RobinK

Pin-point Focus Size Selection on XT2

Hi,

I am a refugee from Panasonic having decided to chase image quality with an XT2, an XF 18 - 55mm and a Distagon 2.8/12mm.  A big learning curve with the different menu setup and the truly incredible variety of options.  Have owned the camera for 3 days and have still not fired a single shot!  Thought I should get my head around it before chasing images as if I do that straight away I will never get into the detail of operating the camera.  I have successfully installed Firmware Ver. 2.  and have two problems. 

1. I am not able to get the split image focus aid to work, but the peaking does work, and

2. The 'Detail of the update' with the Firmware, Item 9, states that the Focus Point size in Single Point AF can be adjusted to any one of six sizes.  I wish to set the smallest but cannot find a menu that gives the 6 options to change the focus point size

I give fair warning to the XT2 community that I expect to be posting plenty of queries when I get stuck with unraveling this new challenge and hope you will bear with me.

Best to all

RobinK

Split image focussing does not work anywhere near as well on a digital EVF as it did on old SLR cameras. Basically the only time it works with any degree of certainty is if you are focussing on a clearly defined vertical such as the edge of a wall or a lamp post. I don't know of anybody who owns a Fuji camera who uses split image focussing after they have tried it once. You will most likely find that for manual focussing focus peaking works much better in the X-T2.

On the X-T1 you go to menu page 4, MF Assist and then select from Standard, Digital Split image or Focus peak (with colour choices). I would have assumed that the X-T2 would be set up in a similar way. If you are in some of the bracketing modes you will not be able to select the focus style. Generally when you cannot select something on a Fuji it is because you have something else set that is excluding that menu option.

• Like 2

You make a good point. Having just purchased the camera I was wanting to see split image in action. I doubt I would ever use it. Thanks for your input. 

Thanks K1W1.

I still have my XT1 and Split image does work reasonably well.

With my XT2 I can get a result if I frame  a clearly defined vertical. On an indoor shot I used the Door frame.

It appears marginally better with power boost activated, which tweaks the viewfinder refresh rate, but would definitely be in the group who wouldnt use it.

Hopefully Fuji will address this

9 hours ago, RobinK said:

You make a good point. Having just purchased the camera I was wanting to see split image in action. I doubt I would ever use it. Thanks for your input. 

That certainly does not mean you should not be at least able to try it for yourself but I wouldn't get too hung up about it. As I said if you can't select it the probable answer is that you have something else activated that excludes that option. The problem is the Fuji are not very good at telling users what actions affect other actions so you sort of have to figure everything out for yourself. Usual causes for functions not working are bracketing modes or in camera effects (toy mode et al) being selected. Electronic shutter is another trap and frankly should be turned off permanently IMO unless you have a specific reason to need to use it.

Thanks K1W1.  I am finding that there is a lot of 'between the lines' with the camera/manual.  I have just discovered that I cannot select image ratios if I shoot in RAW alone, and I only shoot RAW.  I don't really want to fill up cards/hard drive with jpegs that I don't use.  Whilst I can crop to 1:1 in LR it is the viewfinder view that is important to me if I opt for 1:1.  Too late now and I will just have to live with it. 

I have been a user of the LX series of Panasonic Lumix cameras and my latest is the LX100.  I moved to the XT2 for the sensor size.  The LX100 is a 12mp unit as it has a 4:3 sensor but the APC on the XT2 obviously gathers more data.  That said, feature wise  and ease of use I far prefer the LX!00.  I hope I am swayed by expected improved image quality out of the XT2.

5 hours ago, RobinK said:

I am finding that there is a lot of 'between the lines' with the camera/manual.  I have just discovered that I cannot select image ratios if I shoot in RAW alone, and I only shoot RAW.  I don't really want to fill up cards/hard drive with jpegs that I don't use.  Whilst I can crop to 1:1 in LR it is the viewfinder view that is important to me if I opt for 1:1.  Too late now and I will just have to live with it. 

It surprises me to hear that on the Panasonic you can have Raw in any configuration other than native sensor dimensions. On Fujis Raw is Raw and it is always the full sensor resolution and dimensions.

The easy work around is just shoot Raw+Jpeg and then select 1:1 as the image ratio and you will get the square view in the EVF or on the LCD. Don't import the jpegs just delete them off the card after import of the Raws. It is a work around not a fix and the other thing to keep in mind is that the imported Raw will be 3x2 so you will need to crop again in LR.

3 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

It surprises me to hear that on the Panasonic you can have Raw in any configuration other than native sensor dimensions. On Fujis Raw is Raw and it is always the full sensor resolution and dimensions.

The easy work around is just shoot Raw+Jpeg and then select 1:1 as the image ratio and you will get the square view in the EVF or on the LCD. Don't import the jpegs just delete them off the card after import of the Raws. It is a work around not a fix and the other thing to keep in mind is that the imported Raw will be 3x2 so you will need to crop again in LR.

Agreed. XT2 has 2 card slots so set one for one raw and one for jpg and delete the jpgs.

4 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Agreed. XT2 has 2 card slots so set one for one raw and one for jpg and delete the jpgs.

Just found out that the camera won't capture photons if the jpeg slot is empty (the raw slot has a card)

I do not think this is correct. I have a card in slot 1 and slot 2 empty and have been taking RAWs and jpegs.

19 hours ago, richoff said:

Just found out that the camera won't capture photons if the jpeg slot is empty (the raw slot has a card)

You have probably told the camera to save RAW to slot 1 and Jpeg to slot 2. In those circumstances I'm sure the camera will object. If you just change the saving to sequential with slot 1 as the first slot it will save all images to the card in slot 1 until its full and ignore slot 2.

4 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

You have probably told the camera to save RAW to slot 1 and Jpeg to slot 2. In those circumstances I'm sure the camera will object. If you just change the saving to sequential with slot 1 as the first slot it will save all images to the card in slot 1 until its full and ignore slot 2.

You nailed it, that is my "setting"... easy firmware change I would think, not that its really that important tho.

9 hours ago, richoff said:

You nailed it, that is my "setting"... easy firmware change I would think, not that its really that important tho.

Sorry but no firmware change is required, You the user told the camera you wanted to save images to both slots. The camera was only trying to do what you told it to do. If you don't want to save to both slots you change the setting. How could that possibly be Fujis fault or require a firmware fix?

I guess then, that the camera brain is not smart enough to say; "hmm, the raw card is missing, so I'll just send the JPEG to the jpeg card/slot".