31 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, artuk said:

ultra wide lenses are well known to mis focus on very small details as everything is so small in the frame and the depth of field of the lens is very large, cause mis-focusing and focus issues

I also had this problem with the 35 f2. Which really is not wide. Well, and i didn't have such crass problems with the Canon 5D II and 6D - about which they all say, that Fuji AF is on par with, or better ...So it looks like fine structures require manual focus. Unheard of, to this extent. Which really really sucks. i mean, never autofocus on woods? Frightening if you ask me. Didnt consider these branches to cause delicate issues, i mean come on. A camera chould be able to tell that blurr from sharpness. If it finds it once, it should always find it. oh boy :(

10 minutes ago, artuk said:

did you turn the OSS off?

OSS on with a tripod can cause unpredictable results with softness and blurring.  in other systems I have used it can occasionally cause softness and blurring on one side of the frame.

it was Off. But anyway, at 1/1000 sec, if that would be a problem, THEN we really would have a problem.

1 minute ago, huck222 said:

I also had this problem with the 35 f2. Which really is not wide. Well, and i didn't have such crass problems with the Canon 5D II and 6D - about which they all say, that Fuji AF is on par with, or better ...So it looks like fine structures require manual focus. Unheard of, to this extent. Which really really sucks. i mean, never autofocus on woods? Frightening if you ask me. Didnt consider these branches to cause delicate issues, i mean come on. A camera chould be able to tell that blurr from sharpness. If it finds it once, it should always find it. oh boy :(

are you aware that the focus system in mirrorless cameras and the focus system in SLRs is a totally different technology, and therefore works in a different way, which therefore means that there are different considerations when focusing?

SLR focus systems will often front or back focus with fast aperture lenses, for example, which is a problem that closed-loop focus systems found in mirrorless cameras generally does not have.

however, the focus box on a mirrorless camera is not the same as a point or cross type AF sensor in an SLR, and therefore will react in a different way to different focusing challenges.

I haven't owned an X camera since the X Pro 1, which certainly had it's own focus challenges (mostly speed, also mis-focusing when point light sources faced the front of the lens, even out of shot).  I now use a different mirrorless system and in general it is very accurate, although occasionally gets confused.  however, it's not quite as fast as an SLR in some circumstances, but in most situations is just as fast or better than the last FF SLR I owned.

I'm certainly not saying your camera or lens doesn't have a problem, although its hard to see how this could be such a generalised problem that hasn't been noticed by others?

15 minutes ago, artuk said:

I certainly found on earlier cameras that strong backlight and particularly bright point source side lighting could cause back focus problems, repeatedly.  Not sure if a bright sky or the sun out of the frame but in front of the camera could cause similar problems?

this sky is certainly not very bright, so that should be no issue

1 minute ago, artuk said:

are you aware that the focus system in mirrorless cameras and the focus system in SLRs is a totally different technology, and therefore works in a different way, which therefore means that there are different considerations when focusing?

yeah, but i'd just expect it to work decently on contrasty objects now, come on

6 hours ago, veejaycee said:

However, for landscape shooting surely you won't be focusing on the distant foliage but somewhere 1/3rd to midway using an appropriately small aperture for depth of field.

Yeah.. I am familiar with general DOF rules. But this is about AF acurracy here =). If i point the camera at a tree, then it's about that tree being in focus, not 1/3 stuff =)

1 person likes this

I know this is perhaps a reach, but have you all checked the list of Fuji LENS firmware updates.  Many were originated to deal with focus issues---I suggest you look through the list and make sure your lens doesn't need it.