I recently experienced the same AF problem on X-T2. Bought (from Amazon) a new XT2 with 18-55 kit lens and found so many images were not sharp.  Tried many settings, OIS on and off, high and low ISO, AF-S and C, single-point AF, etc... did not help.  I am confident that it's not my technique because I've photographed from film (35mm, medium and large format) to digital (Nikon DSLR) for 20+ years.  Thanks to Amazon's easy replace/return policy, I got a replacement kit.  But the replacement still has the same issue!  So I returned it and got refund.

I'm thinking maybe try a X-T20?  Has anyone had similar AF problem with X-T20?

If you had bought from a reputable dealer direct and tried 2 different XT2s and 2 different lenses it is doubtful the cameras and lenses are the problem so swapping to an XT20 which has similar operational functions will not help. You either need to stick with the camera/lens and try different ways of using it or swap to another system before wasting money.

However, Amazon's easy replace/return policy has winners and losers. It is unlikely they do anything more with returned cameras and lenses than repack and send out to someone else. There are many questions asked on forums regarding Amazon purchases and the number of actuations on "new" cameras or whether the boxes/bags should be sealed or should the battery be in the camera already (it should not), because buyers have a strong feeling - very likely correct - that they have a previously sold, used and returned unit. If I was you I'd buy from a known and respected dealer. In USA B&H have a return policy and in EU (check out Wex photo), every company must accept returns.

Another option which can save money and be sure of properly checked unit is Fuji's refurb store, online.

Any of you ever saw this video?   Interesting!!  It claims you need to hear the AF Beep sound before taking the pic and you should not rely on the green square only!   I'm about to test this but that would be pretty unacceptable for me or my wedding photography work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=780&v=MewjSDu6E1E

Check as of 4:45 (approx 1/3rd into the video).
I know this is an XT20 and not an XT2, but i've read it's the same workaround on both cameras... 

1 hour ago, djoep said:

Any of you ever saw this video?   Interesting!!  It claims you need to hear the AF Beep sound before taking the pic and you should not rely on the green square only!   I'm about to test this but that would be pretty unacceptable for me or my wedding photography work.

I know this is an XT20 and not an XT2, but i've read it's the same workaround on both cameras... 

I have not seen the the video;I have seen that most cameras that didn't come out of

Fred Flintstone's dumpster provide for beep silencing.

Beware of uboob gurus.

I never have sounds on - and I don't know anyone that uses them although some obviously do. If you want fast AF, use boost mode and no image review. Checkout the first comment on the video. It's the image review which slows down the process and AF and causes missed focus. I also find back button faster and more sure, especially in low light - give it a try.

5 hours ago, veejaycee said:

I never have sounds on - and I don't know anyone that uses them although some obviously do. If you want fast AF, use boost mode and no image review. Checkout the first comment on the video. It's the image review which slows down the process and AF and causes missed focus. I also find back button faster and more sure, especially in low light - give it a try.

I can tell you who uses the beep sound - idiots!  I once stood next to a "pro" using a very large expensive Nikon DSLR at an event that went "beep beep" every 2 seconds.  After a couple of hours of it, I could have happily used his camera to club him.

12 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Hello Guys !

A few updates, since I realized that I had these problem, I change much more often the AF mode (single, square, wide). I used to shoot a lot with the single point, I almost never do now. I now understand much more when the fuji xt2 struggle to focus. If one uses the wide AF mode, one can see that it can be very silly (never had this problem with X100 first generation)... So I keep changing AF mode depending on the situation. It is very good to learn and "get closer" to its fuji :) I get less blurry pictures now.

About the youtube video/beep/Review : I just had a look about my settings and I don't use the image review BUT when I take a picture using the eyeviewer, if I remove my eye, then the last picture appears on the screen... (!) I don't find any way to remove that. It is not the first time I want to remove that because since I have my focus problems, I prefer to check my pics by zooming in the eyeviewer. Do you have an idea how to remove it ?

@veejaycee : You say that is better and more sure to use the back button. Why do you think it is more sure ? I am going to try to see if I like it. Never tried before. What are the pros and cons ?

Thank you again for sharing and discussing : it is nice to progress all together :)

7 hours ago, razibus said:

Hello Guys !

A few updates, since I realized that I had these problem, I change much more often the AF mode (single, square, wide). I used to shoot a lot with the single point, I almost never do now. I now understand much more when the fuji xt2 struggle to focus. If one uses the wide AF mode, one can see that it can be very silly (never had this problem with X100 first generation)... So I keep changing AF mode depending on the situation. It is very good to learn and "get closer" to its fuji :) I get less blurry pictures now.

About the youtube video/beep/Review : I just had a look about my settings and I don't use the image review BUT when I take a picture using the eyeviewer, if I remove my eye, then the last picture appears on the screen... (!) I don't find any way to remove that. It is not the first time I want to remove that because since I have my focus problems, I prefer to check my pics by zooming in the eyeviewer. Do you have an idea how to remove it ?

@veejaycee : You say that is better and more sure to use the back button. Why do you think it is more sure ? I am going to try to see if I like it. Never tried before. What are the pros and cons ?

Thank you again for sharing and discussing : it is nice to progress all together :)

Hi @razibus, Yes, your first point is good regarding different AF modes for different situations.

Image review may be switched off in the screen setup menu but first - on the right side of the viewfinder hump is the view mode button. Press that to cycle through the view options of evf or LCD or both or eye detect which turns off LCD when you look through the EVF. If you switch off the review you can still press the playback button to review in evf/LCD as necessary but without undue delay when actually shooting. Switching off review and LCD will also save a lot of battery power. I believe in single shot mode the shutter is momentarily delayed if a review is pending but not in continuous mode.

I'm not why the back button focus is more sure but I find it to be so as do others so I can only suggest you try for yourself and make up your own mind. It may be faster because if set to AF only in M mode, it divorces the AF from the exposure which remains on the shutter button. Again, I may be wrong so try for yourself and let us know if you find it faster surer too.

Hi. I'm new to forums so I might be putting this in the wrong place .

With reference to the T2 problem of some lenses creating blurred images or hunting around. I experienced something like this and it was cured if I switched off the function called "Pre Focus"   If this is on, the camera tries to speed up the focus by trying to guess where you will focus and if you are moving the camera about whilst waiting the lens starts to hunt . This seemed to solve my problem when I switched it off,

Regards  KT

• Like 1

Good point ta. I imagine its best use is when panning using CL or CH and CAF. There are lots of little things which can can be turned off or on to help the focus on Fuji cameras. Another is - if you want to shoot single pictures quickly one after another, turn off image review altogether and if you want to chimp just use the playback.

On 9/17/2017 at 1:30 PM, djoep said:

honestly, I think this video is bu****it ;)
There is no logical reason why the trigger for the green focus indicator should be a different one than for the focus-beep. Both indicators are triggered by the same internal mechanism. Actually, the software that decides whether the object in in focus or not.
I tested a few X-T2 and I cannot confirm this behavior! Even my X-T2 which is definitely affected by the AF problem does not show such behavior. Too many shots are still fail-focused, no matter if the beep is switched on or off. Switching the beep of will not change something relevant inside the X-T2´s software, it simple mutes the beep. And this cannot have any effect on the focus behavior. Full stop.
If I do enough "investigations" I may find a correlation between focus quality and the day of week. This will have about the same quality as the focus-beep correlation ;)

As I mentioned above, meanwhile I use MF where ever it´s possible and I´m happy with it since the results are 98% pi-sharp and perfectly focused. Of course this will not work always, sometimes you need AF. I found that it is reliable with longer focal lengths and open apertures (stopped down to not more than 5.6 or so). Knowing these limitations I´m fine with the X-T2. Although it´s still pretty disappointing to have a 1.7k€ camera with an AF that is not working reliable under many real-world conditions. And I don´t think that Fuji will ever fix it. Maybe the X-T3 (if there will be one) or an X-T2s will do better. But after experiences with the AF of the X-T2 (and X-T20) maybe a lot of photographers will not buy it, at least not before its proven that the AF is significantly more reliable.

Daniel

On 9/17/2017 at 6:30 AM, djoep said:

Be forewarned!

There is a huge volume of uboob "sport" videos that are utter and complete fecus taurus.

(sounds nicer than bullshit, doesn't it?).

Sadly, the "comments" often indicate that some viewers are totally conned by video vandalism.

Hi All, I just noticed that when shooting video, with 18-55 on XT2, the footage will be out of focus WHEN zooming in and out in the fast manner, focus mode set on MANUAL, focus sharp before zooming. No problem when zooming slowly. Any one encounter this issue? Please advice, thanks.

p.s. went to the fuji showroom to try another XT-2, XT-20 and X-E3 all having this focus problem.

Chris

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, Chris Ling said:

Hi All, I just noticed that when shooting video, with 18-55 on XT2, the footage will be out of focus WHEN zooming in and out in the fast manner, focus mode set on MANUAL, focus sharp before zooming. No problem when zooming slowly. Any one encounter this issue? Please advice, thanks.

p.s. went to the fuji showroom to try another XT-2, XT-20 and X-E3 all having this focus problem.

Chris

Generally, you cannot manually focus and then zoom - only lenses made specifically for video work ("par focal" lenses) will maintain a consistent focus ring position when zooming.  Most stills photo lenses will shift their focus whilst zooming ("vari focal" lenses) when manually focused - you should zoom to your required focal length and THEN focus manually.  The speed of zooming should make no difference. 

Or use AF - but when you zoom, the camera will need to re-focus, so continuous focus mode is required - in single focus mode, if you have already pre-focused with a half press of the shutter and THEN zoom, you will get the same problem as with manual focusing: out of focus images.

Hi Artuk,

May be I should explain more in detail, first I manually focus on the subject, while I zooming in or out in the fast manner, the image turned completely out of focus while zooming, when I stopped zooming, the image become sharp again (without touching on the focus).

Thank you:)

4 hours ago, Chris Ling said:

Hi Artuk,

May be I should explain more in detail, first I manually focus on the subject, while I zooming in or out in the fast manner, the image turned completely out of focus while zooming, when I stopped zooming, the image become sharp again (without touching on the focus).

Thank you:)

sounds as if you have pre focus enabled.

when you zoom,the camera attempted to focus ( our of focus because you are zooming)

when you stop zooming, camera is able to focus again

On 18/09/2017 at 6:28 PM, veejaycee said:

Hi @razibus, Yes, your first point is good regarding different AF modes for different situations.

Image review may be switched off in the screen setup menu but first - on the right side of the viewfinder hump is the view mode button. Press that to cycle through the view options of evf or LCD or both or eye detect which turns off LCD when you look through the EVF. If you switch off the review you can still press the playback button to review in evf/LCD as necessary but without undue delay when actually shooting. Switching off review and LCD will also save a lot of battery power. I believe in single shot mode the shutter is momentarily delayed if a review is pending but not in continuous mode.

I'm not why the back button focus is more sure but I find it to be so as do others so I can only suggest you try for yourself and make up your own mind. It may be faster because if set to AF only in M mode, it divorces the AF from the exposure which remains on the shutter button. Again, I may be wrong so try for yourself and let us know if you find it faster surer too.

Hello @veejaycee!

I have been using the back button for one month now and I am loving it! For many situations it is very convenient! When high contrast or when I am waiting for my subject to come, this back button is very clever. 

I could not say whether it is quicker or not.