scharfsj

Interesting Observation...

scharfsj   

The Fuji X Series site is the first one I found when I bought my first X-cam, a little X10 back in 2012. I don't hang out here much though, and after four years, I think I have figured out why....there are 12-13 dedicated forums for *gear*, and one for...photography, images, projects...you know, photographs.

And that forum has far fewer comments and interaction than any of the "gear" forums. All of the other Fuji forum sites have dedicated forums for different genres of photography: landscape, sports, portraiture, urbex, architecture, wildlife, street, etc, etc. The vast majority of posts in the creatively named "Photo Gallery" have, on average, 0-2 comments. I posted some professional motorsports photojournalism photography work on Sept 25 using the just-released X-T2 for real, peak action racing photography thinking folks would be interested in how the new camera would perform in a tough, real-world environment, and not one person commented until I made a comment about that it had over 100 views and not one comment. After that, one person actually replied, and said, yes, the majority of comments here are about gear, not photographs. 

Sad....

:(

scharfsi, this is unfortunate, but I think there is not too much we can do.

Digital technology has hugely popularized photography. This in itself is an excellent thing. However, we have to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of those who own a digital imaging device (camera, smartphone, or else) have likely  little interest in photography itself and are more fascinated by the technology behind it. Aren't these new exciting electronic gadgets, after all? So the majority of blogs, sites, forums, posts, and replies just reflect this dominant aspect of the interest in photography.

Coming to us, of all the Fuji X cameras forums (as well as other photography forums/sites) I find this to be one of the most "comfortable". The level of trolling/aggressiveness is lower than in other sites, and while in the past months the participation has somewhat declined, I much appreciate the effort by Christopher to facilitate the sharing of pictures and the feedback that some users provide to them. I feel that for a "formally" or "mainly" technical forum the level of photography sharing is quite good and I would certainly be glad to see and support its further expansion.;)

artuk   

many forums are the same, its not just this one.

also this forum membership is very low, which may be a factor

the last time I looked the "other" Fuji forum was quite similar

in other brand forums I am a member of they have threads for open views, themed views and competitions - though in reality it is dominated by a small number of members who pat each other on the back a great deal about the quality of each others work and most other peoples photos go un -noticed

if you wanted feedback on how the camera behaved in real world.shooting, are photos in a gallery the best way to do that? Pictures don't always tell you much about how a camera performs or behaves - in the same way that web sized samples don't tell anyone.much about a lens

just a thought - when I want to know about a camera I read text as any pictures tell me more about the photographer, their post processing skills etc. Any modern digital camera has good image quality. I assume your angle was more about focusing action etc which I appreciate could be demonstrated by pictures

Dismason   

Internet is flooded by photographs and all kinds of channels to publish all kinds of hobbies. I think people are quite tired to like and comment other photographers posts because they do not get any response for their own posts. 

One of the reasons for my writing and publishing is that I want to show my collaborators that my stuff has been published regularly.
I'm not looking for comments or likes, but if someone take the time to like that I publish, I always return to like back. So if I get 120 hearts in Instagram for one of my photos I give at least 120 hearts back, often more (if the owners profile is disgustful, I will not give feedback on it).

IMG_2504.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scharfsj said:

The Fuji X Series site is the first one I found when I bought my first X-cam, a little X10 back in 2012. I don't hang out here much though, and after four years, I think I have figured out why....there are 12-13 dedicated forums for *gear*, and one for...photography, images, projects...you know, photographs.

And that forum has far fewer comments and interaction than any of the "gear" forums. All of the other Fuji forum sites have dedicated forums for different genres of photography: landscape, sports, portraiture, urbex, architecture, wildlife, street, etc, etc. The vast majority of posts in the creatively named "Photo Gallery" have, on average, 0-2 comments. I posted some professional motorsports photojournalism photography work on Sept 25 using the just-released X-T2 for real, peak action racing photography thinking folks would be interested in how the new camera would perform in a tough, real-world environment, and not one person commented until I made a comment about that it had over 100 views and not one comment. After that, one person actually replied, and said, yes, the majority of comments here are about gear, not photographs. 

Sad....

:(

My intention was to push those photos and discussions into our actual photo gallery: http://www.fujixseries.com/gallery/, but your feedback raises good points about the forum itself. Perhaps there needs to be more prominence on sharing photos outside of our gallery, since many photos are already hosted elsewhere.

Back in 2012 the Fujifilm X Series was only just beginning to form, our budding forum was a unique resource for early adopters. As the Fujifilm X Series cameras have gained popularity in the past few years, many larger established camera websites, forums, and blogs have come online to also cover the subject, and our prominence on the web has become diluted.

I'm not ready to give up on this community though, and I hope you won't give us on us either. Your feedback is helpful, and I'm open to further suggestions.

• Like 4

artuk   

@Christopher You probably don't get the thanks and recognition for the effort that maintaining this forum probably takes.  One has to accept that the community of Fuji users is a relatively small one, and this forum is a small subset of those people.  I enjoy this forum as the discussions are civilised and interesting, even though I only own an X100 (original) now and in all honesty rarely use it, in favour of more modern (therefore "sexy") cameras.  I think most of us who are "regulars" here appreciate the forum and enjoy it - I don't know how to make galleries and photos more popular, and when I have shown some of work here historically, it often gets little attention.  Please keep up the good work, and sorry to be a never ending thorn in your side!

• Like 5

As a (somewhat) newer user of this forum, I have a couple of thoughts, if you can spare the neurons. 

scharfsj, you make a good point, and personally I have viewed many of the pics that are posted here. I don't comment on them, or 'like' them, but I enjoy seeing people's perspectives. Perhaps I could be more proactive in this regard. 

On a parallel note, the fact is that I didn't join this forum to look at pics from a  Fuji X camera, I joined it because I had questions about a number of different things regarding Fuji cameras and processing in general. Also, being an amateur, I have made some ignorant statements and individuals here have been patient in their feedback and responses. I haven't found another Fuji forum in my travels that is consistently as easy going. 

• Like 2

scharfsj   
On January 3, 2017 at 10:03 PM, MarcoDebiasi said:

scharfsi, this is unfortunate, but I think there is not too much we can do.

Digital technology has hugely popularized photography. This in itself is an excellent thing. However, we have to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of those who own a digital imaging device (camera, smartphone, or else) have likely  little interest in photography itself and are more fascinated by the technology behind it. Aren't these new exciting electronic gadgets, after all? So the majority of blogs, sites, forums, posts, and replies just reflect this dominant aspect of the interest in photography.

Coming to us, of all the Fuji X cameras forums (as well as other photography forums/sites) I find this to be one of the most "comfortable". The level of trolling/aggressiveness is lower than in other sites, and while in the past months the participation has somewhat declined, I much appreciate the effort by Christopher to facilitate the sharing of pictures and the feedback that some users provide to them. I feel that for a "formally" or "mainly" technical forum the level of photography sharing is quite good and I would certainly be glad to see and support its further expansion.;)

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your reply.  As a "guy", I fully understand the need and inclination to talk "parts". No issues around that at all. My observation was more around a couple of things 1) only a single "catch all" forum for posting images, project, "work", for the lack of a better term" when most of the other Fuji X forums have dedicated areas for the different genres of photography. 

2) Engagement: There simply does not seem to be much engagement by this community participating in and providing input, insights, dialog, constructive criticism, etc. around photography. A lot about "parts", not much about photography.  That is why we're doing this after all.

Regarding trolling/aggressiveness, I have to respectfully disagree...at least when I used to frequent this place more often in 2013 and 2014. For example, I posted some X-Pro 1 NHRA professional drag racing images back in 2014 showing that the camera could do "peak action sports" photography, and I basically got reamed by a bunch of guys, some of them saying pro drag racing wasn't "peak action", the cars weren't going fast, blah, blah. It was total BS. One of the reasons I don't hang out here much is I found there was a lot (IMHO)  sniping/snarky/trolling/aggresive behavior we see on many different male-dominated internet forums, whether it be digital photography, high-end, sport motorcycles, whatever. 

I do want to thank you, though, for your thoughtful and measured reply. Based on my past experiences here, I thought I was going to get flamed for this post. 

Regards,

Stephen

On January 3, 2017 at 11:18 PM, artuk said:

many forums are the same, its not just this one.

also this forum membership is very low, which may be a factor

the last time I looked the "other" Fuji forum was quite similar

in other brand forums I am a member of they have threads for open views, themed views and competitions - though in reality it is dominated by a small number of members who pat each other on the back a great deal about the quality of each others work and most other peoples photos go un -noticed

if you wanted feedback on how the camera behaved in real world.shooting, are photos in a gallery the best way to do that? Pictures don't always tell you much about how a camera performs or behaves - in the same way that web sized samples don't tell anyone.much about a lens

just a thought - when I want to know about a camera I read text as any pictures tell me more about the photographer, their post processing skills etc. Any modern digital camera has good image quality. I assume your angle was more about focusing action etc which I appreciate could be demonstrated by pictures

Hi Art,

I didn't post my X-T2 real world, peak action racing images in the Gallery, I posted them in the X-T2 forum because it was literally only days after the camera was released for sale, and I thought folks like to see how it could perform in a tough real-world environment in challenging camera performance scenarios. Over 100 views and zero comments until I made a comment observing that fact. By contrast, on "the original Fuji X forum" there were over 50 comments (some of which were mine adding more content or reply to comments) to effectively the same post. That's what I'm referring as to what I see as not much engagement here. 

Regards,

Stephen

scharfsj   
On January 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Christopher said:

My intention was to push those photos and discussions into our actual photo gallery: http://www.fujixseries.com/gallery/, but your feedback raises good points about the forum itself. Perhaps there needs to be more prominence on sharing photos outside of our gallery, since many photos are already hosted elsewhere.

Back in 2012 the Fujifilm X Series was only just beginning to form, our budding forum was a unique resource for early adopters. As the Fujifilm X Series cameras have gained popularity in the past few years, many larger established camera websites, forums, and blogs have come online to also cover the subject, and our prominence on the web has become diluted.

I'm not ready to give up on this community though, and I hope you won't give us on us either. Your feedback is helpful, and I'm open to further suggestions.

Thanks for your reply, Christopher. From a "kaizen" perspective, a philosophy I am sure you understand and support, there is always room for continuous improvement. I think it's appropriate to have a more dedicated sections on different genres, but that's up to you to decide. I agree that Fuji X Series was one of the first Fuji forums back in the 2012 time-frame, which is why I joined, but to be honest, in addition to a community that doesn't seem to me to be particularly "engaged" in dialog with fellow members, a lot of the reason I "left" for the better part of 4 years is I got tired of the continual aggressive sniping/snarky/confrontational replies by small but very consistent set of members here. For example, back in 2012, an extremely talented professional photographer that use to post here told me they felt they were literally "driven away" from here, and which actually extended to hostile behavior outside of this forum. This was someone who was vastly more talented, capable, experienced and knowledgeable than the vast majority of people here. After hanging out here a bit longer, I basically left as well and for the same reasons, essentially. I find "the Original Fuji X Forum" to be considerably friendlier, to be honest with you. 

A community is both what people make of it, and what people let others make of it. 

Best regards,

Stephen 

• Like 1

artuk   

@scharfsj I think the engagement is a numbers game

I found the other Fuji forum a tedious place due to the moderation - one has a commercial interest in selling Fuji cameras and would argue black was white to defend them - and the result of this was little critical analysis and an aversion to many truths (in synopsis, my view from owning one was that the X Pro 1 was a dog, but any comment on it's obvious failings was just met with a diatribe of comments that one should shoot manual - focus, exposure).  The professional you are referring to had a tendency to enter conversations with tangential posts promoting links to other content he had authored - I remember a specific incident where these was a debate about X Trans vs. Bayer and issues of demosaicing when he "contributed" with a link to another forum where he authored content which was of little relevance to be debate.  When this was pointed out, he took exception.  One should remember that internet bloggers are mostly funded by manufacturers and use clicks to drive income, so there is little that is free from editorial bias and sponsorship.  Would I trust someone getting equipment or payment from Fuji and generating revenue from promoting Fuji equipment as an unbiased source of information or someone to give unbiased critical analysis?  Of course not.  I never saw any personal attacks or criticism here - only healthy sometimes strident debate  - something that the other Fuji forum's moderators strictly disallow as it harms their own interests

K1W1_Mk2   

Why do people refer to "other" Fuji forums as "other" Fuji forums rather than naming names? The active membership here is so low that firstly I am sure most of the active members belong to other photo sites anyway and is naming names really going to cause a mass exodus or something?

I belong to another Fuji forum (http://www.fujix-forum.com/) which I find to be much more alive and interesting than this one. There are decent discussions great photography on display and sensible behaviour but I keep coming back here because this was the first Fuji specific forum I joined and even if its only in a small way I want to support Christopher in his efforts and I continue to hope that this place will again become the dynamic and interesting place it once was.

• Like 4

scharfsj   
4 hours ago, artuk said:

@scharfsj I think the engagement is a numbers game

I found the other Fuji forum a tedious place due to the moderation - one has a commercial interest in selling Fuji cameras and would argue black was white to defend them - and the result of this was little critical analysis and an aversion to many truths (in synopsis, my view from owning one was that the X Pro 1 was a dog, but any comment on it's obvious failings was just met with a diatribe of comments that one should shoot manual - focus, exposure).  The professional you are referring to had a tendency to enter conversations with tangential posts promoting links to other content he had authored - I remember a specific incident where these was a debate about X Trans vs. Bayer and issues of demosaicing when he "contributed" with a link to another forum where he authored content which was of little relevance to be debate.  When this was pointed out, he took exception.  One should remember that internet bloggers are mostly funded by manufacturers and use clicks to drive income, so there is little that is free from editorial bias and sponsorship.  Would I trust someone getting equipment or payment from Fuji and generating revenue from promoting Fuji equipment as an unbiased source of information or someone to give unbiased critical analysis?  Of course not.  I never saw any personal attacks or criticism here - only healthy sometimes strident debate  - something that the other Fuji forum's moderators strictly disallow as it harms their own interests

Hi Art,

Just for the sake of clarity, that was not the professional I was referring to. 

Have to respectfully disagree on the personal attacks or criticisms here. I'm fine with healthy strident debate, but back in 2014, that was not my (or other's) experiences. 

1 hour ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

Why do people refer to "other" Fuji forums as "other" Fuji forums rather than naming names? The active membership here is so low that firstly I am sure most of the active members belong to other photo sites anyway and is naming names really going to cause a mass exodus or something?

I belong to another Fuji forum (http://www.fujix-forum.com/) which I find to be much more alive and interesting than this one. There are decent discussions great photography on display and sensible behaviour but I keep coming back here because this was the first Fuji specific forum I joined and even if its only in a small way I want to support Christopher in his efforts and I continue to hope that this place will again become the dynamic and interesting place it once was.

Just for the sake of accuracy, I did name the other forum: "The "original" Fuji X-Forum. It is the one you link to above. And, I fully agree, I find that forum much more alive and interesting than this one. That's the one I've been spending most of my time on. 

artuk   

@scharfsj We were obviously thinking about different people.  I take your word that you found discussions were from debate to personal - a pity as there is no need for it even when people disagree strongly.

@K1W1_Mk2 I actually refer to the "other" Fuji forum as I can't accurate remember it's name / URL (I haven't used it in a long time) and am aware that Fuji Rumors started a forum with a near identical name - so its easier than bothering to look up the name or URL or get nit-picking over any name used.

• Like 1

morpheme   

For myself, I'll freely admit that I comment rarely on other people's work. I find that few folks actually want any real critique and to this day I'm still suffering the influence of a professor who wouldn't allow the class to just sit around and say nice but meaningless things about other people's work. One of the few times I did offer some criticism (not here.. on a different site that focuses on nature and skews towards the scientific end of things)  I dared to suggest that I preferred unaltered images of animals in the wild when some debate came up about a specific photo. Attacked about why I would say that I explained that the replaced sky was not unnoticeable as it didn't match the subject lighting, the clipping around the subject was less than perfect and the subject had been photographed at a much higher ISO than the background, and so had significantly more noise. I was subjected to insults and personal attacks until the person was booted from the site. Fine done..

artuk   
3 hours ago, morpheme said:

For myself, I'll freely admit that I comment rarely on other people's work. I find that few folks actually want any real critique and to this day I'm still suffering the influence of a professor who wouldn't allow the class to just sit around and say nice but meaningless things about other people's work. One of the few times I did offer some criticism (not here.. on a different site that focuses on nature and skews towards the scientific end of things)  I dared to suggest that I preferred unaltered images of animals in the wild when some debate came up about a specific photo. Attacked about why I would say that I explained that the replaced sky was not unnoticeable as it didn't match the subject lighting, the clipping around the subject was less than perfect and the subject had been photographed at a much higher ISO than the background, and so had significantly more noise. I was subjected to insults and personal attacks until the person was booted from the site. Fine done..

I suffer the opposite problem - most online "critique" is just self justifying group think - "wow great" rather than any actual constructive criticism, which is largely not allowed and hounded out, as mostly online forums just want people to justify their own beliefs.  Any actual criticism or comments that are not endlessly congratulatory over some mediocre picture of a girlfriend or dog is met with hostility.  Your comments confirm this, and why it is often mostly pointless to offer any genuine critique.  One must bear in mind that much photography - a visual art - seems to be practiced by people with almost no visual acuity to actually notice that a sky and a subject don't actually match - probably because much of popular online photography is so heavily processed and unreal that it becomes irrelevant.

morpheme   

Lol.. perhaps I should have worded that differently - I totally agree with you and my old prof - just sitting around patting one another on the back has little point and I still "suffer" from his influence, as I choose to not engage in it. If I see something that I really, truly like and truly impresses me, I will comment, but in general I don't say anything because I don't want to engage in superficiality and know that critique is generally unwelcome.

And really that's fine - not everyone needs to want critique - if you are just taking photos to make yourself happy and they do that's reasonable and what I or anyone else thinks is completely superfluous. Ah but then - if you go out of your way to solicit comments and then blow up if they are not all simply oozing and fawning over your PRIZE WINNING PHOTO, that is a totally different story. 

To the OP - if you are still around, I was one of the people who looked at your post when it was first up and yes, I did not comment, mainly because the subject matter holds little interest for me. Cars and car racing simply isn't a particularly interesting subject to me, but the performance of the lens and camera combination can apply to other things that move, so I did indeed browse through your post. You want to know my honest opinion? Your photos seemed fine, but nothing in there made me, a person who has no interest or expertise in cars, go oh wow, that is an awesome photo that I might want to hang on my wall, kind of thing, but I have no idea, a car person might like to and further more you did say that it was a shoot for pay - I also work as a photographer and while I do always most certainly try to provide my client with the best possible image, it's not like I expect every photograph to win an award or wow anyone. Most of them are pretty mundane to tell you the truth, but they do exactly what they need to, which in my field is to document a medical condition accurately and be of a quality that they can provide actual useful information should they be used for education, research and/or publication. Well.. sometimes they might wow someone who knows what they are looking at... but for other, probably most, people it's more often than not something they'd actually rather not look at...

I am also a bit of a mycophile- I have an real interest in mushrooms. I have some pretty cool photos of some of them too, but honestly I don't expect people who have little to no interest in fungi to take any great appreciation of them..

scharfsj   
On January 10, 2017 at 2:38 AM, artuk said:

@scharfsj We were obviously thinking about different people.  I take your word that you found discussions were from debate to personal - a pity as there is no need for it even when people disagree strongly.

@K1W1_Mk2 I actually refer to the "other" Fuji forum as I can't accurate remember it's name / URL (I haven't used it in a long time) and am aware that Fuji Rumors started a forum with a near identical name - so its easier than bothering to look up the name or URL or get nit-picking over any name used.

Agree, Art. "The original Fuji X Series Forum" url is www.Fujix-forum.com and the Fuji Rumors one is: www.fuji-x-forum.com. Admittedly quite confusing...

18 hours ago, artuk said:

I suffer the opposite problem - most online "critique" is just self justifying group think - "wow great" rather than any actual constructive criticism, which is largely not allowed and hounded out, as mostly online forums just want people to justify their own beliefs.  Any actual criticism or comments that are not endlessly congratulatory over some mediocre picture of a girlfriend or dog is met with hostility.  Your comments confirm this, and why it is often mostly pointless to offer any genuine critique.  One must bear in mind that much photography - a visual art - seems to be practiced by people with almost no visual acuity to actually notice that a sky and a subject don't actually match - probably because much of popular online photography is so heavily processed and unreal that it becomes irrelevant.

Good points, Art. OTOH, we could provide leadership and set examples here; just something for consideration. 

artuk   
18 hours ago, morpheme said:

You want to know my honest opinion? Your photos seemed fine, but nothing in there made me, a person who has no interest or expertise in cars, go oh wow, that is an awesome photo that I might want to hang on my wall, kind of thing, but I have no idea, a car person might like to and further more you did say that it was a shoot for pay

Now you've "come out" on this, I took a look at the photo thread after reading this thread, and to be honest, the photos didn't wow me at all - many are almost identical compositions of different cars/drivers, which I know nothing about and which therefore has no interest to me - some of the pictures simply looked the same.  I also thought that since the post says the cars were moving at great speed, it didn't show in the small photos in the discussion - no obvious motion blur or panning blur to give a sense of speed.  Finally, I thought may were composed or cropped too tightly, and gave no space for the vehicles to move into or away from - again lessening their impact and the sense of speed and racing.  My honest opinion.  They may well have demonstrated the camera can focus on some types of moving things, and it's well known that earlier Fuji cameras really weren't good at that, so I guess if that's where ones interest lies then it may be insightful.

3 hours ago, scharfsj said:

Good points, Art. OTOH, we could provide leadership and set examples here; just something for consideration. 

I sometimes do offer what I would regard as "constructive criticism" and speak openly about what I personally like or dislike.  On a number of occasions this has been met with outright hostility over what in all honesty I would regard as poor or average photos, though my critique was polite and trying to be helpful in making suggestions about composition, lighting, model pose etc.  The classic passive aggressive defence is "rules are made to be broken" and at that point you know there is no more point in trying to have a polite discussion about what you think might improve a photo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, artuk said:

Now you've "come out" on this, I took a look at the photo thread after reading this thread, and to be honest, the photos didn't wow me at all - many are almost identical compositions of different cars/drivers, which I know nothing about and which therefore has no interest to me - some of the pictures simply looked the same.  I also thought that since the post says the cars were moving at great speed, it didn't show in the small photos in the discussion - no obvious motion blur or panning blur to give a sense of speed.  Finally, I thought may were composed or cropped too tightly, and gave no space for the vehicles to move into or away from - again lessening their impact and the sense of speed and racing.  My honest opinion.  They may well have demonstrated the camera can focus on some types of moving things, and it's well known that earlier Fuji cameras really weren't good at that, so I guess if that's where ones interest lies then it may be insightful.

I sometimes do offer what I would regard as "constructive criticism" and speak openly about what I personally like or dislike.  On a number of occasions this has been met with outright hostility over what in all honesty I would regard as poor or average photos, though my critique was polite and trying to be helpful in making suggestions about composition, lighting, model pose etc.  The classic passive aggressive defence is "rules are made to be broken" and at that point you know there is no more point in trying to have a polite discussion about what you think might improve a photo.

Likewise. I don't need leadership to do what I've done fairly regularly from the start. In fact it's mainly down to me, Marco, Artuk and about 3 others to comment. However, just like Artuk I've met with hostility too. Not always -  @johnwillyums  posted pictures and I suggested how they might be improved and he took it in the way it was intended but others want only "nice" replies and no negatives. I don't know about you but if I'm going to contribute any more than "nice" or "I like it", then I'm going to be honest but hopefully kind too. Then again How long am I to spend giving my honest critique with only a half dozen others to share the burden. Sometimes I don't have time to comment more than "nice" and I'd prefer to not comment at all than do that to images and members who deserve better. My wife already tells me I spend too long on the PC.

Many of the images posted in the gallery are posted by first time members who contribute nothing prior nor after posting apart from more images. Those - and they make up a fair proportion of gallery posts - don't even get a like from me. If many pictures are posted by a member then again it's hard to comment on all and usually I will comment on one and mention the others. Perhaps we should have a limit of 3 image uploads a day per member but even that can be awkward if the member has a special sequence of 6 to post -  maybe allow that on the forums but not for comment.

• Like 2

@scharfsj I was the person who commented on your race photos. I think I had just returned from my holiday at the time and missed your original post but picked it up when you commented on the lack of comments. Or maybe it was because I had just passed through Sonoma and noticed the thread title.

As a non professional photographer, I sometimes feel intimidated making anything more than a comment on how a photograph looks or makes me feel.

Being honest, I felt you posted too many similar shots for a generalist (i.e. non-racing) website. I would have preferred to see and comment on your three or four favourites. Or to see reasons why you thought each one was worth including in the thread. In my Bodie thread, which I see you read and commented on, thanks, I just shared a couple of my favourite shots and provided a link to a gallery of the rest. I think people get daunted by a huge set of shots.

I didn't really comment on your photos, for the reason I gave above. I can't really give technical feedback to a pro. But I called out the picture I liked most, the one of Ryan Hunter-Reay. i liked it because the car was leaning heavily into the corner and really looked like it was moving fast, and there was space on the left of the shot for it to move into. It really gave me the best sense of speed and movement of all the cornering shots you shared. If I'm honest, most of the other shots could have been of stationary cars and they would not have looked much different. The tight cropping was maybe a reason for that, and maybe you did that to show how good the focus was.

The shot directly above Ryan Hunter-Reay, a classic side on shot showing motion blur, was my second favourite, as again it gave me a sense of speed and engagement with the photo, but the shot was still too tightly cropped for me, it needed space around it to give it a sense of movement, which is why the other was my favourite overall.

Not being a connoisseur of racing, it maybe that your shots fall into a style that is expected in that sport, and therefore I may be missing something about the framing and emotion. Or it may be that, as you say, your choice of shot was based on giving a clear idea of the capability of the X-T2 - something of little interest to me.

Technically, they were all great shots. I have nothing to add on that.

On the subject of this thread, I have a couple of points to make...

1. I really like this forum, it is civilised, has respectful and helpful members and is not pushing kit at you all the time.

2. Having said that, like you, I really would like there to be a lively area where we can share our favourite images for frank and honest discussion. I thrive on constructive criticism and would really appreciate it from some of the members here. I think Flickr is too fast moving and dominated by a few vocal and sometimes unpleasant cliques.

I have been an infrequent visitor for a few months due to being busy starting a new job, spending time on my electronic music hobby and, <shocker> having settled on a camera body and set of lenses I am really happy with. I would be here a lot more often if we had more discussion on photos. Maybe a shot clinic thread/forum?

• Like 2

On 13/01/2017 at 4:38 PM, RichardCFrost said:

...and, <shocker> having settled on a camera body and set of lenses I am really happy with.

Hmm. No sooner do I say this they launch the X-T20! I shall need to hang on to my nerve and wait a good nine months I think.

• Like 1