Jump to content
veejaycee

Lexar to cease production of memory cards?

Recommended Posts

artuk   
7 hours ago, veejaycee said:

I heard this last week in a discussion on DearSusan about where the industry is going.  The problem with making products like flash memory for consumers is that the market and technology moves so fast that I think by the time you get a product to market, the retail price has dropped and the consumer wants more for the dame price. It's a shame as the cards have been very reliable and well priced for their specification. Still, perhaps there will be a few bargains if retailers clear out their stock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a bummer, they were cheaper than the Sandisk cards (for the same ballpark r/w speed) and were good enough for my use. We may now have higher prices for pro level cards. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk   
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, raagamuffin said:

This is a bummer, they were cheaper than the Sandisk cards (for the same ballpark r/w speed) and were good enough for my use. We may now have higher prices for pro level cards. 

 

there are several quality card brands cheaper than Sandisk - Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, Kingston spring to mind - plus a number of other less well known brands that make good cards - PNY, Transcend for example. I would recommend buying from a reputable source as there are a lot of fakes around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the value of them but I've had terrible luck with Lexar SD cards in the last year, their plastic casing is micro-thin and they've all broken apart on me. I'm still surprised they're calling it quits, but prices really have plummeted in the last few years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk   
41 minutes ago, Christopher said:

I loved the value of them but I've had terrible luck with Lexar SD cards in the last year, their plastic casing is micro-thin and they've all broken apart on me. I'm still surprised they're calling it quits, but prices really have plummeted in the last few years. 

That's worrying - I've had several of their low to medium tier cards and always been quite satisfied (no problems).

Samsung cards are very good value in the UK, although strangely some.of their older cards offer better performance then their newer ones! They seem to change the specs about once a year.

I've had bad experiences with Transcend flash memory, and the jury is out on PNY as I have a card that is behaving strangely on odd occasions.

Samsung have always had bullet proof reliability for me.

the news report states that Lexars parent makes most of their revenue from large contracts with companies such as cloud computing suppliers, so I guess it's purely that its not worth the effort for a relatively small part of your business. memory being a consumable has prices in constant decline and specs constantly on the rise - it's a tough market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some issues with Lexar cards (some plastic stuff ffalls off), but compared to the Sandisk it was cheaper; so far those issues haven't affected its usability and performance. I haven't had the best of luck with Transcend. PNY and Kingston performed OK, but I feel its slower than advertised (maybe its just perception, I haven't run any tests on it). 

I haven't seen Samsung, Panasonic or Toshiba cards here in the US (Amazon or BH for example). I have used Sony cards and they are quite good (actually I like all of Sony's products that I have purchased/used) , but it is pricey. 

I guess choices are limited for us in the US.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk   
1 hour ago, raagamuffin said:

I haven't had the best of luck with Transcend. PNY and Kingston performed OK, but I feel its slower than advertised (maybe its just perception, I haven't run any tests on it). 

I haven't seen Samsung, Panasonic or Toshiba cards here in the US (Amazon or BH for example). I have used Sony cards and they are quite good (actually I like all of Sony's products that I have purchased/used) , but it is pricey. 

I guess choices are limited for us in the US.

 

when buying cards, remember that the quoted speeds are often READ speeds, not write speeds. The write speed standards for SD cards are quite conservative (E.g. Class 10 means it can writ at 10mb/s, hardly fast), so.its always worth checking the manufacturers specifications, or trying to find reviews. Storagereview.com is good but they don't test all cards, obviously.  I'm surprised Samsung aren't available in the USA, they are widely available online in thr UK.  As an example of.speeds, I have some Samsung cards that read at about 80mb/s, but write at around 20mb/s. Other models in the range read at 90 and write at 80... So its always important to check the exact specs. Lexars 45mb/s cards read at that speed, but write at around 20, their 90mb/s card write at around 40-45mb/s.... The most meaningless spec are the "300x" type speeds... 300x what? Actually its the read speed of music cds. Anyone know what speed that is? No... A bit like sensor sizes on pocket cameras based on the cathode ray tubes they would fit inside... Also meaningless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×