Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

X-Pro1 - Bullfight in Spain

69 posts in this topic

Posted

A few months back I attended the last Bullfight of the season in Seville, Spain... a Mano-a-Mano match, 2 men, 6 bulls. Jose Maria Manzanares vs Alejandro Talavante, with Jose Maria as the victor. These are a handful of my favorites.

Visit patrickcavanbrown.com/blog to see more images of random things. I am going to try to post a shot per weekday all year... they will be primarily X-Pro1 shots.

Bullfight 01

Bullfight 02

Bullfight 03

Bullfight 04

Bullfight05

Bullfight 06

Posted

Fabulous images.

Posted

Bravo!!!

Posted

Great pictures! 1, 2 and 6 are my favourites :)

Posted

Great stuff - almost painterly at times?(especially the toreador vs bull in the arena vista-shot)Another VSCO Film user or?....

best

klehmann

Posted

Excellent. Some of the best posted here.

Thank you

Posted

A classic collection of shots mate,thanks for sharing these.

Posted

Magnificent!

Posted

good!

Posted

Great!

Posted

Holy cow. These really are among the best I've seen here, no BS. Bravo and gracias. Could you let us know how you did post-processing?

Posted

images 5+6 are about as good as it gets. outstanding job, thanks for posting. :)>-

Posted

looks like they are 'heavy' post-processed, that makes the pictures not natural.

Posted

Gosh, thanks y'all!! Yes, heavily modified VSCO v.1.0 for Lightroom. Kodak Portra 800+ with a bunch of my own tweaks, if memory serves. It's funny, I purchased VSCO many moons ago and never touched it... I hated it... but it really grew on me and I use it a lot now, even in my stuff for clients (though for clients I use the barely-there presets for minor adjustments only).

Posted

Theyre a little heavily PPd for me and the subject matter would be more settling if it were somewhat less glamourising the unpleasant world of maiming and killing an animal for fun.

thats referencing the last 3 images btw.

But thats just me.

Posted

awesome series!!!

Posted

on revisting later, I find the others just as objectionable, maybe more. THe PP seems to attempt to lend the images that dont feature 'action' a somewhat romantic feeling that the I feel the act of torturing an animal for delectation really doesnt deserve to have.

Of course acts like this deserve documentation so maybe a more straight PP would help, that said I wouldnt go anywhere near it just like Id go no where near a dog fight.

Posted

if they were turned B&W would they be too heavily PPd?

just throwing that out there as a real question...

Posted

@shadowdetails as I said above, for me yes. I just have no wish to go and see this or in anyway publicise it. Id rather see the act die a rather more civilised death than the bulls involved.

Posted

would you go anywhere near war? anywhere near auschwitz or birkenau? the killing fields of the khmer rouge? roman colosseum? a rodeo? a pet store? a slaughterhouse? do you eat meat?

the brutality of man is everywhere... all around you. i hated watching the bullfight, but i loved taking pictures of it. i respect your desire to never see cruelty to animals (or to man), but pose the question, shouldn't we bear witness?

Posted

really? comparing this act to nazis?

I dont go to the slaughterhouse and cheer the death of a cow.

as I say, Id choose not to go and cheer when it went the way of bear bating on western europw.

Posted

@shadowdetails whether or not one agrees with bullfighting, you've documented it quite well here.. nice work.

Posted

@amazongb I wont disgree that the photos (minus some PP) are nice, but that makes it worse and belies the actual unncessary and archaic brutality going on outside these pretty pics.

And we all know full whats going on in these places, it doesnt need more documentation, it needs shutting down in a supposedly modern europe.

Posted

When I look at them, honestly, I feel bad for the bull. But isn't that what art asks of us? To have an emotion one way or the other? So, in that sense, it's worth documenting..I haven't seen a bullfighting picture in quite some time.. so it's heightened my awareness of the brutality. I suppose we can criticize artists for their interpretations, but then where does that get us? If these photos have influenced you to take up the task of preventing bullfighting in Europe, then perhaps we should appreciate them for that purpose.

Posted

Very nicely composed photos, but slightly over PPd for me too, HOWEVER, that is just me! I think that the 'art' of photography goes hand in hand with the 'art' of the post production. The fact that it's not for me is a very emotive and subjective reason. No matter how the end result is achieved, the end result is what is viewed and appreciated, or not, by the viewer.

My biggest gripe is that people still learning the 'art' of PP kind of go over the top (@shadowdetails did say in the professional world he wouldn't apply nearly as much processing, and I do not presume he is a beginner for a single moment!) It's like HDR, I don't like it and done well, you should hardly know it's done at all, but then you get those that really push it to get this unique effect and all of a suden the feel of the picture is lost in a world of dramatic clouds behind well exposed buildings (usually in very wide angle lol)

As for the act of the bull fight itself, seeing as it's been brought up, I'm with @Mattbaber. All iving things equal. I saw a photo of a bullfighter with a bulls horn through his gut once. My reaction: "Serves him right". Its barbaric and unnecessary entertainment. I personally couldn't give a flying f*£% if the bull charged into the crowd if they are gaining pleasure from the animals torture (unless it's a small baby or such who has no choice in said 'entertainment')...

That said - I DO think it is valid to go and photograph them, I suppose even for the artistic merit - this I find difficult to form an opinion on, but these things do need documenting; it is life, like it or not, and it is happening...!!!