Aurora

Recording problem: has this ever happened to anyone else?

Hi everybody!

I'm new to the community, I signed up because I've been having some problems with my brand new Fujifilm x100F which I bought only a couple of months ago.

It has already happened several times that while shooting RAW on continuous mode (8.0 fps) the camera would suddenly stop recording.

I'll try to be as clear as possible: I focus, start shooting continuously (keeping the shutter button down), after a couple of seconds the camera stops shooting and shuts down completely (the LCD goes black). I try switch it off and back on but nothing happens. It only starts working again after I take out the battery and put it back in.

The strange thing is that this doesn't happen all the time! Only sometimes, every now and then, completely out of the blue. And it's very annoying, especially because it caused me to miss out on some great shots.

Does anyone have a clue of what the problem might be?

Thank you!

I suspect that you are just overwhelming the cameras buffer and its ability to process the images and transfer them to the card.

Sounds strange but the X100 series cameras have no great buffer nor do they write to cards overly quickly. They are simply not designed for the sort of machine gun photography you describe. Even cameras like the X-T1 will slow noticeably if you shoot RAW and simply hold the shutter button down for more than a second or so.

The Speed of SD card you use makes a huge difference using the fastest card you can will improve things a little but only a little. 

Shooting jpeg will get better results in continuous shooting as the file sizes are smaller.

If you shoot this way for a reason and that is what you are wanting to do you would probably be better to look at a Canon or Nikon mid level DSLR. They have buffers more suitable for this sort of application.

43 minutes ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

I suspect that you are just overwhelming the cameras buffer and its ability to process the images and transfer them to the card.

Sounds strange but the X100 series cameras have no great buffer nor do they write to cards overly quickly. They are simply not designed for the sort of machine gun photography you describe. Even cameras like the X-T1 will slow noticeably if you shoot RAW and simply hold the shutter button down for more than a second or so.

The Speed of SD card you use makes a huge difference using the fastest card you can will improve things a little but only a little. 

Shooting jpeg will get better results in continuous shooting as the file sizes are smaller.

If you shoot this way for a reason and that is what you are wanting to do you would probably be better to look at a Canon or Nikon mid level DSLR. They have buffers more suitable for this sort of application.

You might be right..thank you!

Welcome to the community @Aurora!

In the menu you may be able to reduce the 8fps shoot rate to a slightly slower 7 or 5 frames per second to get more shots, 8 may be overkill anyhow. You should also invest in a faster writing SD card, that can make a huge difference as well, the faster the camera can write from its buffer the sooner it can make room for more shots.

6 hours ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

I agree with all you say, but that shouldn't make the camera crash and need a reboot to recover!

My other brand cameras certainly don't crash when I shoot continuously and fill the buffer.

Slow cards will make the buffer clear time very long, but shouldn't cause a crash.  Is it possible that the apparent "crash" is actually just camera lock up whilst it clears the buffer?  Does the X100F lock up completely like older models when clearing the buffer?

Maybe when this happens try leaving the camera for a minute or 2 and seeing if it eventually comes back to life when the buffer is clear.

I can only suggest a reset to factory, the usual firmware update in the hope of a fix, or a return to the dealer for a replacement.  Failing that, a return to Fuji for a warranty repair.

1 hour ago, artuk said:

I agree with all you say, but that shouldn't make the camera crash and need a reboot to recover!

That's exactly my point and that's why I'm concerned.. :(

I use a Lexar SDXC 64GB, 633x 95MB/s not the fastest but definitely does a fair job.

I'll try to do what you suggested, wait for a couple of minutes and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Thank you all!

Most similar problems with Fuji cameras have been found to be the Lexar cards, in spite of Lexar being one of those recommended by Fuji. Try a Scandisk Extreme Pro Class 10, 95MBs or faster. I think you'll find the problem cured. Also when the camera does lock this way, be aware that as has been said, it may be the buffer is still at work so removing the battery could lose you shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veejaycee said:

Most similar problems with Fuji cameras have been found to be the Lexar cards, in spite of Lexar being one of those recommended by Fuji. Try a Scandisk Extreme Pro Class 10, 95MBs or faster. I think you'll find the problem cured. Also when the camera does lock this way, be aware that as has been said, it may be the buffer is still at work so removing the battery could lose you shots.

Is there a "card write" lamp when the card is being used?

I suspect you are right about the card compatibility issue, given other reported problems.

Edit:

found this on a website talking about best cards for Fuji cameras:

Do Lexar Cards Suck?

No, they don’t suck. I’ve yet to have any issues with Lexar and the only people I know of that have had issues with Lexar had counterfeit cards. If you’re having problems with your Lexar card, email Lexar, make sure the card is authentic, if so, they will replace it for you.

Yes Lexar cards are an ongoing issue with Fuji cameras. They should work but in the real world everybody I know who has tried one with a 24MP sensor Fuji X camera has ha lock up issues that have gone away when a SanDisk card is used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, artuk said:

Is there a "card write" lamp when the card is being used?

I suspect you are right about the card compatibility issue, given other reported problems.

Nope. No signs of buffering whatsoever..the camera simply looks as when it's off

I often need 8 f/s for sports photography and solved the phenomenon with switching the card from SanDisk 95MB /s card to Lexar 128GB SDXC card, 300MB /s speed.

Once I was photographing a swimming contest and my SanDisk card was in the camera. After a short while, it turnes up a message on the scren that the camera could not read the data on the card. I removed the battery and the card, but nothing helped.
Continued to shoot with the same "defected" card to the end of the competition. The camera had recorded and saved all the new pictures taken on the card!