elandel

X-PRO HEAVY GAS ATTACK

Hi all. I'M new to this forum and writing from Italy. I have an X-T1 and X-T20 but The more I look at it the more I'M intrigued by the X-Pros (xpro2 is out of my budget and not necessary for me). I really would like to get an xpro but wondering if it is worth it. I mean is the IQ and handling the same as the xt1? I'M asking because I read mixed feelings about it.

I would use it mainly with primes and for travel.

I guess it's just gas but it takes me in a way I cannot explain. 

• Like 2

I was an early adopter of the X-Pro1 then bought an XT1 which was my action camera. I now have an XT2. I would have preferred an XP2 but I also wanted the larger viewfinder and tilt screen (I don't bend easily). However, after handling the multi-featured XT2 and working out how to set the auto features, then to override the parameters I realised why I love the simplicity of my X-Pro1. Forget speed settings, the pro isn't fast enough for serious stuff. Keep it for street and general shooting and as a second body for when a 2 camera 2 lens setup is necessary (events etc).

As a result, and for those reasons I'm selling the XT1 and keeping my XP1.

I'm not sure you will make use of it when you have two other bodies though. Whichever way you look at it, one body will always be left at home.

However, I would not talk anyone out of buying an X-pro1. If you pick one up, you'll probably not put it down.

Vic

I understand your feelings. It's a love affair with xp1 so I think I'll just get one, used maybe then decide if/or I will sell another body.

2 hours ago, elandel said:

I understand your feelings. It's a love affair with xp1 so I think I'll just get one, used maybe then decide if/or I will sell another body.

At least, if you buy a used one you won't lose much - if anything.

I have an X-T1 and recently bought a nice second hand X Pro1 for silly money when the X Pro2 came out. When I take both cameras out, I use the X Pro for short zoom shooting and the X T1 with the 100-400 zoom. It saves swapping lenses all the time. 

I occasionally use my XP1 with both XF zooms but it is much more enjoyable to use with primes - especially for street style. I'm about to sell my 18-55mm to offset the cost of my recently purchased 16-55 f2.8.R  No doubt I shall miss the smaller zoom and its OIS at some stage but I only used OIS for very low light handheld shots at the wide end and even then one is dependent on there being no movement within the scene where a fast prime is needed so I'll use my primes and accept that no lens - or even two or three lenses and tripod - can cope with low light, movement and good DoF without the use of flash and loss of ambience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elandel said:

Xpro1 and 18mm just arrived.

Enjoy it, you will find a difference in handling and if you wear glasses, you may need a diopter lens for the viewfinder. Fuji don't make them anymore but the Nikon series of diopters fit. I found mine on eBay.  

New to the forum, Hi, long time Nikon user and just bought an X pro 2 last month with the 35mm lens I love the Fuji system. A little learning curve but a really FUN camera!

• Like 1

You're going to love it @Br2! It's hard to imagine life without that new electronic viewfinder, right? Whenever I pick up a DSLR now that optical view feels so lacking.

@elandel how are you liking the X-Pro1 so far?

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

You're going to love it @Br2! It's hard to imagine life without that new electronic viewfinder, right? Whenever I pick up a DSLR now that optical view feels so lacking.

Hi. I love it so fare Even with it's quirks. I bought The 10-24 and is too wide for the xpro1's OVF but Ivan Live with it.

I love UWA.

• Like 1

Fantastic, that's great to hear! The 10-24 is a lens I have yet to experience, I should rent one some time. Were you able to find a good deal on it? My 14mm prime is my widest angle currently.

Yes I got a very good deal. Bought it used in mint condition with 1 year warranty. 10mm is very wide but gives you great opportunities.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, Christopher said:

I absolutely love this little rangefinder! I am so glad I pulled the trigger on it. I just received delivery on the 18-55mm kens today. I hope to get out with it this weekend and seriously try it out!!

• Like 1

One of my favorite lenses! I actually prefer it over my 16-55mm f/2.8, it's always sharp and quick to focus, never seems to miss. I kind of regret the 16-55mm to be honest, it has let me down too many times. 

The 18-55 is one of the best lens and one of the most underrated. It's a little jewel, fast, accurate and sharp.

I forgot to say my setup is: 18-55; 10-24;18-135.

11 hours ago, Christopher said:

One of my favorite lenses! I actually prefer it over my 16-55mm f/2.8, it's always sharp and quick to focus, never seems to miss. I kind of regret the 16-55mm to be honest, it has let me down too many times. 

To be fair Chris, the 16-55 f2.8  lens didn't let you down - rather the reverse. The 16-55 f2.8 has fastest AF after 90mm f2. I think what happens is, users  - even we older users - can become unconsciously reliant on OIS and on bringing the camera to the eye pressing the shutter and down again too quickly. The tried and tested firm stance and correct grip of camera and supported lens will get you a sharp picture. When it comes to lens sharpness, the 18-55mm OIS is excellent but in lens tests it is a beer bottle by comparison to the 16-55mm which nearly reaches the same heady heights of Lpm as the Fuji champion - 90mm f2 (Lenstip reviews). I think the 18-55 is stretched a little by the new sensor - still capable but close to its limit maybe. As good as the 18-55 is, I always felt I was taking a hit by not using primes - It cannot replace my primes IQ wise. Not so the 16-55mm f2.8, the first zoom I've used (inc Nikon 24-70 f2.8) that has comparable IQ to my primes apart from the f1.4 max apertures. It's not just the edge sharpness - which most people see in an image (and can be overdone) - it's the clarity of fine detail from the 16-55 that sets it apart. I've not used the 18-55 since I bought the 16-55 and even my primes are gathering dust until I need the low light, movement stopping or narrow DoF characteristics provided by their 2X faster aperture - I have missed them a little so I'll give them an outing soon.

As an aside, the new 50mm f2 has become the new champion for Lpm with the caveat that Lenstip tests were previously made on an XE1 for regularity while the 50mm f2 was tested on their new setup of XT2 after realising that the 16-55 and 90mm f2 were on the limits of XE1 sensor resolution - all the same, it shows how sharp the new 50mm f2 is.

On 7/20/2017 at 8:51 PM, Christopher said:

It was a real toss up between the two. What pushed me to the 18-55 was the image stabilization, a feature that was key for me.