Followers 0

ULYSSES & Gariz Case

102 posts in this topic

Posted

beautiful!!!

Posted

Pity the price though.

Posted

Really nice fit, it seems to cover more of the camera than any other. How much is it going to cost @WilzWorkz7?

Posted

Maybe it's just me but...sure, it looks nice...but it smacks of pretentiousness. It seems very much a "look at me with my gorgeous leather accessory" product. My camera doesn't need to look gorgeous & expensive. I just take photographs with it ;)

Posted

! agree with mark much prefer not to draw attention to me or camera when out shooting.

Posted

The latest NEWS, the x100 has already drawn much attention. Even when people think you are shooting film. Some people like a bit of protection. Some don't. Just reflect your character and personality. So to each its own.

@Christopher SGD207. About US$167

Posted

love this case... my favorite so far... though I love the handle of Luigi's. Rock the bling if it has function!

Posted

the other one by gariz...is very close to this. One good advantage is the metal plate at the bottom AND full access to the SD card AND battery.

1306471885_m

I might be going to Korea. And this is something I am looking into.

http://www.gariz.com/index.php?doc=bbs/mbform.php

X1002.jpg

Posted

I really like the Gariz one; like the idea of access of battery/sd card. just worry about adding weight/height to it from the metal bottom.

Posted

My gariz case and strap arrives in three days, will post pics and thoughts.

Posted

My Ulysses case arrived from Japan last night and it's absolutely gorgeous. If you like the pics of it posted by WilzWorks at the top of this thread, and aren't horrified by the price (mainly due to awful dollar/yen exchange rate), then feel confident that it delivers on the understated yet stunning appearance you see. Craftsmanship, fit & finish and leather quality are all beyond first rate.

I looked at both the Gariz and Luigi half-cases, both beautiful and well-crafted in their own right, and here were my reasons for going with the Ulysses:

1) While I liked the idea of the metal plate at the bottom of the Gariz, I didn't like that it added to both the height (in particular) and weight of the X100. Also owing to how that metal plate elevates the X100, I didn't like the way the top edge of the Gariz case falls well below the top edge of the X100 (i.e., where the black meets the silver). It just looked like a strange design choice to me. Of course, tastes differ, so YMMV.

2) Compared to Luigi's case--and this was a tough choice because it's very similar--I just thought the Ulysses looked a bit more tailored, a bit more trim and really fitted to the camera body, giving a somewhat more elegant and less clunky appearance. It looked to me in comparing photographs of the cases before I purchased that Luigi's case might be somewhat thicker (I'm talking the actual sides/bottom thickness of the case itself), which could account for why the Ulysses case looks trimmer--it's closer to the Gariz fit/thickness, but uses an even higher quality leather.

There is a metal plate sewn into the Ulysses to conform to the shape of the X100's front grip. But straight out of the package, that three-dimensional form-fitting look isn't quite there. It will take some time for the leather to wear-in around the grip beneath it.

Well, if there's a premium case purchase in the future for your X100, I hope this information helps with your purchase decision. Feel free to post questions here and I'll try to answer them.

Posted

Well, CharlesN, the very first question is where do you buy it? My Google exchange rate says $178 USD based on 13,650 Yen? Thanks, I'm intrigued. More options for the end consumer is always a good thing!

Posted

Here's a link to the Ulysses site in English: http://ulysses.jp/user_data/x100_english.php#top

Once you get on the page, look in the upper left corner for the tenso.com box -- they handle overseas shipments of Ulysses products.

Don't forget to order the strap if you want one. It's at the very bottom of the case page. The half case doesn't come with a strap. I got the standard "Classico" (not the Grande) in chocolate brown leather to match the case. Like the half-case itself, the workmanship on the strap is impeccable. You should also know that the case is avail in black, while the strap comes in multiple colors of leather.

Posted

Augh. Ok, this is probably my next purchase. However, I don't want to accidentally order a racing bicycle or something. The order form is in Japanese as well, but I suppose I can muddle through it. Now (lifting the couch cushions), if I can only find a little more spare change. ;)

Posted

Ulysses says on their Facebook page (buried in the comments of one of the photos of their X100 case) that they are working on getting an English version of their website up and running, as well as an ordering system that doesn't require you to go through the company Tenso to get your order shipped (which currently increases the price even more). It's a shame they aren't selling on eBay like a lot of the other companies because I'm sure they'd get a lot more customers that way. Their case looks lovely and I'm drooling over it, but not at the current exchange rate (almost $190 as I'm writing this, ouch).

Posted

i li,ke it much more that the luigi case , it looks really nice

im using a rainbow bimaging 60 dollar black witn red stitch job that i bought as a package with the jjc hoood a thin filter and some other stuff loke m 43 adapters

about 200 diollars of stuff and it was picked up in person in nyc over a cup of coffee at a whole foods cafe in the supeermarket , hes a warm and friendly guy

my rainboew img is coool but the firsat case in like a custom saddle

Posted

Ok, apparently you can now order this through the Facebook site... Interesting.

Posted

now, if they made the Ulysses with access to battery compartment and SD card.. but i'd shudder at the price >:)

Posted

that is one butt-ugly case

Posted

that is one butt-ugly case

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Between paying nearly 200 dollars to look nice and get something that is practical and something that is just couple of tens of dollars that do the same thing but not as well made, my vote goes to being practical. yeah I guess I saved the money for a better gear next year.

Posted

I haven't seen anyone complain about the high prices of good cases for the X10/X100 on a percentage basis.

Really, a $100 case for a $600 camera (X10) or $200 for a $1200 camera (X100)? Imagine that 16% rate on a Leica M series. That would be beyond ridiculous!

I have an X10. While a case would be nice I refuse to jump in on this craze of expensive, over-priced accessories for these cameras. It seems people have glorified these cameras to Leica status simply because of the retro styling and good capability. Manufacturers have accomodated this by pricing their accessories accordingly.

I will wait for a copy of this case at a fair price. I previously had a Leica D-Lux 4 and never found the need to accessorize that. That wasn't a "real" Leica...wait, neither are these Fujis. :)

Posted

Say what you will about price, once you've owned a fine half-case, no camera feels protected--or complete--without one. All of my M Leicas had cases by Luigi. The Fuji X series deserve as much, and $100-200 for a fine leather case is peanuts.

Posted

To me cases and all accessories are personal. If somebody wants to use them then fine that is their choice and their money and if other people want to go naked with their cameras that is also their choice. Discussion about cost is irrelevant you the individual thinks its worthwhile or not depending on your point of view and that is all the matters to you.

Let's get on with taking photos.