Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Two new unknown lenses announced at CES for 2013

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Today I had the opportunity to talk to a Fuji representative at a local camera store. He told me that at CES the representatives were told there would be two other lenses that are not on their roadmap of XF lenses. They were not told any specifications such as if they would be a prime or telephoto lenses. The link below is the Fuji roadmap of lenses.

Your text to link...

Posted

Today I had the opportunity to talk to a Fuji representative at a local camera store. He told me that at CES the representatives were told there would be two other lenses that are not on their roadmap of XF lenses. They were not told any specifications such as if they would be a prime or telephoto lenses. The link below is the Fuji roadmap of lenses.

Your text to link...

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds??? We are expected to believe that Fujifilm's marketing people show up at a GIANT publicity stunt, AKA CES, with information that TWO new lenses are coming and the ONLY tell some no name Fujifilm "representative" and NO ONE ELSE??

This simply defies credibility.

Posted

Your text to link...

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds??? We are expected to believe that Fujifilm's marketing people show up at a GIANT publicity stunt, AKA CES, with information that TWO new lenses are coming and the ONLY tell some no name Fujifilm "representative" and NO ONE ELSE??

This simply defies credibility.

He did say that they're were many Fuji reps on hand. He told me a lot more but I guess I'll just keep it to myself and see if he was telling the truth. I guess only time will tell.

Posted

I am sure everything you were told is pure fiction.

Posted

Your text to link...

Sounds reasonable. Since most knowledgeable market observers expect affordable X-Mount cameras below the X-E1, Fuji would need affordable (kit) lenses for such cameras.

Posted

A rumor that is no yet even on Fujirumors. I will not hold breath for this story.

Posted

Since most knowledgeable market observers expect affordable X-Mount cameras below the X-E1, Fuji would need affordable (kit) lenses for such cameras.

I had not heard that. Do you have any links or anything I would be interested in checking what people are saying.

Posted

Since most knowledgeable market observers expect affordable X-Mount cameras below the X-E1, Fuji would need affordable (kit) lenses for such cameras.

I had not heard that. Do you have any links or anything I would be interested in checking what people are saying.

You have not heard of it because the "rumor" is simply not credible.

Posted

This doesnt seem unreasonable? According to the roadmap, 200mm is the maximum focal length displayed, so I would not be surprised to see a 300mm (prime or zoom), even a 500mm this or next year.

There have been many discussions on here with regards to the popularity of the X system in general, and I cant speak for all regions of course, but I was struck with what a old mate from Camera World in Welles St, London said to me last week (we were workmates at Photo Optix back in the day)...

1) The X Series (especially the XE1) is massivley out-selling EOS and Nikon systems. He struggles with supply to demand at the moment.

2) Fujifilm are selling the 35mm 1.4 as a loss leader. (I struggled with this fact, as its still substantially more than Canon's equiv 50mm, but Fuji are really pushing this lens as they believe its the best one in the range optically - I wont argue with the quality either)

3) This is not a big store, but have paid up full deposits on 19 X100s already.

4) The photo retail trade in general is VERY impressed with Fuji's willingness to issue firmware to combat early glitches and imperfections. As am I. There are issues with new DSLRS from the big two brands which have not even been acknowledged, let alone addressed....and retail staff are bearing the brunt of this.

My point is, if this small UK independant is a guage of any kind, it would appear that the X-series is selling rather better than we previously thought. I realise that no longer having a Jessop or Jacobs nearby anymore cant have a detrimental effect on his buisness, but the sales of X-Series have been very strong since September.

This may be a reason for Fujifilm to think further ahead re: system lenses.

(and by the way, I have blocked FinePixCamera, but I advise taking his abrasive opinions on cameras he doesnt own with a very large pinch of salt.)

Posted

@fujifinePix I actually asked @flysurfer a question. I think it would be polite to let him answer rather than to just assume that you know everything.

Posted

@franco none of that sounds unreasonable, and for one individual to be a little naughty and say things he maybe shouldnt do doesnt seem odd either. They may be at early stages of development so theres no point doing an official announcement yet, but a few representatives may know of their development and just mention theyre working on something.

Posted

Exactly.

How you been Matt?

Posted

@franco I think that your suggestions of 300 and 500mm lenses for the X system as it currently stands are a little fanciful paricularly in the time frame. If the X system ever morphs into DSLR style bodies perhaps lenses of that length would be realistic but not with the current body style.

It's investing what you say about sales when in another thread there is reasonable evidence that less than 1000 X100 cameras have been registered in the whole of Canada in two years. I know registrations don't equate to sales directly but with the well documents issues with Fuji cameras I suspect a higher number of owners would be likely to register than the industry average.

Your comment about @FujiFinePix also shows the doen side of blocking. You can see that comments and posts are being made even when you block a user so its like fast forwarding ads in recorded TV. They actually register more than if you just ignore them in the first place. I just don't bother replying to things that are of no interest and I have no desire to drawn into long winded arguments just for the sake of arguing which seems to be a trait if quite a numb of members here unfortunately.

Posted

@fujifinePix I actually asked @flysurfer a question. I think it would be polite to let him answer rather than to just assume that you know everything.

You are free to use the PM system if you want a private conversation. You post in public place, you get a public response.

I gave my opinion on the matter, not facts. Do try to learn the difference. You will look less foolish in future.

Posted

Hi @K1W1 ,

Yeah, I take your point - this year IS fanciful, but 2014 is doable. I think. Hey, I'll guess we'll know soon enough. Or not.

Some people like to know that have an exclusive product or a niche item, some feel comfort in knowing there is a lot of likeminded people like them...I'm not fussed either way, I just felt it was interesting information.

Believe me, blocking FinePixCamera was a wise move. I dont tolerate people like that in real life, in my work or in my own creative persuits. His blocking applies to the latter. No regrets.

If he were to OWN an X-series CSC, I'd be more inclined to listen. But he doesnt. When he does (and he will, even though he bad mouths them daily - thats his thing) you can bet a few more thousand will block his ass too...

And trust me - he hates that. He has to be listened to.

Posted

In Fuji rumors I heard that the 35mm 1.4 has outsold the total sales of the Xpro 1 body and many are buying body only of the X-E1.

Also I can not order another one here. The shop referred two customers back to me for a second hand sale when I was humming and harring about my new X-E1. Keeping it now. Took it out for a walk today with its new leather jacket .

Posted

Exactly.

How you been Matt?

Good thanks. Im happy not to read what FPC says, whether its about me or not.

Posted

In Fuji rumors I heard that the 35mm 1.4 has outsold the total sales of the Xpro 1 body and many are buying body only of the X-E1.

Also I can not order another one here. The shop referred two customers back to me for a second hand sale when I was humming and harring about my new X-E1. Keeping it now. Took it out for a walk today with its new leather jacket .

I'd be surprised if the 35mm hadn't outsold the XP1. Since it can be used on both bodies the actual potential is for twice the sales of the lens compared to each camera and don't forget that the 35mm was the only lens freely available to begin with. The market for Fuji X products where you are is tiny so I don't think you can infer anything from camera/lens sales there.

One thing I've noticed recently - and this isn't taken from actual sales figures - is that the success of the XE1 has renewed interest in the XP1. It seems that the new firmware in both has re-assured previous would be XP1 buyers who were dithering over the focusing issues which now are being resolved. I suspect that some will be viewing the XP1 as a "Pro" version (both as good as one another really) a few will prefer to have the OVF and quite likely the slightly larger size and solidity of the XP1 will appeal to others (it did to me). My feeling that the XP1 is increasing in popularity comes from the increased number of posts on the various Fuji forums from new XP1 users and others showing interest in its purchase.

On the point of some users only buying a body, well I'm beginning to think about following that route myself. I have the 35mm as my fast lens general use option and the zoom as my walk around and that won't change. I think most of my needs with this lightweight kit are covered and for more serious portrait work I have my Nikon 85mm f1.8 and adapter and if I need still more reach, a 135mm f2.8 or my 180mm f2.8. Where I was originally hoping for the 56mm and 14mm lenses and/or WA and Tele zooms, I've now decided that my current portrait lens, a Nikon 85mm will be enough - and for wide angle, instead of 14mm or WA zoom, maybe the Samyang 14mm f2.8 (or one of its other guises). That would be quite a saving but the Samyang does have considerable and complex distortion. I might start a thread to ask about that.

Vic

Posted

There will certainly be a renewed interest after the new updates. Lots of people have been put off them because they were a little slow in the focus department. Now they are pretty fast and you can even just hit the shutter button now and take a grabshot in CF mode. This makes a massive difference. As for new lenses that are not on the roadmap, that would not surprise me at all. I aggree with Surfer here, that it would likely be kit zooms. I hope not though, as I like the fact that all the lenses are all high grade. It sets Fuji appart from the masses. I personly hope they stay on the road of high quality optics :)

Posted

You will look less foolish in future.

Interesting advice coming from you I will ignore it but thanks for the offer.

@franco in the absence of a reply from @flysurfer I can see the the concept of a lower spec X series entry level camera being a definite good move for Fuji. I'm thinking something like a X-E1 without the EVF just LCD. That would more than justify a lower price point while still giving resellers an option for an upsell based on the X-E1 having a EVF. If such a camera came into existence then again it would be logical to assume that lower spec "kit" lens or lenses would become available . Something like the traditional kit 18-55 f3.5-f5.6 or even a 18-100 f3.5-f5.6 with largely plastic construction would be relatively inexpensive to produce and would be ideal starters for the X series system. The DSLR manufacturers have done this for years so why shouldn't Fuji take advantage of what the buying public is conditioned to and get people into the system then sell upgrades.

Posted

@K1W1: Yep.

Posted

Thanks for an entertaining thread, guys. As usual, I can always rely on this forum for the tongue-in-cheek comments and the serious responses to them for a good belly laugh.

Posted

In the meantime in the city of Yokohama...

217563_448227891916686_816629478_n.jpg

Posted

You will look less foolish in future.

Interesting advice coming from you I will ignore it but thanks for the offer.

@franco in the absence of a reply from @flysurfer I can see the the concept of a lower spec X series entry level camera being a definite good move for Fuji. I'm thinking something like a X-E1 without the EVF just LCD. That would more than justify a lower price point while still giving resellers an option for an upsell based on the X-E1 having a EVF. If such a camera came into existence then again it would be logical to assume that lower spec "kit" lens or lenses would become available . Something like the traditional kit 18-55 f3.5-f5.6 or even a 18-100 f3.5-f5.6 with largely plastic construction would be relatively inexpensive to produce and would be ideal starters for the X series system. The DSLR manufacturers have done this for years so why shouldn't Fuji take advantage of what the buying public is conditioned to and get people into the system then sell upgrades.

Sound very logical to me. Somewhat like what the big 2 are doing. Introduce them to the system using DSLR bodies that is lacking in features we pros like but once they are hooked, the system will stick with them.

Posted

Hi @K1W1 ,

Yeah, I take your point - this year IS fanciful, but 2014 is doable. I think. Hey, I'll guess we'll know soon enough. Or not.

Some people like to know that have an exclusive product or a niche item, some feel comfort in knowing there is a lot of likeminded people like them...I'm not fussed either way, I just felt it was interesting information.

Believe me, blocking FinePixCamera was a wise move. I dont tolerate people like that in real life, in my work or in my own creative persuits. His blocking applies to the latter. No regrets.

If he were to OWN an X-series CSC, I'd be more inclined to listen. But he doesnt. When he does (and he will, even though he bad mouths them daily - thats his thing) you can bet a few more thousand will block his ass too...

And trust me - he hates that. He has to be listened to.

Franco, we in this forum has been tolerant enough too. For someone who wants to be recognised, especially by Fujifilm, then I wonder who is he peddling to with all the unnecessary negativity. I mean, would a girl marry you when you keep bad mouthing her? Either she's mad or he is in his own world thinking tough love with keep him in her good books?

No cameras are perfect. And why so many camera manufacturers can survive is because certain brands works for certain people. It is purely a subjective thing and I respect that. but it can only mean a crazy person will keep using a tool he hates to the core. If he still uses it, that means he is an illogical person.

If he is illogical, then there is really no point in posting comments since the source of the comment is illogical.