Archie

X100F: Issue with OVF manual focus distance

I just got an X100F, and set it up for the way I shoot street photographs: auto ISO; shutter 1/250s; aperture f/8; and manual focus distance set to hyperfocal distance - about 11feet (approx 3.4m).

Using the OVF, the focus distance marker nudges upwards every time I press the shutter release (or even half press it), so that in about five presses it's nearly up to 15feet (about 4.5m)

Remember, this is on MANUAL focus - so pressing the shutter release should not change the focus distance at all.

This only happens with the OVF: the focus distance indicator on the EVF and LCD stays in the chosen position.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? (Grateful for any feedback about whether this is a firmware fault - I've upgraded to latest firmware.)

Does the focus distance actually change? I mean, if you continue to take photos do they become progressively more out of focus?

1 hour ago, veejaycee said:

Does the focus distance actually change? I mean, if you continue to take photos do they become progressively more out of focus?

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I don't think the plane of focus actually moves.

I suspect it's just the indicator bar on the focus distance scale that's shifting - which is why I think it might be a firmware bug. But if others are not seeing this issue with the same settings as I describe, the firmware theory may not be right, and the problem may be with this particular camera.

this was a known issue with X system ILCs with one particular firmware update that introduced a bug, that was later updated to fix. In MF mode, the focus distance slowly moved every time the shutter was half pressed (I seem to remember it moved to minimum).  Do some proper testing, as if you can recreate it then it needs to be reported to Fuji again.

19 minutes ago, artuk said:

Do some proper testing, as if you can recreate it then it needs to be reported to Fuji again.

I understand from Fuji Tech Support that Fuji knows about the issue and is working on a firmware update; but there's no release date yet. (Firmware 1.01 didn't fix it. If anything, I suspect it made the problem worse.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Archie said:

I understand from Fuji Tech Support that Fuji knows about the issue and is working on a firmware update; but there's no release date yet. (Firmware 1.01 didn't fix it. If anything, I suspect it made the problem worse.)

sorry to hear that. I hope the next firmware version doesn't take too long to be available. Speaking plainly, they really need to get on top of these issues, as they seem to keep having these types of problems, and although some may regard them as "minor" it shows a poor quality control process for software.

hope you get a resolution quickly. I assume the work around is to constantly adjust the focus distance manually before every shot?

1 hour ago, artuk said:

I assume the work around is to constantly adjust the focus distance manually before every shot?

The focal plane isn't actually changing, so you could just keep shooting. The trouble in practice is that even wtih my other Fujis (X-Pro1s / X100s) when shooting manual focus at the hyperfocal distance, it's easy to accidentally knock the focus ring - but with the X100F playing up, you can't be sure whether you've done that, or the camera has changed the marker position while you weren't looking! ;)

from the release notes on 1.01

> The phenomenon is fixed that in MF mode, a focus can shift in a specified condition (ex. repeated CL shooting).

Have you gotten a name for the issue from Fuji? What are they calling it?

44 minutes ago, sweeze said:

No, sorry, I haven't. I call it 'Focus Distance creep', but I've no idea whether there's an official Fuji description.

19 hours ago, sweeze said:

from the release notes on 1.01

> The phenomenon is fixed that in MF mode, a focus can shift in a specified condition (ex. repeated CL shooting).

that wording says the focus distance changes.

Archie reports the scale changes but the distance is the same.

maybe they fixed one thing and not the other, or introduced a new issue...?

1 hour ago, artuk said:

that wording says the focus distance changes.

Archie reports the scale changes but the distance is the same.

maybe they fixed one thing and not the other, or introduced a new issue...?

Mmm... The Fuji wording looks to be a rather ambiguous translation from the Japanese. I wouldn't want to put money on the exact meaning of the statement either way.

As for myself, I was noticing the phenomenon of the focus distance indicator in the OVF nudging upwards when I pressed or half-pressed the shutter release when the camera was in Manual Focus mode. But I noticed this when I was shooting at the hyperfocal distance and at f/8. It didn't seem to me that the focus in the images changed; but the depth of field under those settings is at its maximum, so I could be wrong about that.

I have since seen reports of exctly the same phenomenon happening with X-Pro2 cameras when paired with some (but, apparently, not all) lenses, and some people discussing this say that the plane of focus does actually change. See, for example, this thread:

http://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/5086-xpro2-firmware-problem-af-is-happening-in-mf-mode/

My camera is with Fuji, so someone else may be able to test what actually happens to the plane of focus.

But I've had conversations with Fuji tech support guys, and they say the Fuji engineers in Japan are working on a fix.

I've just received the replacement X100F, which has firmware 1.01. You won't be surprised to hear that the new camera has exactly the same focus-distance creep when using manual focus with the OVF as the last one did. But I've discovered a temporary fix that works for now. If you turn on the OVF focus preview (the little 'EVF' rectangle at the bottom right of the OVF), the focus distance stays fixed where you put it when you press the shutter release.

Let's hope the Fuji engineers build a firmware fix soon!

From Fuji rumours expected FW update.

Fujifilm just released new firmware that fixes the following issues:

• The phenomenon is fixed that in the MF mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point under a specific exposure condition.
  • The phenomenon is fixed that in the AF-S mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point with SHUTTER AF setting OFF.

http://www.fujirumors.com/firmware-updates-fujifilm-gfx-50s-x-pro2-x-t2-x-t20-x100f-available/

On 7/14/2017 at 2:14 PM, Archie said:

I've just received the replacement X100F, which has firmware 1.01. You won't be surprised to hear that the new camera has exactly the same focus-distance creep when using manual focus with the OVF as the last one did. But I've discovered a temporary fix that works for now. If you turn on the OVF focus preview (the little 'EVF' rectangle at the bottom right of the OVF), the focus distance stays fixed where you put it when you press the shutter release.

Let's hope the Fuji engineers build a firmware fix soon!

See above post re FW

8 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Fujifilm just released new firmware that fixes the following issues:

• The phenomenon is fixed that in the MF mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point under a specific exposure condition.
  • The phenomenon is fixed that in the AF-S mode, repeated halfway shutter pressing can shift the focus point with SHUTTER AF setting OFF.

Yes, @veejaycee is right: firmware 1.02 fixes this issue, which is a great relief. Well done, Fuji, for fixing this problem with X100F and X-Pro2 cameras. :)