gaopa

Upgrade X-100T to the new X-100F?

I am a very happy user of the X-100T. Is there enough of an upgrade, other than more megapixels, to warrant an upgrade to the newest one? Just wondering.

Rule of thumb. Upgrade every second model.

As the lens hasn't changed you wont get any better image quality you will only get more pixels plus some operational and speed improvements.

You started with "I am very happy" that alone should indicate the answer anyway.

Normally I would agree with what K1W1_Mk2 has said, but I intend getting this camera myself.

As such, I've done what I always do, lots of "research". I bet I've watched every video out there about this camera.

As yet, there aren't that many out there, but I'd suggest you check out both Big Head Taco, and The Angry Photographer, on the X100F.

There are lots of drooling unboxing videoes, plus the Angry Photographer going on a hilarious rant about how good this camera is. There may well be more serious reviews appearing now, as the camera becomes more easily obtainable.

I shall buy it it, because I sold my original X100. about 2 years ago, to finance an X-T1. Not a day has gone by that I haven't wished I still had it. It is a unique camera, and that lens is fine with me, it's some kind of magical.

Whether you should buy it, is another question, one which both these guys, and several other Youtube reviewers I watched, would answer yes, the addition of basically the X-Pro 2's innards, take it into another ball park.

It's now a compact version of the X-Pro 2 with a superbly matched fixed 35mm lens. I'm seriously wondering whether, if I buy the tele, and the wide angle adapters, for the X100F, I will still be bothering with the X-Pro2, as often.

Would it make it redundant I wonder. I have every prime lens, up to 90, (and excluding the new XF 50mm f2,) that Fuji makes. With the fixed 35mm equivalent on the X100, plus the option to pull out an adapter, and do some nice portraits with the 75mm equivalent, or take some bigger landscapes, I'd still have everything covered.

I'd have virtually everything I have now, every shot I could possibly take now (almost), with my full X-Pro 2 rig covered with the camera round my neck, and the adapters in my pockets.

Have to say, that's quite an attractive proposition, as the years roll by, and the beat goes on.

PS What are people's thought's about this? I'm 63, and have acute osteo arthritis. I no longer drive so I cannot physically carry my Camera and 8 primes.

Obviously, I don't take them all everywhere, but with X100, plus both adapters, I'd have a similar sort of range in one small bag. easily transported. This would be useful in things like visits to new towns etc. Where you bot sure what you'll be shooting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnwillyums said:

PS What are people's thought's about this? I'm 63, and have acute osteo arthritis. I no longer drive so I cannot physically carry my Camera and 8 primes.

I think you will enjoy the simplicity and minimal gear, you may even forgo the telephoto lens adapter and utilize the in-camera 'telephoto' cropping feature, if you're already shooting JPG anyways. Do you carry the X-Pro2 with only the 23mm f/2 very often? This is my go-to focal length, I found myself choosing my X100T over my X-T1 and 23mm lens almost every time. Now that I have an X-T2 though, my X100T is feeling sluggish by comparison in AF performance and overall responsiveness. The X100F is a real temptation.

• Like 1

I'm with Christopher. I have both the WCL and TCL and the TCL rarely gets used and that from what i can see is most peoples outcome. The WCL is nice and compact and quite light but the TCL is considerably larger, heavier and to some degree unbalances the camera. If you do a lot of head and shoulders type portraits the TCL would work but in general use with the X100 cameras the WCL seems more attractive to most I certainly use mine a lot for landscape type shots..

WCL

9622825929_b02b3e3476_c.jpg

TCL

14173519632_e82770076e_c.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate your views. Anyway you slice it, our Fuji cameras are fantastic, IMHO.

Hello chaps.

have we all forgot to mention, faster A/F, the A/F point joystick, Acros film simulation, better battery life etc etc

there is an awful lot of change from X100T

Just thought I would throw it out there.

• Like 1

Check your files to see what focal lengths you've used. That should give you an idea of what you can manage with. You can leave bigger gaps in between focal lengths so that (say) 16 + 35 + 55-200 covers you for street and general.

I'm slimming down my own gear because too much of it doesn't get enough use. Unfortunately that means I have to force myself to buy the 16-55 f2.8.

4 hours ago, malboni said:

Hello chaps.

have we all forgot to mention, faster A/F, the A/F point joystick, Acros film simulation, better battery life etc etc

there is an awful lot of change from X100T

Just thought I would throw it out there.

For the style of shooting many people use the X100 cameras for those items would not be game changers. On the X-T series yes definitely but IMO not the X100 series.

I have recently upgraded my X-T1 to an X-T2 and use my X-100T for street photography and a general carry around camera. The X-100T gives me great images. My thought at this point is to stick with what I have.

The "always on lens", on my X-Pro 2 is the 23mm f1.4.

My most used lenses are the 23mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 and 16mm 1.2. I love these focal lengths, and the speed of these lenses enables to take pictures of local bands performing, in gloomy bars, without a flash.

If I get the  X100F, I'm not sure that will be able to compete with the X-Pro+fast primes, on those kind of shoots.

What do people think, as I say I currently use the "holy trinity", of fast primes for these kinds of rock gig photography.

I normally shoot Acros plus RAW, and find that is improving my work flow, many of the jpgs come out of the camera ready to go.

So, do people think I will be able to do that with the X100F? I know it is F2, and effectively slower than the three primes, but I normally find that a lot of bands use coloured lighting, so I have some wriggle room on the exposure. I don't always have to be wide open.

I shall get the X100 regardless, as I feel it is the only camera for street photography, especially the silver/black version.

I shall be a harmless old guy with a vintage looking camera, taking harmless snapshots, rather than an incisive reportage photographer, staring post democracy straight in the face ;-)

As we speak, a copy of the 90mm is winging it's way to me, then I shall have every Fuji prime, apart from the 18mm and the 35mm F1.4. I'm looking forward to feeling it, in my hands, and putting it on my camera and going shooting.

At the same time I'm just started to think about a smaller, much lighter, kit, based around the X100F.

This is a decision I can avoid, I'm retired now, and I don't need to sell any of my X-Pro 2 rig to finance this.

However, I shall see whet happens, it would be a shame to sit on all that good glass and not use it. What do other people think, will the X100F at F2 give me good band shots (of our local Black Sabbath tribute band "Slack Babbath") under gig lights?

For the bands I'd still use the X-Pro2 and fast primes. Not only do you have a little more leeway in exposure but much more leeway in focal length.

For street - well FWIW I consider the Xpro2 with 23mm f1.4 (or 16mm lens) is an X100F  - with bells on!

Sure, if you have the money then indulge yourself but the X100F is by no means a "must have" for that situation.