Wendell

X-PRO 2 WON'T START AFTER UPDATING TO VER 3.10

Wendell   

Good day!

I was just wondering if anyone else has updated their XPro2 to Ver. 3.10? And did you experience any bug? After successfully updating my camera, it won't start. Removing the battery for awhile then putting it back in, the camera switches on. Though when I clicked the shutter button, everything became unresponsive. I can't even switch off the camera. I had to remove the battery to switch it off. I tried to re-update it again on the same version (3.10) but still, it didn't work. I'm really frustrated right now.. :(

Is there a way to revert back to Ver. 3.0?

Thank you! Any help/suggestion is highly appreciated.

artuk   
12 minutes ago, veejaycee said:

You can't reverse the update. Try a factory reset if you can get to the menus.

There is always the risk that any firmware update, if not completed successfully / correctly, can cause problems or even "brick" the camera.

As VJC says, the only self-fix is either:

- do a factory reset from the menus

- try to do another firmware install again (with a completely different SD card and new download of the firmware)

It may be worth checking online that this isn't a firmware problems others have had...

If there is no self-fix then it will need to be returned to Fuji for service.

K1W1_Mk2   

If the camera thinks it has v3.10 firmware the OP will not be able to do an update or reinstall until Fuji release v3.20. The first thing that the camera does is look at the version number and if it is the same or older than what is installed it will not proceed. 

If a reset does not work I think a trip to Fuji is probably the only solution.

Greyelm   

Earlier Fuji Cameras did allow downgrading of the firmware, I have done it myself. First you need a copy of the earlier firmware which will have the same file name as the latest version so make sure they are not in the same place. Copy this earlier version onto an SD card and proceed with the "update", the camera will check to see if the "new" file has the same version number as already installed, if it isn't it will then install that one even if it is an earlier one. I suspect this will work with late Fuji models too.

grick   

I updated soon after the update was released, I think in June. I started to have the same issue the OP has described. I thought it was related to the new update and using lenses with un-updated lens firmware. It seemed to happen with the two used lenses I bought and tested before updating their firmware. After I updated the lens firmware, the X-Pro2 startup problem seemed to go away.

Unfortunately, last Saturday it happened again and I couldn't get the camera started, no matter how many times I totally removed and replaced the battery. But after letting it sit for twenty minutes or so it responded and powered up and has been okay since.

If you search the internet you'll find descriptions of this occurring to several people on different forums - all describing the same non startup and battery replacement issue after the update to 3.10. You will even come across X-T2 users that describe the same or a similar problem.

I hope Fujifilm is aware of this and moves to do something. The idea of sending my camera in for repair or continuing to use my unreliable X-Pro2 is not a good choice to face.

• Like 1

artuk   
2 hours ago, grick said:

I hope Fujifilm is aware of this and moves to do something. The idea of sending my camera in for repair or continuing to use my unreliable X-Pro2 is not a good choice to face.

What will they repair?  Will the service technician do a quite rewrite of the firmware to sort out the problem?

grick   
3 hours ago, artuk said:

What will they repair?  Will the service technician do a quite rewrite of the firmware to sort out the problem?

I have no idea how this issue will be sorted out. A new firmware patch after the problem is identified? 

I half suspect that if I send it in to Fujifilm, they will keep it for some time, then return the X-Pro2 with a message that they couldn't find any problems. Then, two weeks later, it won't power on again, because this is an intermittent glitch. I can't find any pattern to it. Such as: if I do this or use that setting or lens, then it won't power on. It's just random! Frustrating!

farrell   
3 hours ago, grick said:

I have no idea how this issue will be sorted out. A new firmware patch after the problem is identified? 

I half suspect that if I send it in to Fujifilm, they will keep it for some time, then return the X-Pro2 with a message that they couldn't find any problems. Then, two weeks later, it won't power on again, because this is an intermittent glitch. I can't find any pattern to it. Such as: if I do this or use that setting or lens, then it won't power on. It's just random! Frustrating!

From the beginning, my D810 would not format from menu, only from the top deck switches.

I sent it to Nikon Service twice and it was not repaired. I was sent a letter stating that the camera

was in full compliance with its functions.

They ignored the fact that my D7100 formatted from menu cards from the D810.

I gave up.

artuk   
5 hours ago, grick said:

There appear to be any number of reports about random behaviour and issues with the camera.

grick   
8 hours ago, artuk said:

There appear to be any number of reports about random behaviour and issues with the camera.

I'm sure you are right.

But with "my" random behavior, I never experienced any problems with my X-Pro2 until I updated to the most recent firmware release, 3.10. Also, I understand that this strange camera issue is not something all x-pro2 owners experience after updating. But some do. I hope others experiencing this, whether they are X-Pro2 or X-T2 users will leave posts here.

Maybe there are enough of us to compare notes and outcomes to repair services or emails to Fujifilm or whatever action we take.

In my case, I feel that my X-Pro2 has become unreliable, though I still enjoy using it when it is operating properly.

artuk   
32 minutes ago, grick said:

I'm sure you are right.

But with "my" random behavior, I never experienced any problems with my X-Pro2 until I updated to the most recent firmware release, 3.10. Also, I understand that this strange camera issue is not something all x-pro2 owners experience after updating. But some do. I hope others experiencing this, whether they are X-Pro2 or X-T2 users will leave posts here.

Maybe there are enough of us to compare notes and outcomes to repair services or emails to Fujifilm or whatever action we take.

In my case, I feel that my X-Pro2 has become unreliable, though I still enjoy using it when it is operating properly.

I have seen reports that there is a problem when the camera is turned on the shutter does not fire the first time the shutter release is pressed.  Another user here reports random problems with his camera over a long period where it would not turn on and work, and would need to be turned on and off.  He also had a problem with part of the viewfinder assembly falling out (a problem he reports finding other users also had) and then his shutter button failed and fell off.  Now there are other reports of start up issues after the latest firmware.  X100 users have a problem with firmware that makes the focus scale in the viewfinder, or possibly thr focus itself, creep every time the shutter is half pressed when focused manually.  Some XT2 users report lots of issues with focus inaccuracy and unreliability.  Even when I had an X Pro 1 a few years ago, I seemed that every other firmware update introduced problems.  As an outsider all these reports give the feeling that Fuji has somewhat " dropped the ball" on quality. Ad have Nikon over the last 3 -4 years with several of their cameras - and they are paying the price for it.

grick   

I got in contact with another member of this forum, who had a thread last year about a similar issue. He ended up sending his in for repair and has since enjoyed trouble free shooting after receiving it back. He told me "it was a main board issue".

So, today, I sent my XPro2 to the Fujifilm repair center in New Jersey, USA to be checked under warranty (and hopefully repaired). 

Until it is sent back, I will get reacquainted with my XE2s. I'll write later to report on what happens with the XPro2.

• Like 1

Wendell   
22 minutes ago, grick said:

I got in contact with another member of this forum, who had a thread last year about a similar issue. He ended up sending his in for repair and has since enjoyed trouble free shooting after receiving it back. He told me "it was a main board issue".

So, today, I sent my XPro2 to the Fujifilm repair center in New Jersey, USA to be checked under warranty (and hopefully repaired). 

Until it is sent back, I will get reacquainted with my XE2s. I'll write later to report on what happens with the XPro2.

@grick Did he mention how did it happen? What damaged the main board?

Thank you.

artuk   
15 hours ago, grick said:

Fuji replaced the circuit board because the camera didn't start after a firmware update?

Service technicians often have limited ability to diagnose problems with complex electronic and software issues, so the default response to something that doesn't work where a problem can't be diagnosed is to replace the mother board and hope it resolves it. 

Is that surprising? The circuit board carries most of the electronics including microprocessors and as the most likely cause, it is probably quickest to change it and see if it solves the problem. My own feeling is that a lot of problems also stem from imperfect lens/body contacts, especially when long/heavy lenses are used. I don't like the fact there is (accepted it seems) some rotational movement - even in some supposedly WR body/lenses. The fits and contacts on my Nikon lenses and bodies were more er - definite - if you know what I mean.

grick   
19 hours ago, Wendell said:

Did he mention how did it happen? What damaged the main board?

Thank you.

Part of his email to me states:

"Regarding my X-Pro2 issue, I had to send it back repair and got it back working perfectly. Its one of those issues that are not common but unfortunately the only solution is contacting Fujifilm and sent it to their facility in your region. I believe it was a “Main Board Issue”. "

Other than that, I didn't hear more nor did I need to. It seemed that the issue with my XPro2 is some sort of internal electrical problem rather than a software glitch that would be addressed with a patch. So, off my camera went to be checked. I really hoped that I wouldn't have had to send it in, but life doesn't always follow the script you'd like it to.

• Like 1

artuk   
11 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Is that surprising? The circuit board carries most of the electronics including microprocessors and as the most likely cause, it is probably quickest to change it and see if it solves the problem. My own feeling is that a lot of problems also stem from imperfect lens/body contacts, especially when long/heavy lenses are used. I don't like the fact there is (accepted it seems) some rotational movement - even in some supposedly WR body/lenses. The fits and contacts on my Nikon lenses and bodies were more er - definite - if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean.  Minolta A mount was always fairly secure (although there were some differences in tolerances), whereas E mount seems much more prone to slackness and wobble in the mount - I had always assumed it was in part because in a system that focuses off the main sensor, any issues are largely self correcting, so manufacturing tolerances are less critical.

It's hard to imagine why a camera that was working before a firmware update suddenly developed an issue with it's mother board after firmware update.  I suspect it's a software problem, but it could be that even a Fuji service engineer can't update firmware on an effectively "bricked" camera.

58 minutes ago, artuk said:

I know exactly what you mean.  Minolta A mount was always fairly secure (although there were some differences in tolerances), whereas E mount seems much more prone to slackness and wobble in the mount - I had always assumed it was in part because in a system that focuses off the main sensor, any issues are largely self correcting, so manufacturing tolerances are less critical.

It's hard to imagine why a camera that was working before a firmware update suddenly developed an issue with it's mother board after firmware update.  I suspect it's a software problem, but it could be that even a Fuji service engineer can't update firmware on an effectively "bricked" camera.

Yes, and that's a shame because we got new FW today which might have "cleared it".

artuk   
12 hours ago, veejaycee said:

Yes, and that's a shame because we got new FW today which might have "cleared it".

If a firmware update "fails" in some way (e.g. the camera won't work when turned on), is it possible to load updated firmware?  I guess it depends what went wrong with the previous update and whether the camera is in a state where it can detect and read a new firmware file off the card.

Sony perform updates via PC software, with the camera tethered via USB, which I hate.  I've seen reports of people having problems during the process, though fortunately it seems quite robust in that they have managed to restart the process and complete it successfully a second time.

grick   
16 hours ago, veejaycee said:

It might have cleared up my problem. I was hoping that a firm ware update would have done that, but now I suspect there was something other than software glitches going on.

The last time it wouldn't power on, it REALLY wouldn't power on. Prior times it would immediately power on after I would remove and replace the battery. This last time, though, that no longer worked. It was dead. I tried repeatedly to get it to operate by removing the battery. But nothing! I took it into the house,  and left it. Then, after about a half an hour removing the battery did start is up and it was normal again up to the day I packaged it for shipment.

Also, the evening before what I described above, I was at a small concert taking photos. When finished, I noticed that the battery level was 87%. I turned off the camera put it in my bag and walked home. I took my XPro2 out to remove the SD card and it was very hot, still in the off position and I notice the battery level was then at 62%. There were no new photos or video on the card. Then, the next day is when it would not respond to the removal and replacement of the battery.