Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Over exposing

93 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

I have noticed that my copy of the camera is over exposing scenes in a way that you get a bright and detailed picture of the scene. So when I am shooting in low light, which I do a lot, the camera seems to try to expose everything as goog as possible to get the maximum of detail. But that's not what the actual scene looks like.

I have had another x100 a month ago that didn't show the same behaviour.

I read about stuck aperture blades but I have tested mine through and didn't find them stuck.

My images where also over exposed at F2.

I am so sad about this because I remember that my first copy was always spot on with the meter and white balance. Which let me to use the OVF a lot and trust the cameras metering.

It's also weird that half a shutter press doesn't show me a correct exposure preview.

The images always end up brighter then the preview.

I am usually switching between multi and spot metering.

Is this something you know?

Posted

Andre,

Did you get an answer to your question. I am having the same issue with my X100. It is overexposing images. when i hold the shutter halfway down for a few seconds the viewfinder go bright and the image records as overexposed.

Posted

I had the same issue over the weekend. It doesn't seem to happen all the time but I definitely think it's a bug. In my case I noticed the ISO would go to the MAX ISO allowed. I turned the camera off and back on problem went away for a few frames, then bam back to over exposing. When I tested this I was careful to make sure the camera position and scene were the same.

When I say over exposed I mean WAAAY over exposed.

Posted

Bigrobb2, Yes, that sounds exactly what I am experiencing. I am taking mine back to the store and see what can be done about this. I don't know if this is a mechanical problem or if it is a software problem. Have you been able fix yours?

Posted

Nope. I think you maybe waisting your time returning it. I have a friend with a X100 same issue. Hopefully it will be fixed with a firmware update.

Posted

Well that doesn't make me happy. I guess I better let Fujifilm officially know so they can add it to the list. This a bummer since it makes me not know if the camera is going to perform when I need it to. I wonder how widespread this problem and if it is a known problem to Fujifilm. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one with the problem.

Posted

I called Fuji support and it is a known issue. There is a problem with the lens and either the camera store can replace it or it has to be sent in for repair. They are supposed to be turning them around in 48 hours and ship back overnight shipping. There is no pattern to the problem, my problem started at just about 1,000 photos. It affects some cameras and not others. Sometimes the problem shows up immediately and sometimes it is after a while. Dissappointing! I will let you know how it goes.

Posted

All cameras do this. That's what the exposure compensation knob is for. No matter what the lighting conditions are, a camera will always try to expose for Zone 5.

As for over exposure, the X100 is not able to go above 1/1000th of a second if the aperture is set below f8. Use the neutral density-filter to compensate for that.

Posted

@gtrent733 Thanks for the info.

@rymdimperiet This has nothing to do with your comment.

Posted

@bigrobb2 You are welcome. I will let you know what happens when I get it back. Hopefully over the weekend as I shipped it today.

Posted

I just confirmed the blade issue with mine too :(

I put the aperture in manual mode and half click the shutter. You can see that the blades don't close properly. At the same setting sometime it closes a little some time barely at all. Ill have to call it in tomorrow or friday

Posted

@bigrobb2 Read that first paragraph of the OP again and tell me it has nothing to do with the camera over-exposing a dark scene automatically. My X100 does this too It's not broken.

Sorry to read about the sticking blades. First I've ever heard of it.

Posted

@gtrent733: would you be so nice to share some example pictures of the over-exposed pics. Just to have a comparison because mine might seem to have a similar problem...thx

Posted

I just got my x100 and took some night shots and realized it has been overexposing as well. Can you put some pictures up?

Posted

Hmm I think using the spot metering can fix the problem as well. Works alright for me :)

I think using the multi/average meter forces the camera to bring all the light into the picture as much as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Posted

@dole7 yes. when i get home this evening i will post a couple.

Posted

If matrix metering is used then the exposure depends on light distribution in the frame. If most of the frame is dark then it would look like an overexposure. But that's the way metering algorithms work. So, without seeing the picture it's hard to tell whether there is a problem.

As for exposure strategies I would recommend an excellent book by Michael Freeman "Perfect Exposure" where he deals with all these issues. And, no, I'm not associated with the publisher.

Posted

X100 test shot-0960

X100 test shot-0961

Thanks for all the viewpoints and input but Fujifilm Technical Support admitted there was an issue with the camera and are fixing it so I am going with their explanation and resolution. :)

Posted

@rymdimperiet Sorry thought you were commenting to gtrent733 and my self since Andre abandoned this thread.

Posted

@gtrent733 did they mention if the problem is with the hardware or the software?

Posted

I'm having the same issue. I'm gonna get back to my dealer and see what's gonna be done.

Posted

@jaynamana I asked before I sent it back if this was a firmware issue (I really didn't want to send it back) but tech support said it was a hardware issue so off it went. The good thing is Fujifilm moves the X100s to the front of the line for 48 turnaround and ships overnight to get it back quickly. Looking to get mine back early next week.

Posted

I'm so confused now, after reading this thread. Does my X100 have this issue? Or it happens because of me being a newbie? Help!!!

I could not trust the OVF like OP because of the same issue. This issue gets worse especially when I try using "Multi" metering with ND on in A mode - most of the pictures look washed out.

I have to set camera to spot metering and move the focus around the subject until I see the correct/better exposure is shown in the EVF or LCD display before taking a picture. Otherwise I may get a bunch of over exposed (usually not focused at the same time) shots when using OVF only...

Here is an example, both pictures taken in A mode Macro enabled - F4. The room was fairly bright. For some reason the camera decided to use ISO3200 on both pictures. 1st picture turned out to be over exposed with 1/10 shutter speed. Then I manually set EV to -0.3 and moved the focus box around the turtle until I see a better exposure/look in the EVF. I then got a better shot... is it because of the -0.3 exposure bias or 1/30 shutter speed?!!!! Help!!!! (update: I realized that shutter speed would go from 1/10 to 1/30 when I set EV to -0.3. Will continue to test device w/ multi metering instead of spot)

practice focusing shots... i didn't get the focus right :)

Over exposed

Looks better

Thoughts? Thank you in advance for helping a newbie!

Posted

I wonder how many x100s have a problem with the aperture blades sticking? My first unit had this issue and was replaced with a new one, but I'm hearing of this problem more and more as time goes on.

Posted

I wonder how many x100s have a problem with the aperture blades sticking? My first unit had this issue and was replaced with a new one, but I'm hearing of this problem more and more as time goes on.

When the aperture blades get stuck, did you hear any sound like a gear or something gets stuck inside the camera? It happened to me couple times when I turned on the camera. It made some weird "gearing" sound and LCD display showed "Please turn off and turn on camera again." I encountered the sound every single time I turned the camera on/off. I had to pull the battery in order to get the camera working again...

Had this happened to any of you who had the aperture blade issue? I just want to make sure my unit has this issue before bringing it to the camera shop i bought the unit from. Thanks.