Hey y'all,

I was shopping around and noticed the rediculous low prices on the Xe1 used market and was wondering who here still uses an Xe1? 

I used to own one but sold it right when the X-T1 was released. 

Although the Xe1 served me well the T1 was leaps better. 

But now I'm thinking of picking up a E1 since they are selling for so low. 

Has the latest firrmware updates affected the performance(not sure what version it's up to)?

And would you still recommend it or is it worth spending the extra couple hundred for a second hand Xe2?

Anyways would love to hear from you E1 users out there if there are any.

Take care! 

I still have one, along with an original X100, X10 and X-Pro1. They have all improved over the years with firmware updates and all focus fast enough for my uses. The pictures they produce are what's important and to me they all produce great images. I have been a Fuji user since 2011 and have a feeling that each iteration of the Fuji range does suffer from the law of diminishing returns. 

To sum up, the X-E1 is still a great camera and would be a bargain if you can get one for a low price.

• Like 1

I have an X-E1. It is my only camera now as my x100 (THE Original one), has gone to my daughter who is working overseas. The x100 is a reliable workhorse for her and has served her well for many years now. But back to my X-E1. The biggest limitation is how slow the viewfinder takes to refresh. To overcome this when taking portraits, I set it to 3ps and blaze away. It is not too good shooting into the sun (as the viewfinder doesn't cope that well), but I'm inclined to do this regularly due to the quality of the Fuji glass that copes really well. But it does good panoramas. The other limitation is that it still tends to focus on the background, not the object or face. I often put it into manual to overcome this frustration.

I use the 14mm, 23 f1.4 and the 50-140 f2.8. Occasionally I also use the 18-55. When I purchased it, the camera was $1,200 Aust dollars and included the kit zoom - which at the time was selling for about $750 I think, so the body cost $450. The X-E2 had been released so it was about $150 cheaper than the combination of the E2 and kit lens. It has been really reliable. No problems at all. I often use it in national parks on 3 to 4 day walks. Lack of weather sealing has not been a problem. I use a plastic bag or wear it under my large bushwalking coat. 

Towards the end of the year I intend upgrading to the T2 and purchasing a 50 f2.0 at the same time. My intention is to carry only the 14, 23 and the 50 walking. I used to use more of the features like the customised menus and settings on the x100 than on the X-E1. Not sure why, but with only the one lens, one body on the x100, I learnt to use every possible feature to make it work as my camera. I used the x100 for 18 months before buying the X-E1. I haven't regretted it, but would like the quicker refresh rate and better focusing ability which the new 24 mp provides on the T2.

I've noticed that most of the failures to take a decent picture with the X-E1 are not due to the camera, but the operator not being in the mental space of thinking about what he is doing at the time. I have considered buying the new X100F but have decided not to at this stage as I like the flexibility which interchangeable lens provide. Another consideration is that I think it is easier to swap a lens on the X-E1 or T2, than screw on the two lens which make the x100F function as 18 mm or 35 mm. 

Panorama 3 smaller.jpg

• Like 1

I still have and still use my XE1, my first xcam.

I bought it with the excellent 18-55..

During a recent visit from my daughter and son-in-law and their 6-year-old twin boys

i used the XE1/18-55, XM1/27, and my X100S.

The XE1 is still a good model and could be a good buy used. 

• Like 1

I have a second-hand XE1 for which I paid very little and had converted to infra-red. Use it quite often with 10-24mm lens. The results are fine. For me, it complements my other Fujis (X100F, X-Pro1 and X-T2) nicely although not all of my lenses are suited to IR work.

• Like 1

I have two of them, one with 18-55mm and the other with 14mm, both with MHG-XE grips. It makes for a light traveling kit with no bother with changing lenses in the field and associated sensor dust worries.

• Like 1

I have 2 XE1, bought the last one for 150€ in very good condition. Yes, the finder could be better, but for me the upgrade to the XE2 isn't worth the extra money. These days the XE1 is a real bargain, as is the XA1 which I bought for 100€. I use the XE1 for general photography with theXC16-50mm and the XF27mm and the XA1 for "scanning" my negatives with an adapted old Pentax macro lens.

• Like 1

Still got one, use it all the time, great camera.  Thought about selling it, but prices are so low I keep and use it as my "beater".

Still using it. People might complain about the lack of speed in focusing and its accuracy, but tonight editing pictures in LR and SilkyPix Raw File Converter - is slower than the camera. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeoffC said:

Hands up. But I've had it converted to IR 590nm. XE-2 is now my main camera.

Mine too and sometimes I wish I had an ordinary XE1 as a second body to my XT2. XE1 is much lighter than XP1 when it's being used as a backup.

My used XE-1 was my first (and to date only) foray into interchangeable lens Fujis. I'm very impressed with it but I'm primarily a landscape shooter who used 4x5 back in the day so I've got all day for slow refresh rates and/or focusing.  :-)  That said, I got a lot of excellent shots at my nephew's wedding a couple of weeks ago using the XE-1 and the 18-55 with an EF-20 flash and a fill card.

Like several here, I've got the 14 and the 18-55 and find it a nice system. I may follow Dan's lead (that's a good idea...) and get a second one so I can walk around and not change lenses but I've also considered getting an XT-1 and the 55-200 so I've got some longer - if less frequently used - glass. Just in case, you know. As you can see, I'm done being on the bleeding edge of technology.

I have an XT20 and an X100S and an XM1.

My XE1 is still my standard unswapped platform for the 18-55.

At some time I might look for a deal on an XE2 because of more advanced firmware

I've read about here.   

Several weeks ago I bought a second hand XF 18 mm f2.0. It gave the camera a new lease of life. I much prefer using the primes at the moment on it and I'm still learning things about the camera which are buried deep within its menus. 

• Like 1

The 18mm seems to be like Marmite (Vegemite). You either love it or hate it. In my case it was the latter - well not hate - I maybe had a poor copy but it answered the description given by all other Fuji 18mm f2 dislikers and then some. Soft for 15% - 20% from either side of frame until f4 and sharp across frame until f5.6. Maybe I'd have accepted that had the 18mm end of the 18-55 zoom not been plainly better (not perfect) at wider apertures.

It's a shame because the 18mm f2 has everything going for it in other ways. Uncomplicated to use like all primes, fast AF, compact and discrete, especially when attached to an XE1/2 b ut comments such as good for street don't wash if you use it for anything else and for that matter, even in street photography (maybe especially in street photography), one doesn't always want the subject dead center and a soft main subject is not ideal.

I was also spoiled by owing the 14mm and 23mm, both of which found more favour with me.

Above should read "not sharp across frame until f5.6"

2 hours ago, veejaycee said:

The 18mm seems to be like Marmite (Vegemite). You either love it or hate it. In my case it was the latter - well not hate - I maybe had a poor copy but it answered the description given by all other Fuji 18mm f2 dislikers and then some. Soft for 15% - 20% from either side of frame until f4 and sharp across frame until f5.6. Maybe I'd have accepted that had the 18mm end of the 18-55 zoom not been plainly better (not perfect) at wider apertures.

It's a shame because the 18mm f2 has everything going for it in other ways. Uncomplicated to use like all primes, fast AF, compact and discrete, especially when attached to an XE1/2 b ut comments such as good for street don't wash if you use it for anything else and for that matter, even in street photography (maybe especially in street photography), one doesn't always want the subject dead center and a soft main subject is not ideal.

I was also spoiled by owing the 14mm and 23mm, both of which found more favour with me.

By all reviews I've read, your experience is consistent with others.

I have no interest in that FL for my use but I'm glad it's on the short end of the 18-55

if rarely needed. 

Here is an example of the 18 mm. I found the issue of flares in the lens a bit of a problem shooting into the sun which is less the case on the 14 mm and 23 mm f.4. Given the subject matter, sharpness is not the main issue.5952146e01652_Crossing4Smaller.jpg.5f080fdc553b0240270550c94e3bc78e.jpg