Sign in to follow this  
egc

X10 zoom ring mechanically blocked. Can't turn X10 on

had this problem as well, I notice it happened because the lens slightly (very slightly) shifted from its position, that's the time I notice that the lens mechanism is not that robust. I noticed this since there's a slight gap (more than normal) between the ring with the lens and the lens is quite wobbly now.

What i did is shift the lens back to its "original" position (based on the gap location) and its working fine now. It happened twice and the second time i use the same approach and it worked out.

It probably happened since we're carrying our X10 inside our bag without any case (at least I think that was the cause for mine).

If you look at the mechanism, which is designed to be compact while maintaining the best optical quality (many characteristics coming into play there, including moving groups of lenses within the barrel as it is zoomed from wide angle to beyond portrait lengths), the twin goals of compact design and smooth operation are an engineer's challenge, to say the least.

Mine works fine, and although I'm a photographer who detests cases and paraphernalia (it lives in my jacket pocket half the time), the suggestion to keep it away from potential dust intrusion has to make sense. Also seems probable that if anyone has concerns, hey should send it into the local Fuji Distributor whilst still in the warranty stage; a simple teardown and re-lube may be all that's needed for a lifetime of happiness. CanuckBanana.gif

My Lens has seized a few days ago while switching it on, I felt resistance and heard a scraping noise but the lens is stuck and camera cannot be switched off. It has performed faultlessly for just over a year but has decided to malfunction four months after the warranty run out. It has not been knocked or dropped and always lives in its leather case when not used. I noticed this problem seems to be occurring to other people as well.

I had the same problem as phoebusa occur on my X10 recently. Luckily, it was one week before my warranty expired. I purchased my X10 in Hong Kong but I'm living in China so had to go through Fujifilm here. They don't have a quick turnaround and no one can speak English, even in their head office in Shanghai, so communication can be a bit of a hassle. However, after two months of waiting I did get my camera back repaired. The fax copy of the repair sheet was unreadable so I don't know what work was done to it, though I believe I got a new lens installed.

I sold mine because of White Orbs. Didnt want to send it for the repair.

Just before that I've heard about X20 coming out.

Logical thinking: this will be the next one.

Reading all flaws & faults here on the forum about X-series makes me think:

Let's go back to Nikon, it's heavy eq. but it works. Every time.

Shame on you Fuji !

The only comment I have is that I always thought it the most ridiculous way of switching on the camera and it was probably more expensive to design and fabricate than a simple on/off lever. Almost every review had reservations about it - well proven reservations. Why on earth they carried it over to the X20 I cannot imagine.

The method works fine for me in practice. One less switch to worry about and as you have a manual zoom lens you are going to have to manually zoom it. It's actually one of the things that attracted me to the X10.

"Well proven reservations"? I guess couple of dozen complaints on the internet amongst probably hundreds of thousands of cameras sold qualifies things as "well proven" these days.

We all know that whatever anyone else says is incorrect and that if I say black you will say white and vice versa just for the sake of it. Do you not ever get tired of being the most negative person on the planet? Is no one else ever allowed an opinion? You are still the most ignorant and arrogant poster here - not even a close run thing between you and owtafocus who is simply bad-mannered and can give criticism but not take it.

I have two friends who moved away from Fuji because of this exact problem with the X10 and they were the only photographers of my acquaintance who had bought the X10. That's - er, let me see - yep I doubled checked - a 100% per cent failure rate in my experience - unless of course - you know my experience better than I!

So interesting to read these posts. My camera has had a wacky sensor for a while now, and I have lived with it - thinking that I will send it in for repair at some point. I really love most aspects of this little camera. Today, however, my camera focus ring locked in place as others have experienced. No drops. No impacts. I had uploaded pictures earlier and placed the camera in its usual safe storage place. This is absolutely a design issue. It makes sense. Lots of unnecessary wear and tear because of the on/off design. I have had this camera for a year and a half. I want to love it, but right now... I have to say that I'm not very thrilled.

Lots of unnecessary wear and tear because of the on/off design.

Not really.

It's a zoom lens and the lens mechanism will rotate way more times being zoomed in and out than it ever will being turned off and on.

Word of warning to all you X10 owners: Something to watch out for when you're threading on a filter or hood to the front of the lens. Be very careful not to over tighten it because this can cause the outer sleeve of the telephoto lens to come unscrewed. This is because the outer sleeve of the lens barrel is attached to the front of the lens but with an anticlockwise thread. Simply by tightening a filter or hood onto the front of the lens can undo the sleeve. And as I found out to my cost, can create all sorts of problems with the telephoto mechanisms which, in my case, has ended up with a repair bill of over £300. ( The lens became stuck on it's 112mm setting and wouldn't retract back into the body of the camera. )

Also of some interest is that when fujifilm sent me the ' estimate' for repair, they never included a breakdown of what they ' estimated' the problem to be! ( At this very moment I'm awaiting a breakdown of this cost. ) When I take my car into a garage they give me a breakdown of what they know or think is the problem along with an estimate of what it will cost me. Fujifilm repair centre seem to think that this isn't necessary or that we're all to dumb to understand the workings of a camera.

The camera was in perfect working order but to think that the unscrewing of the outer sleeve could be responsible for such a hefty repair bill is difficult to accept. They are also very quick to offer me a trade in for a new X20 model.

I've asked for a breakdown of the damage and await their reply.

I have a 3 month old X10 and my flash won't pop up and the zoom kammed half way through my holiday. I have never dropped it and take great care of it. Fuji say it accidental damage and are refusing to honour the warranty.. £350 for 7 parts .. I am disgusted.

My X10 is with Fuji and I'm waiting their answer regarding warranty. The problem is probably in the image stabilization mechanism and or the focusing ring. The camera works ok but when zooming the image takes a jiggle about 1/3 of the way through the zoom. I expect one day the ring will jam stuck so I've sent it in. Wish me luck.

I just got it back after a month of patiently waiting and under warranty, no cost even for shipping, Fuji replaced the entire lens. Must be a modified version because the on/off feels different and the switching is much smoother.

Just 3 days into our trip to the Philippines and the X10 camera I borrowed from my son (because my Canon 5D MKII is heavy), just did the same thing. I was trying to turn the camera off when the zoom ring jammed between off and 28mm... Hoping that PH Fuji repair depot will respond to my plea for help but so far nothing. WISH I'D Brought the Canon! - Fuji should be ashamed of creating this problem!

Fuji should be ashamed of creating this problem!

Yes I can see your point Fuji really should be severely chastised for causing you to have an issue with a $600 borrowed camera just when you needed it to work. After all it's perfectly acceptable for Canon to release the 1D MkIII with it's inherent QC issues at launch that caused major problems with professional photographers around the world or for Nikon to release the D800 with its suspect focussing issues or the D600 that would cheerfully cover the imaging sensor with oil if it could. I mean what on earth were Fuji thinking?

Fuji should be ashamed of creating this problem!

Yes I can see your point Fuji really should be severely chastised for causing you to have an issue with a $600 borrowed camera just when you needed it to work. After all it's perfectly acceptable for Canon to release the 1D MkIII with it's inherent QC issues at launch that caused major problems with professional photographers around the world or for Nikon to release the D800 with its suspect focussing issues or the D600 that would cheerfully cover the imaging sensor with oil if it could. I mean what on earth were Fuji thinking?

Hey @K1W1_MK2, it looks like someone has hacked your account and is posting under your name. Last week your name was used to emphatically insist that good customer service shouldn't be limited to high-end products. From memory, that post said that you responded quickly to a query about a $2 cable, which was not just good customer service but also turned out to be good for business.