Christopher

Inexpensive X100 Filter Adaptor Ring Alternative

The Fuji X100 uses standard 49mm lens filters, but requires the use of an adaptor ring to make the connection and give enough clearance for the lens to extend during macro mode. If you don't plan on using the official Fujifilm lens hood, and think $50 is too much for a simple adaptor ring, I've come across this inexpensive solution on X100 user ProphecyBlur's blog:

X100 Filter and Case

"I was very disappointed after getting the official Fuji X100 case and Ring Adapter when i couldn’t fit the camera into the case with the adapter and a protective filter in place. This meant either i continue not to use a filter to protect the lens, or the nice new case i had was useless. I decided to try a little harder before giving up, and found a Cokin 49mm Extension ring on ebay for £5 which i hoped would do the trick. Success, this provides just enough room for the X100 lens to focus behind the B+W 49mm UV filter for protection. All i needed now was a lens cap, and to keep the profile down i opted for a SLIP ON and not SNAP ON lens cap, and was lucky to find a classic FUJICA slip on lens cap on ebay again that is very in keeping with the look of the X100. So now i have a fully safe filter protected X100, with its stylish new case, without (i think) detracting from the classy look of the camera."

There are a few on eBay now for as low as $6 USD, and £8 from UK sellers, take a look.

55afd1136698a__57-1.thumb.JPG.2bf562bd32

Might be a nice addition to the camera bag if you only plan on using filters on rare occasions.

Until my $5 49mm ring arrives from camerafilters.com, I removed the glass from a spare Hoya half-color filter that I had in my junk bin. I actually like the result and being able to use the original ring from the camera at the end. Might keep it like this for a while.

f8ff2590.jpg

12d14e19.jpg

That works out well, thanks for posting photos! Classy touch putting the original ring back on the end ;)

Were you able to try your screw on hood as well? I imagine with the 'extension ring,' UV filter, and fuji ring on the end it would cut out most glare.

That's what I was thinking. Until I see glare as an issue, I'll try this for a while. Won't hurt to wait a few months anyway until the supplies catch up with demand and accessories are plentiful, and with that normal prices. Function aside, the LH-X100 is serious eyecandy.

ehiris   

Too late. seems like they can no longer be found. I do want the UV filter so I don't have to have the cap on. For street photography having a cap on is not recommended.

Here are pics of the $5 49mm female to female adapter from camerafilters.com. Works perfectly and IMO looks great. BUT, it didn't stop me from ordering the Fujifilm hood and adapter camerastore.com in Calgary anyway - btw, they may still have some in stock!

30e06307.jpg

2ec9f078.jpg

Not a bad set up for the price! I'm debating buying the hood from TheCameraStore.com too, after shipping it's still a few bucks cheaper than paying MSRP here in the states - if you can even find one. Hmm what to do...

ehiris   

I ordered three (fluorescent, polarized, UV) 49 mm filters and I plan to use the Fluorescent one without the glass as the extension ring. Any tips on how to easily remove the glass?

ehiris   

Hi, here is my review of inexpensive UV filters. The Zeikos was the best with less flaring. Has anyone had experience with the more expensive UV filters like B&W or Hoya?

Which one is the best at the job and reduces flaring the most?

Filter results comparisson

Wow, that is troubling. The Zeikos filter isn't too bad, at least. What aperture were those shot at? I suspect it might get worse wide open.

This is the first time I've gone without a UV filter on my lens. It makes me nervous having to clean the front element vs a filter, but my bigger concern was flare, particularly since the front of the lens moves with focus.

ehiris   

F/4. I wonder how that Heliopan filter does. Currently looking at the Heliopan IR/UV filter. Expensive but looks good. Maybe leitztozeiss can talk about how it works on the X100. How does the B&W work for you?

I was getting reflections in my pics and stopped using the Heliopan. It's worth noting that my Heliopan is single coated only, or at least appears to be. Now that I have a cap that is usable with my non-Fuji hood, I am not as concerned about protection.

vicshad   

Free to good home Fuji x100 lens cap. Taking photos on the bridge over the Thames last week, cap drops off - plop straight into the muddy waters. So, purchased adapter ring, 49mm Hoya Skylight Filter and a bog standard black plastic (£2) pinch lens cap. Sorted.

bret   

Thanks for posting your experience! In the same situation, the adapter ring and a filter barely fit under the x100 case. Looking forward to how well this solution works. Can anyone post a photo of the extension ring + filter inside the case?

So I purchased the Cokin 49mm extension ring on eBay and does not work for attaching filters; it will not screw onto the camera and then allow a filter to be screwed on the other side.

However, and less ideal as its more bulky, this attachment allows for attaching filters to the Fujifilm x100f:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059VMH5G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1