Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daniel1

Add me to the lost eyepiece club

26 posts in this topic

Bummer! I just came back from a trip to Paris and noticed that I just lost that screw in eyepiece.

I need corrective glasses, so I thought I could buy an adjusted diopter. But just this morning, after visiting my optician, she told me that I didn't have a standard +/- correction, but that I am both longsighted and astigmatic; oh joy ;-)

To make a long story short: I need a new eyepiece (0 correction). Does anyone in the forum who bought a corrective one, wish to sell me his original eyepiece? I'm in Switzerland (for shipping costs).

I has lost mine and have replaced it with this. It's surrounded by rubber so i would assume glasses friendly, I have seen a few places recommend these as replacements, hopefully you'll find something suitable

Amazon Link

Dan

i lost mine too. didn't even notice until weeks later. i don't wear glasses so is there any harm in not replacing the eyepiece?

Bummer! I just came back from a trip to Paris and noticed that I just lost that screw in eyepiece.

I need corrective glasses, so I thought I could buy an adjusted diopter. But just this morning, after visiting my optician, she told me that I didn't have a standard +/- correction, but that I am both longsighted and astigmatic; oh joy ;-)

To make a long story short: I need a new eyepiece (0 correction). Does anyone in the forum who bought a corrective one, wish to sell me his original eyepiece? I'm in Switzerland (for shipping costs).

The equivalent Nikon part is called "FM3A/FM2/FA/FE2 Eyepiece" and consists of a black rubberized, threaded ring which holds a coplanar (flat) piece of glass. The Nikon UPC No. is 018208 02925. It should be fairly easy to find in the net.

I recently lost my original eyepiece too (and could not find it again) - I was glad I had previously bought the above eyepiece for a DIY project. I'll keep it just in case - it seems the threaded eyepiece design is very much prone to loosening.

You might call this a design mistake or very sloppy design.

I use a Abrahamsson Mini Soft Release button when I do handheld shooting. To keep this button firmly seated I applied a single drop of clear nail polish to one side of the button's threads and let it dry to tacky before screwing it in. It has never backed itself out since then though I take it off regularly to use the cable release (on a tripod). I believe this approach will secure the threaded diopter as well without detriment to the camera or optical surfaces.

@jsirevaag - great suggestion, I'm going to do that with both the diopter and the soft release button.

Slightly worrying that it's so easy to lose the diopter (and as per my earlier rants, Fuji aren't exactly helping with replacement parts) - I wonder if repeatedly pressing an eye to it causes it to loosen slightly?

At least I now know it wasn't just my carelessness when I lost mine!

@PraxisPictures - I dont know. I didn't worry when I lost mine for a few weeks, but someone on here pointed out it probably isn't a great idea to get too much dust in the finder.

Thanks for all the tips!

I just got an email back from Fuji Switzerland, they want the equivalent of 50$ for the piece! That's just outrageous :-(

I have seen some used ones on eBay for about 20$; will get one of those.

@PraxisPictures - indeed, I think the major issue is just getting the dust out of the viewfinder; I don't see any particular operation problem with the camera without the eyepiece.

I think the first day I had the XP1, I said "hmmm interesting, there's something screwed here... okay" and I never saw it again after that hehe

I wear glasses, but basically, I just look at the framelines... so I don't miss it that much ^^

I use a Abrahamsson Mini Soft Release button when I do handheld shooting. To keep this button firmly seated I applied a single drop of clear nail polish to one side of the button's threads and let it dry to tacky before screwing it in. It has never backed itself out since then though I take it off regularly to use the cable release (on a tripod). I believe this approach will secure the threaded diopter as well without detriment to the camera or optical surfaces.

I would avoid the nail polish on optical parts. The solvents in it *might* cause some bad side effects.

Almost lost my eyepiece. Luckily someone saw it on the floor and asked if I knew what it was. Yep. Thats mine.

Lost my diopter too! Seems difficult to replace. Most photo shops will tell you that they have to order it :-(

Clear nail polish worked for me. Put just a touch (in 2 spots) on the diopter threads, screw it in tight, and it's good to go. No problems.

I lost my diopter in week one of owning the camera. So I emailed Fujifilm UK asking for a replacement diopter and they have apparently (after many weeks) just posted me a free replacement part. Fingers crossed!

@Douglas - wish I'd tried that! I paid them around £20 for a replacement. Never thought to see if I could get one gratis!

I lost my diopter on a backpacking trip earlier this week. Called Fuji Service Canada and they are sending me a replacement in the mail. Gratis. :)

wex in norwich sell the fuji diopter lenses for around 15 gbp. i find the image vanishes in evf on both the xpro1 and my xe2 in bright sunlight. taking my glasses off helps apart from i now trip over everything. has anybody found an eyecup which takes the diopter correcting lenses? i gather the old nikon film series with the 19mm thread might work. has anybody actually tried one?

Right, so I never really understood how things could fall off cameras without being noticed. But now that I look at my X-Pro 1 and it is missing the standard mounted diopter! No idea how it went missing!

I am struggling finding an original Fujifilm replacement 0 diopter with rubber coating on the Internet. It seems to be refered to as a Unit Ring Finder - possibly with the part number FZ09210-100. Spotted one in Hongkong:

http://www.fujifilmshop.com.hk/products.asp?lang=en&prod=129

Not sure where to find it within EU/UK - will need to have it shipped to Denmark. Any good links or reasonably priced ideas - I do know X-Pro 2 would solve everything for me... :P

Or could it be that one of you guys have one of these lying in a drawer?