Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

X100 Still Relevant?

42 posts in this topic

Posted

The X100 is a great camera that has a larger and better sensor over the X10 but is it still relevant and will it be months from now?

Posted

it is a classic and a classic endures

Posted

I bought mine this week with a late serial number to complement my Leica X1.

With the latest firmware and hopefully the SAB problem fixed in production I see no reason for the X100 not becoming a cult camera.

So far I'm loving it.

Posted

A good camera does not turn sour like old milk. A good camera will always be good.

Posted

even if the XPRO1 comes with the 24mm lens that will make the x100 irrelevant in the market place, it won't be irrelevant to the effect it has on the way people think about the APS-C potential. X100, to me, is at least the product that actually wakes people up on what the APS-C can do. It shows that going full frame is not necessary for those who are sick of lugging around DSLRs and yet unable to get better quality output.

It is the product akin to the iPhone waking up the mobile phone industry. This is the camera that will force the competition to think of those who has no use for Full Frame or have bought lens that support their APS-C standard but failed to return the favour/support by not producing products that is cutting edge after so many years in the market.

For that, the X100 will be a cult camera. I don't care if it has scratches on its bodies from over usage or the x200 is on the horizon. It is the camera that helped me realised my regret for not getting the S5Pro DSLR and then relieved it by producing outstanding images.

It will be relevant for those who thank Fujifilm for making a fantastic image capture tool for those who are sick of paying too much for too little by the big boys for far too long.

Posted

Well said. I sold all my dslr gear and I haven't looked back. The x100 literally goes everywhere with me and it is perfect for just about everything I want to do. It has inspired me to make my way back to film. I've got a Hi-Matic 7s coming my way as we speak and I even see a Leica M6 as a real possibility in mid-future.

Posted

Wilz: Eloquently said. I agree wholeheartedly.

Posted

I'm another who dumped the DSLR and haven't looked back.

Posted

What about used X100's They usually go for about $950. Depending on the body I know but is it better to buy one new. Does the camera have an outstanding problem when it ages?

ALSO,

Is it better to own an X100 for an everyday travel camera rather then owning a DSLR? Is it really practical to own an X100 for travel when I already own an X10.

Posted

There are a lot Of detail faults in the X100 (exp comp switch focus mode switch, rear buttons, ovf/EVF viewfinder switch, menus) most are caused by retro design and lack of thought by Fuji. Hopefully they will release a X200 which fix these faults but it will not be X100 and X100 will still be good camera.

Posted

There are a lot Of detail faults in the X100 (exp comp switch focus mode switch, rear buttons, ovf/EVF viewfinder switch, menus) most are caused by retro design and lack of thought by Fuji. Hopefully they will release a X200 which fix these faults but it will not be X100 and X100 will still be good camera.

For me the most important thing is the outstanding Image Quality.

And is the camera going to drop in price before I buy one?

Posted

the camera will descend to about 800 usd in good shape and stay there for a while

the excellence of the image quality is becoming widespread knowlwege so in the secondRY MARKET OF USED CAMERAS IT WIL GET SNATCHED UP PRETTY SOON AT THAT PRICE ..... IM SURE it will keep a decent used price

Posted

the camera will descend to about 800 usd in good shape and stay there for a while

the excellence of the image quality is becoming widespread knowlwege so in the secondRY MARKET OF USED CAMERAS IT WIL GET SNATCHED UP PRETTY SOON AT THAT PRICE ..... IM SURE it will keep a decent used price

Thanks for the input!

Posted

Thanks for the input I just didn't want to spend money and loss on an investment

Put you money in the bank and do not buy any camera. Cameras are not investments and what ever camera you buy will be worth only a few dollars in 5 years time. If you do not want to loose money photography is a bad sport.

On other hand think of this. What say because you are mean with the dollars and don't buy and keep waiting and waiting you miss the best chance you eve will have in your hole live to take a fantastic photo that may give you large pleasures and make you lots of money. Would waiting for investment potential be worthwhile then?

Posted

the only camera know to hold value are the leicas ,.... even they become alot less valueable eventually ... except for rarities

most cameras become worthless , some buck the trend and hold all their value for many years like the epson cosina digitl body

Posted

Yes, to the above couple comments. I'm a little taken aback at anyone who says they don't want to lose money. You should be saying you want to take great photos. With that attitude, you'll never buy any camera. Whatever you buy, if you do, assume you'll use it 5-10 years, period. Even better, assume it'll have almost no value after that time. This is all about taking great shots, not investments.

Posted

If you own an X100 and you like the pictures it takes and enjoy using it, it is relevant.

I have a Nikon D300. Not the latest model. I still take nice pictures with it. I love shooting with the X100 (see my B&W post here). The cameras I use are relevant. Every bit of technology becomes "last year's model." So what? You can't buy a camera every month to keep up with the latest.

Buy a camera, use it for the tool it is, and upgrade only when there is a major leap in quality or something else compelling. Photography is much more about the eye, the mind, and the heart behind the camera than the camera itself.

The rewards of shooting good pictures are what remains relevant.

Posted

So true.

Posted

Yes, to the above couple comments. I'm a little taken aback at anyone who says they don't want to lose money. You should be saying you want to take great photos. With that attitude, you'll never buy any camera. Whatever you buy, if you do, assume you'll use it 5-10 years, period. Even better, assume it'll have almost no value after that time. This is all about taking great shots, not investments.

I'd be surprised if you use the same camera digital camera for 10 years.

Posted

I still regularly use Nikon D50 from 7 years. It still takes good picture and very useful when I need small light camera. I cannot see why it not last at least another 3 or 4 years unless I break or lose it.

Posted

If you own an X100 and you like the pictures it takes and enjoy using it, it is relevant.

I have a Nikon D300. Not the latest model. I still take nice pictures with it. I love shooting with the X100 (see my B&W post here). The cameras I use are relevant. Every bit of technology becomes "last year's model." So what? You can't buy a camera every month to keep up with the latest.

Buy a camera, use it for the tool it is, and upgrade only when there is a major leap in quality or something else compelling. Photography is much more about the eye, the mind, and the heart behind the camera than the camera itself.

The rewards of shooting good pictures are what remains relevant.

Well said !!!!

Posted

Great points made throughout! I would also like to add that though film photography is not considered "relevant", many still use film cameras in this age of digital photography, there's still a large following!

Posted

I agree with much of what's said here ;)

Posted

Great points made throughout! I would also like to add that though film photography is not considered "relevant", many still use film cameras in this age of digital photography, there's still a large following!

Film and digital are to completely different area's to discus.

Posted

No, they're not. Different tools, but designed for the identical purpose.