AdamW

ON1 Photo Raw - April 2017 release

Thanks for the link.  

I've already read many reviews online however I could not find any feedback on the new release from the start of this month (April 2017).

I spent an hour with it yesterday (the just released version from start of April 2017) which is version 11.1.0.3608 and it was a pretty big failure. :(

Performance on my old MacBook Air was so bad on a folder with 6 JPGS in it I had to stop using it (when on this laptop LR and PS both work quite well).

Performance on my iMac workhorse was pretty good but when I exported to PS to do some heavy pixel manipulation it did not export to PS with my edits.  You can export with ON1 edits or without, both did the same thing!   Then I exported to JPG my final edit and my JPG export had only 1/2 of the edits I did!?  Plus there were squares on the image where I did cloning  That part was epic failure.  I reported this last issue I had to ON1 via their website.  Because I could not even export the few images I wanted to work on, I ended up going back to LR to continue this small batch of images.

4 hours ago, AdamW said:

Thanks for the link.  

I've already read many reviews online however I could not find any feedback on the new release from the start of this month (April 2017).

I spent an hour with it yesterday (the just released version from start of April 2017) which is version 11.1.0.3608 and it was a pretty big failure. :(

…..

Thanks for the info.  Since I’ve got used to CaptureOne 10, maybe I won’t even attempt to use ON1.  If I do, I will let you know how it performs on my 2013 iMac (3.4GHz i7, 8Gb RAM) - speed and edits and all.  

It seems my copy of ON1 saves and exports the edits without issues.   I exported RAF as JPEG with no edits, then the same file with edits as JPEG, and, finally, the same file as TIFF which was then opened in DXO OpticsPro 11 and exported as JPEG.  I will post the results after I have resized the 3 files to <2Mb.

Several years ago I foolishly purchased and loaded an ON1 photo editing program. It was the worst software mistake I have ever made. The program was so bug ridden and crash prone it was almost unusable and the ON1 company treated their customers as nothing more than spam bait with it seemed almost daily "offers" to upgrade or buy other products but did not respond to any sort of tech question.

i swore then I would never touch another ON1 product regardless of other people's recommendations or reviews and I haven't and won't. 

It seems from the posts above that the quality of ON1 software may not have improved.

ON1 tech support contacted me and asked for more details on my system, for me to send the behind-the-scenes LOG file and detail what I was doing when the problem arose.

They indicated in the email that this is a known bug in the latest release and they are working on it.

AdamW, 

I haven't used the latest version of ON1. I did use the previous one, from December 2016. I found it to be OK for the most part, though it didn't support the XT2 compressed raw import from what I recall. Its algorithms tweaked the files too aggressively though, that is why I didn't pursue it further, it required a level of fine motor skills I couldn't muster. ;)

All the best with your experience, let us know how you make out.