Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Xpro1 + Nikon 50 F1.8D

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Xpro1 with a Nifty-Fifty - Marriage made in heaven

Got my Kipon Nikon F to Xpro1 lens adapter today in the mail. Just stuck the 50mm 1.8 on this bad boy and had a bit of a play around the house.

The good:

Manual focus is as it should be with the lens ring tracking your every flinch. Feels a bit alien though after using the Xpro1's Focus by wire over the last couple of days. The focus Zoom assist is working wonders though.

The questions I have:

I reckon that I'll only be able to use non-gelded versions of Nikon's glass as I'd need manual aperture rings. I dont think theres a way to shoot with the G versions. Will wait for all your feedback on this one but my suggestion for all as of now is that if you dont have older D versions lying around this may not be a smart buy.

The Bad:

Can't think of anything yet. Will have to shoot some more to let you'll know.

Posted

That's a nice setup for portraits! You are correct about needing manual aperture control on adapted lenses, there's no way to control it on later electronic lenses.

Posted

Bdonegan,

it will be nice to see the pics with the Nikon 50mm 1.8.

Do you have any other Nikon lens that you will be trying with the X Pro 1?

Posted

+1 on seeing some pics =D

Posted

this makes me drool

the x pro for legacy glass , a powerful proposition

Posted

I have the same adapter with a Nikon 50mm F2.0 AI lens. Works great and awesome sharp.

Posted

So, I should be able to use my Nikkor 105 AI micro as well as my 50 1.8D? How about my 85 1.4?

Posted

Any Nikon lens with an Aperture ring will fit the standard Kipon adapter and will work in manual focus mode. Here is an adapter supposed to work with Nikon G lenses.

http://tinyurl.com/6w9v2es

:Don

Posted

All Nikon lenses (including some pre-AI models) with an aperture ring can be used with the Kipon F-to-FX adapter.

A Nikon G-type lens (including all DX lenses) will stay at its minimum (fully closed) aperture when mounted on the 'basic' Kipon adapter. Not very practical...

For the daring: it is possible to wedge a little something (cardboard, foam...) into the back mount of a G-lens to block the aperture control lever at its maximum (wide open) aperture position.

Kipon just started shipping a more elaborate version of their Nikon F adapter with an extra ring, allowing you to manually control the aperture. This should do the trick for G-lenses, still with full manual aperture setting (and old-style step-down metering) of course. See this link.

Posted

Nikon lenses (with the aperture rings) are really great with the X-Pro1. I got a cheap 50mm/1.8 Series E lens and it's gorgeous with the Fuji. You can see some pictures on my blog. Look for my X-Pro1 review.

Posted

I got chromatic aberrations: large green and purple color fringes with my Nikkor MF 4.5/300, some green fringes with the Nikkor 2.5/105. The 105mm lens is nevertheless wonderful. I also tried my old 1.8/50 lens, but prefer to use Fuji 60 mm lens.

I also like to use my old 35-105 Zoom. It is so much better to have a mechanical focus

Adjustment!