bazancik

spirit level / virtual horizon on FN button?

bazancik   

Hello,

I just jumped the system (X-T2) and looks like need a little help to untangle the Fuji-ways of customisation and menu. Probably the first of posts in a series (apologies in advance!)

A couple of questions that cannot find a straight answer to:

Main question for now: is there a way to put the virtual horizon / spirit level on any of the function buttons? I do a fair bit of pano work and I had the function on Nikon on in a way that could bring the spirit level without taking my eyes of the scene (in the viewfinder, never bother with the screen). Any way to have this 'programmed' into any of the many function buttons on X-t2? 

Also, to work in manual mode - what's the best setting and custom settings to get SS on the front dial, ISO on the back dial and A on the lens? It seems to be always missing one of them for some reason... 

Thanks for any help - hopefully will get it all worked out soon and can be the helper myself!

I don't think so, at least not XT1 and earlier but you can choose the display options to include full info or custom info or no info and cycle between the 3 options with your right thumb using the "Display Back" button if that is any help.

bazancik   

Thanks - seems like an option (did not see that can cycle between views the way you suggest). Will give it a try and see if that works (having the virtual horizon on all time was not an option:)

Though - not quite getting anywhere near with the settings. How do I get these (sorry - but still in the step-by-step mode -- 3 days of the camera and totally not getting FF logic yet). 

What would be perfect is to have the main info on both views (SS, A, ISO, +/-, histogram) and with the next circle add horizon. How do I get there? The manual seems a little bit... hmmm...

Thank you, 

On 1/7/2017 at 6:51 AM, bazancik said:

Also, to work in manual mode - what's the best setting and custom settings to get SS on the front dial, ISO on the back dial and A on the lens? It seems to be always missing one of them for some reason... 

Welcome to the community @bazancik!

Unfortunately you cannot set all of those things with the front and back command dials, only some. If you set the SS dial on the top of the camera to 'T' you will then be able to set your shutter speed using the rear command dial. If you have a lens attached that has no aperture ring (27mm pancake) you will be able to set the aperture with the front command dial, but if your lens has a dedicated aperture ring (almost all do), setting the aperture ring to 'A' will actually set the camera to shutter priority, rather than move control of the aperture setting to the front command dial. A bummer, I know, it would be nice to have both options.

If you'd prefer to set your SS using the front dial instead of the rear, you can swap their functions in the X-T2 settings menu under Command/Dials Settings.

The ISO can only be set from the physical dial on the top of the camera.

farrell   
On 1/7/2017 at 7:51 AM, bazancik said:

Hello,

I just jumped the system (X-T2) and looks like need a little help to untangle the Fuji-ways of customisation and menu. Probably the first of posts in a series (apologies in advance!)

A couple of questions that cannot find a straight answer to:

Main question for now: is there a way to put the virtual horizon / spirit level on any of the function buttons? I do a fair bit of pano work and I had the function on Nikon on in a way that could bring the spirit level without taking my eyes of the scene (in the viewfinder, never bother with the screen). Any way to have this 'programmed' into any of the many function buttons on X-t2? 

Thanks for any help - hopefully will get it all worked out soon and can be the helper myself!

When architectural verticals are parallel with the frame sides the camera is level and

the actual, real horizon bisects the top and bottom of the frame.  

What could possibly be simpler?

Certainly not trying to dope out unneeded electronics.

bazancik   
On 10/01/2017 at 10:20 AM, farrell said:

When architectural verticals are parallel with the frame sides the camera is level and

the actual, real horizon bisects the top and bottom of the frame.  

What could possibly be simpler?

Certainly not trying to dope out unneeded electronics.

doesn't work with panoramas of mountains: for some reason, they don't follow the architect's directives of being straight vertical... 

On 09/01/2017 at 11:18 AM, Christopher said:

Welcome to the community @bazancik!

Unfortunately you cannot set all of those things with the front and back command dials, only some. If you set the SS dial on the top of the camera to 'T' you will then be able to set your shutter speed using the rear command dial. If you have a lens attached that has no aperture ring (27mm pancake) you will be able to set the aperture with the front command dial, but if your lens has a dedicated aperture ring (almost all do), setting the aperture ring to 'A' will actually set the camera to shutter priority, rather than move control of the aperture setting to the front command dial. A bummer, I know, it would be nice to have both options.

If you'd prefer to set your SS using the front dial instead of the rear, you can swap their functions in the X-T2 settings menu under Command/Dials Settings.

The ISO can only be set from the physical dial on the top of the camera.

bummer indeed. The aperture ring and T works fine - though I'm so used to two wheels that still try to do it... guess some unlearning is needed. 

But more strange that ISO can only be done on the physical wheel - and there is no quick shortcut to access the three ISO modes either. It seems like a little forgotten sibling out of the trio. Maybe they still thinking film times: you set it, you use it...

hopefully next firmware...

I'm not sure if I misunderstood. You can have the spirit level horizon in the viewfinder/screen all the time. In Screen setup, Display custom custom setting.

bazancik   

well, i don't actually want it all the time - but be able to call it in as needed without going through the long menu. 
it does not seem to be possible though...