veejaycee

Fuji 200mm will be f2

If true, that will be a monster lens. Some will be thrilled by it (maybe less when they will try to carry it around all day, let alone pay for it).

Regardless of f/2.0 or f/2.8, this will not be a big deal for the rest of us if, as done for other prime lenses, Fuji will later release a compact and affordable f/4.0 or f/4.5 version of this focal length, best if OIS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarcoDebiasi said:

If true, that will be a monster lens. Some will be thrilled by it (maybe less when they will try to carry it around all day, let alone pay for it).

Regardless of f/2.0 or f/2.8, this will not be a big deal for the rest of us if, as done for other prime lenses, Fuji will later release a compact and affordable f/4.0 or f/4.5 version of this focal length, best if OIS.

The current 55-200mm zoom with OIS already opens to f4.8 so that won't be enough of a jump.

17 hours ago, veejaycee said:

The current 55-200mm zoom with OIS already opens to f4.8 so that won't be enough of a jump.

I agree, unless such a prime would be appreciably smaller/lighter than the 55-200. Nevertheless it may not make enough of a market case as nowadays I see few 300mm f/4.0 or so full-frame lenses (e.g. the highly regarded Nikon 300mm f/4 PF VR).

It is obvious that with a 200mm f/2.0 Fuji squarely aims to compete with the 300mm f/2.8 big guns from Canon and Nikon.

GeoffC   

Something that big doesn't belong on such a compact camera.

Forgive the ignorance, but what's the significance of the numbering on the barrel from 400 down to 100 (?) looks suspiciously like a zoom lens on that picture, not the 200mm in the article.

6 hours ago, GeoffC said:

Something that big doesn't belong on such a compact camera.

Forgive the ignorance, but what's the significance of the numbering on the barrel from 400 down to 100 (?) looks suspiciously like a zoom lens on that picture, not the 200mm in the article.

It's obviously the 100-400mm zoom (no pics of the new lens yet). As for not belonging on a compact - the ratio of sensor size to small lens size changes as you reach the longer FLs. Having said that, I've heard no complaints about the 100-400 on XT2/XP2 and even some XT20 owners use it.

artuk   
1 hour ago, veejaycee said:

It's obviously the 100-400mm zoom (no pics of the new lens yet). As for not belonging on a compact - the ratio of sensor size to small lens size changes as you reach the longer FLs. Having said that, I've heard no complaints about the 100-400 on XT2/XP2 and even some XT20 owners use it.

I used to own the simply brilliant Minolta 200m f2.8 G APO, one of the best 200mm lenses ever made - it was surprisingly compact and light for it's spec.  As you say, the length of the lens doesn't change much with sensor size, and the front element scales with aperture - I'm assuming an f2.8 on full frame may be no larger than an f2 on APS-C.  My Minolta 200mm had a 72mm filter thread and weighed about 700g - very reasonable compared to fixed aperture tele-zooms.

K1W1_Mk2   
5 hours ago, artuk said:

My Minolta 200mm had a 72mm filter thread and weighed about 700g - very reasonable compared to fixed aperture tele-zooms.

Just under half what my Nikon 70-200 2.8 weights (1489 gm).

• Like 1

artuk   
19 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

Just under half what my Nikon 70-200 2.8 weights (1489 gm).

Exactly.  For what I needed it for - stage events during long haul travel - I was more than happy to trade the size and particularly weight for the 70-200mm f2.8 I previously owned.  The Minolta 200mm was 13.5cm long (on a system with a registration of about 4.8cm) - I don't see any reason for an APS-C equivalent at f2 to be significantly larger, perhaps just a little longer because of the reduced registration distance. 

K1W1_Mk2   

All lenses are significantly larger today. They all have focus motors, electronics and in Fujis case maybe OIS motors built in. I have a 135mm f2.5 Tamron from the late 1970s that is smaller than most 18-55 kit lenses these days.

Buck777   

It sounds spectacular. I love my 90 and my 50-140, but if the 200 f2 comes out with WR and OIS, wow I'm in. If it takes the 1.4TC, even better. 

2 hours ago, Buck777 said:

It sounds spectacular. I love my 90 and my 50-140, but if the 200 f2 comes out with WR and OIS, wow I'm in. If it takes the 1.4TC, even better. 

I'm sure it will take the TC's. It wouldn't sell otherwise. Sports shooters need 300mm f2 equiv and 420mm f2.8 equiv and 600mm f4 equiv. It will have OIS and WR.

Unfortunately the price will be out of reach for most of us ordinary shooters but a draw for pros who have stayed away from APS ILCs for want of a really fast long lens.