Fuji X10 - Dark brown cases are out!
  • jacjac
    The light tan ones don't look that good for the black X10 IMHO, have been holding out for a black version. But this dark brown one looks dark enough and may look pretty good next to the X10, kind of a vintage dark brown leather look, so the whole outfit doesn't look too 'black'. I just bought one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180775119148#ht_2910wt_941
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Those do look a lot nicer!

Fujifilm X10 leather case
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • artmartm
    I have issues with it:

1. no tripod screw to hold it on? So, it's held on only at the strap lugs? If so, not good.

2. need to take it off to get to battery/card compartment? Not good.

3. I would like the back of it to have a horizontal piece right above the LCD as in a half-case so it can be used like that.

Hey, for this little money it's worth it but I'll wait for something better - and cheap! :)
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I just purchased one from this seller on eBay. It costs a little bit more money, but it ships from the US so I'll receive it before the holidays. I'll be reviewing it here on the blog.

@artm, I use a similarly designed real leather case on my X100, they don't need a tripod screw to keep them secure, they fit snug enough as they are, and the camera strap will prevent it from falling off if it were loose.

I'm happy to have a full case for my X10 so I can carry it in my bag without worrying about it getting beat up. I'll only use the top half for transportation.
  • HFMHFM
    Just ordered the dark brown variant :)
    I've been using the light brown one for a while now and have been pretty impressed by the quality for such a low cost item. It has the annoyances as previously posted, that you have to take it off to open the battery slots etc, but it fits nicely and protects the camera from any bumps. Of course, it's not real leather but it feels quite good and even has the fake leather smell ;) I only use the top half for transportation and not for every day use.

The dark brown one looks to be identical in quality so looking forward to trying it out. I'll post some pictures when i receive it.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Thanks for the preview review @HFM! I'm guessing you were just unimpressed with the light brown color of your case? How do you like the shoulder strap that it comes with?
  • HFMHFM
    Indeed, the color just looks way off compared to the deep black of the X10. I don't use the shoulder straps at all, i have a leather wrist strap attached to the right side of the camera that i prefer :)

Posted a picture of the wrist strap here, if you're interested: http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/13/camera-straps-what-do-you-use#Item_125
  • jacjac
    waiting for mine to arrive, shouldn't be too long now.

the battery/SD compartment access, well that's not a new issue. i bought the knock off one for my X100 when they came out and i have managed all this time. maybe one day i'll splurge on one with a cut out.. but for the X10, with its lower price point i just don't think its worth it to spend on a more expensive case. the X100 is a different story..
  • artmartm
    jac: I was amazed at the prices of Fuji accessories for the X10. What are they thinking charging over $100 for a case for a $600 camera?!

I'm sure they'll get equally greedy if they offer 40mm filters.

Idiots!
  • jacjac
    that's why there is a market for these cheaper knock offs. honestly, they are quite well made, except around the lugs where on my X100 version its torn just a little, but hey its not real leather, but we all know going by the low price! the sewing, workmanship is pretty dam good, you even get the FUJIFILM logo stamp, yes infringing copyright and all, and sometimes free shipping included to boot - what is there to complain? the fuji OEM case is surely not 4-5X better than these cheaper versions, that's for sure.

with the 40mm filter size, people are just getting step-up rings and fitting larger, easier to source filters
  • I just purchased one from this seller on eBay. It costs a little bit more money, but it ships from the US so I'll receive it before the holidays. I'll be reviewing it here on the blog.

@artm, I use a similarly designed real leather case on my X100, they don't need a tripod screw to keep them secure, they fit snug enough as they are, and the camera strap will prevent it from falling off if it were loose.

I'm happy to have a full case for my X10 so I can carry it in my bag without worrying about it getting beat up. I'll only use the top half for transportation.

Thanks for info. I just ordered one tonight and won't get it until after the holidays. I paid a little extra too to ensure it came from a US seller. Nothing against the Chinese, but I didn't want to wait up to three weeks. Let me know what you think after you receive yours.
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I received mine this afternoon and just finished installing the camera strap and case. My initial impressions quite good! It looks great, considerably better than the synthetic leather X100 case I previously reviewed. The synthetic leather has a nice soft feel to it with an authentic looking leather pattern. The stitching also looks very nice, it's on par with some higher end real leather cases I've handled. The camera strap matches as well and has a nice tan velvet interior lining.

The case fits well and the camera lugs have ample room for attaching camera straps with or without the protective pads in place. One interesting thing to note is that the case successfully fits over top of the camera with the HorusBennu thumb grip installed. It's as if there's some extra room inside the top of the case, so it can clear thumb grips and large soft releases.

I'll try to offer a more thorough review in the near future!
  • jacjac
    great to hear Chris! -- still waiting for mine, looking at pics from both ebay sellers the cases look very similar - most likely from the same factory in china..
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Yeah, they're from the exact same factory, I think you'll be pleased. I was pretty happy with my X100's synthetic leather case, and this one is leaps ahead in quality.
  • jacjac
    in what respect(s)? better fit, more snug, better stitching, better materials/workmanship?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    All of those things really. It's not the most snug fit, but it's appropriate.
  • jacjac
    btw, do you have to rip out the bottom padding like the X100 one?
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Nope, not at all, it fits great.
  • jacjac
    great. no surgery for my impending arrival then..
  • jacjac
    ok, mine arrived today, as Chris said - its well made sewing wise, colour and around the lugs. however the sides at the back are not fully covered, almost a slit like opening, doesn't help I have the TG-1 thumb grip which is most likely pushing the back out a little, still i reckon without it the case design still suffers from not a complete cover on the back at the sides
  • ChristopherChristopher
    I feel like the TG-1 sticks out the same amount as the eyepiece on the viewfinder, which is why the case can fit with it still installed. But as you said, there is a slight gap between the back of the top case and the camera, there's certainly potential for the camera to get dusty. I believe Fujifilm's own case fits the same however.
  • jacjac
    Fuji's case designers or whoever they use to design them -- suck.

Naturally, it's most likely the factories doing these knock offs just copy the Fuji Case 1 for 1. :-S

But will say that the dark brown is just great, like a dark chocolate, goes really well with the X10 and the half case alone on itself is so far faultless
  • HFMHFM
    Haha, this is getting ridiculous :D When the first light brown cases came out, i ordered them right away. Then the dark brown came out and i ordered them too! Now i see the black one and want it too. But no..enough is enough :)
  • lfplfp
    @HFM what about send me the ones you don't use... ;)
  • pcgpcg
    Just received my brown Ciesta half-case and am pleased to report that it's extremely well-made. AND fits beautifully. Highly recommended.
    http://www.garnerimages.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phototropolis/
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
    Fuji X100S w/ 28mm Fuji conversion lens
  • lfplfp
    @pcg From where do you yours ?
    Please post the link.

Thanks
  • pcgpcg
    Here's a link to the seller I used. Note that these cases come in a couple colors. I bought the brown because I don't really like the alternate color stitching. Quality though is excellent, and the price good.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ciesta-NEW-Camera-Leather-half-case-Fujifilm-Fuji-X10-camera-Dark-Brown-/170746434005?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item27c147d1d5
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
  • My dark brown case just came in today. I would have preferred a black case, but the dark brown case looks good and I couldn't be happier due to the price. I am waiting for the Gordy wrist strap to come in and all will be complete from a protection perspective. I have an ACMAXX LCD armor guard and the case has no issues with that. See pics below for fit and finish.

Dan - East San Diego County
  • HFMHFM
    Just received my dark brown case as well. No point in posting pictures when they're similar to the pictures that dbarnett66 posted above ;)

I thought it would be identical to the light brown case i have, but it has some differences. The "leather" feels more textured and not s smooth, which gives a better quality impression and feels more like real leather. Also on the top, where it says X10, it feels more fluffy and full, rather than flat as on my previous case.

As for the fit, it's quite similar to the light brown one..fits perfectly although it still has that space on the back where the viewfinder seems to push it away a bit, as some of you guys have reported. Not really a deal-breaker for me, since I'm mostly gonna use it as protection so i can just throw my camera in a bag and probably only gonna use the bottom lower half during shooting.

Anyways, for the price it's really nice and good-looking :)
  • KevMKevM
    Any photos of the above Brown case with the top half removed?
  • HFMHFM
    KevM said:

Any photos of the above Brown case with the top half removed?

So it seems i have to post images anyway :D Here you go..

Front side of case

Front and upper of case

Backside of case
  • lfplfp
    where did you get your marumi filter ? is a 40 or 40,5mm ? it fits ok ?
  • HFMHFM
    lfp said:

where did you get your marumi filter ? is a 40 or 40,5mm ? it fits ok ?

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/comment/7515#Comment_7515 :)
  • lfplfp
  • KevMKevM
    @HFM Thanks a lot for that, that was the deciding factor. I just pulled the trigger on this one so should have it soon!
  • HFMHFM
    @KevM

Glad to be of service :) Hope you will enjoy the case as much as I am
  • ChristopherChristopher
    A new US importer has them priced at $23 with free shipping from within the US, a very nice price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYAH-PU-Leather-Camera-Case-Bag-Pouch-Fujifilm-FUJI-Finepix-LC-X10-DarkBrown-/150733174476

After having used my for a few weeks now, I'm quite pleased with it! The camera strap is also a nice improvement over the one included from Fujifilm.
  • jacjac
    no logo stamped.. if it matters to you that is
  • I receiced mine today (dark brown) and apart from that it looks very beautiful it even fits the X10 with hood installed! I expected having to apply some surgery to the case but it's a perfect fit with the hood. I bought it for less than $20 (with international shipping included) here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150724077566
    www.DigiDaan.nl
  • lfplfp
    I bought one black and other brown, but are only using the black one, I think I will sell the brown one... :-?
  • artmartm
    Geez! Would it have killed them to include a tripod mount? It seems that it may be a bit loose with the strap only holding it on. Is this an issue?

I may just try one of these with the intent to screw on a tripod mount and cut an opening for the battery door.
  • kiwikiwi
    artm said:

Geez! Would it have killed them to include a tripod mount?

I suspect that if you could survey every X10 owner worldwide or even a statistically significant sample you would find that the vast majority would never use a X10 on a tripod during their ownership of the camera.
    In that respect most case manufacturers will be catering for most users when they leave the tripod mount out and for those users who do want to use their cameras on a tripod with the cover on there are other manufacturers who build products with mounts.

• pcgpcg
    kiwi, "vast majority" never use a tripod? Maybe so... I use one with my X at least 4-5 times a week. But then I'm rarely taking casual snaps. Depends I guess on whether you view the Xs as expensive P&S cameras, or as capable image-making machines.
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
  • kiwikiwi
    And therein lies the problem for manufacturers. You and I assume @artm use your tripods regularly but we have other posts from "extreme" street photographers who would by definition probably do not even own a tripod complaining about features that are not relevant to tripod users.
    There are cases with tripod mounts and there are cases without tripod mounts. Surely it's up to the purchaser to buy the case that is relevant to their particular circumstances rather than to complain that a particular model has or does not have a feature that they want.
  • pcgpcg
    There's a prevalent tendency to simply complain immediately whenever anything featured is missing anything imaginable, or has the slightest problem. Even if a given design hits 98 out of a 100 hot buttons, posters will pile on endlessly about the two the manufacturer missed. If 19 out of 20 dealers price a particular camera correctly, posters will go on and on, exhaustively, about the one dealer who priced too high. It's fascinating to watch, if you can view the complaints with even the slightest perspective.
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile
    if there is an entire thread about that one foolish seller , i think you know who i mean , well ,....then yeah

what is really facinating are the posters who endlessly complain about what other posters write, yet cannot resist , ever, posting a reply ,lol
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • artmartm
    To be clear, I don't use a tripod except with my pro video camera. I'd prefer a tripod mount simply to secure the bottom of the case better to the camera.

Again, the design as I see it currently relies on a case strap looped around the camera strap on each side. It SEEMS that this is not a snug fit.

These cases are made in China. Are you telling me it would have broken the bank to add a tripod mount? Please!

Finally, I couldn't care less if someone replies negatively to my post. I'm a bit more tough skinned than that!
  • jacjac
    why don't you email the seller, ask the seller to get in contact with the manufacturer and maybe, just maybe they may make a version with your tripod mount. there's little point in venting here. just ask, and you might get what you want. maybe.
  • artmartm
    Or, I can do the obvious: cut a hole in the bottom and screw on a tripod mount.

I'm not venting; I'm offering a criticism.
  • Hey dbarnett, do you have photos of your case with the Gordy strap available? I am considering this case now. Thanks!

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter