week should be a long enough test. If It stays off I will put it on Ebay.

LOL, that was pretty funny :-)) pls let us know how it handles..

I received mine this afternoon. I haven't tried it out on the X100 yet, but it fits the X10 well. It barely bumps into the X10's mode dial if you push it in all the way, I positioned mine just slightly away from it before tightening down the locking screw, problem solved. It's quite functional and does really improve the ergonomics, particularly with a soft release installed. I wish it had a lower profile like the Match Technical Thumbs Up, but for the price it's quite functional. One nice thing is that you can still get a grip on the X10's mode dial with your thumb and index finger, placing your thumb behind and below the TG-1. It sticks out from the camera about as far as the eye piece on the viewfinder, it's no more likely to bump anything than that.

I'll be taking some nice photos of it soon and writing a more thorough review.

comparison photos of your EP55 vs the TG-1 mounted on both your X10 and X100 would be greatly appreciated ^:)^
  • I received my TG-1 today. It is awesome! It does not interfere with the dials on my X100, in fact I feel more secure making adjustments on the fly since the grip is much more secure. I simply make adjustments with my index finger with absolutely no fumbling.
  • I don't understand the need for a Thumb Grip on the x10. I have both the x100 and the x10. The x100 needed something but the x10 is built with a nice rubber thumb grip in the back of the camera to the right of the dial. It's a feature that the x100 didn't have. Seems like Fuji responded to the problem with X100 and responded. I've not heard anyone mention it and didn't even know it was there until I received my own X10 this week. It's superb! I used it at a wedding last night and it got more use than my x100 simply because it focuses much faster... not as fast as my Olympus EP-3 but fast enough to be quite useful all day long. Despite the smaller sensor, the IQ is better than the Olympus EP-3!
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile

I don't understand the need for a Thumb Grip on the x10. I have both the x100 and the x10. The x100 needed something but the x10 is built with a nice rubber thumb grip in the back of the camera to the right of the dial. It's a feature that the x100 didn't have. Seems like Fuji responded to the problem with X100 and responded. I've not heard anyone mention it and didn't even know it was there until I received my own X10 this week. It's superb! I used it at a wedding last night and it got more use than my x100 simply because it focuses much faster... not as fast as my Olympus EP-3 but fast enough to be quite useful all day long. Despite the smaller sensor, the IQ is better than the Olympus EP-3!

yes my ep1 does not reach the iq or iso ability of the x10
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I'm almost done with my review, but in the mean time here's another person's review of the TG-1 on a Fujifilm X10: http://www.fuzzyeyeballs.com/blog/?p=5286
  • Thanks for that Christopher. Still looking forward to hearing what you have to say!
  • Just received the TG-1 yesterday and did tried it out. First, I want to say that I was very impressed at the speed that I received the thumb-grip considering it came from South Korea and the shipping was free. Secondly, I think this is one of the best addtions to have for the X10, so far I am very pleased. I did have to adjust how far it goes into the hot-shoe in order for it not to hit the dial, but i only had to take it out a few millimeters.

HorusBennu Thumb Grip TG-1
  • ChristopherChristopher
  • Stan_CStan_C
    Just got it this morning. Here is the silver Horusbennu on the x100. Feels pretty good, definitely improves the ergonomics of the camera. I like it alot.(taken with a bb bold 9700 =P)

IMG00512-20111125-1715

IMG00509-20111125-1713
  • Stan_CStan_C
    I don't know, but.. the more and more i look at it. The color of the Horusbennu does not really match the body. The Horusbennu TG-1 is slightly lighter. You can't really tell from the pictures above. Anyway, not a big issue. I can live with it.
  • The finish of my black HorusBennu is EXACTLY the finish of the X10. Looks really good!
    www.DigiDaan.nl
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Yeah that silver looks like a good match. Roll on insurance for my missing X100!
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Interestingly enough, an actual 'clone' of Match Technical's CSEP-2 has shown up on eBay for $48: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thumbs-Hand-Finger-Grip-Fujifilm-Fuji-X100-Camera-Swarovski-Crystal-up-/110780379228

Fuji X100 thumb grip with cold shoe

The CESP-2 was originally designed for the Leica X1, but was found to work well with the X100. If you were interested in using this model with the extra cold shoe on top, this eBay one looks like a cheaper alternative. They bizarrely placed a fake crystal in the screw hole that was designed to be used on the Leica X1, I guess they didn't know what it was for. I can confirm that this won't work on the X10, as it interferes with the mode dial.
  • steve1401steve1401
    I bought the black Horusbennu for my X100 as I preferred the black on silver. It works a treat, would be absolutely lost without it. Also, and this is probably just the way I carry the camera, I am not knocking the EV compensation dial on a notch or two anyway near as much as I used to...
  • mattmabermattmaber
    DO any of these allow a flash to still be used? I mean is it even possible to have a thumbs up that allows the flash signal through?

I (before losing my X100) had a fun evening at a friends party using a wireless trigger to fire a flash and its a shame this prevents that.
  • x10novice said:

Just received the TG-1 yesterday and did tried it out. First, I want to say that I was very impressed at the speed that I received the thumb-grip considering it came from South Korea and the shipping was free. Secondly, I think this is one of the best addtions to have for the X10, so far I am very pleased. I did have to adjust how far it goes into the hot-shoe in order for it not to hit the dial, but i only had to take it out a few millimeters.

HorusBennu Thumb Grip TG-1

I have the same set up too and am also impressed with the speed of delivery, sorry that I can't say the same for the bop I ordered from popflash as it looks like it has been lost in the post.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    mattmaber said:

Do any of these allow a flash to still be used? I mean is it even possible to have a thumbs up that allows the flash signal through?

Unfortunately you won't be able to use a flash when using the thumb grip. None of them are able to pass the hotshoe through the grip.
  • mattmabermattmaber
    @christopher i thought as much. shame really.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter