Jump to content
raagamuffin

RAW processing software

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Valdo said:

Ha, I'm the first candidate.

I cannot find a DS7 manual in pdf. I found a DS7 PRO pdf manual, but the Pro version is quite different.

I assume DS7 refers to Silky Pix Developer Pro 7?

I always use the help which links to a surprisingly good online manual that explains what the controls do. Admittedly the translation to English isn't always great

you can also raise a support ticket through the Silky Pix website and they are quite responsive.

I've never seen or used a PDF manual for SilkyPix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-12-27 at 0:15 PM, LazarouINC said:

 Any picture I take in RAW the information is carried over into DPP.  So all my colours, contrast, sharpening, shadows, highlights and many other adjustments are there when images are transferred over to DPP. That means what I see on screen is what I get in software and leaves me virtually no editing to do. 

 

RAW FILE CONVERTER EX 2.0 powered by SILKYPIX does that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, Dr.S said:

Ha, I'm the first candidate.

I cannot find a DS7 manual in pdf. I found a DS7 PRO pdf manual, but the Pro version is quite different.

I will shortly be having an article published on the "Dear Susan" website where I talk bout SilkyPix, describing how to use some of it's features, and comparing it's output to Capture One.  I will be posting here with a link when it is available, as I hope it may be of interest to some Fuji users, and from experience it was one of the better raw development tools for X-Trans raw files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:35 AM, veejaycee said:

I wish I could use LR without it cataloguing which I don't use. I find it annoying to have to open LR to to find and remove files and folders which I've moved or deleted in other applications. I really can't be bothered to catalogue stuff I've saved for many years before getting LR which I arranged to suit me including files scanned from film.

Vic,

I am so to hear you say that about not appreciating the LR cataloging.  I agree .  I use my own system and when I say to others that I don't like LR, they really give me an argument and rave about how great it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just started to use RawTherapee 5.2 editing software. It was simple to download and setup. I'm just an amateur and recently upgraded from an X10 to a new Fuji X-T1, so for me this editor is very powerful and complete package. 

rawtherapee.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW it's worth, I recently tried ON1 Photo Raw, and really didn't like the user interface -it felt too much as if based on smartphone filter apps, I didn't think the user interface worked particular well on PCs,  put too little within the raw development part and too much with the post-raw editor, and the results were very dramatic like said smartphone apps, but not terribly realistic or particularly good quality.

I also tried Affinity, on PC.  The UI is a little strange, perhaps because of it's Mac origins, and it doesn't work properly with touch screen devices (you have to use the mouse).  It reminds me of Paint Shop Pro or perhaps Photoshop Elements - a fairly basic raw development tool with an editor and HDR package attached,  It is quite slow at some things but offers "real time" adjustments in other areas.  The results are quite good, but I'm more likely to use it as a jpeg/tiff editor than a raw development tool, since as a raw developer it doesn't do anything SilkyPix Pro v8 doesn't do, and in many cases does a lot less.

Comments based on Bayer files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, artuk said:

FWIW it's worth, I recently tried ON1 Photo Raw, and really didn't like the user interface -it felt too much as if based on smartphone filter apps, I didn't think the user interface worked particular well on PCs,  put too little within the raw development part and too much with the post-raw editor, and the results were very dramatic like said smartphone apps, but not terribly realistic or particularly good quality.

I also tried Affinity, on PC.  The UI is a little strange, perhaps because of it's Mac origins, and it doesn't work properly with touch screen devices (you have to use the mouse).  It reminds me of Paint Shop Pro or perhaps Photoshop Elements - a fairly basic raw development tool with an editor and HDR package attached,  It is quite slow at some things but offers "real time" adjustments in other areas.  The results are quite good, but I'm more likely to use it as a jpeg/tiff editor than a raw development tool, since as a raw developer it doesn't do anything SilkyPix Pro v8 doesn't do, and in many cases does a lot less.

Comments based on Bayer files.

Artuk, 

I have expressed my ambivalence on ON1 earlier this year in another thread. I found it a bit ham handed. As for Affinity, it is mostly a post raw editing tool akin to photoshop (elements?). It has good features, though the lasso tool is not as robust. I use it (on a mac) mostly for post processing after I tweak raw files via Iridient. 

Good that you are trying out other software, SP, LR and other market leaders may fall behind as new ideas come forth. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, raagamuffin said:

Artuk, 

I have expressed my ambivalence on ON1 earlier this year in another thread. I found it a bit ham handed. As for Affinity, it is mostly a post raw editing tool akin to photoshop (elements?). It has good features, though the lasso tool is not as robust. I use it (on a mac) mostly for post processing after I tweak raw files via Iridient. 

Good that you are trying out other software, SP, LR and other market leaders may fall behind as new ideas come forth. 

 

There has been a debate for some months over at DearSuasn.net about the "next generation" of raw development and editing tools.  The background is that there is some dislike for Adobe for pricing model and the catalogue based approach, and the same catalogue issues with CApture One, as well as changes to the APple product set (Aperture has gone now? not sure).  The conclusion was that most of the new software misses the mark, because it throws away the good learning from the other software in terms of approach or interface, and is often very incomplete.  That's my view of On1 Raw - weird interface that works against what most photographers may be accustomed to - and Affinity, which is good but seems to have missing features.  I would say the latter makes an alternative to Paint Shop Pro, but seems less featured.  To be honest, unless it's much different or better on Mac hardware, I don't really understand what all the "fuss" about Affinity is - I've been using Pain Shop Pro for years and it seems similar but better in many ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×