Fuji X10 Bokeh test: Pro Focus Mode
  • Friends, here's two shots of similar composition. One shot at f/2.8, max focal length, with a background of trees and branches. The other, shot from the same position, used the pro focus mode. See what you think...

Bokeh test - profocus mode
    Pro Focus Mode

Bokeh test...
    Regular, f/2.8 shot
  • ChristopherChristopher
    Wow, that's surprising. The 'pro focus mode' is just faked by the camera, you can see the camera's poor attempt to mask around her hair, then blur the background. I suppose this might work for shooting simple objects, but anything with detail, or people, will show the inherent flaws of the process. It works at first glance, but then you realize something is 'off'.

Thanks for sharing this @davidwattsjr! I edited your post to include the images instead of links to them.
    Fuji X Series Administrator · ChrisMarks.com · Space Cadet Photo Blog · Flickr
  • mattmabermattmaber
    Tho Id say the bokeh is less appealing on the regular version
     Mac · Blog · Flickr · g+ · Facebook · Twitter
    Fuji X100 & EF-X20 Flash · Leica M6, Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 & SF20 Flash · Canonet 17 · Fuji X-Pro1, 18mm & 10-24mm · Canonet 28 · Yashica Minister III · Miranda MS-1 · BIllingham Hadley Small
  • pcgpcg
    Matt: Agreed. The Pro version is far more agreeable.
    http://www.garnerimages.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phototropolis/
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
    Fuji X100S w/ 28mm Fuji conversion lens
  • WillHWillH
    Yulp! The Pro Focus version is more attractive to my eye too! No technical eye what-so-ever, I just know what I like..... I sorta think the young lady would agree!
  • jackkjackk
    interesting, i thought the top one were regular and the bottom one were pro-focus at first glance.... then i saw the caption at the bottom of each picture....
  • It is interesting isn't it... glad this was a little bit helpful. The impressive thing about this little camera is that there is so much to learn, so much to experiment with... and yet when you just want to take a picture it makes great pics... it has brought back a lot of the fun to photography for me....

dw
  • It is interesting isn't it... glad this was a little bit helpful. The impressive thing about this little camera is that there is so much to learn, so much to experiment with... and yet when you just want to take a picture it makes great pics... it has brought back a lot of the fun to photography for me....

dw
  • My thoughts mirror your comments. I can still take a bad picture, but it's almost always my fault rather than the X10's limitations. It also provides me with interesting options and, although it may be psychological, I really like being able to flip on the EXR mode in difficult conditions.
  • jacjac
    thanks david, this is a very interesting pair of comparison photos.

the Pro Focus mode works better, smoother OOF - looks more pleasant and allows the subject to stand out without the distracting bokeh in the regular shot.

i didn't notice the blur around the hair until chris mentioned it, now i'm thinking the average person will never pick it up. they will just say "wow, nice portrait, lovely photo"
    -- rather than.. you get the drift
  • pcgpcg
    Agreed. I had to study the shot to see the faint blur. Good eye, Chris, but you're in the very small minority. The algorithm does a pretty decent good.
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
  • ChristopherChristopher
    It is impressive all things considered! I'm undoubtedly a perfectionist, I always notice the most minute of details. Fortunately it's a trait I can amplify in my art shows with my photography!
  • jacjac
    are you OCD as well?

[ just kidding ] :))
  • pcgpcg
    To strive for perfection is admirable. :-)

But as a friend used to say to me, more often than I liked, "Good luck."
    Fuji X10 (2011-2012)
    Fuji X100 (2012-2013)
  • cosinaphilecosinaphile
    the faked bokeh has better quality than the real bokeh , but if you look close you can see the artificial bokeh algorithm attacking some detail in the peroimeter of the subject , especially the hair , i think it works pretty well
    i shoot with the ricoh gxr and m mount module with adapted glass
    i shoot with the samsung ex1 and the ricoh gx 200
    i shoot with the ep1 and gf1 with adapted slr and rf glass
    i shoot with the x100 and the x10
  • HFMHFM
    Indeed, but for me the quality of the bokeh isn't that important since it's main purpose is to emphasize the subject of the portrait. Which it does very well in this example :)
  • ChristopherChristopher
    jac said:

are you OCD as well?

[ just kidding ] :))

Have you seen my Parallels Series? :-\"
  • jacjac
    very cool Chris! ;) really like the composition and colors. what are you using to process/method?

i can imagine these photos in a collection as book..
  • ChristopherChristopher
    They're for a future art show of mine, but the 'out takes' that don't make it as prints would be great to collect into a book. The wider environmental images are the ones I'm going to be showing as large 54"x38" prints.

I've shot most of them with my X100, and the earlier photos with my Canon 60D and 30mm prime.
  • NicWNicW
    You know what, although the 'bokeh' is prettier in the pro focus, her skin is too red. The normal shot makes her skin tones look much lovelier. Easy enough to soften the background further in post processing, than mucking around with skin tones. I have also noticed I have to be really careful with keeping the camera still for long enough for portraits with pro focus, otherwise you get odd areas of sharp/softness around the subject. However pro focus is fab for still life.

Hello Photographers!

Love your Fujifilm X-Pro1, X-E1, X-M1, X-A1, X100S, X100, X20, X10, X-S1, and XF1? We do too!

Join our community of fellow Fuji X Series photographers to learn more about your Fujifilm X Series digital camera, get great tips and give advice, show off your latest photographs, and share your experiences with these awesome cameras.

Photographers of all types and skill levels are welcome, sign in or create an account below to join in the discussions!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter