Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any compact tripod recommendations for X10?

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a seriously small and light tripod for use with the X10 (and also possibly the Panasonic G3 from time to time). I already have a Manfrotto 190, but this is just overkill when there's only a small chance I'll need it. I also have a gorillapod SLR, but I rarely find anything I can secure it to (majority of my photography is landscape).

I was looking at the Vanguard Nivelo 204BK as one possibility as it seems pretty useful for the size/weight. I'm not too bothered about the minimum extension of 100cm - if it's very likely I'll need a tripod (or very windy), I'll just take the Manfrotto.

Any thoughts or recommendations very much appreciated!

Posted

Hi Richheath

For a small camera, I kinda like this

http://www.manfrotto.com/compact-photo-movie-kit-black

the gun handle, ball head also have a good video panning feature so it allows a bit of resistance for panning. Very useful for the motion pano feature on the x10.

Posted

Ah thanks, that looks like a good prospect (and surprisingly cheap!). It's twice the weight, and a bit longer, but would certainly be a bit more useful (and probably more solid) than the Vanguard.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Posted

Thanks Knud, looks great, but a little on the expensive side for my situation.

Posted

I would say that the Manfrotto 190 with a small panning ballhead suits that size of camera great. I have the larger 055Pro that I used with my DSLR and now X-Pro1 and don't want anything less stable.

Posted

Thanks kindanatural, but as I say, the 190 is a bit much for me when there is only a small chance of needing a tripod (particularly when out on my bike), so I'm looking for something small and stashable, just in case I want to use my big stopper or do some lower grain IR. I agree, the 190 is just about right when my only intention is photography.

Posted

My "go-to" tripod when I am out hiking is the Trek-Tech T-Pod. The head kinda sucks but the versatility, size, and weight make it a winner. I always have it with me.

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/tripods.html

Good luck.

Posted

I agree on the Giottos Vitruvian too...amazing value. I have their monopod also.

Posted

I just ordered this for my upcoming trip to Mexico.

Not bad for under 25 bucks.

Posted

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. The Vitruvian looks really nice, but is not quite a fit for my needs (size/weight/cost wise). The Vanguard I originally linked to is only 600g complete, and about 35cm long. The manfrotto linked to by WilzWorks also looks like a good option. I've seen the Slik Sprint Mini II GM which might fit the bill (35cm, 780g) - anyone have any experience of this tripod?

Posted

I have a Velbon Mini-f, works great on the X10.

Posted

Had one (small) SIRIU 3pod yesterday in my hands, what a wonderful piece ..

Posted

I have th sirui T005 - works great, super light, small folded but reaches a usable height.

Posted

I've used a Leica mini tripod for several years. It's rock steady and breaks down to fit in a pocket or small bag. Not cheap but I got mine on ebay ages ago. Keep a lookout for a bargainDSCF1161.jpgDSCF1162.jpg

Posted

I use a GorillaPod and never have an issue with it.

20111230-_RLR3672

Obviously it's no good for panoramas (why bother with the in camera sweep function) or if you need a photo taken at head height on flat ground but for general use it's flexibility and ease of use far outweigh carrying around a real tripod with such a small camera.

Posted

That looks like a clever device ... may just have to go find me one of those. Thanks!

Posted

I've used a Leica mini tripod for several years. It's rock steady and breaks down to fit in a pocket or small bag. Not cheap but I got mine on ebay ages ago. Keep a lookout for a bargain

DSCF1161.jpgDSCF1162.jpg

Vintage.

Definitely not cheap...

Posted

I like the Gorilla too.

Posted

I have purchased many tripods over the years and have never used one of them.

Sometimes I use a wall but otherwise hand held.

Maybe I am missing something ?

Posted

I've used a Leica mini tripod for several years. It's rock steady and breaks down to fit in a pocket or small bag. Not cheap but I got mine on ebay ages ago.

There is one on ebay at the moment (located in California) for US$176.00