jezo

XT10, moving aperture and shutter to front and back wheels

jezo   

I just got an XT10, but first attempts at using it and reading the manual don't make it clear: can I control both aperture and shutter speed by the two small wheels (dials) on the front and the back of the camera? At the moment the situation is as follows: the wheel assigned to shutter speed acts within a few stops of whatever SS is defined by the main knob on top of the camera. The wheel assigned to aperture does exactly nothing and the only way to correct the aperture is via the lens ring (my lens is an XF 10-24 f/4 with a manual-auto switch). Reversing the roles of the camera wheels doesn't change the situation. I would like to move all changes in SS and aperture to those two rings. Is it possible?

artuk   

I don't know the exact control layout of your camera, but the rear dial is allowing access to 1/3ev shutter speeds, as the shutter speed dial only has full stop values - it's the only way to get those intermediate values, and unfortunately when you have used it and taken a shot, the shutter speed is reset to the value on the shutter speed dial - so if you want to consistently use an intermediate value, you have to keep setting it.

As for your request "can I assign shutter speed and aperture to the control wheels?", I thought it was possible through an option within the menus - I assume the manual may explain it.  Some lenses don't have apertures and therefore you MUST use a control wheel on the camera, and some of the cameras don't have a shutter speed dial and so you must use a control wheel on the camera - therefore the camera software certainly allows a body control to be used for both shooting parameter.

One of the main reasons people like Fuji is for their retro controls i.e. having the aperture adjustment on the lens. Only the entry level 16-50mm XC and 50-230mm XC lenses and the compact 27mm f2.8 prime have no aperture ring so they are adjusted by the front control wheel.

artuk   
1 hour ago, veejaycee said:

One of the main reasons people like Fuji is for their retro controls i.e. having the aperture adjustment on the lens. Only the entry level 16-50mm XC and 50-230mm XC lenses and the compact 27mm f2.8 prime have no aperture ring so they are adjusted by the front control wheel.

...but I thought at some point after the X-Pro 1 they added a firmware change to allow the user to configure the cameras to allow body control of aperture and shutter speed (instead of the dedicated controls)?

jezo   

I went a bit further in the thick of the manual and yes, see now that with a 'ringed' lens aperture is not controllable by the dial at all. Given the proliferation of those dials on SLRs and the ease of programming a myriad of other functions onto buttons in Fuji cameras it's very strange they didn't leave this option for the user. Top wheel is a classic, but I'd welcome a choice.

Some later models like my XT2 can have the ISO settings and shutter speed configured to the front control wheel. Standard setting for front wheel is ISO change, then push the wheel in and release for shutter speed change, push again for ISO. Using the shutter speed setting this the user can choose from in between shutter speeds rather than just full or 1/2 stops.

I rarely shoot shutter priority but it can be handy to have full control over ISO settings without taking the camera down from shooting position.

As a long time photographer I find there is too much automation and ways of overriding and setting parameters of same - even worse with so many different configurations of dials/buttons/switches with various restrictions on what can be used with what. I prefer to use manual or the simpler auto settings.

artuk   
1 hour ago, veejaycee said:

Some later models like my XT2 can have the ISO settings and shutter speed configured to the front control wheel. Standard setting for front wheel is ISO change, then push the wheel in and release for shutter speed change, push again for ISO. Using the shutter speed setting this the user can choose from in between shutter speeds rather than just full or 1/2 stops.

I rarely shoot shutter priority but it can be handy to have full control over ISO settings without taking the camera down from shooting position.

As a long time photographer I find there is too much automation and ways of overriding and setting parameters of same - even worse with so many different configurations of dials/buttons/switches with various restrictions on what can be used with what. I prefer to use manual or the simpler auto settings.

Apologies, I genuinely thought that in one of the updates after the XA/XM cameras were released with their matching lenses without aperture rings, configuration was added to include body control with any lens.

That's possible The latest X-A3 might have something like that.

On the XT20 I can configure the shutter speed to the rear control wheel but the front wheel does not appear to be configurable but restricted to use for aperture control of XC lenses.