johnwillyums

First the eyepiece, now the entire shutter assembly. Fell off.

artuk   
4 hours ago, johnwillyums said:

I have plenty of time, and I would enjoy trying to reason with Fuji HQ.

Anybody know who to write too?

After the release of the X Pro 1 I did email them twice about issues with the camera, but I *think* I was asked to email Fuji UK who were going to forward my comments on.  I will need to check back through my email history and see what I can find.

The other option is to find the email address of the Fuji UK CEOs office - it's often the most expedient way of getting customer service issues resolved, from first hand experience and working for a large UK organisations who had processes whenever questions and issues were escalated via that route.

Online sources provide the following:

Fujifilm Europe President: Kurose_Takaaki@fujifilm.eu

I can't find an email address for UK,  just names of Directors:

Neil Llewellyn DENHAM secretary since 24 Mar 2017
Masaharu FUKUMOTO director since 03 Feb 2016
Go MIYAZAKI director since 10 Aug 2016

so you could try posting a letter addressed to one or all of them, it will probably find the chairmans / CEOs office.

I haven't found an email for Fuji Japan.

• Thanks 1

artuk   

Fuji have been very clever at garnering positive online reviews by carefully placing cameras with bloggers etc who generally write very positive (I could say "uncritical") reviews of the cameras they have been given.  This is clearly done for free positive online media coverage.

May I suggest finding as many of them as you can, finding their most recent posts about how wonderful their (free) cameras are, and posting a comment about your unreliable and self-destructing camera?

It may be that as most of these people with free cameras have a relationship with Fuji, that your problems get more attention from Fuji, who may decide to change their mind about how to deal with your experience.

I read last week that there is a known issue with the X Pro 2 where the shutter doesn't operate correctly the first time it is released after start up.   I understand some cameras have problems, but these stories aren't good. 

Nikon have had issues with several of their SLRs, and haven't always dealt with it professionally either - I read of one user who had the shutter assembly replaced 3 times because of manufacturing defects with the parts - terrible.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your support.

I've got a draft email, either for for Mr Takaana, or the CEO in Japan, if I can get an addreess for him.

I'm tempted to phone Gordon, at Fuji UK, and tell him my intentions. I might also suggest that he was being less than truthful, citing the dpreview case.

As part of my email I've had to write a short history of the camera :

Purchased 28th April 2016, October 16 requires new base and lens mount, February 2017 requires new top plate, and viewfinder assembly, Julu 2017 requires new top plate and shutter button assembly.

Not very impressive for a camera body, and as you suggest artuk, I wonder what Ted Viera would say about this. ;-)

Well, here's my email to Mr Takaaki, unfortunately it's bounced back, so the address must be wrong, anyone else know where I can send it, or any suggestions for amendments, or comments on the content.

to Kurose_Takaaki

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you from the UK, as I am unable to obtain any contact email addresses, for Fuji employees within the UK.

In April 2016, I purchased a new X-Pro 2. It replaced my X-T1, I have also owned an X-E2, X-E1, an original X100, and now I have the X100F.

I also own every prime lens that you have manufactured for the XF mount. So I have a considerable investment in Fujifim's X Series.

The X-Pro 2 is sold as a professional camera. This is a short history of my X-Pro2 :-

April 2016 - purchased
October 2016 - returned. New base plate and lens mount required.
February 2017 - returned. New top plate and viewfinder assembly fitted
July 2017 - returned - New shutter button assembly, possibly new top plate required.

This camera just keeps failing me, and this most recent issue, the entire shutter button assembly was lost, it simply fell off the camera (I was able to recover some parts from my front path).

Your UK repairs department are charging me 200 pounds for this repair. 

I find this extremely poor practice on Fuji UK's part. There has been no damage done to the camera, it has not been dropped, or caught on something, yet the whole on/of switch, plus shutter button simply falls out.

I remonstrated with Fuji UK, because this is a design flaw, it is not damage, or wear and tear, the shutter assembly, has simply become loose and fallen off.

Also, I know from various Fuji forums that this is not an isolated incident, and that in the USA, this flaw has shown itself both on the X-T2, and the X-Pro 2.

These people received free of charge repairs, yet Fuji UK refused to repair mine until I had paid 200 pounds, which I now have. They refused to even start the repair, until I had paid, because they knew I was struggling to find 200 pounds (in fact I've had to sell a lens to pay for the camera repair)

So, I'm contacting you in the hope that you will see what has happened here. I have bought a professional camera body, that has fallen to pieces on me.

Under The Sale of Goods Act, goods sold as "professional", costing 1650 pounds, carry a greater expectation of reasonable life. 
This camera falls far short of that, I am an old age pensioner, on a limited income, I am not a war photographer, or in any way using this camera in any extreme conditions.

I would ask you to consider my issue, I shall continue to campaign to get this issue known, and your companies (in the UK) attitude towards it's customers.

I would be grateful if you could assist me, by giving me an email address, for your CEO, in Japan, so that I can write to him.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Mr Takaaki, I write in sorrow rather than anger. I have no wish to denigrate your company, but surely a "professional" build quality carries implications, and expectations, this camera has simply been a disaster since I bought it.

For a company that talks about "kaizen", and caring for it's user community, it is extremely poor.I personally feel that this camera is, what we call in England, a "Friday Afternoon Special", it should never have passed quality control.

So, regrettably, I shall devote my time to making this issue known, and more importantly the way Fuji UK have treated me, I am online "friends" with several of your "Fuji Photographers", notably Ted Viera, so I shall publish this issue far and wide.

I've paid for this repair now, so I should get the camera back in a couple of weeks, but experience shows me I cannot rely on it.

Yours sincerely, John Williams
  • Like 1

Re above.

I looked on Fuji's main site, and sent the mail to the UK section. I'm not sure whether that means it will just get re-directed to the people I've been dealing with here.

We shall see, I spoke to Fuji.co.uk earlier, the guy said that my payment has gone through, so they will now, "put it on the repair line"

I asked how long, he said "a couple of weeks"

This is just great.

That is exactly what happened to my brand new (3 months old) X-T2, the shutter button fell off. Gone. I have sent it to NJ for warranty repair (unless they ask me to pay).. this is the first time in 40 years as a photographer that a part has called off a camera. I've lost eye cups, perhaps the small plastic piece that covers the hotshoe, but this, not cool Fuji, not cool. 

I can see no reason why you won't get a warranty repair, @Travelpoet, but i imagine you are very disappointed with this, as am I.

It now appears that the issue affects both of Fuji's top cameras. I don't have an X-T2 but imagine they have the exact same shutter button assembly.

I just wrote my theory as to how it's happening, but then I thought, I can't be sure, and what does it matter. What matters is that both these cameras have this flaw.

As I said, you will get a warranty repair. In some ways it's good that this has happened whilst you are still within warranty, and so soon after you got it. I bet they make sure your shutter assembly is good and tight.

I've had to pay for mine, which I object to, but for everyone else, with an X-Pro2, or an X-T2. They need to know about this issue.

At least you don't have to worry about your viewfinder falling out :-)

I've posted on Ted Viera, and The Angry Photographer's sites, so I wonder if they will react.

If anyone out there knows who we need to email at Fuji, to get an answer, please let me know.

I've just been out with X100F. I'm getting paranoid about these shutter releases.

I took a close look, and it appears to be a very similar system, if not identical, apart from size.

If I apply a slight sideways pressure, I find there is some play in the whole assembly.

I really wish Fuji would make a statement about this issue, so far I know of four people, not including myself, who have had this issue, fortunately before their warranties expired.

These, other four people had X-T2s, and are all in the USA. I figure that the X-T2 is a much bigger seller than than the X-Pro 2. Also there will be far more Fuji cameras on the streets in the US, than in UK, simple math.

This is horrible, I love my X100F, but now I don't have confidence in it's build quality.

artuk   
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:36 AM, johnwillyums said:

Thank you both for your support.

I've got a draft email, either for for Mr Takaana, or the CEO in Japan, if I can get an addreess for him.

I'm tempted to phone Gordon, at Fuji UK, and tell him my intentions. I might also suggest that he was being less than truthful, citing the dpreview case.

As part of my email I've had to write a short history of the camera :

Purchased 28th April 2016, October 16 requires new base and lens mount, February 2017 requires new top plate, and viewfinder assembly, Julu 2017 requires new top plate and shutter button assembly.

Not very impressive for a camera body, and as you suggest artuk, I wonder what Ted Viera would say about this. ;-)

In my  experience, telling customer service representatives that you are going to tell your story of bad service on social media / the internet is of little value, as they are not the same people who deal with a companies social media presence.  If companies do have a social media presence, it can be worth publicly contacting them via their own social media to tell your sad story, and often that seems to get a greater focus of attention than calling someone - hence my comment to spread the word on the social media that Fuji so carefully use to place products and get positive, uncritical free publicity.

I have had a number of problems with my Nissin flash guns (talked about here previously) - Nissin's UK distributor refused to service them as they came from Amazon.de and said I needed to go the distributor in Germany.  Thanks for nothing.  They also denied there were known problems with the flash system.  Recently, having become totally disenchanted with their Air 1 system reliability and thinking of buying something else, I decided to contact them directly through their website, as I don't see why I should have to buy another product when theirs doesn't work properly, and their UK agent has refused to deal with my problems.

I emailed them twice via their website, and have replied to automated confirmations of my contact, and have had absolutely no response to my critical email detailing all the problems with their products and the terrible after sales support I have received in the UK.  SO as far as I can tell, they simply don't care or don't want to deal with the problems.

At least Fuji are better than Nissin at customer support.

• Like 1