Hello everyone. 

Just came back from a trip, and going thru my images taken with the X100F I was very surprised by some of the Auto ISO values it had chosen! I almost always have ISO set to Auto, with a default sensitivity of 200 (natch) and a max of 12800, for night shooting. 

HOWEVER - the camera has repeatedly chosen the highest ISO setting possible, 12800, in broad daylight. Yes, indoors, but in windows with sunlight, and brightly-lit rooms with natural light. This is very confusing to me as there is absolutely no need for the camera to chose more than, say max 800 ISO in these situations. 

Well, I'm going to set it to "AUTO 2" more often, same default, but 6800 Max. 

Just curious what you make of this conundrum?

Cheers, O. 

ps. Attached image is just by a window in sunlight - the camera chose ISO 12800! :)

DSCF5819.jpg

The EXIF says: Aperture priority, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/120 s, ISO 12800.

Is your minimum shutter speed set to 1/120 s? Check the ND filter is not on. 

• Like 1

Also, what is your dynamic range set to? Judging by the shadows under the menu and on her face, that doesn't look like 100% to me. If you have it set to Auto or 400% that could be costing you a couple of stops worth of ISO. 

• Like 1

and understand that the camera will ALWAYS push the iso up first to preserve shutter speed.

Setting a default high iso to 12800 is somewhat crazy you would be far better to set the default to something like 3200 and the manually push it up if and when you need to. The only time you would want an iso that high by default is if you shoot exclusively in low light.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! This has been very instructive for me. What do you recommend the best DR setting to be? 100%

Cheers, o. 

3 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

and understand that the camera will ALWAYS push the iso up first to preserve shutter speed.

Setting a default high iso to 12800 is somewhat crazy you would be far better to set the default to something like 3200 and the manually push it up if and when you need to. The only time you would want an iso that high by default is if you shoot exclusively in low light.

Yeah, sorry maybe I said it wrong. Default was at 200. MAX was at 12800 ISO. (Have changed this down to 6400). 

o. 

1 hour ago, Zaltin said:

Thanks guys! This has been very instructive for me. What do you recommend the best DR setting to be? 100%

I leave my most used custom settings at DR100% specifically to avoid the situation you encountered, and will switch it when needed. Obviously indoors you may want to change it to have more shadow detail, but that can incur a tradeoff of high ISOs as in your shot. Outdoors, you may want to up the DR to capture more architectural details without blowing out the sky for example, and in that case the ISO may not matter much as it will likely still be pretty low. I still just leave my defaults at 100 though.

Now.. The CORRECT response is:  Check the button setting for AE/AF Lock Mode in Set Up...  If it's on "S" then Auto ISO goes to the highest setting, and stays there.  If you Change the Button to "P", the Auto ISO setting will adjust properly -- The viewfinder, will however, display the ISO # you have Auto 1, 2, and 3 set on before you push the Shutter button down 1/2 way to set the exposure.

If you want to use AE Lock set to "S",  then Don't use Auto ISO....

Thanks for that insight,  Rob.   I just did a quick test to verify the P / S effect on Auto ISO, and it behaves as you described. With S selected, auto iso goes to the right to high limit.  I'm still new with the camera and didn't notice that happening after I set the AE/AF lock mode to S.  I always use aperture priority, so for me, auto iso then becomes similar to a manual setting but maybe having three preset choices is a little quicker than spinning the iso dial.     

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, Rob Follett said:

Now.. The CORRECT response is:  Check the button setting for AE/AF Lock Mode in Set Up...  If it's on "S" then Auto ISO goes to the highest setting, and stays there.  If you Change the Button to "P", the Auto ISO setting will adjust properly -- The viewfinder, will however, display the ISO # you have Auto 1, 2, and 3 set on before you push the Shutter button down 1/2 way to set the exposure.

If you want to use AE Lock set to "S",  then Don't use Auto ISO....

I don't understand your answer.

I thought the AE/AF lock mode settings determined if you lock the AE or AF or both when the button was pressed and held, or when the button was pressed once to lock and then pressed again to unlock?

What is it when it's set to "S" and why would this make a very high ISO to be used? (Unless locking a very dark exposure which requires very high ISO)

The P and S work as advertised. p locks while pressed. S locks with one press and unlocks with the second press.   But the effect on auto iso seems bizarre. Why would locking focus force auto iso to its high limit?  That would seem to be a firmware bug. I wonder if that was present from the beginning with auto iso, or if it appeared when newer cameras offered 3 ranges of auto iso.  Does this happen on all the X cameras?

7 hours ago, LynnwoodRick said:

The P and S work as advertised. p locks while pressed. S locks with one press and unlocks with the second press.   But the effect on auto iso seems bizarre. Why would locking focus force auto iso to its high limit?  That would seem to be a firmware bug. I wonder if that was present from the beginning with auto iso, or if it appeared when newer cameras offered 3 ranges of auto iso.  Does this happen on all the X cameras?

You have confirmed my understanding of how it works.

mode of the button should in no way affect the results - press and hold and press once to lock should give the same exposure on the same scene.

if one mode drives up ISO then indeed it is yet another bug.

there is already an issue with ev lock (Pres to lock, when the button is configured to lock exposure only, not af too) - it disabled the ability to move the af point around the frame. I reported it to Fuji over 4 years ago but rumour was that a firmware architecture issue prevented their ability to fix.

I hope for your sake ev lock single doesn't have this bizarre effect on iso

Do you perhaps have spot metering selected and in the menus another setting to combine AE spot metering with the focus point?

3 minutes ago, veejaycee said:

Do you perhaps have spot metering selected and in the menus another setting to combine AE spot metering with the focus point?

The shouldn't really be driving ISO very high, with a high-ish shutter speed, and producing "correct" exposures. 

If spot metering was biasing the exposure incorrectly, I would expect the results to be dramatically over exposed (due to dark spot meter area making the exposure very bright by using high ISO).