morpheme

Where do you post and do you examine the license agreements?

7 posts in this topic

I noticed recently and in the past that some people post to sites like the National Geographic "Your Shot" and similar sites. I was looking it over again today and I was reminded that the license agreement has really quite put me off... 

you hereby grant to National Geographic and our NG Affiliates, licensees, assignees, and authorized users, a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, freely sublicensable and transferable (in whole or in part) right (including any moral rights) and license to use, modify, excerpt, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works.... 

and it goes on...the ending bit pretty much says they can do it without notifying you as well...  to me that is a bit of a road too far and signing away way too much. I like to share, but steer clear from sites that have agreements that are that broad. I even steer clear of most Flickr groups that posting to is an agreement for reuse, except for one of the bird groups that allows them to use images on Cornell's all about birds site. I'm OK with that and the agreement is limited to just them - none of this freely sublicense stuff... 

How do you all feel about it? Do you submit to many sharing sites, do you read licensing agreements - do you care? 

Yes I read the agreement and no I usually don't post because I read the agreements.

A similar situation arises with some other publishers of printed magazines and newspapers. I came across one recently who would have published a piece I wrote and illustrated for a magazine but wanted me to sign an agreement giving them all rights to my images, world wide and forever (in the same vein as the National Geographic arrangement shown above) including my copyright. If I'm being paid for work for a magazine I'm generally content to accept an arrangement agreeing not to use a particular image elsewhere (if asked - it rarely arises and then probably only for a cover image) but I won't sign away all my rights. 

Some photographic competitions also have rights-grabbing conditions. If it matters to you I would urge photographers entering those to read the T&C's carefully. At least one major international competition threatens legal action against anyone found to be in breach of their terms.

3 hours ago, ChrisPoole said:

Some photographic competitions also have rights-grabbing conditions. If it matters to you I would urge photographers entering those to read the T&C's carefully. At least one major international competition threatens legal action against anyone found to be in breach of their terms.

I'd go as far to say most competitions fall into that category. Competitions today seem to exist for two reasons 1. The organisers rack in a huge profit from the entry fees and 2. To get access to images that the organisers can if they wish to monetise at the expense of the suckers who pay to submit them.

2 people like this

I couldn't agree more. I'm amazed that people pay to enter competitions.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that this bothers. I do think that some of these sites take advantage of amateurs who are eager to share and are looking for affirmation. I would bet that it is not super uncommon that people don't even really know about what rights they have to their own works, so signing them away doesn't even really have much meaning to them....  I think it does bother me even more that it is National Geographic... they are such a household name that it excites people to be able to talk about having their images there... it bothers me too that enticing people who are talented amateurs like that creates a situation wherein these people who in the past might have been offered money for their work and become a professional now think it to be perfectly normal to give their work away for the sake of a lot of "likes".... not to mention undermining the people who already are professionals.

I hadn't even thought about the contest angle. I rarely enter them and have certainly never paid to enter anything. That sounds even sneakier... like getting people to pay for the privilege of losing the rights to their own photos...

National Geographic today is not the Nat Geo we all fondly remember from our childhoods. To start with its owned by Rupert Murdoch the enemy of serious and unbiased journalism.

2 people like this